Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2002, 02:50 PM   #161
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

As the afternoon wore on, Carathon fell further and further behind the horses, sometimes being out of sight for minutes at a time. At last, with an irritated sigh, Thorondruin signalled a halt.

"Let's make camp here. Himelilek, will you go and find that boy? He's disappeared. Oz, help me gather firewood. I wonder if Carathon can cook?" This last was an aside to himself as he considered ways the boy might be useful.
Ozracles was offended. "Firewood?? You want me to gather-" He broke off at the look on Thorondruin's face "All right, all right," He muttered.
They two gathered sticks and piled them while they waited for Himelilek to return. Eventually she did, but without Carathon. She shrugged at Thorondruin's questioning look.
"I didn't see him. I did find this, though," And she indicated a second horse being led behind her own. "Oh, and this, too." She handed Thorondruin a sack. Looking in, he discovered some food and quite a lot of money. He looked up at her with a grin.
"'Found it', eh? Excellent work." She smiled in return.

There was a disturbance among the horses. Looking, Thorondruin discerned the cause. "Ah, Carathon! Returned at last! Have some more meat!" He tossed a chunk at him, but Carathon fumbled in trying to catch it and it fell into the mud. Starving as he was, he ate it anyway, causing Ozracles to laugh again.

"Tell me, boy, do you cook?" Thorondruin asked in a mock-fatherly tone. Carathon gave him such a miserable look that Thorondruin took a step back. He was unaccustomed to seeing such expressions. He turned away, muttering, "Well, eat the meat, anyway," Then turned back and added, "Hithduiniel has gotten you a horse. There it is."

Carathon looked around suspiciously, wondering where the Elf would have gotten a horse in the middle of the woods, but decided it might be a better idea not to ask. These seemed like hard folk and he might not like the answer.

They all settled down for the night. No one did the cooking; they all ended up eating dried meat. Himelilek and Ozracles gave him questioning looks, but Thorondruin ignored them. He was a little ashamed at his own weakness in dealing with the boy and didn't want to deal with the others' judgement of him as well.

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 09-08-2002, 04:48 PM   #162
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
1420!

In fact, Remdil was preoccupied, and thought nothing of the grey mare careening by in an absolutely careless and inappropriate manner, but someone else did. The smith, Battadan, rushed from his room (he had quarreled with his wife the day before, and had needed a place to sleep) and whistled to the horse, who stopped, perplexed, and gently ignored all urgings from her panicked rider. Dineniel sighed inwardly, stopped kicking the horse, and put on her most friendly and trustworthy smile for the man. "Yes?" she asked sweetly.

Maybe it would have worked. It had worked before. But Battadan hadn't yet finshed with his series of indignant throat-clearings (he was extraordinarily loquacious, but he always had to work himself up to it) when Remdil returned, leading a horse that made the Elf's eyes widen involuntarily with admiration, in spite of her chagrin.

He stood still for a moment, taken aback. So..one of the thieves was there still, was she? Better and better. Suddenly businesslike, he turned to his red-faced client.

"Good morning!" he said politely. "How was your night?"

"My night, indeed!" sputtered Battadan. "What about my horse?"

It was his wife's horse really, and he saw his plan of reconciliation crumbling before his eyes.

"She looks well, doesn't she? Razawyn, how is she doing? Any limps?"

Dineniel, distracted by a half baked plan to ride off as quickly as possible as soon as anyone looked away, took a moment to realize that by Razawyn, he meant her. "No, none at all," she answered truthfully, doing her best to keep her expression inscrutable.

Battadan now included Remdil in his suspicious glare. "Doubtless," he said dryly, "but the question remains, how did my mare aquire such a treasure as a Razawyn? I'm sure I've never seen one like it near her before, and I must say that my notion is, we were quite well off without."

Dineniel bristled. Remdil grinned. "You paid good money to stable your horse here, did you not? Did you imagine we'd simply keep her standing here, rotting her hooves, as likely as not?" Remdil knew almost nothing about horses, and he suspected that the smith knew a good deal, but perhaps he could brazen this out. "We exercise them all every day now, you know."

Battadan snorted. "You mean to say that this girl is one of your grooms?" he asked scornfully, glancing at the girl in question, who looked nothing like a groom.

"My cousin, Razawyn, come to learn the trade. Do you remember my cousin Tharniran?"

"No."

"Well, this is his daughter, come back to town, since my uncle never found anyone to take over the inn, and he grows old, you know, Battadan."

Battadan ran an eye over Dineniel's elven beauty. "Your cousin."

"Yes." Remdil stared back at the smith, not giving way. Eventually the other sighed.

"Just give me back my horse."

"With pleasure. Razawyn!"

Dineniel reluctantly slid off the horse, and stood next to Remdil. "I'm not your cousin," she whispered indignantly.

"Of course you are. Now shut up," answered Remdil, seizing her by the arm and leading her back into the inn, only pausing to let the vastly amused groom take his horse. A thief to catch a thief, as they said.
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 09-08-2002, 06:36 PM   #163
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

'Razawyn' was thoroughly confuddled.

"Ah, erm, thank you and all, but I'll just be going now, then..."
"No, you won't. I beleive there is someting you can help me with."
"Ummm...I give up. Enlighten me."

They entered the Inn, Remdil hauling Dineniel down a corridor into his 'office'(more furinished closet then office), a small room on the ground floor. He deposited her in a chair and sat down across from her.
"Down to buisness; which way did your friends go?"
"Whyyyyyy?"
"They took my daughter with them."
"Oh! Um, I'm sorry..." That's my replacement, an Innman's daughter. Great.
"No, you're not, but that's beyond the point. Now where did they go?"
Old 09-09-2002, 04:48 AM   #164
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Remdil and Dineniel's conversation was interrupted by the entrance of a sharp-eyed woman of no great beauty but whose face was lined with years of care and experience. It was a strong face, and full of character. At the moment, it was also filled with a towering rage. Both Remdil and Dinenial recoiled at her entrance.

"Eolinda, what-" Remdil's voice was near panic and he moved to put the table between them. He had experienced his wife's anger in the past and always did his utmost avoid her then. He loved Eolinda, but in the deep places of his soul, places he wasn't quite aware of even after twenty years of marriage, she terrified him.
"Where is she?"
"Who?-"
She overrode him. "Where is she? She's with that Tannor again, isn't she? I told her to stay away from him!"
"Eolinda-"
Again, she ignored him. "Well, She'll never see him again, I guarantee it! Remdil, I want you to dismiss that no-account groom this moment! No, I'll do it myself, you never do anything right."
"But, Eolinda-"
She still hadn't really acknowledged his presence, despite giving him an order, and she hadn't run out of steam yet. She interrupted him once again, or tried to, because Dineniel had seen how ineffectual Remdil was being so she stood up and slapped Eolinda sharply across the face. The woman stopped abruptly, as if...well, as if she'd been slapped and was unable to do anything but stare at the Elf for what seemed like minutes, but was really only a few seconds.
Remdil was also shocked, but not as much so as Eolinda, who'd never been struck in her life.

Remdil sighed in relief. One thing he was glad for: Eolinda's rages were spectacular, but they were also usually brief. "Ah, thank you, Razawyn. Now, Eolinda, what were you saying? Eolinda?"
Eventually she turned toward him, still bemused. "Huh? Oh! Have you seen Livia? She not in the inn; I think she's out with that no good groom again."
Remdil looked distinctly uncomfortable. "Uh...Eolinda, I'd think you'd better sit down."
She did so, giving him a questioning look as she did so.
Remdil took a deep breath and told her of the events of the night before, beginning with Cadra's murder by a brigand and ending with Livia's kidnapping by that same brigand. He introduced Dineniel as "Razawyn" and didn't tell Eolinda of her part in the mess, because he had a use for the Elf and thought that if his wife knew about Dineniel's part, she might do something...precipitous. He finished by requesting that she stay in Garolin and tend the inn while he and Razawyn went after the brigands. Her reaction was about what he expected.
"What?! You expect me to stay behind while Livia's out there somewhere, kidnapped by brigands? No. No, no, no!" Each "no" was puncuated by a sharp shake of her head.
All Remdil could do was attempt to make her see reason, but he had little hope of success. He would try, though. "But, Dear, who would run the inn while we were gone? Someone has to stay behind, if only for that."
She snorted. "Make that no good Uncle of yours do it. By the Valar, he's supposed to own the place! He's never even around."
The dicussion continued in this vein for some time before Remdil gave up and allowed that she could go with them to rescue Livia. Dineniel was relieved; she stayed out of it, since it seemed to be a family matter, and by the end she'd gotten very bored. She'd been able to tell in the first five minutes that Remdil would lose the argument, but she'd had no choice but to wait. But finally, they were able to leave the inn and set out.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:23 AM   #165
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Phoenix Solitude has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix Solitude Send a message via AIM to Phoenix Solitude
Tolkien

Carathon chewed hungrily on his meat. It seemed hard, tough, but he was so hungry he didn't care. Looking at the people around him, he quickly rubbed some spit into the meat and lobbed it into the fire. No-one noticed, and when he drew out the burning meat, none blinked an eyelid. He let it cool, blew hard upon it then ate. It was softer and sweeter.
Carathon was not sure why he had disappeared from the group. He had been to the river, he knew, and he had washed, bathed fully clothed, eager to please. His smell was gone now, and his hair was a lovely shade of brownish red, shoulder length. He still wore rags, rather worse for their dipping. But all in he seemed to be quite handsome.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:56 AM   #166
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

Ozracles smirked at the cleansed Carathon, as he finished his meager meal. The big, bald barbarian growled at what he saw. Grabbing the young man by the back of his head, he snarled. “You’re a pretty one, aren’t you? Mayhap were you a lass, your virtue would be at stake here.” With a disgusted scowl, Ozracles flung the terrified boy backward, almost causing him to fall back into the mud again. Walking away, he turned to look back and muttered, “Thorondruin may be trusting you too soon, but be wary, I shall be watching you.”

As the others peacefully slept, the wild-eyed brigand flopped himself down and began sharpening the edge of his broadsword with a piece of flint and some oil.
His was the first watch.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:33 AM   #167
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix Solitude Send a message via AIM to Phoenix Solitude
Tolkien

Carathon sat up, rubbing the back of his head. He glanced around to make sure Ozracles was nowhere about, then crept off. He spent the night sitting in a tree, hugging his knees close to his rag covered chest. What had he done wrong? all he wanted was to be accepted, to fit in. He was clean, he worked hard and he only spoke when spoken to. Why did they still treat him like an outcast?
Carathon remembered his wild roots. He had fitted in among the wild pack of foxes and wolves that had brought him up. that was why he didn't fit among humans, but he was yet to work that out. Carathon turned his face towards the moon and let out a long, mournful howl that echoed through the still night.
I see what this is Cim! A quest for power! Ozracles doesn't feel in charge so he bullies Carathon to make himself seem powerful! Sussed you out lol!
Old 09-12-2002, 01:39 AM   #168
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Livia delicately fingered the cooking knife she had hidden up her sleeve. These men were animals - if it ever came to defending herself, she had to remember that. Imagine them just as the pigs that she had to kill for roasts when she had been at the inn. Simply a quick flick across the throat, or a sure thrust between the ribs into the muscle of the heart.
What she didn't understand, was why she didn't just kill them during the night, or attempt to escape. She remembered back to her overbearing mother and her dead-end life at the inn.
For the moment, she decided to just study those she was with. Oz tended to lash out with his right arm first. Himel liked to use whatever was at hand to advantage, and Thor prefered his weapons. She was surprised Thoronduin hadn't already taken advantage of her.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:08 AM   #169
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

Himelilek sneered at the melodrama that seemed to be playing out between Oz and Carathon. Carathon seemed pathetic - he did was he was bidden without question and took punishment without a word. There was nothing of the wild animal in him -someone or something had obviously broken his spirit long ago.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:35 AM   #170
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ooc – Your right, Sol. That is indeed what ails Oz. Great character development opportunity, don’t you agree. Hey, what’s Kettle doing playing Livia and Himel, get off and make your own character, will you?

Ozracles glanced over the huddled forms of Thorondruim, Himelilek and the bound and gagged Livia as they slept. He smirked, rubbing his grizzled chin. That young fool must have been scared out of his wits to hide in some tree, he mused. Putting his sword back into its scabbard, he leaned back on the tree he was sitting against and stretched out his heavily booted legs. The night would soon give way to day; it was time to wake Thorondruin for the next watch. The huge, bald barbarian casually tossed a fist-sized rock at the snoring brigand’s midriff. Thorondruin woke up with a grunt, and groaned as he looked around blearily.

“Your turn at the watch, fruitlips!” Ozracles grinned and closed his eyes at Thorondruin’s knife and daggers glare.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:53 AM   #171
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Growling about disrespectful barbarians, Thorondruin got up to take his watch, kicking a rock out of his way as he went. He noticed the boy hiding up the tree, but didn't bother to make him come down or anything. His watch passed unevenfully, and when he woke Himelilek for her turn, he "accidentally" kicked the barbarian in the lower back. Ozracles grunted and uttered a sleepy curse, but didn't wake up fully. Throndruin grinned to himself as he settled back to sleep.

Anyone other than Belin know the origin of the word "barbarian"?

My but that was random as only 3 AM can be...
Old 09-14-2002, 04:34 AM   #172
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Remdil watched his wife pack with an astonishment he shouldn't have felt after knowing her for so many years. Finally, he couldn't take it anymore.
"What are you doing?" He uttered in a preternaturally shrill voice.
"Packing," She replied, calm as ever.
Supressing an irritated sigh, he said, "I can see that. Why are you packing? It's the middle of the night."
"Don't you want to find our daughter?"
No response but a snort. She shrugged and continued her packing.
Remdil tried again. "What I meant was, why can't you wait until morning? Or at least daylight."
"The longer we wait, the farther ahead they are."
"But, Eolinda, it's night. They must be camped."
For the first time she stopped what she was doing and turned to face him. "Oh, Remdil, dearest husband, don't be stupid."
"What?! What do you mean, 'stupid'?"
She gave an exasperated sigh. "When did they leave?"
"Yesterday at dawn."
"And how far do you think they could have gotten in a day? A fair way, I'd say. They had horses, didn't they? Of course they did," she said, not waiting for his reply. "Now, we can wait around here and allow them to still be a full day ahead of us, or we can set out now and shorten their lead by several hours. Which do you think is the wiser course?"
Remdil didn't bother answering. He knew when he was beaten.

Just then, Razawyn popped her head in through the doorway. "I got horses," she said cheerily.
Remdil looked at her with narrowed eyes. "Where?" He asked suspiciously.
She glanced around the room, refusing to meet his eyes. "Oh, you know, they were...around," she said a bit vaguely.
Remdil sighed. "They aren't the inn's, are they?"
Razawyn widened her eyes in mock innocence. "Of course not! They were in a field."
"Stop!!" Eolinda suddenly burst out. She was very confused by the exchange between Razawyn and her husband and she was not a woman who relished the feeling of confusion. "What is going on here?"
Remdil uncomfortably told her of Razawyn's part in the excitement of the previous two nights and of her part in Livia's kidnapping. He ended with, "But she's helping us now, so we shouldn't do anything hasty!" As he restrained his incenced wife from going after the Elf's throat.
"Fine," Eolinda said as she starightened herself, "I'll use her but I'll never trust her."
"Oh, and she's a horse thief," Remdil said.
"And my real name's Dineniel," The Elf added.
Eolinda just threw up her hands and finished packing.

When they got out to the horses, though, she stopped dead. "Those are Ailin's horses!" She exclaimed, "We can't take those! Put them back immediately!"
Remdil shook his head. "We have no choice. We'll bring them back when we come back to town. We're only borrowing them."
Muttering deprecations under her breath, Eolinda allowed Remdil to help her mount and the three of them rode away from Garolin, into the darkness of the Wild.

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 09-15-2002, 06:52 PM   #173
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Silmaril

Almost immediately after the strange trio left the village, Eolinda began nagging, alternately, Remdil and 'Razawyn' about everything from Dineniel's horse-theivery too 'how did Remdil become involved with these criminals anyways?'.

At one point, Dineniel noticed that Eolinda was having some trouble with her horse, and laughed somewhat nastily, but was silenced by a look from Remdil.
Idiot mortals, think they know everything, *mutter grumble*

As it got darker, Remdil suggested camping, but was immediately shot down by his wife, so they rode on into the night, until a half-asleep Remdil almost rode off the path into a crevice. A halt was finally called and they spent an uneventful night of little sleep.

When a wide-awake and refreshed looking Dineniel gleefully woke Eolinda & Remdil up, there was much grumbling and going-on, but they finally set out. The overly cheery Elf chatted to no-one in paticular as Remdil and Eolinda rode on in a sleepy stupor, glaring darkly at her.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Rosseiliantiel ]
Old 09-16-2002, 01:33 AM   #174
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

I'm writing this because I'm bored and wanted to post. I thought a little atmosphere would be nice [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The morning dawned grey and chill. Unbeknownst to them, the two Elves stood together on the same ridge of Downs and looked East, into the rising sun, or where the sun would rise if the sky were clear. It was going to rain; one believed it would start by noon, the other somewhat later in the afternoon, but both were sure it would rain.
With identical sighs of disappointment, the two Elves turned back toward their respective groups of Men. Each wondered at times why she'd chosen her particular course of life, and dawn on a rainy midwinter day was always such a time, but their lives were such as they had chosen, and there was little either could do to change them at this moment.
With little relish but a sense of duty only an Elf could command, they woke the Men they travelled with and the two groups, so alike, so different, set out on their day's journey.
As they set out, the rain began to come down in sheets, heavy and cold. The Men huddled over their mounts' whithers, attempting to block the fall, but the Elves, closer to Arda, turned their faces up to the sky and let the rain beat on their temples.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 09-16-2002, 08:08 AM   #175
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

Carathon looked towards the rain. The wind was rising, pulling at his rags, trying to push him from the branch. He jumped down, cursing out loud as the stones bit into his bare feet.
He limped over to the fire, sitting away from Ozracles in the hope that he wouldn't notice him.

Cimmerian, just as a test, can we see what would happen if Carathon stood up to Ozracles? I'd like to see Oz turn purple and explode!
Old 09-16-2002, 08:57 AM   #176
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

The boy darted towards the display of fruit and vegetables, but the stallkeeper had been waiting for him from the little escapade yesterday, and strode in front of his wares to shoe him off.
"Get lost, you dirty scamp," the seller barked, "before I call the guards".
Both knew it was an idle threat - the guards would not take lightly to being disturbed for so slight a reason. But the temptation to try and sneak around the seller was dampened when the angry man picked up a heavy stick to emphasize his meaning. The boy walked away, then scurried back and nicked an apple when the seller was dealing with a customer. He munched it happily as he ran along, filching a roll of bread and a green hankerchief out of habit. The green hankerchief was very soft - he probably could sell it to one of the more unscrupulous dealers near the river bank, but he decided to keep it instead. Melting into a shadow, he took out the pouch that he kept next to his skin, and emptied its contents into the hankerchief. Glancing quickly around, he knotted the hankerchief and slipped it back into his pouch which he replaced.
Fat drops of rain began to fall, causing the customers to scatter and the outdoor sellers to hastily cover their wares. The boy munched the bread, as he looked enviously at the shop across. It was a proper shop, not one of those outdoor stalls, and sold among the shelves of scented candles that only the richer could afford, were jars and jars of golden honey. These were behind the counter and the boy often looked at them from outside, all the rumours of what honey was supposed to taste like swimming in his head. The rain was really pouring down now, so the slip of a boy vanished to find shelter.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:40 PM   #177
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
1420!

<Susan, you're psychic. I was just thinking it should start to rain!>
< Please note: the (dis)organization of Delgado & Ibaimendi, Inc, assumes no liability for damages, psychological harm, or loss of higher brain functions resulting from antagonization of the barbarian. >

Remdil sat his horse with the greatest dignity he could muster. He was sore, tired and wet, and Eolinda (though twice the horseman he was) seemed to feel the same way. She sat stiffly on the horse ahead of him, and the storm clouds on her face rivaled those of the sky. She snarled at Dineniel over the meal, but the Elf simply shrugged it off, as she did the fact that Eolinda continued to address her as "Razawyn" for some reason.

Heavily the low sky rained over walled Neniant. They weren't far from town; they would have seen it from their campsite in better light. They rode toward it quietly.

"Have you been here before?" Dineniel asked suddenly.

Eolinda glared at her but didn't answer. Remdil considered.

"A few times, yes, but not for years. Only the merchants ride back and forth now. There are dangerous people out here." The last said without thinking, and with a furtive glance at the Elf as an afterthought. She didn't seem to notice.

"Do they know you there?" He shook his head. "What about those walls?"

"What about them? There's a gate."

Eolinda broke in impatiently. "Must you always think like a thief, you thief? We're respectable people, we enter the town like respectable people, we conduct ourselves respectably there, and we leave in a calm and rational manner! What's the matter with you?"

Remdil flinched. Dineniel shrugged and rode a little faster.

"You'll watch her, won't you?" Remdil whispered to his wife. She nodded solemnly as they neared the watchtower. A voice was calling to them.

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 09-17-2002, 01:03 AM   #178
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hm, he'd probably get his skull crushed in. But what do you mean by test, there is nothing to measure up to here. It all depends on how we write our parts.

The heavy drops of rain pelting down on his weather worn face and bald head, refreshed the barbarian and saved him a trip to the stream. He sat still and enjoyed the sharp sting of the falling water.
Oblivious to all else, he closed his eyes and smiled contentedly.

Himelilek woke up with a start and cursed loudly as the rain drenched the elf maid. She dragged her cloak over her head and crawled under the overgrowth of a low branched tree. She glared at the others for a while as her sharp ears detected some suppressed giggles, and then dozed off again.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:13 AM   #179
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Hey, no smashing the help; he's useful [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thorondruin huddled against the rainfall, silently cursing the others' evident pleasure in being drenched to the skin. Well, maybe not all the others...Livia didn't seem too badly off; she had Thorondruin himself to lean against for warmth, but the boy, Carathon, seemed bad off. He was shivering in his rags and looked nearly ready to fall off his horse. None of the others seemed to have noticed. Thorondruin shrugged and sped up a little. If the boy didn't know how to stay warm, well, that was his problem.

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 09-17-2002, 01:42 AM   #180
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ooc - Uh, when did we start riding again...I though we were all sleeping in the woods. I said probably crush-in his skull.

Ozracles leered at Livia as the rain drenched the flimsy dress she wore. It clung to her body, and her face coloured under the barbarian's discerning eye. She curled herself into a ball, hugging her knees close to her.
Thorodruin noticed the way Oz enjoyed the view and took a step towards the bald man. In his haste, the tall thin brigand slipped and fell face first into the mud. Ozracles brayed with laughter, even as Carathon giggled softly, at least it was someone other than him who tasted mud for a change.

Thorodruin threw himself at Ozracles in a maddening rage and the two large men rolled around on the mud, scuffling wildly to get an upper hand as the rain now cascaded down quite heavily around them in sheets of white.

Livia's heart leapt wildly as she watched the two men fight, she prayed that they would kill eachother and maybe she could escape. Casting a furtive look at Himelilek, she sighed in relief as the elf snored softly, oblivious to the chaos around her.

Then Ozracles heavy fist smashed into Thorondruin's face, breaking his nose with a loud dull crack. The brigand howled in pain and kicked the barbarian low. With a strangled gasp and eyes bulging, Ozracles went down in a heap. Tears of agony streaming down his face, as nerves knotted in paralysing pain.

Carathon smiled openly now, thrilled to witness his oppresors at the recieving end of what he had been dished up so often.

The fight over, both men sat and glared at each other, each awaiting the next one to speak first.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:35 AM   #181
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

Cool down you guys this is meant to be fun! And Cim, by test I meant to see what will happen. But I hope you don't mind me taking a tiny liberty here.

Carathon watched as Oz rolled around, howling. Suddenly, Oz sat up very sraight and looked right at Carathon. Carathon immediatly stopped smiling, but he knew it was already too late.
In one movement, Ozracles stood up and strode towards the ragged-clothed boy. He grabbed the top of Carathon's hair, pulling his head back. Carathon grimaced but bore it.
"Smirk will you? Smile? Funny is it? I'll give you funny my lad!"
Oz dragged Carathon from his horse and dealt him a heavy blow to the head. Carathon staggered but did not fall. Oz growled and lunged for the boy's throat, totally enraged.
Carathon never knew why he did it, or how he managed it, but he was so scared of what might happen that he drew back a fist and slammed it into Ozracle's nose. Blood spurted out like a scarlet fountain.

There Cim, what is his reaction? Give Carathon a good hiding? Stop bullying him?
And I really don't know why everyone calls Carathon 'boy' when he's at least 20 if not more. Still, it sounds good!
Old 09-18-2002, 08:44 AM   #182
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ozracles was stunned, but more so by the unexpectedness of the blow than the blow itself. The slight blood that trickled out of an old injury bothered him little. The fact that now a mere boy, that too a pretty one, had had the gall to strike at him raised his hackles. Driving his right fist into the boy’s midriff, the huge barbarian slammed his left fist downward as Carathon doubled up in pain.

As the boy crumpled down in a whimpering heap and lay crouched on the muddy ground, Ozracles raised his large boot to crush down on his head. Thorondruin yelled but still held on to his profusely bleeding nose. As the killing boot came down on the frightened boy’s head, Ozracles found himself being lifted up into the air. Turning his bloodied face in confusion, he looked into Himelilek’s dark eyes and maniacal smile.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:48 AM   #183
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

“Let him be, big man,” she purred, holding up his immense bulk, seemingly without much effort.
At the barbarian’s confused glare, she whispered. “There’ll be time enough for fun and games later, after we have got our hands on the trinket.” With that she winked and let him drop to the ground.

Muttering curses, the barbarian walked away, failing to notice the young Carathon slip one of the daggers that had fallen out of his scabbard, into his ragged tunic with a bitter glare at its former owner. Biting his lip to fight back the pain, he rose up and hobbled to his horse. “Never again,” he whispered to his steed, “never again will he lay his hands on me.”

“If we are all quite done,” barked Himelilek, “Let us be on our way!”

Thorondruin nodded and remounted, casting a dark scowl at Ozracles who returned the pleasantry.

The party moved on.

Ooc- Sol, place these large OOC posts and queries in the discussion thread. That’s why it is there.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:55 AM   #184
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

Ok, sorry. Argh I did it again!

Carathon jumped onto his horse, gasping as the pain stabbed. He kicked the sides and the beast galloped away.
Carathon did not know where he was going or why, but he was on the look out for something.
Flowers. For Heimlelik (sorry if name is spelt wrongly) to say thank you for saving him.
He spotted some in a field and rode up, scooping the stems from the ground. They were beautiful. He shook the dirt from the ends and turned the horse around. Riding back slowly, the ebbing sun burning his half uncovered back.

Lemme just state that Carathon is NOT falling in love with Hiem. He is a gentleman and wishes to thank her!
Old 09-20-2002, 02:04 AM   #185
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

"Who's out there?" The voice called. Dineniel stopped her horse warily but Remdil only waved her on impatiently. He went a few steps more toward the gate, then stopped and looked back at her sharply. "Unless there's a reason you can't go inside?"
She shook her head and the horse's reins and started toward the gate again. "No, it was just a reflex...I've never been here before."

"Are you two coming? It's raining and I want to go inside," Eolinda sounded peevish and Remdil didn't mention that they probably wouldn't be going "inside" any time soon.

The boy watched the three travellers pass through the gate. They certainly looked prosperous, but then why were they out on this miserable morning? He followed them as they wandered around the town. He didn't know what they were looking for, but he observed them and determined several things about them which helped him decide how they should be approached.

OOC Aside: I'm operating on the asumption that KoF's boy wouldn't be able to recognise an Elf on sight. After all, his "education", such as it is, has been very parochial. End of Aside

The older woman was obviously in charge, though the younger one seemed to be laughing behind her grim expression. The man rode between and behind the two women and seemed unsure of his place, although that could be a reaction to the weather.

The boy decided his best bet would be to approach the older woman. The man would differ to her, and the younger one was unpredictable. She might just kick him and ride on, no doubt laughing the whole time.

Eolinda pulled to a halt when the boy stepped out of the alley a little way ahead. He looked miserable, shivering, and as she watched, he stumbled and fell into the mud in the middle of the street. When he didn't get up again, she leapt off the horse and ran to turn him over. Remdil and Dineniel followed helplessly in her wake.

She gently turned him over. He was filthy and dresed in rags and she could smell him even over the rain. She looked up at Remdil, about to voice her sudden doubts about the boy's validity when he suddenly curled up and leapt to his feet. He ran, with her purse clutched in one of his grubby hands. Eolinda cried out in dismay, but Dineniel was two steps ahead. Literally. As an Elf, ahe could run much faster than a small, chronically underfed Atani child and she quickly caught him and dragged him back to the others, kicking and screaming.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:36 AM   #186
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

The boy called out as the younger woman's hand grabbed onto him and dragged him back to the other two. He should have know that she would be unpredictable. He bit savagely at her and tried to wriggle out of her grasp but there was no use.
Scowling sullenly, he held up his empty hands.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:53 AM   #187
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

The Eye

Remdil muttered something about, "A thief to catch a thief, again." under his breath. Eolinda had immediately taken charge of the little captive and was holding him by the ear and berating him endlessly, each point punctuated by a tug on his ear. The boy was yelping and clawing at her arm, to no avail. Dineniel was glaring half-heartedly at everyone and everything from under her rain-drenched hood.

This whole scene was, obviously, earning them some strange glances from the passers-by who were appearing from their homes and opening up their shops as the sun rose higher and the rain began to show signs of slowing.

[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: Rosseiliantiel ]
Old 09-21-2002, 12:16 PM   #188
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Thorondruin rode well ahead of the others, still mopping at his gushing nose. If that creature ever so much as touched him again, he lose something more valuable than his pride. If he was as foolish as Thorondruin knew he was, then he probably wouldn't live to regret it. The next time he-Thorondruin's thoughts were interrupted by Livia turning around as much as she could in her current position and said qietly, "Why did you do that?"
Thorondruin stared at her for a moment. This was the first time she'd been even halfway civil to him since he'd known her. He muttered, "Shut up. I didn't do it for you."
Her face fell. With a whispered, "Oh," she turned back toward the front.

No one spoke for hours. The rain fell, the wind blew, and everyone thought their own thoughts. Around midday, Thorondruin and Livia looked around as Himelelek aproached from behind.

"There's someone following us," She said quietly.
"Is there?" He sighed. This was just not what he wanted right now. "How many, how far?"
"I'd say two or three, perhaps a league back." She grinned tightly. "They're trying to be quiet back there. They don't know one of us is an Elf."
Thorndruin sighed, "All right. Ozracles, Carathon, come on up here."
Carathon obeyed, but the barbarian only grunted.
Thorondruin stopped and turned his horse to face the recalcitrant barbarian. "Oz, get up here! Now!"
Muttering imprecations, Ozracles rode up to the others. "What?"
"Himelilek says we're being followed. You and I are going back to investigate, while Himelilek and Carathon wait here for us to return. Understood?" Everyone nodded and Throndruin and Ozracles turned back down the path.

"What did the Elf say about the people following us?" Ozracles asked as they rode.
"Everyone's full of questions today, aren't they? She didn't say anything, just that someone is following us. Now be quiet, we don't want them to hear us coming," but it was too late. Even as Thorondruin warned the other to silence, a large man-not as big as Ozracles, but big enough to serve-riding an equally large horse burst out of the bushes and grabbed Ozracles' reins as he galloped past. Ozracles attacked the man with his sword, but the somewhat wild swing combined with the horse's sudden forward lunge caused him to tumble over the horse's rump and land in a heap on the ground. Throndruin swore and took off after the would-be horse thief, but it soon became obvious that the man was more familiar with the forest and Thorondruin was quickly outdistanced. With a last curse at the man's fleeing back, Thorondruin trotted back to where Ozracles was still sitting on the ground, clutching a nasty cut on his forearm. When he fell off the horse, his unsheathed sword had fallen with him. Being a proper barbarian, Ozracles always kept his weapon honed to a razor edge and when he'd fallen, the sword had struck him in the arm, nearly severing it; only the bone had stopped the blade. He was fortunate it was only his arm that had been hit, and not something more sensitive, like his head. Thronrodruin frowned and reconsidered his last thought. His head was certainly not the worst place Ozracles could have been hit. He barely used it, after all, so how necessary could it be?

Thorondruin suppressed a grin as he approached the man sitting on the ground. "What's this, a barbarian caught off his guard?"
Ozracles growled a curse and threw a rock in Thorondruin's direction. "Shut up and help me! Gah! Didn't you even get the horse back?" He shouted, angry and emabarrassed at having fallen so ignominiously. Thorondruin shrugged.
Ozracles tried to get to his feet, but fell back immediately. He'd lost a lot of blood, was still losing it, and obviously needed help. Thorondruin dismounted and tore strips from the barbarian's cloak to use as a tourniquet. "Can you ride a horse?" He asked.
With help, Ozracles managed to get to his feet, but he couldn't mount the horse by himself, and, being bigger than Thorondruin by six inches and at least a hundred pounds, Throndruin could not help him, so they ended up walking back to where the others waited.

[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 09-22-2002, 02:08 AM   #189
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ozracles grunted in pain, Thorondruin’s make shift nursing, though poor had served its purpose in delaying the wound from getting contaminated. But any longer and the large barbarian would loose the use of his sword arm. He gritted his teeth as they walked back to where the others had been waiting. The others gaped at the blood soaked vest and leggings on Ozracles. Carathon and Livia gasped at the horribly deep gash on the barbarian’s thickly muscled forearm, his callused fingers hung limply as severed nerves rendered them nearly useless. Himelilek approached the barbarian with a smirk.

“Finally met your match, had you?” she sneered.

Ozracles glared at her as Thorondruin laughed, but Livia and Carathon were still aghast at the sight of blood.

“Shut your laughing,” groaned Ozracles, teeth gritting, “And use some of your elven unguents to heal my arm.”

Himelilek smiled smugly and rummaged about in the small pouch she carried on her belt. Fishing out a tiny vial with a flourish, she grabbed at the blood soaked pieces of cloth that held the wound in place and yanked them off with a sharp pull. Ozracles howled in agony and sank to his knees, as the gaping wound spurted red blood all around the two of them. Thorondruin quickly lost his sense of humour and gasped.
Livia turned away and Carathon barely kept his breakfast down.

Ozracles, now delirious with pain, grabbed at the elf as she poured a thick green liquid from the vial over the gaping wound.

“I know I am going to regret this,” she muttered, ‘but we need your brawn for a task like this.”

“Rrrrggghh!” Ozracles stiffened as the elven medicine began to take effect. He tightened his grip on Himelilek and she had to kick him away. The barbarian rolled about on the grassy ground, his loud groans subsiding to whimpers. The wound on his sword arm seemed to close itself up, until all but a dark thin scar remained. One, which the barbarian would display arrogantly when he awoke if only he hadn’t fallen on his own sword. Ozracles slept peacefully.

“How did he fall on his own sword?” Himelilek asked.

“He was taken by surprise.” Thorondruin answered, his eyes were fixated on the vial in the elf’s hand, which she deftly placed back into its pouch. “How long will he be asleep?’

“A few moments, the spell will regenerate his strength as well.”

“Well, without his horse, one of us has to share with him.”

“Not me!” Himelilek snorted.

Thorondruin looked over at Carathon, who gulped hard and looked away. He’d rather have Livia ride behind him, but Ozracles might as well throw the boy off his horse and take it all for himself. But if he placed the girl with Carathon, they may just run away, Thorondruin thought for a while. He surely did not want to have Ozracles sitting behind him.

Then Ozracles woke up and put the lean man out of his dilemma. “I must get my horse back,” he grumbled, rising up on unsteady feet. He looked at his healed arm as if it was new. Flexing his muscles, he smiled at Himelilek.

“Come with me elf. We have a score to settle.”

“Those horse thieves are still near, waiting to ambush us again soon. I agree with the barbarian. We will strike at them before they strike at us again.” Himelilek said in a matter of fact manner.

“Aye!” Ozracles roared, seamlessly sliding his razor-edged broadsword out from its well-worn, leather scabbard. “Come, Elf!”

‘I will stay here with these two.” Offered Thornondruin.

“A wise decision,” smiled Himelilek as she started off after the barbarian, “We will be back in a few turns of the glass.”

“Fare well!” said Carathon meekly but the Barbarian was out of earshot, and the elf couldn’t care less.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #190
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

"Hmmph"

The others turned to look at him, but he just shook his head and gestured to the remaining horses. "Come on, let's go. Livia, you're riding with me."
Carathon glanced back toward where Ozracles and Himelilek had disappeared. "We're just leaving them? Shouldn't we wait or something?"
"Hey! Who's is charge here? We're leaving."
"But-"
"On the horse!" Meekly, Carathon obeyed, and waited for Thorondruin's will. "Follow me."
Carathon looked like he'd like to ask where they were going, but thought better of it.

They rode back in the direction they'd come from for about a mile, then turned off onto a s track going into the trees. After a few minutes, they came in sight of Thorondruin's goal: a small farm surrounded by tall trees. Thorondruin stopped and watched for a while, then dismounted and had Carathon dismount too. He tied Livia securely, then gestured for carthon to follow, leading the horses. Carathon wondered what they were doing here, but didn't quite have the nerve to ask. As it happened, he didn't have to; Thorondruin volunteered the information.

"We need supplies. This farm looks like a good place to secure them."
Somehow, Carathon doubted that meant they were going to buy them from the farmer.
Thorondruin continued, "Boy, when we get into that barn, I just want you to stand and hold the horses. I'll get the supplies."
Sure, he could do that. And he did, right up until the voice yelled from the entrance, "Hai! What are you doing?"

Thorondruin whirled around, startled, in one hand a sack full of pilfered vegetables, in the other a dagger he'd been about to use to kill a young pig. He stared at the figure in the doorway, unable to move. It seemed he'd made a terrible mistake; this was no ordinary farm, apparently, not a human farm but one belonging to the Sindar, and in the doorway stood a young Elven maiden.

"I asked you a question," she said with all the imperiousness of the righteous.
Throndruin decided he should act as if nothing were amiss. "We're travelling through and we needed supplies."
"M-hm. And the reason you chose our farm?"
"It was the closest."
"I see. And were you planning to pay for what you're so generously helping yourself to?"
Thorondruin put on the most sincere grin he could under the circumstances. "Of course I was! Do I look like some sort of thief?" He spread his hands wide assumed a "fine, upstanding" posture.
The girl made no comment, but looked thoughtful.
"Well, I hate to be in such a rush, but we really must be going, " Thorondruin said. He dropped the sack with a soft thump and bustled toward the door, but the girl stopped him.
"Why are you really here?" She asked.
Annoyed, he responded, "I told you, we needed supplies. Now will you get out of the way?"
"No, I want to go with you."
"What?"
"You heard me, take me with you."
Before Thorondruin could respond, Carathon said, "Sir, just take her or don't, but let's go...I hear someone behind the barn."
Thorondruin paused to listen, and, sure enough, he could hear voices speaking softly from the other side of the barn's far wall.
The girl jerked straight. "It's my father!" she hissed, "Let's go!"
"Fine! Carathon, grab those vegetables. Girl, can you ride?"
She snorted. "My name's not 'girl', and of course I can." She went to a side stall and led a horse out to where the others were waiting. They leapt on their horses and rode quickly, but quietly, back to where Thorondruin had left Livia. She was gone. Thorondruin stared for a moment before Himelilek's voice called from not far off, "I have her Thor, let's go. Who's the Elf?
"Long story. We gotta get out of here; there may be pursuit."
"Oh, that's just great, esteemed leader, can't even steal some lousy vegetables without getting caught," Ozracles' voice was mocking and he sneered, pleased. He was also covered in blood and seated on his recovered horse.
"Shut up, idiot, we have to go!"
Old 09-23-2002, 01:46 AM   #191
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

It was almost noon, when Himelilek's tracking skills led the two hunters to their quarry. Three men, well armed but in ragged clothes and armour that were poorly mismatched, as if they were pried off the dead, or stolen off the blacksmith's waste-rack, sat around a small fire, feasting on some smelly fish.
Ozracles tensed as his eyes fell upon six horses tethered close to a brook. His tall black was among them. Turning to Himelilek, the barbarian growled in a low voice. "They're mine!"

"Suit yourself," replied the elf dryly.

With a wild ululating cry the barbarian rushed out and fell upon the startled trio. By the time the men realised what was going on, the horse thief closest to where the barbarian had charged from, was screaming like a woman, as half his spine stuck out from the deep gash rendered upon his lower back. The other two men leapt to their feet, the closest of whom went down again as Ozracles' savage thrust tore through his paltry armour, muscled torso and bone as one. He died before he hit the ground.

The third horse thief, almost as tall as the blood-mad barbarian, and nearly as heavy, was the one who had stolen his black from under him. Ozracles smiled, a smile that did not extend to his cold, dark eyes. The other man squared off against him, waving two short swords, one in each hand, in silvered arcs in the air.

"Killing them was easy, barbar," he sneered, "Now see how you fare against a real man. Or will you cut yourself again."

His rasping laugh soon turned to alarmed gasps as Ozracles lunged at him, broadsword swinging with wild abandon. The two large men were almost evenly matched, but it was always Ozracles who was attacking and the horse thief defending. The loud clash of metal against metal, borne by sinews of steel hard muscle, reverberated through the dense forest.

"Fool barbar," gasped the horse thief, as Ozralces slipped on spilt blood, but only down to one knee. Muttering a curse, the barbarian deftly parried a downard stroke and drove his free hand in a fist at the other man's midriff.
Out of breath and alarmed by the force of the blow, the large man staggered backward, dropping both his swords. In one swift motion, Ozracles rose to his feet and swung his mighty swordarm. Blood fountianed into the air out of the cavity where the thief's head once was as the large body, arms flailing toppled backwards. Ozracles kicked at the severed head, lifting it into the air and sent it swerving to where Himelilek sat watching.

The elf grinned as she grabbed at the blood stained head, its eyes rolling wildly, and walked up to the barbarian, who proceeded to free his horse.

"Impressive!" she said, tossing the severed head aside. "Let us take the rest of the horses too."

Ozracles grunted, wiping his sword clean against the headless corpse of the leader of the horse thieves. He nodded at Himelilek and mounted his black. "Aye, they may fetch us a good price."

"Now let us get back to Thorondruin. I do not wish him to make off with the jewels all by himself." Himelilek said and kicked her horse into flight. Ozracles followed, leading the five other horses behind his own.

As they neared the spot of rendezous, Thorondruin and the others were nowhere to be found.

"They cannot be far," growled Ozracles.

"I hear them, they are upwind a few miles. Come!"

As they rode on, Himelilek laughed. "That trusting fool, he has left the girl all by herself. She is on her way back. Right back to us."

Ozracles eyes lit up. Livia without the so-called protection of Thorondruin.
They decided to wait for her. And sure enough, she came frantically running through the undergrowth, almost colliding into the horses.

"Save me, kind sirs!" the panting girl pleaded, "I have been taken by force by..." She choked when she lifted her eyes at the leering grins of Ozracles and Himelilek. Her heart sank, she was too tired to cry.

"Well, well!" laughed Himelilek.

"You have some sleep potions, elf!" growled Ozracles. "Put her to sleep and I will have her bound and hidden, far away from Thorondruin."

"The potion will not be necessary." Himelilek laughed, lashing her foot out, her heavy boot landing hard on the base of the girl's skull. She went down in a heap. Ozracles glared at the laughing elf.

"I want her without scars." He roared.

"There'll be none. Does the big, bad barbarian have a soft spot for little Livia?" sneered the elf.

Ozracles cursed loudly and lifted up the limp form, stuffing her in a sack and binding it tightly, he casually tossed it over one of the stolen horses. And they made their way onward, until they came upon a farm.

"There," said Himelilek boredly, "are the rest of our fine party."
Old 09-23-2002, 07:41 AM   #192
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

The boy could already see the curious faces aimed towards them.
"Lemme go!!" he squealed, and finally yanked out of the grip of the older woman. His ear was red and stinging, and this unexpected turn of events meant that he had missed that time slot every third day when the baker disappeared for a full half minute to open the back door for the new flour supplies.
He had been meaning to grab enough loaves to give to the young'uns (urchins who were younger than five) who lived near the warehouses.
It was high time to disappear. But before he scurried off, the question that had been burning in his mind ever since the younger lady had caught him and he had stared into her face. He really ought not to ask. And yet...
The boy told himself not to be a scardycat and took a step back towards the trio.
Looking at the younger lady's face and then staring at the ground, he asked shyly, "Are you my mother?"
Old 09-23-2002, 08:29 AM   #193
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Tolkien

Bewildered by everything going on around him, Carathon ran off and sat crosslegged on the damp grass, deciding to stay there until he was called. After a while, he decided to do some writing, so from his bag he took his only possesion, a large, leather bound brown book. The leather was cracked and dirty and the pages were bent, torn. He took up his pen and wrote. His spelling and handwriting left a lot to be desired, but it was just ledgible.
Throndun stol sum vegtabals and a gil cort him. He is very angree. Ozaraceles is stil bein horibel and Hemlilek stoped him from hitin me. I wish i cud leev her but if i did they wud cach me and beet me hard. I shud gust stay her til they ar dun doin wot they ar doin and then hop they let me go. I got sum flowrs for hem but i havnt givn them to her yet becos she mit be angree. I hop my speelin has goten beter or maybee not becos no on can reed this.
Having slowly and labouriously written this out, Carathon placed the book carefully in his bag. Then, he jumped up, placed his bag on his shoulder and ran back to join the group.
Still, he had no idea what was going on, so he hung round hoping some one would explain things to him. Oz had been stabbed somehow, and he came up close and leant over somebodys shoulder.

Sarry! I'm just like, really confused!Is this better?

[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Phoenix Solitude ]
Old 09-23-2002, 02:50 PM   #194
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Silmaril

"Are you my mother?"

Dineniel's eyes opened wide in shock, and she nearly sat down in the street.
"I, uh, don't know. I don't think so..." The boy's face fell. Dineniel looked around at Eolinda and Remdil for help, but they seemed strangely embarrassed. Sighing, Dineniel pushed her hair out of her face and indicated her pointed ears.
"So, you see, um..."
Old 09-24-2002, 05:34 AM   #195
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ozrcles fingered the severed and pointed elf ears on his necklace absently as he licked his dry lips. His dark eyes staring keenly at the new maiden who had joined them. Another elf, he grimaced. Himelilek was bad enough. The elf maid glanced at the big, bald brute and her eyes widened in fear at the necklace of shrivelled elven ears he ran his callused fingers over, and then narrowed in loathing.

Ozracles snorted at her stares and gave Thorondruin a sour look. The tall, gangly man knew what that look was all about, but he ignored it. Instead he said, "Livia has escaped."

"I am not surprised," Ozracles grunted, "She her replacement?" The barbarain jerked his head toward the new addition to the group.

"Possibly, but she is more willing."

"More willing," Ozracles smirked.

"Good haul of horses you have there." Thorondruin changed the subject to draw the barbarain's leering attention form the maid.

"The profits come to the elf wench and I. You have no claim on them."

"What of the sacks on the horses?"

Ozracles glanced at the small sack in which Livia was bound, as it jiggled on the horse's saddle. "Those too are ours."

Thorondruin stared coldly for a while and then said, "Keep them. I have bigger and better game in mind."

Himelilek rode up close to the barbarian and smiled at Thorondruin. "Where do we go to now, fearless leader?" she asked.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:17 AM   #196
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

A wave of dissappointment washed over the boy. His lip quivered but he refused to let himself cry.
"I just thought," he said in a small voice, "that if I was really really good and looked after the young'uns and made sure Blind Tobey had stuff to eat, then... then my mother would come back. Because I was so good..."
He turned to go. Maybe he hadn't been good enough. But he'd keep being real good. And maybe one day, he'd be so good that his mother would come.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:08 PM   #197
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Sting

Eolinda felt a wave of disgust at seeing the others simply stand and watch as the poor, miserable looking boy walked away into the rain. Had they no comapssion? She supposed she'd have to to it herself, just like always.

"Wait!" She called to the boy's retreating back. He turned around, eyes lighting up with hope. He returned, slowly. when he stopped a dozen paces away, she said, "What's your name?"

He shrugged. "Don't have one."

"Oh. Well, we can't just call you 'boy'. What do you want us to call you?"

He shrugged again. He really looked miserable. "Blind Tobey and some of the others call me da, but I'm not."

"Who's Blind Tobey?" Remdil asked
"Are you hungry?" Eolinda asked similtaneously.

"Blind Toby's my little brother. I'm hungry. Do you have food?"

"Certainly." Eolinda said, getting some dried meat and bread out of her pack. The boy wolfed them eagerly. After he'd finsihed, he looked at them, a mite suspicious.

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

Eolinda frowned. "Why shouldn't I be? I know how it feels to go hungry." In fact, she knew nothing of the sort, but she ignored Remdil's nudge to that effect.

The boy only stared back. He may be younng, but he knew that nobody did anything for someone else without expecting something in return.

The silence stretched on for several minutes. Remdil was uncomfortable, but he, who actaully did know what it was like in the boys shoes-well, in a manner of speaking, anyway- did not want to be the one to confirm his suspicions. Eolinda felt quite all right with the situation, since she was the one who'd actually fed the boy. It was Dineniel who finally spoke up.

"We need information," she said.

The boy heaved a sigh of relief. Was that all? He nodded and addressed the Elf. "What do you need to know?"

"We need to know if you've seen two men and a- a woman like me ride through here either today or late yesterday. One of the men would have had a girl with her."

The boy, who missed very little that went on in Nenient, hadn't seen the thing she was describing and said so. Remdil and Eolinda looked sorely disappointed, but Dineniel looked as if it was exactly what she'd been expecting to hear.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:52 AM   #198
Kettle of fish
Wight

Pipe

The boy looked apprehensively at the three after he had gobbled down the food. He knew he should have waited. That was the cardinal rule - Nothing from strangers came for free.

He was relieved when all they wanted was information. That had been close - by eating their food he had essentially agreed to anything they might demand. Street honour demanded it. Having meat had been too much of a temptation, but it would not happen again.

As it was, he was already feeling guilty for not thinking things through. He should have saved some for Blind Tobey. Blind Tobey generally did fairly well in regards to coin when travellors visited the Black Tobey Inn that he sat outside - all the locals had long figured out that the blindness was only an act and took to reaching for a stick whenever he came by.
He should have left some for Tobey. How would he mother ever come back if he was so selfish?

"Shouldn't ha' told them" he whispered under his breath.
He turned once again to leave.

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Kettle of fish ]
Old 09-28-2002, 01:52 AM   #199
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Throndruin looked around at the others and found himself alone. Himelilek ignored him as much as she could and Oz kept giving him these little sideways grins he found extremely creepy. Of the others, only the new Elf, Hithduiniel, was paying any positve attention to him. She was, in fact, riding next to him and talking very quickly about anything and everything she could think of. It was extremely annoying. It may also explain the looks he was getting from the barbarian.

After ten minutes, he snapped, "By the Valar, shut up!"
She closed her mouth with a snap and directed her horse farther back in the group.

Ignoring Ozracles' extremely unbarbaric giggles, he addressed Himelilek, "Well, where are we going?"
She looked around thoughtfully. "Well, we're about three days north of Ossiriand and Beren and Luthien live quite a bit farther south. I'd say we've got at least another week of travelling before we get where we're going."
Ozracles broke off his laughter at this news. "A week!" He exclaimed hotly, "When I signed on here, I assumed it would be a short job!" He glared at Throndruin as if it were his fault somehow. Thorondruin ignored him.
"A week? Well, I hope you know what you're talking about...We'd better be moving on," He didn't relish being in the dangerous barbarian's company any more than Ox wanted to be in his; he kicked his horse into a canter and the others followed suit.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:12 AM   #200
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

"Wait!" Eolinda called again. The boy kept trying to run away when she wasn't finished with him.
The boy turned back, thinking dreadfully,Oh, here it comes. He said nothing, but waited for Eolinda to speak.

"You're familiar with this area, aren't you?"

The boy nodded hesitantly. What was this now?

"Well, we're in need of a guide. We'd like to hire you."

"What?!" This from each of the other three in various levels of astonishment.

"What?" Eloinda responded, surprised. It seemed an obvious need with which the boy could help.

"Eolinda...I'm not certain this boy is something we need. He's obviously nothing more than an urchin, and no doubt a thief," Remdil whispered to her.
"Oh, Remdil, be quiet. We do need a guide, and I'm sure he's been everywhere around here."
"Has he been out of the town, though? Because if thee brigands haven't been here, we'll need someone we knows the aorrounding area."
Eolinda shrugged.

The boy had watched this exchange with annoyance, but there was never any doubt he wanted to accompany them. He didn't really know much about the area outside of Neniant, but going with them meant regular feedings and possibly even some decent clothing and shoes. He could leave the care of the little 'uns to Blind Tobey, maybe even get the woman to leave them some food. Yes, that was what he wanted. "I can do it," He started.

"Oh, good! It's decided then!" Eolinda interrupted.

"Wait! I wasn't finished," The boy continued. "Where are you going and what are you doing?" He concluded.

"We're looking for a group of brigands that kidnapped our daughter," Remdil said.

"Oh. Hmmm," the boy responded.