The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #3841
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
He gave a very interesting paper at my session at RotR, too.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #3842
MisterMelkor
Newly Deceased

MisterMelkor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi,
Greetings to ya! No doubt I am going to make many mistakes because I am new to online crowding (surprisingly we had no Internet where I come from).
I like the look of this Forum and am glad that you accepted me as a new member.
Lord of the rings is amazing, and I am a great fan of all the Tolkien books (especially The Silmarillion and the Hobbit) as well the films and the whole lot of Merchandise (luv the Action figures).
My Hobbies are reading, writing, making Music (piano, guitar and the harp), customizing models, gardening and collecting weather data from 30 years ago (I´ve got a nice collection of cumulus clouds).
Well there is actually Little else that might interest you, except that I am working as a freelancer and I am quiet good at cooking (in case we should ever meet as friends).

That´s it,
yours sincerely
MM
MisterMelkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #3843
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well met indeed, MisterMelkor!

This excellent forum is always looking for more Tolkien Geeks.
I look forward to seeing you around.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #3844
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMelkor View Post
I am quiet good at cooking (in case we should ever meet as friends).
It's agreed, then - the next Barrow-Downs moot will be held at your place!

Welcome, and enjoy being dead.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #3845
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thirded! Welcome, MisterMelkor! We don't bite. Well, not much anyway.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #3846
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm only fairly recently dead myself, but it's always great to see new members. Welcome indeed, MisterMelkor and Ardent!

(I'd feel a bit cheeky welcoming back monks, because he would have been here before I was).
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #3847
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Thirded! Welcome, MisterMelkor! We don't bite. Well, not much anyway.
I do.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #3848
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I do.
Yes.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #3849
Calan
Pile O'Bones

Calan has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My first post on this board was on this thread almost nine years ago - veritable Ages in internet time. I'd like to think my posting quality's improved some, and since I remembered my login details it's essentially a fresh start. Too bad there's not much to the IRC chat these days.

Regardless - still ever a fan of the books, looking forward to the second and third Hobbit movies, and currently (albiet slowly) churning my way through Histories of Middle Earth and some of the other 'extended universe' material. I've gone through Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Lost Tales I and II, and I'm in the middle of Lays of Beleriand. Lost Tales actually made me want to go back and reread parts of the Silm, but I've promised myself to finishing the HoME set I have first before doing any rereading.
Calan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #3850
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calan View Post
My first post on this board was on this thread almost nine years ago - veritable Ages in internet time. I'd like to think my posting quality's improved some, and since I remembered my login details it's essentially a fresh start. Too bad there's not much to the IRC chat these days.

Regardless - still ever a fan of the books, looking forward to the second and third Hobbit movies, and currently (albiet slowly) churning my way through Histories of Middle Earth and some of the other 'extended universe' material. I've gone through Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Lost Tales I and II, and I'm in the middle of Lays of Beleriand. Lost Tales actually made me want to go back and reread parts of the Silm, but I've promised myself to finishing the HoME set I have first before doing any rereading.
Welcome back, Calan! It's always a good thing to see slumbering Wights awaken.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #3851
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ditto. Welcome back!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #3852
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calan View Post
I've promised myself to finishing the HoME set I have first before doing any rereading.
That's an ambitious plan - I was kind of trying to do it too, but gave up when I got stuck halfway through the Lost Road five years ago. Incidentally I started it over this spring, finished it quickly and also read Morgoth's Ring before I moved on to other books.

Anyway welcome back!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #3853
Calan
Pile O'Bones

Calan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
That's an ambitious plan - I was kind of trying to do it too, but gave up when I got stuck halfway through the Lost Road five years ago. Incidentally I started it over this spring, finished it quickly and also read Morgoth's Ring before I moved on to other books.

Anyway welcome back!
Fortunately (or not), my 'set' is the Del Rey boxset of LTI/II, LoB, Shaping of Middle Earth, and Lost Road & Other Writings. I've been reading on my breaks at work, outside if weather permits - I'm sure I've gotten strange looks for reading passage and verse outloud on occasion.
Calan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #3854
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Ah okay - I thought you were going to read all twelve! And there's nothing wrong in reading things out loud.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #3855
Finlumren
Newly Deceased

Finlumren has just left Hobbiton.
Mae govannen! Im Finlumren a im dae 'wain. And for those of you who doesn´t know sindarin, nice to meet you! I´m Finlumren and I´m very new here. I am a little writer (not an author(I'm too young) of weird stories sometimes inspired by lotr, and some of them are either only partially or totally in quenya or sindarin or both. I also play some instruments.
well, that's just a little about me I suppose...I can't write everything. that would totally outboor most of you...
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #3856
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well I am sure we will find out more as we go along. Lovely to get new members.. I hope you enjoy your time here. Welcome.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #3857
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wilcuman, Finlumren.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #3858
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Thirded! Welcome aboard, Finlumren!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #3859
Finlumren
Newly Deceased

Finlumren has just left Hobbiton.
I'm sure I'll have a great time here. It seems being dead isn't bad at all.I think it seems really fun.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #3860
Roy Tmofl
Newly Deceased

Roy Tmofl has just left Hobbiton.
Hello good fans of middle eart. My name is Roy and I am a huge Tolkien fan. I believe that my favorit book of his is definitely the Silmarillion. Well anyway. I am very pleased to be here and I look forward to discussing Tolkien matters with you all.

Now if I may ask a question how might I get started role playing is any one looking for an extra player?
Roy Tmofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #3861
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, Roy! There's a subforum for RPing, here. You might want to check the Welcome thread at the top of Game Playing Forum. It has all the links to rules and how to begin stuff. RP has been slightly more dead than is usual even for dead beings lately, but maybe you'll liven it up...
Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #3862
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I must stop thinking about that and actually do something....

Old 06-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #3863
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome, Roy. Mae govannen.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #3864
Roy Tmofl
Newly Deceased

Roy Tmofl has just left Hobbiton.
Umm my elvish is a little rusty. Let's see... Well met?
Roy Tmofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #3865
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes, "Well met" in Sindarin, according to an archived Downs thread that I found when doing a google search to double-check.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #3866
tomtom
Banned

tomtom has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

i tom

tom well met
tomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #3867
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Hi!

Mae govannen! I guess I've been "dead" for a few months now but i realised i never really introduced myself! My name is actually Elyna; pronounced El-i(as in bit)-na. Just had to get that out of the way. You have no idea how many people pronounce it wrong! I could go on for ages about this but i wont't. I'm in grade 7 in Australia, and i'm obsessed with tolkien, water polo, music, acting and books. I have gone on far longer than I'd planned so thank you for reading this far. I'm looking forward to having some very interesting discussions!
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #3868
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hello again Elyna. At least your name is quite Elvish which might be consolation. It is always nice to find out a bit about new members..and nice to have some new blood. Love Australia and hope to get back there somewhen.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #3869
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welcome to the Downs, Elyna. Look forward to some great discussion.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #3870
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hello Elyna and welcome to the Downs! Nice to have new people join!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #3871
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Hello again Elyna. At least your name is quite Elvish which might be consolation.
Ha ha very true! Thanks for the welcome!
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #3872
What_about_Bilbo?
Pile O'Bones

What_about_Bilbo? has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, newly registered...er, deceased.

This is my second post, ironically. Hoping I will enjoy it here among the dead.
What_about_Bilbo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #3873
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by What_about_Bilbo? View Post
Hello, newly registered...er, deceased.

This is my second post, ironically. Hoping I will enjoy it here among the dead.
Welcome, What_about_Bilbo?! Always nice to see new wights here.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #3874
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Seconded! Welcome aboard. And nice screen name!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #3875
What_about_Bilbo?
Pile O'Bones

What_about_Bilbo? has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you Inziladun and Galadriel55 for the warm welcome!

-WaB?
What_about_Bilbo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #3876
Mirkwood Squirrel
Newly Deceased

Mirkwood Squirrel has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Hi there! This is my first time on a forum like this. I've been a fan of Tolkien's work for over 20 years now, but from the beginning I've been an audio book kind of guy. It's really interesting to see this in text because I had no idea how some of these words and names were spelled, lol. Oh I've thumbed through the books before and even had a pretty good collection of them at one time, but I've always liked the audio books better for some reason.

I'm really glad to be here in the Downs with all you!
Mirkwood Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #3877
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Welcome, Mirkwood Squirrel! Another good, original forum handle.

I hope the readers of your audio versions had read the notes on pronunciation in ROTK Appendix E.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #3878
Mirkwood Squirrel
Newly Deceased

Mirkwood Squirrel has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

There have been many audio adaptations over the years, some are dramatized nearly to the point of being a parody. Most are abridged, but there are complete unabridged versions out there although they are very expensive and fairly hard to find.

If you can find the good unabridged versions, they typically come with other media on them as well, like artwork and other extras such as the appendixes, timelines, family trees and things such as that.

Thanks for the note on my name, lol. I always liked it when they talked about Mirkwood and the wildlife that lived there.
Mirkwood Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #3879
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Great names, Mirkwood Squirrel and What About Bilbo. Mae govannen! Hope you have lots of fun here.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #3880
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome, newly deceased! It's always nice to have fresh viewpoints on our favourite topic! Mirkwood Squirrel, I'm curious - which is your favourite audio version of which book? I'm a great fan of the BBC LotR radio drama, with its wonderful music.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote