Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #601
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, I'm fine with the scene change. It's the southern slope that they are coming down, now, and it can be a much milder climate. Think of it this way: once they pass a certain point, they are surprised to find a very sudden point at which the snow begins, say at the final ridge upward, and the southern slope is, if not spring like, at least not covered in snow. And they enter the "spillway" of the Gilraen, with its many cascading streams and waterfalls. Sound inspirational?

Helen, we have tried to artistically draw together the Ravion and Erebemlin parties. You may now consider the one to have found the other.

I think an interesting post would be an exchange of information between the two parties, in particular the news from Erebemlin, Bergil, or Mellondu, that Aeron is dead and Raefindan has turned murderer and traitor, which of course Ędegard, Ravion, Mellonin and the others will find it hard to accept ... and Jorje won't believe it for a moment, I might add.

Once they argue all of this out, they can push through to where the three holed up, discover it, and realized they're not at all far behind.

And of course sprinkle all of this with dreams of Nimrodel and Mithrellas and now Angela, with Aeron and Gwyllion ghosting the vale.

So...

next post: discussion and argument and disagreement amongst the now unified chasing party. Helen, can you attempt to write this? Or shall we do a three-way PM post which Helen can then post to the rpg thread?

next post #2: The three descend into a stream filled, waterfally, almost springlike mountain slope into the Gilraen valley - either Fea or Elempi (or both) can write this.

next post #3: The chasers can finally catch sight of the chased, (not too) far below them on the mountain slope, and give fresh chase.

next post #4: They come all at a sudden to the vale, which is still a good ways up the mountain slope, but in a relatively verdant climate.

After this the climax may ensue. Sound like a plan?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #602
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Helen, I just had another thought. Mellondu has to wonder why Raefindan tried to kill him. Wouldn't this have been enough to stir up Amroth?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #603
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
For the next step I think three-way PM post will be best, although it will take some time -- can you cc me at work with just plain text?-- but I think you two will help me get the big flick back.

THis is something that's been hanging over my head, a bit. I do want to finish it. It is refreshing to think that we are so close to an end. Thank you both for continuing on this even when I was wrapped up in RL, and being happy to help me out here in my glassy-eyed state.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #604
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

cc you in plain text? You're talking to a computer user, not a geek. I know as much about computers as a driver about cars. Do you mean to PM you in plain text? I take it there's an option for that? Or do you want us to email you?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #605
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Email will work. Sorry bout that. PMs will also work as long as you're willing to be verry verry patient, preciousss, because there's about a day's delay in when I get my notification.... Fea, if you email lmp, and he emails me, then I'll get you my addresses.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #606
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
LMP, can you PM me the best e-mail address to use for you? I'll let you know via PM what e-mail address I'll use.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #607
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've PMd you both. This is actually kind of exciting. We're about to embark on truly collaborative writing.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #608
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
While I'm perfectly content to sit on the sidelines for as long as possible... for all the usual reasons of lethargy and lack of direction... I feel morally obliged to point out that I guess I'm still around, and can probably write posts in the near future--if I get some direction where I should be going. It's the perennial problem for me: I own the character, no problem there, but Bergil and I are just sort of along for the ride. We're not in the driver's seat.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #609
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
We're not in the driver's seat.
I'd say at the moment Elempi's in the driver's seat, whether or not he wants it. The way I visualize it is that once in a while he leans back and says "Hey Fea, I'll take care of the gas and brakes [and maybe clutch], if you'll take the wheel for a bit." And, like with acquaintances who suggest I take the wheel from the passenger's seat, I absently reach over and navigate. And while it feels awkward and dangerous at times, especially around corners, it can be downright thrilling once you reach your destination and realize that not only have you not crashed and burned, but your trip was more interesting for the switch.

Wow. What a conceit that was.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #610
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Wow. What a conceit that was.
Indeed.

Formy, I requested response from you at least twice in the last little while with no response, and now out of nowhere you make yourself known..... with the usual reservations. Can you commit to this for the rest of its short life, or not?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #611
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Indeed.

Formy, I requested response from you at least twice in the last little while with no response, and now out of nowhere you make yourself known..... with the usual reservations. Can you commit to this for the rest of its short life, or not?
You did? *shakes head at self* I guess I never saw that... which is strange, but not entirely unexpected given the past month.

I would like to stay committed. If you say "rest of its short life", then that makes it rather possible sounding.

I guess it comes down to a question of what's expected. With regards to this RPG I consistently feel a bit confused as to how much you're anticipating in the way of posts. Unlike Fea, I've never really acclimatized myself to an RPG where, although I've read it, I have no history with its previous formation. Nor is my character so placed as to be a driving force in the plot. Bergil is basically just another "secondary human character" in a group full of them--which is fine with me.

I don't feel comfortable in this RPG with taking responsibility for the direction of the plot, and although seminary life is certainly busy, that is the chief factor in my infrequent posting. I could make many and varied--and true--excuses for my repeated set-backs in terms of frequent commitment (including months of no internet, broken legs, exams... etc... etc...), but that's the essence of it.

It's really up to you. In terms of frequency of posting, I can give as much as I ever have, but that's not an awful lot, I suppose, even looking at the best weeks. In this situation I seem to be a high maintenance writer, and I can't blame you for being frustrated with having to constantly prod me. If you want to cut me, then that's probably for the best, and I would have absolutely no hard feelings about that. On the flip side, if you think that I'm worth having around, in whatever shoddy form, then I do still want to contribute what little I'm capable of. I joined this RPG in good faith and although life has conspired with my laziness to foil my good intentions, I still have those good intentions.

So... I hate to put the onus on you, since that's all too often the story here, but... well... that's sort of where the onus is. I don't know what your exact expectations are for commitment, but it should be altogether too apparent how much commitment I'm able to offer: as soon as something new crops up here I tend to read it within a couple days, and if prompted can usually respond immediately or soon after (the past month being a bit of an anomaly that I don't anticipate returning, but cannot promise). Most important to consider: I'm not going to take initiative here.

As I said, if you'd rather I drop out, then I am completely fine with that (and would probably find it something of a relief), but there's also no hard feelings about keeping me around. "Not my will, but yours be done." *cough*
Old 01-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #612
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

For me, stories are about the integrity of the characters more than about the plot. I.e. the plot should fulfill who the characters are, in a sense, complete their destiny.

So-- Formy, a question. Is Bergil-- as a man-- merely passingly interested in Indil's future, and ready to turn her safety over to someone else-- or is he passionately devoted to Indil ? I don't mean passionately as Raefindan would be, but as a protector, a helper and rescuer?

To put it another way, would he really really like to kill Tharonwe for what Tharonwe has put Indil through?

I know, turn the other cheek. However (a) that revelation has not entered Middle-Earth quite yet and (b) as a christian I don't believe that's intended when there are completely innocent lives involved, i.e. protecting the innocent is a call on any honest man's life. Indil is utterly innocent. Tharonwe is not. How does Bergil feel about him?

And:

I'm having a hard time writing both sides of the Ravion/ Mellonin love story. I'm used to having someone else write Ravion. To me he is central to Mellonin's plot. Does he interest you?

Last edited by mark12_30; 01-20-2008 at 06:20 AM. Reason: pronounsss, preciousssss
Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 AM   #613
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Formy, when you have written, there has been depth worth reading. If the last month as been an anomaly and you promise to post when asked to, that's good enough for me. I think that Helen makes a good point as to Bergil's motivations, especially now that Raefindan has (in appearance) turned traitor.

As to Ravion, my opinion is that the right person to write him is Orual. Given that she is not available to us anymore, Helen knows him best. Were Formy or Fea or I to write him, he would undergo some kind of strange personality alteration, I fear, and that would not be good for the relationship. Unless Formy believes that he can give it a good go, I would suggest that Helen continue to write him, and be willing to accept suggestions from Fea and me (and Formy if he cares to) as to any apparent changes needed as we proceed.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #614
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I would suggest that Helen continue to write him, and be willing to accept suggestions from Fea and me (and Formy if he cares to) as to any apparent changes needed as we proceed.
This seems best to me. I'd offer to take him, but he's not the sort of character I work best with (ie: he's just so darned normal) and like Elempi said, I'm pretty sure under my direction he'd have manic personality changes regardless of good intentions, and things would get messed up utterly.

And I'd like Formy to continue writing with us because to my mind, Bergil has unfinished business. Like Helen said: Indil. She's his charge, and she's (to the eyes of the group) currently a hostage of an evil jerk and a murderer who's working for the evil jerk. Loose ends tend to need tying.

And as Elempi pointed out: it's not a long commitment, if we can work quickly. We're so near to the end, that now it's just finishing.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #615
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
So-- Formy, a question. Is Bergil-- as a man-- merely passingly interested in Indil's future, and ready to turn her safety over to someone else-- or is he passionately devoted to Indil ? I don't mean passionately as Raefindan would be, but as a protector, a helper and rescuer?

To put it another way, would he really really like to kill Tharonwe for what Tharonwe has put Indil through?

I know, turn the other cheek. However (a) that revelation has not entered Middle-Earth quite yet and (b) as a christian I don't believe that's intended when there are completely innocent lives involved, i.e. protecting the innocent is a call on any honest man's life. Indil is utterly innocent. Tharonwe is not. How does Bergil feel about him?
I certainly do see Bergil as a "turn the other cheek" sort. Take a look at his readiness to tussle with Pippin, and look at the family background--Beregond can take a lot on faith, but he'll strike a mortal blow for Faramir.

So, as to his relationship with Indil, Bergil sees himself as responsible for her. He is, in his mind, basically her legal guardian: he found her and took her with him and until and unless her family turns up, he's going to act as such. Being young and a warrior by trade and nature, I imagine he'd gladly strike a violent blow right at Tharonwė. I'm not sure it would be an irrational rage driving him so much as a righteous anger and a very clear sense of justice--which, of course, has been horribly violated.

(As a side-note, it's interesting to consider where this attitude of Bergil's would leave him at the end of the tale, with Indil's family presumably dead. Bergil doesn't exactly have the lifestyle conducive to raising a young girl But that's not really relevant to the moment.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Formy, when you have written, there has been depth worth reading. If the last month as been an anomaly and you promise to post when asked to, that's good enough for me. I think that Helen makes a good point as to Bergil's motivations, especially now that Raefindan has (in appearance) turned traitor.
Then I'll stick around. As far as I know, last month was an internetless anomaly.

On the subject of Raefindan & Bergil, it will certainly be interesting to see what transpires when they meet again.

As regards Ravion--I certainly don't feel I know his character well enough to write him. I know his exterior habits somewhat, but I don't know what makes him tick on the inside.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #616
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

OK, I'll keep Ravion. But I really do miss Orual.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #617
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
... it's interesting to consider where this attitude of Bergil's would leave him at the end of the tale, with Indil's family presumably dead. Bergil doesn't exactly have the lifestyle conducive to raising a young girl But that's not really relevant to the moment.
Maybe not Bergil, but perhaps Ravion and Mellonin will have such a lifestyle.

Quote:
Then I'll stick around. As far as I know, last month was an internetless anomaly.
Good.

Yes, Helen, I miss Orual too.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #618
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Formendacil, we would be most pleased if you could post a reply to the question in Helen's most recent post.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #619
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Ravion to Bergil, over!

Formy, you're on. If you can't post quickly, how about a save with a summary and a final sentence? We'll keep plugging.

EDIT: Wow, cross posted with lmp. Hi lmp! *waves*
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #620
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Well, I certainly did not expect to fill my save so quickly... but there was a lucky break getting out of Compline early, and I thought it best to post while I still had surety of time to do so. It's a short post: little more than recapitulation and some vocalisation of motivation by Bergil, but it moves the plot along, and Bergil hasn't had much in the way of action to prompt great changes of mental activity since his last post.

All the usual caveats about changes, suggestions, et cetera, apply.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #621
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks, Formy.

Hi back, Helen. (Elempi waves) I was in a hurry and had just enough time to post that up, and was gone again.

I guess that means that Helen, Fea and I will continue via email for now.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #622
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Helen, could you please email or PM me that email containing some of Ędegard and Leafa's conversation? You seem to have been inspired as needed to get back into your own posts, so I need my stuff back.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #623
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Er, sure, but I'm not really. Exactly. I'm not sure how to weave the two, er, threads together. Anyway the email is on its way but I'm not out of the woods yet???

Trust me, I still need the email process even if I launch off in another direction at the same time. Sort of. Don't drop me now, lmp. I wasn't dropping you. Just trying to file two different things in two different places.

And if you have any ideas as to how best to weave the threads PLEASE tell me. (Ack.)
Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #624
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

And FOrmy, that was great-- thanks. Nice take on Ravion.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #625
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Helen, can you post the formulating post to the discussion thread? That would help me out, and then we can continue to work via email also. See, I'm at a Worship Symposium and not at work today through Saturday, so I have greater frequency of checking but less sustained time.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #626
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

sha-zayem

While the others saw to the needs of Mellonin, or whomever she now was, Ędegard went over to Leafa. Jorje joined them, pushing his head under the Ędegard's good hand, who scratched the dog's ears absently.

"I can't imagine it, Leafa," he said. "Raefindan? It makes no sense. He wouldn't kill Aeron. There must be some mistake."

"Might Aeron have provoked him?" she asked, shaking her head to counter her own suggestion.

Ędegard smiled in spite of himself. "Not since his sister's death. He was mischievous, I am told, before that, but was greatly subdued afterward. Her death changed him. It is almost as if he perhaps welcomed it." But that did not sit well either. "Nay, I cannot believe that our friends lie. But if Raefindan did this deed, he cannot have been in his right mind."

Liornung stood nearby. "Did you hear your last words, Ędegard? Perhaps he was not in his right mind. Did not Tharonwė work such mischief before?"

"Yes, but then how is it that these three think nothing of that?"

"I do not know," Liornung replied

"Maybe," Leafa tentatively offered, "we should ask them?"
Old 01-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #627
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

...and if they DO ask, then what shall my boys say...? fuzz-brains? Or anger or...?

Too bad we have no miruvor, to get Mellonin up and going. How about... er... anybody got some expresso?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #628
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well, I've had Ędegard choose to avoid the issue, and Leafa is not one to take initiative, from my experience. Liornung? Maybe he would, but in a songish or wimsified way? So the question may never get asked.

If it does, however, I would expect them to simply deny it, because it does not square with what their convinced of.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #629
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

So what are we gonna do about this?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #630
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
So what are we gonna do about this?
About the specific question Helen asked? No idea. Bergil's job is to answer them is they ask, not to decide to ask or not. If pressed, though, he'll probably--as you predict--deny the charge that Tharonwë is messing with his mind, but admit the possibility.

If you're asking about general plot movement... don't look at me.

(Basically, I'm only posting to indicate that I am, in fact, checking in daily to see if there's anything I should be doing... )
Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #631
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I just wanted to briefly shove my head through the door (brick wall I've been banging it against?) and let you guys know that while I didn't die, I've got to duck out entirely (as in not even looking) for the next two to three weeks (midterms exams and reviews which are substantially more critical than usual).

And can somebody please assign the USPS to Mordor? Because the express package I was promised would be delivered last Wednesday didn't get here until Thursday but I didn't find out about it until Saturday, after which I had to wait until today to go get it, but when I got there... they had lost it. And I really need it.

My life!

So that's where I am. Big tests and big stress.

So good luck! I love you all. Please wish me happy thoughts? I'll be back as soon as I'm able.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:55 AM   #632
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Duly noted, commiserated, wished for, and prayed for. See you all in about three weeks, I suppose...
Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #633
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm going to be leaving the Barrowdowns soon. Nothing wrong, it's just time. But before I do so, I'm going to wrap up my commitments here, which consist of 4 rpgs, including this one. Although this one appears to be closest to its ending, I have a hunch that it may be the last one that concludes. Anyway, just letting you know. When I depart I'll be leaving my email address and xanga link behind; I think most of you know them already anyway, but there it is.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #634
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

1420!

Believe me, I so understand. My "spring" is waving a mace at me, like the one the Witch-King waved at Eowyn.....

Nevertheless: I'm honored that you want to finish up.

So:

What's next?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #635
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Fea will be back next week. I can post for Roy once, to get the threesome moving ahead of the pursuers. Once Fea's back we can continue the Indil/Roy/Tharonwe part. In the meantime, we can write the 2 parties slogging through the snow by the treacherous chasm and through the pass, and they can check out the little cave where the 3 stayed, and then start down the mountain and discover that they leave the snow behind almost immediately. And then Erebemlin (and perhaps others) can spot the three ahead in the distance; and the chase ensues in earnest.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #636
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I had forgotten that Roy had resolved to hold Tharonwe in the cave until the others arrived. That "holding" is now accomplished, and the next post or series of posts brings the pursuers to the cave where they will find the three, and then a most interesting discussion will ensue. After that, we could narrate a quick journey to the Vale, write the climax, and denouement. I think we could have this done by the end of March.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #637
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I'm going to be leaving the Barrowdowns soon. Nothing wrong, it's just time. But before I do so, I'm going to wrap up my commitments here, which consist of 4 rpgs, including this one.
Essentially, and to be concise: ditto.

Like you said, Elempi, it's just time. Maybe it's been time for a while.

This is my last commitment. I want to finish before I disappear. April 10th is my tentative 'last day.' Do you think we can finish before then? It's been a long ride, and I was only even on board for the last part of it...

If we can't finish by then, it'll need to be finished without me.

Until then, I'm going to check out the story thread and see what I can do.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #638
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

From the cave to the vale should not take much, and the vale itself may not take much, depending. If you need to exit before the story is done, Fea, I suppose I can probably use your posts as a guide as to how to handle Indil. Then again, I have this thing in my head that when Indil arrives, Angela's "ghost" is going to enter into her little body, and then who knows what may happen? My bet is unity and completion, and some incredible words from one so young.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #639
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
If you need to exit before the story is done, Fea, I suppose I can probably use your posts as a guide as to how to handle Indil.
I hope we're done before I go. I'd love to guarantee that I could be around until we finish officially artistically completely wonderfully and everything, except I'm moving to Brooklyn in a month and won't have internet access, so when I have to go, it'll really be gone.

Quote:
Then again, I have this thing in my head that when Indil arrives, Angela's "ghost" is going to enter into her little body, and then who knows what may happen? My bet is unity and completion, and some incredible words from one so young.
Okay. You should give me a heads up of what sort of incredible words you have in mind. Or we can co-post like we've done and fiddle with it that way. Or whatever works. I'm open to creative ways of functioning.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:00 AM   #640
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Put it this way: she'll be "channeling" Angela. No, that's not quite right. She'll BE both Angela and Indil at once, but not the fighting way or the 'now I'm him, and later I'll be him" way we're seeing it with Mellondu and Amroth. I picture it like how Roy is both Raefindan and the Gondorian husband of Mithrellas (I can't remember his name right now). Oh yeah, Imrazor, I think. Anyway, he knows his own "future" past and has memories which Mithrellas awakens, or he dreams, of his past as Imrazor. So Indil will have Angela's memories, complete with Angela's wisdom about those memories.... if she didn't, Indil wouldn't be able to cope.