The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #41
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
You mean most Downers don't do this?
You took my words, o prince who be shadowed! But some 'downers do that more than once a year. And some even more often.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #42
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
I do that. Almost time for me to start it again...
Likewise, although last year I only got through The Two Towers, on account of a move from Maryland to Hawai'i and the subsequent packing of many books into large cardboard boxes. Now I'm debating whether to start with the Fellowship, Book IV, or The Silm, which I haven't read in three years.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #43
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I've read LoTR three times so it's not nearly every year... but I HAVE read it the last two years and I'm looking forward to reading it again in English this year.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:54 PM   #44
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dork at Work

At work I've got loads of film postcards all around my desk - to cover up the vile pink stuff that forms a baffle. I also have my Hobbits screen saver, a repeated Rivendell painting motif for wallpaper and a little shelf of Tolkien books.

Last year I was quoted in a staff journal as being famous for "knowing lots about Hobbits and liking second breakfast".

At Christmas I sent an e-mail to a senior manager saying "if you want to look up my notes, they are in the big black hardbacked book, under Gollum".
Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #45
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Oh, I'm sure a lot of us do read the books on a regular basis. I mostly re-read passages, but I think I'll take up LotR again following graduation. No rest for the wicked at university these last few years!

But if we are to honour ourselves, we must honour Christopher Lee. And other famous dorks as well.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #46
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
Woot

Im pretty open to my friends about my Rings obsession, and theyve kinda caught on (to an extent... )

But Tolkienology is on my mind about 75% of the time, allegorically and literally.
________
Lamborghini Islero History

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #47
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Almost all of you out-dork me. I'd have my library-computer room at home all decked out in Middle Earth map and various calendar folios if my better half let me....

My greatest dork moment was when, as a teacher at a high school, for a talent show, I read "Riddles in the Dark" ... in the dark .... (except for a flash light to read by) to the entire school body, doing Gollum's voice. 'Yessss, my precioussss, that was very very nice, it wassss.' The kids loved it too. At least the ones who were as dorky as me.

The EE are the only DVDs I own.

I did a verbal book report on LotR once; laid the books down dramatically one by one to the groans of the entire class - they were sure I was going to go on and on like I had done over a mere 150 page book the month before - but I took a mere three minutes ... or less. "You remember The Hobbit that 'so and so' reported on? How Bilbo found a ring? Well, in these books that Ring is discovered to the property of the Dark Lord, and he wants it back. The story is about how they try to keep the Dark Lord from getting his Ring back." End of report. I got an "A". A dork victory!

I play werewolf and talk about it excitedly with my work buddies who are all younger than I am. They get big smiles. I'm sure they enjoy my stories about it, honest. They're not really thinking "what a dork", uh uh. No way!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #48
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I was dorky and proud today in my music history class. We were talking about program music vs. absolute music, and I referred to how Tolkien stated that the Lord of the Rings was not allegorical, but rather applicable. And I said that this could work for music as well -- the composer might not necessarily have a certain topic in mind, or he might have a different idea than the impression the listener gets, but the listener's impression is still valid.

My teacher thought I was extremely dorky.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #49
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I play werewolf and talk about it excitedly with my work buddies who are all younger than I am. They get big smiles. I'm sure they enjoy my stories about it, honest. They're not really thinking "what a dork", uh uh. No way!
So when are you playing again? You're sorely missed over there, y'know.

Or better yet...when are you modding?

Anyways, I also talk about Werewolf to my non-LotR-reading friends, and occasionally they ask me if I'm still alive or whatever's been happening. Something tells me they're just trying to be polite, or not make me look like a complete Lhunatic.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 AM   #50
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
So when are you playing again? You're sorely missed over there, y'know. ... Or better yet...when are you modding?
Since playing werewolf is dorky, I guess we can talk about it here. I plan on getting my feet wet as soon as ATM1 is done; after that I want to mod one: dueling wizards, if there's enough interest....
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 AM   #51
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Mod! Mod! Mod!

Quote:
[A]fter that I want to mod one: dueling wizards, if there's enough interest.... (LpM . . . errr . . . lmp)
I assure you, there is.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #52
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuna
Anyways, I also talk about Werewolf to my non-LotR-reading friends, and occasionally they ask me if I'm still alive or whatever's been happening. Something tells me they're just trying to be polite, or not make me look like a complete Lhunatic.
Hah, I've gotten some of my friends to ask me about Barrow-Downs dealings... I told a friend that my character is getting out of Mordor and he said "Yay! Go you!" Because AtM was all I talked about for quite some time.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #53
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
I rock out to the song Minas Morgul, while I run around my room deciding wear I'd mount an entire replica set of the Witch-King of Angmar's battle armor. Well, besides pondering all the times I could wear it in public...

Hello, my name is CaptainofDespair, and I am a Witch-King fanatic.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #54
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This is really long. And boring. Wow. *snooze*

Hi. My name is Alice and I had a problem.

I read The Hobbit when I was eight or nine, but didn't have a problem 'til 1999, when my Dad read aloud LotR to us every night 'til it was read through.

Then, even as he finished and my brother and I were discussing the end, Dad revealed to us that he had read in the paper that a movie was being made. I shall never forget the Look my brother and I shared, for it was the beginning of the rest of my life.

First of all, after memorizing entire poems and lines of text, I scanned the papers every day for mention of this new movie. Every time we went to town, I went with bated breath and pumping heart, hoping that we would make a stop at a bookstore so that I may ogle the many copies of the LotR. I thought about LotR, I dreamt about LotR, all I talked about was LotR. My mother had many talks with me about my "obsession", but there was no stopping me, for I was fourteen and in love.

Finally at one trip to Borders, on my beeline towards the Fantasy Section, I spotted a small sign advertising the Lord of the Rings movie. My heart stopped, and I spent nearly all my time there staring at the now-famous silhouette of the Fellowship, and I jotted down the two website addresses that were there.

At my next trip to my Grandparent's (for we had not the Internet then), I visited those two sites, and lo! on one page was a rudimentary cast list, so early in the production that Stuart Townsend was still listed as Aragorn!

And thus came a full-force obsession, for I would scan the tv-guide listings in my paper every day and cut out the names of actors and actresses,
and any mention of LotR at all. When we finally got the Internet, I would spend all my precious half-hour allotment searching out LotR.

And then - I read that Burger King would be doing a LotR promotion, and that someone's sister and brother whom I knew years ago were working there and liked it - I *had* to get a job there.

Once secured of a job, I proceeded to collect all the toys, goblets, tray liners, cups, fry cartons, posters, etc. that was humanly possible. On the offchance that one of my co-workers would read LotR, I would pounce on them and Tolkien their ears off. Ironically, the only real big LotR fan there left a few months after I started, and days after I discovered he was a fan.

Then I got the Internet. Whooieeeee! During the previous years, I had written several parodies, so I searched out parodies then. There I found the Barrowdowns, but I did not realize the significance of this discovery yet. I did find a small messageboard dealing with the works of Tolkien, where I first found my little space of the Web.

Things escalated from there, and after several other websites, I found this forum waaaaaay back in the day when it was "Middle-earth Mayhem", but even then I didn't realize the worth of the place until the start of "Make Your Own Crazy Scene With Pics!" started up, and then the rest is history.

I still have every article, comic, or mention of LotR actors/actresses that appeared in my local paper.

I remember begging my restaurant owner if he knew if we would do the TTT promotion after FotR was done. He laughed.

I have seen FotR seven times in the theater. The first time was a week after it opened.
I saw TTT five times. The first time was opening day.
I saw RotK three times. I made a cloak and dressed up for the midnight showing.
I own all three DVDs, as well as the EE DVDs.
I still have all the BK stuff somewhere in my closet.
I have eight posters, ten or so bookmarks, three different copies of LotR, the LotR soundtracks, and still a head full of Tolkien knowledge.

I remember the sad, sinking, futile feeling when the FotR release date was pushed back a week - I remember thinking a year before the original date "Oh, I have to wait a year and a week instead of a year...how will I stand it?!?"

In short, I owe everything I have now - job, friends, life, depression, sense of humor, music - to LotR.

I don't know when I lost the huge obsession, but I'm rather glad it's gone. It was exhausting.

I pick up LotR every once in a while and read a chapter, usually I start again when I finish, so I never really stop reading it.

So yeah, I guess I'm still a dork.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:00 AM   #55
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
Since playing werewolf is dorky, I guess we can talk about it here. I plan on getting my feet wet as soon as ATM1 is done; after that I want to mod one: dueling wizards, if there's enough interest....
Ooh...count me in!

What do you mean I'm off-topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelmi- er, Enca
Hah, I've gotten some of my friends to ask me about Barrow-Downs dealings... I told a friend that my character is getting out of Mordor and he said "Yay! Go you!" Because AtM was all I talked about for quite some time.
What a pleasant change! I'm sure a lot of BDers are quite envious...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #56
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Problem? What problem?

Apparently I'm relatively normal...won't my roommate be pleased!

Three weeks into my first year of college, my friend (recently met) and I held a birthday party for Frodo and Bilbo, at which we read Bilbo's birthday speech, played LOTR Monopoly (which my brother got me solely so I would play with him), watched the Fellowship, and had cupcakes. We ended up having 23 people join us at various points, mostly because of the food. She has marveled at us revealing our dorkiness so early in the year, and that we actually have friends since then!

With that same friend (and my poor roommate), we had a marathon on October 22, and we toasted Tolkien with one of his own poems at dinner (in front of quite a few people) on January 3.

The posters on our walls include the Fellowship movie poster, a map of the world, a map of Africa with all the Peace Corps locales marked out, a picture of the Hale-Bopp Comet over the Perrine Bridge in Idaho, and a set of four John Howe maps of Middle-Earth, and a picture for the Minnesota State Fair done by the artist who does the covers of Harry Potter (my roommate's, I swear), not to mention the picture of Gollum I put above my roommate's head.

I brought two of my action figures to school with me, along with my One Ring. Of the "fun" reading books I own (18), 10 are Tolkien-related. I still have more at home.

I turned down participating in another marathon because it wasn't on a "significant day", plus I was scared of the boys involved (slightly immature is an understatement).

In my history class (Jihad and the Crusades) last semester, we would end up talking about LOTR or Monty Python every day. Mostly because of me.

I am planning on a history/English major largely because of Tolkien.