The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #241
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
I liked Legate's Elrond as well.

On Gandalf- I'm not sure, let's see what Nogrod thinks. I think Gandalf needs to sound older, like Nogrod's voice.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #242
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What do you think Nogrod? I love Nogrod's Gimli, very much so, but Gandalf needs to sound in the same tone as Nogrod does...so I think it would be wise, if it came down to it, to cast Nogrod as Gandalf/Bilbo instead of Gimli/Bilbo if we had to. Again, let's see what Nogrod would prefer, and what everyone else thinks.

Also- I had an idea the other day. I'm not sure how many of you know about FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com - but it is a website, kind of like MySpace (although I think it better) where you can sign up and make your own page. Facebook used to be just college networking, but now anybody can join regardless of age. It is spam-free, unlike MySpace, and what I like most about it right now is the ability you have to create a Group. I already have two groups dedicated to two of my other main interests, and I was thinking that once we have a full cast and start the project it would be nice if we created a Facebook Group for our project. Not to sell it, only to share it and it also could be used as a secondary communications device aside from the BD. I was thinking of calling it something like "The Lord of the Rings - The Ring Goes South - A Barrow-downs Production". Don't worry about copyright laws, because there are countless Facebook groups dedicated to LotR and Tolkien already in existence.

Incase you aren't familiar with Facebook Groups, you can assign people in your group certain titles, and those show up on the side. For example, we can list every person involved and under their name display their title (ex: who they play in the production). I already have all of the details for the group worked out so if I get the approval of all involved I can commence, and then I will send you all the link via e-mail.

So, does everyone like this idea? Let me know!

Last edited by MatthewM; 05-08-2008 at 10:34 AM.
MatthewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #243
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Because Nogrod's Gimli is so good, I think we should exhaust all other possibilities before we decide to cast someone else in the part.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #244
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Because Nogrod's Gimli is so good, I think we should exhaust all other possibilities before we decide to cast someone else in the part.
Yes, Nogrod is a great Gimli and he likes doing it, so I say he should do it. It's about having fun, after all.

I listened to Legate's voice clip today (in school, and actually was late for a lesson because of that ). I think he makes a very good Aragorn. Really. (Maybe it's because his voice and tone resemble a little those of the actor who played Aragorn in a Finnish miniseries in late 80's or early 90's and who was very good in his role...) He'd make a good Elrond too, and I think he'd not definitely be bad as Gandalf either - although, it's a bit difficult to say because Gandalf doesn't shout all the time after all...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #245
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well I wasn't implying to switch Nogrod's role, because like I said it's totally up to him. I think he is brilliant as Gimli, maybe I worded it wrong. I was just trying to say that we should be careful with Gandalf because his role is extremely pivotal.

Who is in the run for Aragorn? Gwath and Legate? (correct me if I forgot anybody)

Frodo? Volo and Mac? (again , correct me if wrong)

Are these two characters, along with Gandalf and Elrond,the only ones that have not been casted?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #246
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
Are these two characters, along with Gandalf and Elrond,the only ones that have not been casted?
I think so.

Quote:
Also- I had an idea the other day. I'm not sure how many of you know about FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com - but it is a website, kind of like MySpace (although I think it better) where you can sign up and make your own page. Facebook used to be just college networking, but now anybody can join regardless of age. It is spam-free, unlike MySpace, and what I like most about it right now is the ability you have to create a Group. I already have two groups dedicated to two of my other main interests, and I was thinking that once we have a full cast and start the project it would be nice if we created a Facebook Group for our project. Not to sell it, only to share it and it also could be used as a secondary communications device aside from the BD. I was thinking of calling it something like "The Lord of the Rings - The Ring Goes South - A Barrow-downs Production". Don't worry about copyright laws, because there are countless Facebook groups dedicated to LotR and Tolkien already in existence.
I wouldn't have anything against that, but I know at least one anti-facebookist in this project group. But I too think we might need some external site through which we could operate this as the Barrow-Downs' possibilities of sharing stuff seem quite limited - it's a discussion forum after all. (PS. Matthew, you might like to check this out...)
Old 05-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #247
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I wouldn't have anything against that, but I know at least one anti-facebookist in this project group.
I think you're referring to me Lommy... I'm no "anti-facebookist" but I just haven't found any reason to start a facebook account. I mean really I have just a limited number of hours on any given day... And to make a facebook account would mean that you should have the time to throw those beavers to one and another not-seen-in-twenty-years-old-friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
But I too think we might need some external site through which we could operate this as the Barrow-Downs' possibilities of sharing stuff seem quite limited - it's a discussion forum after all.
If everyone else is in the facebook and the site has a great (easy, limitless and easily accesible) interface to share audio-files I might join facebook just because of this project.

But we might as well create a shared account to any of the net's audio sharing sites. Like xanga or any other sites there are. We just create an account with a name and password we can share between ourselves so that anyone inolved can get into it?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #248
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Volo's latest can be heard here.

I will make a trial for Gandalf the next week just to get a comparison...

McCaber where are you? Have you done the parts to the elves and hobbits in Rivendell or are you doing it in the first place? Or Caradhras... or the getting out from there - meeting the wolves or other?

I'd just like to know what you're doing so as to see which are the settings I could / should try myself.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #249
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice reading Volo. Thanks for that, Nogrod.

I personally think Volo would be a good Frodo.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #250
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
I personally think Volo would be a good Frodo.
I think so too. Better use my youthful voice as a strength and not a weekness. But I also think Nogrod would be better as Gimli.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #251
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Nogrod- I really haven't devoted much time to the music yet. This is finals week for me, so after this I should have plenty of time.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #252
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
Nogrod- I really haven't devoted much time to the music yet. This is finals week for me, so after this I should have plenty of time.
No hurry! It seems this will stretch to the summer anyway. But if you have any preferences just let me know. I think we should use my compositions to cover the first actual walking and the Hollin-part as they can be neatly intertwined and I've done alrerady some work to build that. So would you take the Rivendell section and do you wish to take also Caradhras and what follows? Or should we exhange ideas on either of them?

I think we should try to make the casting in May and then people could start making their recordings in June. With good luck and lots of work we might have something ready in July.

Which means we should actually start making some decisions.

And to begin it: I do vote for Volo to be Frodo as well.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #253
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I listened to Legate's voice clip today (in school, and actually was late for a lesson because of that). I think he makes a very good Aragorn. Really. (Maybe it's because his voice and tone resemble a little those of the actor who played Aragorn in a Finnish miniseries in late 80's or early 90's and who was very good in his role...) He'd make a good Elrond too, and I think he'd not definitely be bad as Gandalf either - although, it's a bit difficult to say because Gandalf doesn't shout all the time after all...
Thank you. Although possibly I should be careful with further recordings, so that I don't make your education suffer... or then tell Nog to make shorter clips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I think you're referring to me Lommy... I'm no "anti-facebookist" but I just haven't found any reason to start a facebook account. I mean really I have just a limited number of hours on any given day...
Well I could second what you said here - although this recording would be a reason to make an account, what is exactly the reason why we can't just stay with the Downs?

And I think Volo would make a good Frodo. Now before I say the next thing, I would like everyone to know that this is not meant like an insult (especially from me I should make this clear, I think ) - he sounds like Elijah Wood.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #254
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post

Well I could second what you said here - although this recording would be a reason to make an account, what is exactly the reason why we can't just stay with the Downs?
I just thought it would be a good idea, to display our hard work so that other LotR fans can hear it and appreciate it (hopefully!)

So this is what we have then concerning casting?

Narrator - Oddwen
Frodo - Volo
Legolas - Nerwen, or Mac? Has this been decided?
Gimli - Nogrod (or, if Nogrod decides he would rather do Gandalf, who then?)
Boromir - Matthew (me)
Sam - Brinniel
Merry - Lommy
Pippin - Greenie
Bilbo - Nogrod

So, we need an Aragorn, Gandalf, and Elrond. My vote is for Legate playing Elrond, but I'll leave that up to the majority vote and of course to Legate himself. For Aragorn and Gandalf I am torn. I remember really liking Gwath's Aragorn. I would like to mention though that I have a good friend who has some acting experience as well who would love to be a part of this project, playing a character if possible. He's going to be making a BD account any day now and will have a recording sent your way. I know he fancies Legolas, but I know we already have a decision to make concerning him. He has a good voice so we'll see what everybody thinks.

Ok everybody I am very, very excited about this!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #255
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Volo's Bilbo sounds a great deal like Yoda. In a good way.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #256
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

EVERYONE!

I have created a FACEBOOK group for our project. Feel free to join!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17035870763

Let me know what you think.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #257
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Well done. We could just as easily share the news on the Barrow-Downs facebook group - and reach a larger audience, too - but this works fine.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #258
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Keeping in the spirit of character, check out these pictures of me in my Boromir attire, taken the other day-

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...=Boromir12.jpg

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...=Boromir15.jpg

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=Boromir1.jpg
Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #259
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'm going to be in Romania for a week an so will not be able to do anything meanwhile... But I have a few ideas we're going to try with Greenie as comes to the music - some flutes and voices, a duetto or a quartet... We'll come back with them after my trip is over.

And we should still cast a few characters...

Althoug I'd say all those having clear roles already could start recording their parts any day now. Just take it easy and don't hurry with your lines! And try to minimize the background hum.

Let's do this! It's worth it!

PS. Nice pics Matthew even if Boromir's sleeves are a bit too dandy! But surely there's Boromir in you!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #260
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I just had the uncertain vision that Volo also sings in our school's choir!? Correct me if I'm wrong Volo. I could arrange a voice for you as well to make it richer - whether you're in the choir or not?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #261
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I just had the uncertain vision that Volo also sings in our school's choir!? Correct me if I'm wrong Volo. I could arrange a voice for you as well to make it richer - whether you're in the choir or not?
Haha! Unfortunately I'm not in the choir. Ironically enough the first thing I did when I came to the school in autumn was to go and ask the music teacher about the choir and how to enter it. I went there once and loved it, but... well, the usual story, too much to do, too tired, blah blah ww blah blah blah.

And ironically or not, but funnily enough (to me) I sang into a microphone* for the first time in my life today. I finally decided that it really matters little if my singing sounds horrible - it was quite hard to get over the traumatic experience of being told to shut up by a person I really respect on my Protu camp when I finally (at the end of the camp) dared to join the campfire songs. Haha, I even bought guitar chords today inspired by my music lessons. I'll have to bring the guitar to school to ask the teacher for help in stringing the guitar, since last time I tried that one of the chords snapped, and that was like a year ago.

So yes, I'd enjoy joining your idea! Do note, however, that I have no sense of rhythm and absolutely can't recognize notes. In a way it makes life easier. Anything I listen to sounds good and even the worst quality doesn't bother me. I can fill my mp3-player with double the songs this way by having them of the lowest possible quality, and although my earphones are pretty much broken, I can't hear the difference.

*or nearly, I was singing behind two girls who were singing into the microphone, so I couldn't sing into it directly, but I would have if I could.

Yes.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #262
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Haha! Unfortunately I'm not in the choir. Ironically enough the first thing I did when I came to the school in autumn was to go and ask the music teacher about the choir and how to enter it.

And ironically or not, but funnily enough (to me) I sang into a microphone* for the first time in my life today.
These things are no coincidences...

Quote:
Haha, I even bought guitar chords today inspired by my music lessons. I'll have to bring the guitar to school to ask the teacher for help in stringing the guitar, since last time I tried that one of the chords snapped, and that was like a year ago.
I know Reijo (our music teacher) is busy this time of the year. Bring them to me and I'll help you out with them on the last week of school (or tomorrow at lunch-break). I've done stringing of guitars for thirty years or something...

And yes it's nice to hear you could join our "LotR choir". Let's come back to that thing in the beginning of our holidays?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #263
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I made a couple of recordings with an actual microphone. They're better, but still weird. There's a nasty hum that is not the result of close proximity to my computer. I'll send them in while I try to find a better microphone.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:42 AM   #264
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Goodness, Noggie and Volo you're making me laugh with all that school stuff... it seems so out of place here. I mean, what would Reijo say if he knew he was being talked about on a forum like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogs
Althoug I'd say all those having clear roles already could start recording their parts any day now. Just take it easy and don't hurry with your lines! And try to minimize the background hum.
Making "final recordings" or just practicing/"trailers"?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #265
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I have the same question. Come back Nogrod, we need you!

I have an idea for people like myself who have really crappy mics and get that ringing noise in the background. It might help out if we put something over the microphone, like one of those noise covers. Maybe that would help? I have yet to try it out but I will in the upcoming days.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #266
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I was reading some microphone tips, and advice they gave for those who "pop" when they talk, they recommend a guard made out of wire & an old nylon - or something similar will work. I don't know if that will help at all with your hum, though, that might just be feedback you can't help.

Also recommended is putting your microphone on something firm but not too firm, such as some cardboard, because a hum from a computer can resonate through hard surfaces. Maybe some paperback books?

I got a new microphone today - it's a USB headset, and sounds much better. Unfortunately, it's allergy season and my new microphone magnifies my nasality at least four-fold.

Three tries

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #267
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I got a new microphone today - it's a USB headset, and sounds much better. Unfortunately, it's allergy season and my new microphone magnifies my nasality at least four-fold.

Three tries

I know your pain - my allergies are killin me!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #268
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Poor you and Matthew. I have something allergic-ish and to think that your allergy is not ish, hrr, oh dear.

Oddiewoddie, I laughed at the second try and your third is deffinitely the best. Keep it slo-o-o-o-oo-ooow.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #269
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Poor you and Matthew. I have something allergic-ish and to think that your allergy is not ish, hrr, oh dear.

Oddiewoddie, I laughed at the second try and your third is deffinitely the best. Keep it slo-o-o-o-oo-ooow.
I do agree- you have a great voice, just slow down!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #270
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Information, please: what are we meant to be doing?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:42 AM   #271
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Information, please: what are we meant to be doing?
Everobody seems to be waiting for Noggie to show up... and that won't happen until Sunday or Monday - he's currently in Romania.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #272
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod #259
I'm going to be in Romania for a week an so will not be able to do anything meanwhile...

And we should still cast a few characters...

Although I'd say all those having clear roles already could start recording their parts any day now.
That's all I can say for my part right now. I'll be back next week even if quite busy but my vacation starts on May the 30th and then I will have a lots of time.

But do start recording your parts - those who have clearly designated parts already. And let's discuss the rest of the parts as well. I received a sample of voices from Gwath but haven't the software or time to mix & send them to be listened until early next week.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #273
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
I just got my hands on a mike, so I can step in with a male part and a tenor line for Nogrod's chorus.

Now to find a part.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #274
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I believe the open roles right now that have some possibilities but no definites are:

Aragorn
Gandalf
Elrond

and what about Legolas? Are you Nerwen officially cast as Legolas? I don't think we ever made that official. I remember there being a few people suggested for Legolas, one being Mac, I think?

I personally think Legate would make a great Elrond, and I want to hear Gwath's piece, but I remember thinking he would be a good Aragorn.

edit: Just went back and listened to Gwath's Aragorn, I think he would fit the part great. Obviously, him and I have to work on our microphone situations...I am working on it!

Last edited by MatthewM; 05-22-2008 at 10:19 AM.
MatthewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #275
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Yeh. I found an old external microphone, but it's got problems of its own - some kind of nasty hum that won't go away and isn't caused by the computer. But I'll talk to my friends and see if I can borrow me somethin'.

Does anyone know of free recording software on the internet? My computer only allows me to record minute-long clips.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #276
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I use Audacity - it's fairly simple, and is free, and I've been happy with it.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #277
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

This thread is in horrible need of a bump---

to the question, nobody has answered.

What does everyone think of Gwath as Aragorn? Gwath, what do you think?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #278
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Nogrod has a couple more clips of mine incoming, so you might want to wait and listen to those; in them, I do Elrond, Gandalf, Aragorn, and Frodo.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:27 AM   #279
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Nogrod has a couple more clips of mine incoming, so you might want to wait and listen to those; in them, I do Elrond, Gandalf, Aragorn, and Frodo.
I'm trying to upload it later today. Sorry but my hands are full of essays and the DW II starts soon and needs some finetuning still.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #280
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Gwath's latest can be found here.

As you can hear there still is a lot of hum in the background - which is sad as like Gwath's voice. Let's hope there will be a solution to this...

And thanks McCaber for joining the choir! As I have time to arrange it I'll send you an example and the score with the beat (this will mean something like the next week the earliest). Let's see how it will work.