The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Werewolf CXI - The Black Breath Ward

As the sun rose over the city, many in its midst walked out into the crisp morning air with only a slight apprehension in their step. In the Ward, however, no one awoke early. The houses were silent and dark, though rustling leaves skittered across the roads and tree branches scraped against the walls of some of the residences.

A scream pierced the chilly air and the residents of the Ward burst from their temporary lodgings to see the source of the noise.

Even with the dim light creeping over the city walls, the corpse was unmistakable. As the guards lifted the body, his red hat fell from his head and a tearful Sally crouched to pick it up, roughly shoving the item in her bag.

"Sally! What's happened?" Lalaith emerged from her assigned cottage and tried to get a better look, but was blocked by the guards, who were hoisting Phantom into a small cart.

"The Black Breath took him," Sally sobbed. She wiped her face on her sleeve, turning her back on Phantom as she addressed the group. "Please, there's nothing you can do for him. I'll make some tea, and then you should all get some more rest."

"Unacceptable!" shouted McCaber. "He was fine yesterday. A bit grumpy maybe, but he made fun of Nilp, so I assumed he was doing okay."

"Uh, McCaber?" Dun nudged his neighbor, then pointed toward the dark building toward the edge of the Ward. "You know Nilp died a week ago, right? Don't you remember? He sang a love ballad at the wall, then fainted into a gigantic bowl of noodles and never woke up."

"That's not the point!" shrieked Sally. "Could you show a little respect for the dead?"

"She's right! And who will take our reports to the guards now?" cried Kuru. "Phantom was always our representative!"

"Don't remind me," muttered Nerwen, rolling her eyes. "Maybe my sun and stars could take the reports?"

"Not every time, my queen," replied Shasta nervously. "I don't feel up to it, and that's a lot of pressure for one person."

"After all," agreed Lottie, "not everyone is Phantom."

"Are we sure Phantom was human?" asked Boro, but no one heard him, for at that moment, the gates to the morgue creaked open and Phantom's body was taken inside to join Agan, Gal, Nogrod, Formendacil, and so many others who had fallen to darkness before him.

"What do we do now?" Lommy whispered, but Legate just shook his head and embraced her, turning away from the morgue entrance.

Silence fell over the remaining patients, and though someone eventually spoke, their voice was so weary, it was impossible to identify its owner.

"Only five more days...."

Patients
Nerwen
Kuru
McCaber
Lottie
Lalaith
Lommy
Legate
Dun
Boro
Shasta

The Morgue
Phantom (for posterity)

It is now Day 1. Please remember to highlight your votes for who you want to report to the guards.

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 10-26-2016 at 09:34 PM.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote