The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
Rowan14

Silmaril Rowan Atkinson as Tom Bombadil

So i was racking my brains thinking who could of played tom bombadil best when the name rowan atkinson came to mind.....
Old 02-09-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Therefore you would have Miranda Richardson as Goldberry...........
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Um...in a word, NO! Argh!!! I don't know what he's like in Johnny English because I never saw it...but seeing him in Blackadder and as Mr. Bean...*shudders*.<BR>Hmm, who exactly is Miranda Richardson? Is she some kind of interior design person? I konw her name but I can't place it exactly...<BR>I don't know who could play Bombadil to be honest. I don't think anyone could do him justice without looking like an utter fool and to be honest I'm very glad they left him out. He is almost the only character I have a fairly clear image of in my mind for some reason...possibly because he's so weird...
Old 02-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Who is Miranda Richardson? WHO IS MIRANDA RICHARDSON?????????<P>Miranda Richardson created one of the finest female parts in sitcom history when she played QUEENIE in Blackadder II.<P>i think that Tony Robinson would be better, personally. Not as Baldrick, obviously, but he strickes me as a rather Bombadil- ish person. maybe.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:47 PM   #5
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>i think that Tony Robinson would be better, personally. Not as Baldrick, obviously, but he strickes me as a rather Bombadil- ish person. maybe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I can see it now...(to Frodo and Sam as they run screaming through the Old Forest), "Don't worry, young hobbits. I have a cunning plan." (cue groan) <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

If you've ever heard the word jovial, its a great word to describe that happy-go-lucky woodland fellow. Rowan Atkinson has comedic cunning, but he's just not jovial enough for the part. I don't believe that would work out.<P>It's hard to say who would make a good Bombadillio, but I'm sure there's someone somewhere. He's not the easiest character to play, though he does have a very blunt nature at heart. Not Rowan Atkinson, though.<p>[ 5:54 PM February 09, 2004: Message edited by: Kransha ]

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #7
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Failivrin, I salute your most excellent taste and judgement. Indeed, one of the most gifted comediennes of our age...the thought of Ms Richardson as Goldberry makes me grin from ear to ear. It would be a highly entertaining performance but not perhaps one to please orthodox Tolkienists...
Old 02-10-2004, 06:19 AM   #8
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rowan Atkinson would have been a great Wormtongue. If you've ever seen him do his face....imagine that face when Wormtongue arrives at Isengard and the Ents have destroyed it and then Treebeard lifts him from his saddle. <P>As for Tom....maybe Robin Williams.......or Jack Nicholson! I'm sure he'd have made a great Denethor.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #9
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Very sorry for not knowing who Miranda Richardson is... *humbly falls to her knees and begs forgiveness*<P>Ahh, Lyta! I can just imagine Baldrickillo doing that! Argh!!!<P>Like I said, I'm not sure anyone could have pulled it off. He is a character of many sides...an enigma...it would be impossible to please people, simply because people see him in different ways. Ok, I'll stop babbling now, because I don't think that made any sense...
Old 02-17-2004, 05:05 AM   #10
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Maybe Ricky Gervais of The Office's David Brent fame as Bombadillo? Just imagine him doing 'that dance' to entertain the Hobbits at night, and getting the old guitar out, ("Free love on the free love highway...")

I agree with Noxo... on the Rowan Wormtongue thing, it would basically be reprising his role in Blackadder I. While we're on the subject of comedians doing different parts, how about Bill Bailey as Gollum and Eddie Izzard as Elrond (don't know why, it would just be funny)
Old 02-18-2004, 05:29 PM   #11
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
I can just see Robin Williams as Bobmbadil. Oh, My. Sorry, but that REALLY doesn't work. Come on, I really don't think Robin Williams could do it. He makes everything (I take that back, Almost Everything) into a comedy. Also, have you ever heard Robin Williams SING? I haven't. And knowing him, I think he wouldn't do a very good job at it.

I really don't know who would be able to Play him. Bill Murray maybe. Or Maybe not. I don't know what do you think?
Old 02-21-2004, 03:30 AM   #12
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Brian Blessed! Big, deep voice, no idea what it's like for singing, usually smiling.

But then again, I might keep thinking of him in Flash Gordon with wings, and that doesn't really meld with old Tom. But I had to do that, just because I've seen it so many times on Dead Ringers.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:54 PM   #13
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
*In a big, bellowing voice*"Hello little Hobbits, I'm Brian Blessed, Guffaw guffaw!"

Brilliant, a stroke of genius! I always thought good ol'Brian could pull of any role as long as he shouted loud enough.

I was thinking about who could play Beorn in The Hobbit (apart from Brian Blessed that is) and came up with John Bonham of Led Zeppelin, if only he were still alive...and an actor.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #14
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
HAHA! I'm now totally sold on that Mirada Richardson/Goldberry idea. I can just imagine her coming in and goind 'Tommy! I was having this absolutely SCRUMMY dream about ponies!'

Hmmmmmm, i am finding this Bombadil idea hard. Maybe the Tony idea wasn't that well thought through. Ummmm, i'm trying to think through some really good actors and the only one i can come up with is Kevin Spacey and he just is NOT right . Jack Nicholson would be far worse though; he would be gurning hideously throughout the whole thing. The only person Jack Nicholson can play is Jack Nicholson now.

For those of you in the UK, I think Ray Mears should sing the Bombadil songs:rofl:
Old 02-21-2004, 04:00 PM   #15
SneakyHobbit

Pipe

Hmm, I don't know about Rowan Atkinson... I haven't seen any of his movies, but I've seen him. He just doesn't seem like a Tom Bombadil to me. A couple of actors crossed my mind, like Robin Williams, as someone else said. But that could've got some serious-Tolkien-people really angry if they put him in and messed it up. Some of the movie-flaming posts I've seen in other forums scare me! People got mad enough about things like the warg-scene in TTT, and I don't think anyone could, to quote Elentári, "do him justice".
Old 02-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #16
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots Rowan Atkinson!!??

Talented though he undoubtedly is, Rowan Atkinson is no Tom Bombadil.

Funny, but Brian Blessed's name always comes up in "who should play Tom Bombadil" discussions. He would certainly look and sound the part, but I don't see him capturing the wiser side of Tom's nature. Blessed, bless him, is best when playing loud and hearty but somewhat foolish types.

My choice would be Billy Connelly. He's got the build and the hair, he can sing and he can certainly act the fool, but he also has more depth to him. Mind you, with his Scottish accent, some audiences might be led into thinking that Connelly's Tom was somehow related to Boyd's Pippin.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:13 PM   #17
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Rowan Atkinson would have been a great Wormtongue. If you've ever seen him do his face....imagine that face when Wormtongue arrives at Isengard and the Ents have destroyed it and then Treebeard lifts him from his saddle.
It would have to be a reaallly good face to even slightly make up for all the other parts he would've botched .

I personally can't think of anyone that could play Bombadil, maybe PJ just gave up searching & devoted his time to making up other excuses for not putting him in .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:27 AM   #18
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
re: Bill Bailey as Gollum.

I know Bill is a massive LOTR fan (just listen to him every week on nmtb), but did I hear correctly that he actually went for a part in the movies?

I know that fellow brit comedian Johnny Vegas went for the part of Sam, and that another comedian Slyvestor Mccoy (have you seen him in doctor who!!!???) was pipped to the post for the part of Bilbo by Ian Holm.

Actually, I think the 7th Doctor would have been good for Bombadil, but just imagine Bonnie Langford as Goldberry!!!!!!!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote