The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #81
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Well, I'm a rather morbid person who adores Halloween so what one person would find scary (barrow wights) I wouldn't mind at all.

What I DO find scary though, is the following:

1. Naked Hobbits...do with it what you will, it needs no explanation.

2. Nazgul. While I said that this sort of stuff DIDN'T creep me out... these, however, scare the ever living daylights out of me.

3. The Old Forest. Trees should NOT move (other than swaying with the wind or other tree...things) nor should they be able to attack you. That is NOT a conversation I would like to have with someone in the afterlife...

"So, what'd you do to get here?"

"I'd rather not discuss it."

"Awe, c'mon can't be that bad..."

"Oh, really? Have you ever been attacked by a killer, angry tree?"

"..."

"That's what I thought."

4. Ungoliant. Because, well, I just hate spiders period. I won't even go in the bathroom by myself if there's a spider in there. I have to take a whole Army in there to defend me.

5. Aragorn on a bad day. I mean, really. Wouldn't you be the slightest bit afraid of an extremely ticked off, king-to-be wielding a sword (mind you that he KNOWS how to use) saying, "Go ahead punk, make my day."

6. And thus, leading to Galadriel all hell bent on becoming queen of the sandbox. Don't get me wrong, I love her character and she's one of my favorites, but Psychotic!Galadriel scares the ever living out of me.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #82
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMellrynxMaidenx View Post
Well, I'm a rather morbid person who adores Halloween so what one person would find scary (barrow wights) I wouldn't mind at all.

What I DO find scary though, is the following:

1. Naked Hobbits...do with it what you will, it needs no explanation.

3. The Old Forest. Trees should NOT move (other than swaying with the wind or other tree...things) nor should they be able to attack you. That is NOT a conversation I would like to have with someone in the afterlife...

6. And thus, leading to Galadriel all hell bent on becoming queen of the sandbox. Don't get me wrong, I love her character and she's one of my favorites, but Psychotic!Galadriel scares the ever living out of me.
1. I think someone mentioned that before, so you're not alone

3. Oh God, that creeped me out so badly on my first read!

6. I scare the living daylight out of you? But really, I like Artanis. The sole living member of the house of Finwë (If you don't count Gildor, which I don't think anyone does), and the most powerful woman in Middle-earth. I like it
Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #83
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
1. I think someone mentioned that before, so you're not alone

3. Oh God, that creeped me out so badly on my first read!

6. I scare the living daylight out of you? But really, I like Artanis. The sole living member of the house of Finwë (If you don't count Gildor, which I don't think anyone does), and the most powerful woman in Middle-earth. I like it
I know! I live in an area with trees surrounding me, so the first time I read it I was like.. "there's no way in heck I'm going out there to be attacked by a tree.." My parents thought I had gone off my rocker.

Haha, she's still a favorite character though, don't get me wrong, she just has a tendency to scare the ever living out of me!

Well, correct me if I'm wrong since It's been a WHILE since I've picked up a book, but I suppose they don't count Gildor because he's from the house of Finrod and that's what they associate him with, even though Finrod is a descendant of Finwë, I would say it has more to do with distance in the bloodline I.E. like distant cousins and what not...if that makes sense. And...and *sniffs* I really like Gildor too. I suppose I've always been different though, even if he is distant in the bloodline of Finwë, he still is a descendant and would belong to that house, wouldn't he?
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #84
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I know! I live in an area with trees surrounding me, so the first time I read it I was like.. "there's no way in heck I'm going out there to be attacked by a tree.." My parents thought I had gone off my rocker.

Haha, she's still a favorite character though, don't get me wrong, she just has a tendency to scare the ever living out of me!

Well, correct me if I'm wrong since It's been a WHILE since I've picked up a book, but I suppose they don't count Gildor because he's from the house of Finrod and that's what they associate him with, even though Finrod is a descendant of Finwë, I would say it has more to do with distance in the bloodline I.E. like distant cousins and what not...if that makes sense. And...and *sniffs* I really like Gildor too. I suppose I've always been different though, even if he is distant in the bloodline of Finwë, he still is a descendant and would belong to that house, wouldn't he?
You are so lucky. I was raised in a cramped and dirty (not to mention unsafe) city, and I positively would give anything to be out there in a countryside or in the hills. I can't wait to get out of here (one...year...till I go to college!).

Oh relax, I was joking.

Yeah, I agree. And I love Gildor too. I actually thought he would end up being a main character (I mistook him for Legolas lol. Probably because the Bakshi film confused me). Sad he turned out to be like Bombadil. Terribly lovable, hugely entertaining, but no solid role
Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #85
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Leaf

Quote:
You are so lucky. I was raised in a cramped and dirty (not to mention unsafe) city, and I positively would give anything to be out there in a countryside or in the hills. I can't wait to get out of here (one...year...till I go to college!).

Oh relax, I was joking.

Yeah, I agree. And I love Gildor too. I actually thought he would end up being a main character (I mistook him for Legolas lol. Probably because the Bakshi film confused me). Sad he turned out to be like Bombadil. Terribly lovable, hugely entertaining, but no solid role
I couldn't handle it in the city, at all. I sympathize with you, my friend I really do. I don't even really like visiting cities all that much.

Hehe.

I thought he would too, actually (being a main character). Oddly enough I've not watched the Bakshi film . Yes, 'tis very sad indeed *sniffs*. Though I always thought Tom to be a little...out there, haha, but he was loveable none the less!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #86
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I couldn't handle it in the city, at all. I sympathize with you, my friend I really do. I don't even really like visiting cities all that much.

Hehe.

I thought he would too, actually (being a main character). Oddly enough I've not watched the Bakshi film. Yes, 'tis very sad indeed *sniffs*. Though I always thought Tom to be a little...out there, haha, but he was loveable none the less!
*cries* I wish I was you. My friend loves the city though. She's in love with New York *throws up* I can't handle it. The pollution, the noise, the bloody rude people (excuse my language). I prefer the English countryside. Even London is okay, at least it's historical and interesting. I don't live there though. Such is life.

I used to find Tom a bit irritating at first, till I read The Silmarillion and understood everything a little better. Then I was like 'Oh my God he could be an Ainur"

You need to watch it, seriously. I used to get scared out of my pants when I was eight Now it seems a little ridiculous, not to mention inaccurate, but you could watch it for laughs
Old 10-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #87
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Leaf

Quote:
*cries* I wish I was you. My friend loves the city though. She's in love with New York *throws up* I can't handle it. The pollution, the noise, the bloody rude people (excuse my language). I prefer the English countryside. Even London is okay, at least it's historical and interesting. I don't live there though. Such is life.

I used to find Tom a bit irritating at first, till I read The Silmarillion and understood everything a little better. Then I was like 'Oh my God he could be an Ainur"

You need to watch it, seriously. I used to get scared out of my pants when I was eight Now it seems a little ridiculous, not to mention inaccurate, but you could watch it for laughs
I've always wanted to go to the English countryside and live *sigh*. I wouldn't be able to handle New York AT ALL. Not to mention getting lost nearly all the time, I would miss the clean country air far too much.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that about Tom, what with him being an Ainur, that is! I found him to be a bit...out there and annoying at first as well, so not alone there either. But all in all he's still a loveable character.

I use to be afraid of Pocahontas no joke, the sounds of the drums and whenever I thought they were actually going to kill John I would run in my room and hide. But I shall go off in search of the movie and watch it this weekend.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #88
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I use to be afraid of Pocahontas no joke, the sounds of the drums and whenever I thought they were actually going to kill John I would run in my room and hide. But I shall go off in search of the movie and watch it this weekend.
LOL you sound like me when I used to watch the Hunchback of Notre Dame
Old 10-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #89
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Quote:
Are you serious!I am and was in love with the bells!

As for the initial point,the only thing that ever scarred the hell out of me was the part of Queen Beruthiel in UT.OK,it doesn't seem the scariest but try it on a stormy night,the sea roaming outside of your window and a bat coming to pay you her daily visit

As for my beloved Ulairi,I am perhaps the only person in the world that fot over her fear of darkness and the black-hooded figures with their help-well,maybe the image of Strider in Bree helped a little bit in the second,though-
Old 10-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #90
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

Leaf

Quote:
Oddly enough I was never scared of that one! I adored the bells, like Erendis. The little goat was adorable too!

I could see, Erendis, where you would think the Queen to be scary. Though that sort of thing is right up my alley, so to each his own, heh.

Bwahaha! Yes, the image of Strider in Bree does help with that, doesn't it? Heh, was never really afraid of the dark...just afraid of the things that lurk in it! *coughNazgulcough*
Old 10-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #91
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

[QUOTE=xMellrynxMaidenx;641538Bwahaha! Yes, the image of Strider in Bree does help with that, doesn't it? Heh, was never really afraid of the dark...just afraid of the things that lurk in it! *coughNazgulcough* [/QUOTE]

Lol as I say, I'm not afraid of heights, I'm only afraid of hitting the ground!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #92
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"You will not find anyone more dangerous than me" (Gandalf)
...Except maybe Turin Turambar when he's mad at you...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #93
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
No. Except for Mandos when he's annoyed at you O.O Though Túrin comes pretty close
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #94
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Or worse, when Turin has taken a liking to you...
Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #95
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
hehehe, that's a good one, Alatar!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #96
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Or worse, when Turin has taken a liking to you...
Pretty insightful
Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #97
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Eh. Dangerous or unspeakably horrific stuff doesn't scare me nearly so much - at least with those I can see them, fight them and go down in history as "that idiot who charged at Morgoth with nothing but a stick and an angry look."

No, what really scares me are stealthy things, the ones you don't have any warning of. Especially when you know they're after you, somewhere . . . Most of my worst nightmares involve that feeling of having nowhere to hide. Given that, my list would be thus:

5. Ungoliant/Shelob/the giant spiders of Mirkwood. They fall under the category of "big, obvious menaces" for sure, but this particular geek DOES. NOT. LIKE. SPIDERS.
4. The Dead Men called by Aragorn. I only remembered them after reading about people's fears of the Barrow-Wight (which for some reason fails to scare me at all).
3. Nameless Things. Like the Nazgul, except they take what's scary to me (undefined, unknown, stealthy, relentless things) and become it to the point where it's not quite so scary anymore. They still creep me out veeeery badly though.
2. Thuringwethil. As with the Dead Men, I had forgotten about her until reading some other posts on this thread . . . Then I thought about her and ended up thinking "Oh my God that's scary!"
1. Nazgul. Just enough of everything that scares me, without overdoing it like the Nameless Things.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #98
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Lalaith.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #99
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
5. Ungoliant/Shelob/the giant spiders of Mirkwood. They fall under the category of "big, obvious menaces" for sure, but this particular geek DOES. NOT. LIKE. SPIDERS.
4. The Dead Men called by Aragorn. I only remembered them after reading about people's fears of the Barrow-Wight (which for some reason fails to scare me at all).
3. Nameless Things. Like the Nazgul, except they take what's scary to me (undefined, unknown, stealthy, relentless things) and become it to the point where it's not quite so scary anymore. They still creep me out veeeery badly though.
2. Thuringwethil. As with the Dead Men, I had forgotten about her until reading some other posts on this thread . . . Then I thought about her and ended up thinking "Oh my God that's scary!"
1. Nazgul. Just enough of everything that scares me, without overdoing it like the Nameless Things.
Bom, welcome to the Downs!

If I were to analyze your post a bit, I would conclude that you fear the unknown more than the known. Or that your imagination (fex. what *might* be out there) really runs wild, given little data. You would fear less the dungeons of Sauron than the shadows just outside some ruin's door mayhap.

And fear of spiders may be instinctive, right from the DNA.

Anyway, was watching the 80's TV miniseries "V" last week, and, if you don't know, the aliens are reptiles in human costumes. This fact, I guess, was to creep you out, because everyone who sees a Visitor unmasked runs screaming. Julie, the human rebel leader, was psychologically tortured by being made to believe she was being chased by an iguana.

My point (there might be one ) is that either the culture has changed, as this iguana looks darn right silly (and after a few episodes of "Man vs Wild," I might be chasing it with a bottle of ketchup), or I have changed, meaning that what you (or society) might think scary today may be silly tomorrow.

Even those things you cannot name.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #100
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
everyone who sees a Visitor unmasked runs screaming.
Now what does this remind me of?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #101
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Boots

Naked hobbits?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #102
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

No, this!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #103
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Are Gandalf Uncloaked references a dying breed these days?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #104
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Are Gandalf Uncloaked references a dying breed these days?
Did they get out of fashion? Or did we just get too tired of them?
Balrog wing references too...

New scariest thing ever (aside from Gandalf uncloaking): a Balrog with only one wing!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #105
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

I didn't even think of Gandalf uncloaking . . . would somebody pass the Brain Bleach?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #106
Azrakhor Akallabeth
Animated Skeleton

Azrakhor Akallabeth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azrakhor Akallabeth
Eeeewum!

Mandos, because he takes his job too seriously, never smiles, and cannot take a joke.
Azrakhor Akallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #107
Azrakhor Akallabeth
Animated Skeleton

Azrakhor Akallabeth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azrakhor Akallabeth
Yes and no...

On second thought- Naked Hobbits running through the downs.
Azrakhor Akallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #108
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrakhor Akallabeth View Post
On second thought- Naked Hobbits running through the downs.
That's been done quite a few times
Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #109
oddkins
Pile O'Bones

oddkins has just left Hobbiton.
Scariest?

Along with the arachnids, watcher in the water, and the terrifying barrow wights that freaked me out when I first read it, I have to agree with spirit of fire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit_of_fire View Post
What about Gollum, from the woodsmens point of view in the lord of the rings, I think when Gandalf was discussing him to frodo or at the council he said something like: "the woodsmen were terrorfied of some new and unknown horror that crept through windows and stole babies from their cribs in the night".

Or the eyes that kept watching bilbo and the dwarves in the pitch black of mirkwood, they would glow in the dark eerily, stare for minutes at a time, and then blink out, only to appear somewhere closer.

The winner of course has to be melkor though, he is the only reason arda has fear, and few of even the most valiant inhabitants of arda could meet his gaze without trembling.
All that padding behind them in Moria and the snuffling in Mirkwood when the hobbits were sleeping on the flets, and Frodo saw his pale eyes peering up at him -all before they knew what it was.... ooh, gives me the creeps!

One thing about Melkor, though....he might be the reason Arda has fear, but he was also the only Vala to know fear himself...
Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #110
spirit_of_fire
Pile O'Bones

spirit_of_fire has just left Hobbiton.
I had to laugh at all those 'gandalf uncloaked' references, though I must say when I was reading the books I had a very different interpretation of that phrase(one that doesn't involve nakedness in any way, shape or form). If you think about it though, there are dozens of phrasings that can be misconstrued like that, for example: Gandalf cautioning Aragorn not to 'reveal himself' to Sauron after they recovered the palantir.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the silent watchers at Minas Morgul should be ranked pretty highly in this thread. They were scary I thought, because their power over you wasn't made clear. They threatened you on a spiritual/mental level, from which you cannot defend yourself with a sword or shield. It was an intangible and unknowable horror that preyed on the mind.

Orcs would also have been quite frightening if they weren't so common, if you only take into account how they were created.
They were ordinary elves, taken in the darkness, then twisted and tortured by the dark lord, warped and mutated until they were no longer recognizable as the firstborn that they once were, and in being so, they were instilled with an insatiable hate and hostility towards all life.
spirit_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #111
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The fate of Hurin scares me more than anything else in Tolkien:
Quote:
hen Morgoth cursed Húrin and Morwen and their offspring, and set a doom upon them of darkness and sorrow; and taking Húrin from prison he set him in a chair of stone upon a high place of Thangorodrim. There he was bound by the power of Morgoth, and Morgoth standing beside him cursed him again; and he said: 'Sit now there; and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come upon those whom thou lovest. Thous hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, Master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shalt thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.
And even so it came to pass; but it is not said that Húrin asked ever of Morgoth either mercy or death, for himself or for any of his kin
Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #112
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
The fate of Hurin scares me more than anything else in Tolkien:
I don't find it scary, but rather doom-tragedy-dread-etc sort of thing... That passage that you uote brings an "evil awe" feeling to me.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #113
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I don't find it scary, but rather doom-tragedy-dread-etc sort of thing... That passage that you uote brings an "evil awe" feeling to me.
I find the idea of being captured by Morgoth terribly scary -_- Really, Eru help you...
Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #114
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
The scary part is what he's forced to watch his children go through. And he cannot do a single thing to help them, just sit there in chains and listen to Morgoth's laughter.

That's the scary part.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #115
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
The scary part is what he's forced to watch his children go through. And he cannot do a single thing to help them, just sit there in chains and listen to Morgoth's laughter.

That's the scary part.
Agreed.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #116
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post

That's the scary part.
True. But I feel awful for those poor parents in Utumno who are forced to watch their children become Orcs – if, of course, the Orcs-were-Elves theory is correct.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #117
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
True. But I feel awful for those poor parents in Utumno who are forced to watch their children become Orcs – if, of course, the Orcs-were-Elves theory is correct.
Agreed, but what about those watching their children (becoming orcs) who have justified it in some way?

"Our children are getting 'stronger,' 'aligning themselves with the true Lord of Arda,' etc."

Meaning, what about the parents who are sacrificing their children?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #118
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I don't remember if this has been mentioned before, but -

The Oath of Feanor.
The Doom of Noldor.

Both are pretty scary if you ask me.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #119
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Meaning, what about the parents who are sacrificing their children?
I'd pity them, but truth be told I'd find it hard to feel bad for them.