The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2002, 05:39 AM   #1
Isenguard

Sting The Hobbit: The Movie?

I know there's already been a similar topic, but still... How do you think, what are the chances that after such a great success of the LotR trilogy someone (no necessarily PJ) will decide to make The Hobbit movie - as a prequel? After all - there's a golden Hollywood rule to make sequels for any more or less successfil movie, why not use the obvious opportunity? I mean, on the current wave of LotR-mania it would be just too easy
Old 02-26-2002, 09:18 AM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I really don't think that it would so as well. Overall, people don't like the Dwarves as much as the elves or the Hobbits - so they may not take to the characters as well (I personally love it, but I am not in the majority of the American population who goes for stupid things). Who knows, though. It has a dragon, that may please some people.<BR>I'm just speaking in general, cause from what I have seen from most people in this country is that they don't know what's really good!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 10:28 AM   #3
Esgalfangiel, Elf-girl

Sting

I think that a movie of the Hobbit will work quite well, but if so, they've done it in the wrong order- and I think people would expect The Hobbit to be just as good as TLOTR trilogy, which I don't think it is... that's just my opinion though. <BR>EEG
Old 02-26-2002, 10:41 AM   #4
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dűm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Just think of all the people that have been effected by FOTR. Imagine whats its going to be like after ROTK. The Hobbit is a wonderful book, which could make a wonderful movie. Of all the charactors in FOTR, all the girls went for Frodo and Legolas. In the Hobbit, its Bilbo and Thranduil, Lord of the Elves of Mirkwood(Legolas's Father). All you would have to do is put in a cameo of Orlando Bloom in it, has a younger Legolas(in the background, no doubt, since he played no part in the novel, but was still alive), and blood-thirsty teeny-boopers around the world will flock to the theaters like a drunk to a bar(no offense of course).<P>The movie could be a wonderful movie, now that Elves and Hobbits have been brought to the main-stream public. When ROTK comes out, Frodo, Legolas, Gandalf, Mordor and the One Ring will be household names. We will probably come up with new sayings. "Get to bed, or I'll call Sauron on you". "Mommy, does Santa Clause visit the Hobbits in The Shire?".<P>Theres Bilbo and Gandalf(which all will know), a dozen Dwarves(one a "King Under the Mountain", on a quest),Bret&Bill&Tom(trolls), Smaug('nuff said), Mirkwood Elves(Legolas's father), Big Spiders(everybody will know Shelob), Beorn('nuff said), Eagles(Everybody know's Gwaihir, even though he didnt play a big part in FOTR, he and his posse will be back for ROTK), Goblins/Orcs('nuff said), Gollum and the One Ring('nuff said), The Men at Laketown(Men!), and the "Battle of Five Armies".<P>It has all the material to be a great movie, and with all the hype(LOTR), is getting and will continue to get, it is very possible to have a movie with few humans, and Main charactors that are of a different race.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:50 AM   #5
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Thumbs up

Well said, Zifnab. I agree with you.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:43 PM   #6
Airetauriel
Animated Skeleton

Airetauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that the hobbit would make a great film...after the wave of success of the trilogy, it's not a matter of whether or not it would make money - just how much!!! <P>Airetauriel
Airetauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 02:59 PM   #7
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it would make a great movie. Unfortunately, I have read on another site that the Hobbit has been shelved, because of something about who has the rights and who should get the rights, etc. Hopefully it will get all cleared up soon.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:10 PM   #8
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Why not? They did Phantom Menace after the Trilogy didn't they?

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 08:00 PM   #9
Glim Iceholder
Pile O'Bones

Glim Iceholder has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>has a younger Legolas(in the background, no doubt, since he played no part in the novel, but was still alive), <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I highly doubt Legolas would look any different then than how he looks during the time of LOTR.
Glim Iceholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 10:58 PM   #10
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

I personally think that The Hobbit would not make a good live action movie... well actually, now that I think about it, it kind of would, I mean it does have a good plot and all, but I just think that afte people had seen the trilogy out in theaters, they would expect a whole lot from The Hobbit, and that would have to be pretty hard to do, especially if it was directed by someone other than Peter Jackson.<BR>I dunno, I have mixed opinions on this one..
Old 07-05-2002, 01:00 PM   #11
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Silmaril

I would really love the Hobbit to be made into a movie, but like the others, I think that only us Tolkien fans will see the true meaning and appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:45 PM   #12
starbreeze

Silmaril

Well, there are certainly enough of us Tolkien fans out there!
Old 07-06-2002, 08:27 AM   #13
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dűm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would love to see a Hobbit movie.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> At what rate do elves age anyway? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think they grow in like, 100 years and then stay that way.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:17 PM   #14
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would love to see The Hobbit made into a movie! The only problem would be that when you think about it there are no real women parts in it. In LotR they were able to adapt Arwen, Eowyn and Galadriels parts but, I may be wrong, but I cant remember any females in The Hobbit at all!!! Don't hate me (I'm always worried people will hate me when I leave messages!)
Old 09-25-2003, 05:38 PM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is rather exciting if true. It would be nice to see some confirmation, but it seems New Line has successfully aquired the rights to The Hobbit.<P><A HREF="http://www.thegd.com" TARGET=_blank>Link</A><P>H.C.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:51 PM   #16
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

I personally do not want to see the hobbit as a movie, consiering that it was written for children and alot of it is very silly. It also seems in the hobbit that gandalf's "power" is nothing more then gunpowder and the like.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 06:58 PM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

So you don't like the book then, steve? <P>Personally I feel that, if it is to be made into a film, it is essential that it retains its "children's story" feel. And I must say that I would be delighted to see it made as such (and so, I am sure, would my kids).
Old 09-25-2003, 08:00 PM   #18
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

No No, that is not what I ment Mr. Pan Man.<BR>What I ment was that if the Hobbit was made into a movie it would retain it's childish like storyline and action which would inturn cause it to loose money, because of the seriousness of LotR, tehrefor not doing good in the box offices or even do any good at all. I loves the hobbit, iv read it many times, I just think it should stay a book that I can read to my children (when I have some) instead of a book for a movie)
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 08:26 PM   #19
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In it's wierd way, The Hobbit will be challenging to adapt. The story is far more simple and linear then LotR but if you gave it the children's book feel, it would seem strange to those that got used to the films. If you made it with the feel of the films, it loses the flavour of the book.<P>H.C.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:07 PM   #20
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that The Hobbit would make a great film if though I still think they should have filmed it first.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:22 PM   #21
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Does anyone from England remember the BBC TV adaption of 'the Borrowers'? It was on about five or six years ago, but I loved it. It had Ian Holm as Pod. Well, I think 'the Hobbit' would be good as similar type of series. Then it could be much longer and more detailed, and it could be a very family orientated show, because for people who are used to the action packed LotR trilogy, the Hobbit may be a slight anti-climax, because it's more of a childrens story and has less action (except for the battle at the end, although Bilbo passes out for most of that). But I can remember watching 'the Borrowers' with my brothers and parents, and it would be great to be able to do the same thing with 'the Hobbit'. But, of course, a movie would be just as great. I think that 'the Hobbit' would be harder to screw up that LotR and, if done well, it could be a brilliant film. But imagine all those prosthetics! Poor Dwarves.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:46 PM   #22
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I think it would be nice if The hobbit came out as a family movie. This way parents would be able take their kids to see it unlike the LOTR trilogy. Besides I think the Hobbit is a nice book to be made into a movie. It has adventure but is not as dark as LOTR. It is lighter for a change.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:17 PM   #23
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think 'the Hobbit' would be great as a movie! And maybe it's just me but i seem to see a lot of more people reading 'the Hobbit' over LOTR, which makes me think that there would be plenty of people who would want to go see it.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:11 AM   #24
Mooncalf
Pile O'Bones

Mooncalf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Whoa-- did I miss something?! The Hobbit was written for <I>children??</I> I don't think so... I read it when I was fourteen and just barely managed to get through the complicated syntax and all that, there's no way a kid could read it.<P>Sure, the plot would be less dark. The Hobbit is a lot lighter than LOTR and has a happier ending, but that doesn't make it childish.<P>But, yeah, because it's less dark, people who had never read any of the books might be expecting something more like LOTR and would be disappointed... but people who see a movie-from-book without reading the book first (or intending to read the book) are scum anyway. Kidding, of course.... <P>I'd really like to see what the producers of LOTR could do with the Hobbit. I think they'd do a pretty impressive job.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:16 AM   #25
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

According to a belgian newspaper, PJ has oficially agreed to make "The Hobbit" into a movie...<BR>The article in which this news was mentioned was tiny and very vague, and did not contain any more info then that.<BR>I've been searching the web for any oficial news, but as I'm not much of a good searcher I haven't been able to come up with anything concerning this matter.<P>Does anybody have concreet facts about whether or not this info is correct?
Old 12-04-2003, 02:22 PM   #26
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I've read many place that the good PJ will NOT be making a Hobbit movie. I've heard this online many places and also in the official fan club magazine with an exclusive interview with the man himself. A hobbit movie could be good, and you could probably almsot fit it all into three hours without much cramming.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:42 PM   #27
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Also<A HREF="http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page &type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=40294" TARGET=_blank>The Hobbit More and More likely</A>

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:03 PM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I have read a number of articles on ToRN suggesting that New Line is keen to make a film of the Hobbit (surprise, surprise) but that there is some issue with the Tolkien Estate that needs to be resolved. Jackson has reportedly said that he would be interested, but that it would have to wait until he has finished up on his next film, a re-make of <I>King Kong</I>.<P>(Sorry if that's what your link said, Imladris, but it wouldn't open for me.)
Old 12-04-2003, 09:27 PM   #29
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even Better than the hobbit would the silmarillion. I would have to be be seperate movies of course, bet HEY it all good
Old 12-04-2003, 09:38 PM   #30
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've thought about that, too, Tar-Alcarin, and I think it would be great if they could take some of the major tales of The Silmarillion, write them in about as much detail as LOTR, and adapt them to movie form.<P>Like, "The Fall of Gondolin," "The Children of Hurin," "The Lay of Luthien," "The Voyage of Earendil," etc. Only problem is some of those have unhappy endings, so they might not be suitable for movies.<P>I doubt it'll happen, and I'm not completely sure I would want it to, but it would turn out very cool if they did it and did it right.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:40 AM   #31
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's okay, Saucepan Man! Just for your information, it might not be five or six years before he can make the movie. To complicate matters, the Tolkien family doesn't like the movies so...you see what I mean.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 04:39 AM   #32
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for the info anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...<BR>I'm not sure if I want him to make the Hobbit into a movie, maybe it's better to let things the way they are.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #33
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

If Peter Jackson dose make the Hobbit, it should come as no surprise to anyone here when it is Arwen or Legolas who kills Smaug. I can almost see Legolas hook the dragon with a rope and water ski behind the beast across Long Lake, only at the last minute firing off an impossible shot to bring the worm down.<p>[ 6:39 PM December 06, 2003: Message edited by: Pukel-Man ]
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:29 PM   #34
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dűm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I downloaded a preview to The Hobbit from Kazza and it says its coming out in 2006.
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:16 PM   #35
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

If there is a hobbit, do you think Peter Jackson will direct it?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:28 AM   #36
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it would make a great film, though I agree it would have a different feel than LotR (I'm sure they could explain that to people). It does have great potential for action sequences to keep people happy (trolls, storms, goblins, wargs, spiders, dragons and a huge battle at the end), and even though the book is more a children's story (it's still really my favourite), you could make the film enjoyable for all audiences. It has a happy ending, but through most of it the party is in constant danger and there are a lot of great scenes I'd like to see on film. They'd probably have to skip quite a few things, come to think of it, but I'm sure a dragon alone would be a great draw. Cast would be tricky, though, because Ian Holm isn't young enough. I'm sure Sir Ian McKellen would return, though, for his relatively limited part. <P>I alway's thought it would be hard to do because you'd need a bunch of short people, but since they are all short, all you really need is oversized sets and camera angles! The same team would have to do it, but they could make it a bit lighter and cheerier--it could be a great stand-alone film that everyone could enjoy (those who don't want 10 hours of constant doom and drama from LotR).<P>Basically, I just want to see a film with more dwarves. As long as they aren't ridiculously silly... <P>C'mon, how can the not do it at this point!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:47 AM   #37
Eurytus
Wight

Eurytus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think there is a lot of potential with the Hobbit and although it is a children’s book the raw material it contains is good enough that you could choose to go either way with it. They could make it a children’s movie or they could take the bare bones of the tale and make it more adult. In fact when you really look at it, much of the childish tone of the book is there because of the way it is narrated. With lots of asides from the author and the like. Now none of that would feature in a film and with it removed the film would likely come across as not so childish.<BR>One change I would make a bet on though, is that the number of dwarves will be reduced. I can’t see any way in which a studio will retain 13 (often interchangeable) dwarves in the film. I could see it being reduced to a handful. Given that many of the dwarves do not even really speak during the book how would the audience keep track of who’s who. More to the point, will they care?<BR>I believe they would obviously keep Thorin and Balin. Probably Bombur (he is somewhat recognisable), Gloin (the link with Gimli should be enough here) and maybe Fili and Kili for the pathos of their deaths. Beyond that though would they really include another 7(!!) dwarves? I can’t see it.

Lionel Hutz
Eurytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:37 AM   #38
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>In fact when you really look at it, much of the childish tone of the book is there because of the way it is narrated. With lots of asides from the author and the like. Now none of that would feature in a film and with it removed the film would likely come across as not so childish. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Just in support of this claim: I've known people to buy cheap paperback editions of <I>The Hobbit</I> so they could use markers to wipe out the 'childish' parts, out of curiousity to see what remains. And they've reported what you claim, that what remains is a more mature tale.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:06 PM   #39
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Sting

Making a movie of The Hobbit would be something they should have done before the LOTR trilogy came out. At least then I wouldn't have to explain to my parents and my brother and sister about how Bilbo got the ring and everything. <P>After all when your trying to watch a really good movie the least thing you want is to have some one asking you alot of questions. I love answering them, but not during an interesting movie. Why they just don't read the books instead of asking me I don't know. I guess I know more than my parents or my other siblings could get out of the books. <P>Thats just they way it works I guess. Oh well so when and if they are going to come up with making the hobbit into a movie. I wonder who they would get to play the parts of everyone else that wasn't mentioned in the movies.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:05 PM   #40
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

I posted this on <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002485#000010" TARGET=_blank>lindil's thread here</A>, but since I don't know which (if either) of these threads might be deleted, I thought that I'd post it here too. <P><A HREF="http://www.sundayherald.com/38504" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is an article that I found on ToRN that explains more about the problems New Line are having in acquring the rights to the Hobbit from the Tolkien estate. Apparently, while Tolkien sold the film rights to LotR, he retained the rights to the Hobbit. And Christopher Tolkien, who harbours serious reservations about the film versions of LotR, is reluctant to allow them to film the Hobbit. Sadly, the films also appear to have given rise to a rift between Christopher and his son, Simon. The Tolkien family appears to quite split on this issue, with views ranging from Christopher’s reservations to the enthusiasm of Tolkien’s grandson, who plays a Man of Godor in the final instalment.<P>It seems that Jackson is thinking of giving Arwen a role in the film. I would certainly not like to see her make more than a cameo appearance in Rivendell. I did wonder when I thought about how the Hobbit might be filmed whether Rivendell might be left out. After all, the Trolls are the only encounter between Hobbiton and Rivendell, so it would seem to break the tension at rather an inappropriate point in terms of film pacing. It would be interesting to see Hugo Weaving play a non-grumpy Elrond though. <P>Personally, I think it would be fun if Orlando Bloom, suitably aged, was to play Thranduil. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> One change I would make a bet on though, is that the number of dwarves will be reduced. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I can see the point that you are making, Eurytus. It would be a shame though. Perhaps it could work having all of them if they were well differentiated in appearance and those that you mention were given the prominent roles. Mind you, there might be problems in getting actors signed up, given the suffering that John Rhys-Davies went through with the make-up. <P>Even with the Hobbit being a shorter story, cuts would be inevitable. As I said, I thought that Rivendell might go. Beorn might also suffer, although I would hope not, particularly given the role that he plays in the Battle of Five Armies. Which brings me to a particular concern that I have over the Hobbit being brought to the screen. How will the final chapters be handled? The main focus of the film would have to be Smaug, since he is the reason for the Quest. And so his death would seem to be the obvious climax. And yet there is a whole Battle to get through after Smaug dies, and it might seem strange in cinematographic terms to have this all play out after the main focus of the film has been vanquished. I can see some re-writing going on here, and yet it is difficult to see how this would be done, since Smaug has to die before the Battle and the Battle certainly could not be left out (I can’t see Jackson leaving it out, given his penchant for battle scenes ). Anyone have any ideas on how this might be done?