The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #121
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Never.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #122
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
You guys are hot.

She said eloquently.
Hooky that thing about suing, forget it, I am in that picture, I'm the handsome one Lush
Old 09-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #123
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

I know it. For real.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #124
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Oxonmoot was too short, but socially it was very good. Although I do fear that Squatter, Hooky and have scared everybody away. Especially our "Did you know that Edward the Confessor. . ." game seemed to strike fear into our enemies (and friends) hearts.

I arrived in Oxford quite early and had many hours to kill before check in before the others arrived or even check in to my hostel. I spend most of these in The eagle and child, here the bartender served me some awful drink named "Snake Bite" that the youth of Enlgand apparently like, I found it truly awful. Later I moved to the lamb and flag, I must have waited 30 min. or so before Hookbill showed up and later so Narfforc.

The three of us had great fun and not only did we solve all the worlds problems, we also established the fact that Narfforc lives in a pond.

It was really great to talk a bit to Narfforc this moot (last year he was not too well), I also talked alot more with Guinevere this time arround.

Bethberry is a truly lovely person with a great sense of humour, also she is very tolerant. . .she showed that by spending hours in the company of drunken versions of Squatter and I.
I especially liked it when she asked us "did you guys invent each other?"

I also met up with Kath monday afternoon in London before heading home to Copenhagen.

Maybe, just maybe, I will make a more structured entry and post it on "I met a fellow. . ."

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #125
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Pipe A Downer Photo

My hair looks like something the cat dragged in, but for some reason I insisted on having it a different way each day.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #126
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Oxonmoot was too short, but socially it was very good. Although I do fear that Squatter, Hooky and have scared everybody away. Especially our "Did you know that Edward the Confessor. . ." game seemed to strike fear into our enemies (and friends) hearts.

I arrived in Oxford quite early and had many hours to kill before check in before the others arrived or even check in to my hostel. I spend most of these in The eagle and child, here the bartender served me some awful drink named "Snake Bite" that the youth of Enlgand apparently like, I found it truly awful. Later I moved to the lamb and flag, I must have waited 30 min. or so before Hookbill showed up and later so Narfforc.

The three of us had great fun and not only did we solve all the worlds problems, we also established the fact that Narfforc lives in a pond.

It was really great to talk a bit to Narfforc this moot (last year he was not too well), I also talked alot more with Guinevere this time arround.

Bethberry is a truly lovely person with a great sense of humour, also she is very tolerant. . .she showed that by spending hours in the company of drunken versions of Squatter and I.

I also met up with Kath monday afternoon in London before heading home to Copenhagen.

Maybe, just maybe, I will make a more structured entry and post it on "I met a fellow. . ."
He gave you Snake Bite? I don't think anyone has drunk that since about 1987 when Goth was at its height and everyone went about in a preacher hat and drank Snakebite and Black.

Ewwwwww....you deserve a medal for attempting that stuff.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #127
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
If anyone is wondering why I am not in that picture, it is because it's a secret.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #128
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
He gave you Snake Bite?
My reactions exactly. I remember drinking that a very long time ago, on occasion, in a very ironic kind of way. The subsequent hangovers were sadly anything but ironic.
In short, I think the barman was taking the wotsit.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #129
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
My reactions exactly. I remember drinking that a very long time ago, on occasion, in a very ironic kind of way. The subsequent hangovers were sadly anything but ironic.
In short, I think the barman was taking the wotsit.
I think everyone has to try it once just to see how grim it is, and to say they've had it. But it's quite a long, long way from a nice way to get drunk. For the same reasons, also avoid Special Brew and any home brewed beer a student might offer you. Ewwww....
Old 09-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #130
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Whoah Snakebite! Severe, Rune, very severe!

Maybe Barliman thought you were a Fresher - that could explain it.

(pint of 1:1 mix of cider and lager for those unfamiliar, and back in the day livened up with blackcurrant and one or more shots of vodka, and possibly drunk through a straw, frankly I'm surprised I remember anything of '87!)

Saying that though I tried Stella and Grenadine in France and it was surprisingly OK.

Ooops sorry distracted by booze, Hope you all had a great time in Oxford!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #131
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I would not have objected to the snakebit had it not been for the fact that it was made of the worst bevrages in the world! (Strongbow and Fosters)

Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #132
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I loved Morse!

I have tried to watch that spin-off "Lewis", but I am not overly fond of it.
Morse rocks, and the first episode of Lewis rocks as well.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #133
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Oxonmoot 2009

As Rune said, Oxonmoot was too short, though lovely. (I had to cope with the difference between it and Oxonmoot 2008, which was a day longer. Even then, I admit, I thought it a little too short!)

While I had met Esty and other Downers at Oxonmoot 2008, I didn't join till after; so it was nice to meet you all in 2009 as a fellow Downer!

I spent a few days in Bath, the first time I'd been there, and went over to Oxford on the Thursday. Esty and I had arranged to meet at 4.00 p.m., to look at the Bate Collection of Musical Instruments, which we did, and found it very impressive.

We wandered around Oxford, later had dinner, and said goodnight. We unexpectedly met up on the Friday morning in Blackwells; and I was able to show her some of the sights in that bookshop!

In terms of other remarks, I agree with what Esty said about the weather and the food. (I first met her at Oxonmoot 2007, also held in Lady Margaret Hall, my memories also including the food.)

I was at Jessica Yates's talk on Astynax, which was very good. I didn't get the opportunity for any more talks; because I was preparing for the panel discussion I was doing with Esty, and for my own talk later. Sadly, her talk and mine were on at the same time; so we gave summaries to each other on the Thursday.

The first picture posted does me justice, the second doesn't; but that was my own fault!

It was great to see people again, including fellow Downers, as well as newcomers!

Last edited by Faramir Jones; 09-30-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Needed to add something
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #134
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Bah. You should have gone anyway. RL friends are for uh, real people. Which we are emphatically not. Hope you decide to go in 2011!
Oi! What about me? I'm not worthy enough to be your friend anymore?
Old 10-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #135
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Having returned home just last night (if I'm going to pay all that money to fly across the pond, I'm going to stay for more than a weekend), it appears I am the last one to post about Oxonmoot. This was my first Oxonmoot and a thoroughly enjoyable, fantastic time it was, a great delight in being amongst so many Tolkien enthusiasts. Lady Margaret Hall, although a bit of a hike from the centre of Oxford, provides an idyllic setting amidst its gardens, excellent fare, and none too shabby student accommodations.

I will be posting on the "I met a fellow Downer" thread, but to complete the picture of Oxonmoot I thought I'd post a few more photos of the festivities.

Before the masquerade party we enjoyed a barbeque on the garden terrace. Some of us are missing, but I'm not going to photoshop anyone in--that's Hooky's speciality. Here's Squatter, Poison Ivy, Hookbill, a Downer-in-training, Faramir Jones, and Estelyn.

Estelyn has sewn a book to collect her Tolkien adventures and souvenirs and it includes a page for Downers' signatures. Here's a look at that page:

Enyalie at Tolkien's gravesite commemorates not only The Professor but the friendships we have formed from sharing our enthusiasm for his work. This year we also paid respects to someone who has ably supported that thirst for information and understanding. Humphrey Carpenter's grave is a short walk away from Tolkien's. If ever I am able to attend another Oxonmoot, I will remember to bring flowers to his grave.

I had met Estelyn and Squatter five years ago--five years!--but this year it was a great delight to meet other Downers--Guinevere, Rune, Poison Ivy, Hookbill, Faramir Jones, narfforc. Kudos to the Tolkien Society for providing such an opportunity.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 10-02-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #136
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post

(pint of 1:1 mix of cider and lager for those unfamiliar, and back in the day livened up with blackcurrant and one or more shots of vodka, and possibly drunk through a straw, frankly I'm surprised I remember anything of '87!)
Snakebite with vodka in it? Frankly, sir, I'm surprised you're still alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
Enyalie at Tolkien's gravesite commemorates not only The Professor but the friendships we have formed from sharing our enthusiasm for his work. This year we also paid respects to someone who has ably supported that thirst for information and understanding. Humphrey Carpenter's grave is a short walk away from Tolkien's. If ever I am able to attend another Oxonmoot, I will remember to bring flowers to his grave.
Yes, I remember seeing Humphrey Carpenter's grave, and also John Tolkien's grave which is nearby. Did you see that too? Though I think the TS do put some flowers there.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #137
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
I spend most of these in The eagle and child, here the bartender served me some awful drink named "Snake Bite" that the youth of Enlgand apparently like, I found it truly awful.
We have something for the youth here called "Purple Jesus" that I believe must be similarly awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
I'm not so sure it's tolerance or simply inertia. I mean, at one point I was deciding on which session to attend (when there were conflicting sessions, something that happened with regretable regularity), simply by choosing the one which would be followed in the same room by another preference. Although I do enjoy good humour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Yes, I remember seeing Humphrey Carpenter's grave, and also John Tolkien's grave which is nearby. Did you see that too? Though I think the TS do put some flowers there.
Father John had already passed on when I was last at the cemetary, five years ago, so I knew where to find it. I don't recall that the TS placed any flowers on his grave, though.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #138
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I found a neat little album of photos from Oxonmoots past and present... well... past anyway. Spot as many Downers as you can.

LOOK HERE

There's a good one of Esty from this year up there.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #139
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Nice find! I've just been having a nightmare moving files around to the new computer and found a load of photos from Oxonmoot 06, 04 and Birmingham 05. I'll have to bung them into a folder on Facebook (I spent part of this evening making a folder of photos of trees though so this shows you how much I procrastinate...).

I spotted some folks I've met on those - now I will never again say "if I go next year" because you know how ruddy useless we are at getting organised , but if I do, then you'll have to meet a couple of lovely real 'old timers' we know who have some fabulous tales to tell.

EDIT - I've just found a really old pic of davem on that Flickr stream

Last edited by Lalwendë; 10-04-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote