The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 02:16 PM   #841
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Can someone please tell me the difference (if there is one) between fantasy and "fairy tales"? (The kind that don't necessarily involve fairies?)
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 06-09-2003, 02:41 PM   #842
Nimiriel
Animated Skeleton

Nimiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Nimiriel
Silmaril

Airerűthiel: It would be a great idea to have all the questions in one place! If anyone has time to look them all up and put them in a new post or a whole new thread. It would make it a lot easier for people to start answering, and I would enjoy answering them all myself, just don't have the time to read through all the messenges.

Writing original fantasy? Meet the Wordweavers at Fww
Old 06-09-2003, 03:12 PM   #843
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Lyra, I'm not sure Tolkien would have thought that there is a difference. Other than a few random comments, I'm not really qualified to answer, but--

Have you read lmp's thread, It feels different near the Shire?

I wonder whether I would classify LOTR as an "epic fairy tale romance". Tolkien called it a "romance" in his letters (as in Epic romance?) while I think he thought of The Hobbit as a fairy tale. I should look it up. Do you have a copy of Tolkien's letters? And have you read "On Fairy Stories"?
Old 06-11-2003, 01:40 AM   #844
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lyra, what you need to read is Tolkien's 'Essay on Fairy-Stories' that usually comes with the short-story 'Leaf by Niggle'. The essay discusses that very topic (along with others).

Hey LMP, are we allowed to continue to post on this very thread, this 22 page thread, or do we need to start 'AYWSF Part 2'? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

See you later!
~M
Old 06-11-2003, 05:33 AM   #845
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, im writing an alternate history of australia, its pretty complex, so i wont bother to explain it right now.. but still. I have imagination! hurrah for me!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 06-13-2003, 07:19 PM   #846
-Hallanárë-

Sting

I'm writing a story called The Epic of Ma'ra'u. I've been working on it since last fall. It is divided up into four main parts. Plus a prequel i m writing and another my friend is writing. I have drawn up maps, made up an elven language of my own, drawn up a deep history for the world and much more. Plus i m also writing a follow up about the original main character's son who knows nothing about his father. my main story, so far, is full of lore, history, love, war and a the ultimate goal to unthrone the malvolent beast that has assume power in the east. if u wanna no more email me.

Old 06-13-2003, 07:32 PM   #847
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Good for you Meela! Alternate histories are always the best! I'm currently working on a historical fic of Alexander the Great, but due to lack of research resources, it isn't in very good shape.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:26 PM   #848
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Quote:
It would be a great idea to have all the questions in one place! If anyone has time to look them all up and put them in a new post or a whole new thread. It would make it a lot easier for people to start answering, and I would enjoy answering them all myself, just don't have the time to read through all the messenges.
Funny you should mention that. I've scanned the whole thing and extricated the questions (why? Oh... for my own diabolical purposes at FaerieWordweavers, join if you want to know [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]). Imagine my surprise and delight when I got to the later pages and saw that Jay had quoted all the questions, so I could have just copied them from his posts. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

At any rate, I have them on my word processor, but I'm going to be rearranging and rewording them. So! If this thread gets closed but someone still wants to continue it, get in touch with me and I'll give you the list (once I've finished it).
Old 06-15-2003, 03:43 AM   #849
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Diamond, I think it would actually bebetter to go through the entire thread and create a list of everybodys answers rather than just mine. In fact, I think I may just do that.
By the way, check your PMs!
I think it really is time to start an AYWSF II.
This thread's been great, but I guess it has to be closed to save bandwidth. But, now that it comes to it, I dont feel like parting with it. After all, why should I? It's mine, my own, my preciousss.

Question: Does anybody else here enjoy writing cos they love destroying entire kingdoms, or is that just me? I mean, it is fun. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2003, 08:38 AM   #850
Nimiriel
Animated Skeleton

Nimiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Nimiriel
Silmaril

Jay: I think she ment copying the questions from your posts, not the answers... but anyway a list of all the answers would be interesting too.

If we start a AYWSF II we could start it with the list of questions from this thread. But of course most of you HAVE answered those... I don't know.

No matter what I'd like to have that list myself once it's finished.

Writing original fantasy? Meet the Wordweavers at Fww
Old 06-15-2003, 09:02 AM   #851
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

In answer to the question: Are you writing serious fantasy:
Well I've been trying. I wrtie lots of stories that are detective, fantasy etc but I never seem to finish them! I just stop and forget about them. Not because I can't come up with an ending oh no far from it my friend... I don't know what it is. I've been writing this fantasy in a fantasy world about this girl but one day I just stopped writing and never went back. I started another story, not fantasy, soon I'll stop writing that as well. Does anyone have anything that would help me? I've never finished a story! I have about ten of them! All really good from my point of view. Many inspired by Tolkien and other writers.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:05 PM   #852
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Yes, I meant just the questions. Copying the answers would be... let's just say I don't want to be the one to do that. At any rate, I have the question list done. It's four pages long in my WP, and I my have de-Tolkienized it a little because I was doing it for FWW. So that might be a problem.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:44 PM   #853
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Pipe

I'm not writing serious fantasy, but a friend of mine is. She's been working on it for about a year in her spare time. She has a few chapters so far and it's REALLY GOOD. Not to be blasphemous, but I would say it's up there with Lord of the Rings.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:47 PM   #854
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I finally finished half of my initial manuscript for my first book, but it still needs severe editing and revising. In the beginning, all my stories are great, then they hit a slump, then I somehow get a second wind and then they get better again.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Closed Thread