The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #41
shadowfax
Animated Skeleton

shadowfax has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
Especially after the Rohirrim arrive, since such a message might re-hearten Sauron's troops (however much Sauron may have relied on his troops fighting to the death out of fear of him, or because he could sort of puppet them (I'm thinking of the Trolls here.) there are presumably SOME officers among them (probably mostly men) whose battle tactics are a little more complex than "we have the numbers, meele randomly until we out swarm them. If your army is going to use trebuchets, battering rams and cavalry (not to mention barrusry) you sort of have to).
If I recall correctly, the realisation that the Corsairs were bearing reinforcements for the enemy did in fact dishearten Sauron's troops. So even if he considered them to be of little tactical value, they caused immense damage to morale. And even a relatively small amount of preparation might have seriously impeded the advance of the rangers, for example protecting the river banks with archers or even ambushing and delaying them further upstream or floating snags on the river. This might have taken but a relatively small detachment of the overall force being deployed on Pellenor at the time. It probably wouldn't have permanently stopped Argaorn's advance, but could have won valuable time and avoided the demoralising effect of Aragorn appearing on the main battlefield. Thus my own conclusion is that Sauron was unaware of who was on the ships.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #42
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Under those circumstances I am forced to agree. It just seems to me to be an extreme level of myopia on Sauron's part, to be so focused on the siege that he would not bother to ever check on potential reinforcements nor send a message to his lower downs on the field to do so (especially when you consider he has access to a flying force whose PRIMARY use seems to be conveying messages quickly. But then again, that IS sort of one of Sauron's flaws, being unable to see the forest for the trees.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote