The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #1961
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I laughed at work today when I saw that we had new sticky notes that read "Rivendell Psychiatric Center", but then after a while of laughing I realized that it made sense.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #1962
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
You know you are obsessed with LotR when your friend (Lauri) and yourself are so "disruptive" in class because of your LotR and BD conversations that you are told to shut up, by other students...
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #1963
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
You know you are obsessed with LotR when your friend (Lauri) and yourself are so "disruptive" in class because of your LotR and BD conversations that you are told to shut up, by other students...
Has that happened? I don't recall. But it probably has.

Or when you find yourself subconsciously writing Pippin on publicly used choir sheet music...with little hearts around his name...
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #1964
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
you know you're obsessed when you decided to date a guy from BD itself when you met him in school... not naming names!!!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #1965
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
...Or the willingness-to-murder-his-relatives thing either, I hope?
yeah... he once got mad at my dad... but it didn't go that far!

Legal Madness.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #1966
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Has that happened? I don't recall. But it probably has.

Or when you find yourself subconsciously writing Pippin on publicly used choir sheet music...with little hearts around his name...
First of all, yes it has! Don't you remember art w/ you know who? He was always telling us to shut up!

And that piece of music got passed around and half of choir (all six of them) didn't know who Pippin is... And K always got the Pippin music...
Old 08-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #1967
Babidi Buu
Wight

Babidi Buu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Babidi Buu
You know your obsessed with LOTR when...

1. You go someplace to watch fireworks, thinking Gandalf will be the one lighting the fireworks off.
2. You go to watch either The Elephent man and/or the goonies and all of a sudden... "Oh My God! It's that Orc!"
3. You see a crow and the first thing that comes to mind is "Crabine from Dunland!"
4. Watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and think.. "Are these guy's the same Dwarves that got the seven rings?"
5. Think that a Lighthouse is Actully the Eye of Sauron and the Tower of barad-dur

That's the end for now. Hopefully nobody beat me to any of them :P
Babidi Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #1968
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babidi Buu View Post
3. You see a crow and the first thing that comes to mind is "Crabine from Dunland!"
Haha, that actually reminds me of me and my dear sister Greenie and a friend of mine playing Elves when we were small. There was a crow and I shouted "Crebain!" and hid and my friend thought I really was afraid of the crow.

Quote:
4. Watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and think.. "Are these guy's the same Dwarves that got the seven rings?"
That is too bad.

Anyway, welcome to the 'Downs, Babidi Buu.

To add one sign of addiction, I think it fits that you almost accidentally quote LotR and then you are disappointed that your sister doesn't continue with the next line...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #1969
Legolas1
Pile O'Bones

Legolas1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Legolas1 Send a message via Yahoo to Legolas1
Sting

Has anyone mentioned this yet?:

When you pick up anything that resembles a stick you pretend your aragorn.

I know i am defo obsessed with them!!!!

legolas1 out!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #1970
Legolas1
Pile O'Bones

Legolas1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Legolas1 Send a message via Yahoo to Legolas1
I have another!

when you have slightly too long, slightly too pointed ears like me and you go around telling everyone your an elf!

I do that all the time!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #1971
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

you tend to see Elves everywhere. and fall in love with them, at some extent.

Legal Madness.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #1972
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When you get sent pictures by a proud new grandmother and have to resist focusing overexcitedly on the child's perfect tiny and pointy ears

And wishing the small girl on the bus named Arwen would emulate her namesake and sit quietly...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #1973
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

(are there really parents who name their kids after LotR characters? if so, I haven't met them, nor have I met a child named after a book character. well...not in this country where spanish names are often used.)

Legal Madness.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #1974
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Clearly yes... but some are more conspicuous than others - I remember there was a cheer leader called Eowyn at the Moomba parade in Melbourne I went to and Terry Pratchett met a Galadriel and asked her if she were born in a Welsh hippy commune. However because Sindarin is derived from Welsh many lower profile Elvish names could pass for Welsh names.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #1975
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When, in the midst of a maelstrom of baby noise, you hear Adrian Chiles on The One Show say "Lord of the Rings" and both your heads shoot up and you go "Oooooh" and turn up the TV....only to both go "Oh" in disappointment and look away again as you realise it's just a bad pun (Lord of the Wings - oh pur-lease) referring to an item on butterflies.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 AM   #1976
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
When you use instances or characters in LotR to try & explain other situations/characters in other stories, or explain what you think about them.

Maybe not funny, but something i've done. Despite the fact that the other person has never read LotR. :\
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #1977
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
When you use instances or characters in LotR to try & explain other situations/characters in other stories, or explain what you think about them.

Maybe not funny, but something i've done. Despite the fact that the other person has never read LotR. :\
I happen to do that a lot. Not just with LotR. With the whole Tolkien thing. Years and years of reading and rereading has somehow managed to make me memorize certain bits. Happens all the time with me and my guy, my brother, and my dad. All of them not remembering too well what they have read, so basically sometimes when I quote from Tolkien they hear me "speaking German again" (where did that come from? I have no idea!). Sometimes the Tolkien fan in me gets carried away even inside the Philippine Literature in English classroom, and I get told virtually everytime, "while some of Tolkien's writings may be arguably universal, your feet is on Philippine soil and your butt on a Philippine Literature classroom."

Legal Madness.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #1978
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've just bought my 62nd copy of LotR!, I have no place for food in my cupboards.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #1979
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
I've just bought my 62nd copy of LotR!, I have no place for food in my cupboards.
Whatever do you do with that many copies, Narfforc?

Legal Madness.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #1980
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

To be honest Lindale I have had to have my cellar converted into a library, I have also got 43 copies of The Hobbit, numerous copies of The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, and over 200 other Tolkien related books, some people collect stamps or such, I collect Tolkien. Every copy has a different cover, some have drawings inside, I still can't afford a first edition set yet though.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #1981
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ach, then you have the money to spend, Narfforc. I only have one copy each of all the Tolkien books I have. That is saying something, really, if you live in this wretched country, having LotR, TH, UT, Sil, Gawain, Farmer Giles & Smith, HoME I-V, and Children of Hurin. Sil, UT, and Children of Hurin I did not even buy in this country; I had my dad buy them in Europe a few years ago. Then to my dismay I saw a couple of months ago those same titles in the local bookstore, and at a cheaper price when you convert euro to peso.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #1982
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I bought a lot of the books on Ebay, and the Tolkien related books at Oxonmoot.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:37 AM   #1983
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Quote:
To be honest Lindale I have had to have my cellar converted into a library, I have also got 43 copies of The Hobbit, numerous copies of The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, and over 200 other Tolkien related books, some people collect stamps or such, I collect Tolkien. Every copy has a different cover, some have drawings inside, I still can't afford a first edition set yet though.
I'll have to tell davem to tell you if he gets to hear of any more cheap sets on the grapevine, which is how he got his, from a private sale. They aren't an early impression, which is one way of getting a set a bit more cheaply - can't remember how much they were but it was less than £100. I've seen 2nd edition sets sell for a lot more than that.

Anyway, shelves of books make good house insulation, so when bills soar this winter it will have been a good investment
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #1984
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hi Lal, I have rescued quite a few from second-hand/charity shops. The last copy I bought was a paperback special limited edition for The Cannes Film Festival 2001, I got that from Barnado's for £2. My earliest editions are Second/Fourth Impression 1969, however I have the 1968 (First time in one volume) Hardback and Paperback. My earliest Hobbit is 1959. If I see any Tolkien book in a Charity shop, I rescue it. If I already have it then I give it away to friend.

P.S The Lord of the Grins is finished.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #1985
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Hi Lal, I have rescued quite a few from second-hand/charity shops. The last copy I bought was a paperback special limited edition for The Cannes Film Festival 2001, I got that from Barnado's for £2. My earliest editions are Second/Fourth Impression 1969, however I have the 1968 (First time in one volume) Hardback and Paperback. My earliest Hobbit is 1959. If I see any Tolkien book in a Charity shop, I rescue it. If I already have it then I give it away to friend.

P.S The Lord of the Grins is finished.
Early editions of The Hobbit are rare as hen's teeth. davem keeps looking for them but they're very expensive. I think our earliest ones are 70s ones! By the way, try Southport for 2nd hand bookshops and charity shops, there are loads of them.

I hope you kept the Barrywhite in....
Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #1986
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When I think of the History of Middle Earth every time I type, or write, the words home.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #1987
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Tolkien

There must be at least one LotR-obsessed person in your house if the following dialogue can occur:

Mum: "Whose Bible is on the sofa?"
Me: "Bible..? I haven't been reading the Bible, for sure, and I don't think Greenie* has either."
Mum: *appears at my doorstep grinning amusedly and holding my very old and dear copy of LotR*

I think that was pretty amusing. My mum is lovely.

----
(*I obviously used her real name of her, though... )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #1988
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
There must be at least one LotR-obsessed person in your house if the following dialogue can occur:

Me: "Bible..? I haven't been reading the Bible, for sure, and I don't think Greenie* has either."
Mum: *appears at my doorstep grinning amusedly and holding my very old and dear copy of LotR*
Although I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is the Holy Scripture, it is certainly an important book. More in some houses than others as it seems!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #1989
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post

I think that was pretty amusing. My mum is lovely.

----
(*I obviously used her real name of her, though...)
Your mum has incredibly great sense of humour
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #1990
Nessa Emerald
Newly Deceased

Nessa Emerald has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

-when you get through the first two pages of this thread and steadily begin to work through reading all of the pages...agreeing with many of the posts!
Nessa Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #1991
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
...all the ideas you came up with for your painting final have to do with Middle-earth. (art geek, ahoy!)

(Unfortunately, i have to work from photographs, & the pose i need so that my proportions don't look horrifically off is nowhere to be found. /babbling)
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #1992
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
You nearly die from reading most of this old thread and your old posts. The spelling is very bad.

You think about putting on the elf dress that you kept from prom.

You can't help but tag Glorfindel any time he EPs in Millways_bar, even if he doesn't like your vampires.

You have a Tasselhoff Burrfoot and Glorfindel thread going on at the moment.

You want to make a Hobbit doll for you grandmother for Christmas.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #1993
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Anyone who visits my blog will know about The Mothership Television we've just had delivered.

The first full film has already been watched and it was....Fellowship of the Ring! All the way through we kept going "Oooooh! Look at that!" because of all the detail and colour (and sound) revealed for the first time.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #1994
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Well, I don't know where else to put this, but while reading Mr Davem's post in the thread 'Fantasy'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
if Tolkien had included rape in the story I would require him to present it in realistic terms . . .
My first thought was, "The rape of the Silmarills". It took me a moment to realize he didn't mean rape in the same way.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #1995
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Last week I had a quite strong experience during the Old Testament studies course, translating the tale of the trial of Abraham (Genesis 22). It was my turn to read the Hebrew text and translate. That's no hard text, so I could translate right from scratch, so I read: "Take your son, the only one of yours, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moria..." And even upon hearing my own words, I felt filled with horror - I mean, when you look at it (or hear it - you may try saying it aloud), doesn't it really sound all too scary?

I just imagined Abraham by the dark pool, carrying some firewood on his back, knocking on the door with the hilt of his dagger and saying "Mellon!", while his poor son keeps looking around in terror...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #1996
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

My goodness, that does sound scary when you say it aloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I just imagined Abraham by the dark pool, carrying some firewood on his back, knocking on the door with the hilt of his dagger and saying "Mellon!", while his poor son keeps looking around in terror...
And God sends The Watcher to grab Abraham's hand just before he stabs Isaac!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #1997
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know you're obsessed with the Lord of the Rings, when you are sitting at luch having a nice little discussion about a play that you are going to see, and somebody from down the hall exclaims "And your soul was stolen by a hobbit.", and you turn the corner and say "What? I wasn't stolen by a hobbit, no I was stolen by Morgoth!" And they didn't have the foggiest notion of what you just said!

Or when you are sitting outside the school waiting to be picked up by your mum, and you start talking to someone that you don't even know, about the internet, then the Barrow-Downs, and then you're having a discussion about Middle-Earth, and LotR! She says "Do you like Lord of the Rings?" then looks at the Ring hanging around my neck, and realises what a silly question that was.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 02-23-2009 at 11:10 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #1998
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
And God sends The Watcher to grab Abraham's hand just before he stabs Isaac!
Actually, not. It's so that upon being warned not to lay his hand on the boy, Abraham suddenly looks and sees a Watcher who has his tentacles stuck in the doorway, and he sacrifices him instead of Isaac
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #1999
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Last week I had a quite strong experience during the Old Testament studies course, translating the tale of the trial of Abraham (Genesis 22). It was my turn to read the Hebrew text and translate. That's no hard text, so I could translate right from scratch, so I read: "Take your son, the only one of yours, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moria..." And even upon hearing my own words, I felt filled with horror - I mean, when you look at it (or hear it - you may try saying it aloud), doesn't it really sound all too scary?

Oh my goodness - I cannot tell you how much I laughed when I read that! It's blasphemous-ly amazing...

You know you're obsessed when on long drives you start identifying landmarks that resemble locations in Middle Earth. I found a perfect Edoras on my last trip.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #2000
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

You know you're addicted to LotR when you now have a framed map of Middle-earth hanging up in your room... because it's your birthday present.