The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
The Hobbit down to 69% on RT, 59/100 on Metacritic

Not looking good....
This is what happens when you stretch one book into three movies.
Having LOTR be three movies was perfectly understandable as the one book was divided up into three parts to begin with. But I mean...Somehow Gone with the Wind (a 1,000 page novel) was able to be made into ONE 3 hour film...Yet The Hobbit is about 350 pages and needs 3 films which each span 3 hours?

UPDATE: Now down 68%

Last edited by TheLostPilgrim; 12-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Emperor's New Clothes????
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was reading a CNN review (not like it'll sway me I'm seeing the movie regardless), but I saw this and had a chuckle

Quote:
There's so much less at stake in the story of Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) joining Gandalph (Ian McKellen) and a band of dwarves in a raid on a dragon's mountainous lair.
I like movies. I like the LOTR trilogy as movies, not as adaptations to a book. I don't have high hopes for The Hobbit, but I always ignore RT's reviews anyway. Even when I agree with them.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
This movie is a masterpiece. It feels very much like a book adaptation, with long scenes of dialogue between characters that haven't been to vigorously cut down.
It is a very, very good movie. The acting is - with one exception - uniformly brilliant. The soundtrack is as hauntingly beautiful as one would expect. And the story goes nice and slowly, never trying to rush to the conclusion, takings its time and allowing the audience to slowly become reacquainted to the grandeur and danger of Middle Earth.

What else can I say? I adored this film, it was a marvelous experience. At no point was I bored or checking my watch, I was hooked from the beginning and never lost interest.

Let the reviewers say what they will, they are entitled to their opinions. But I maintain that this was a magnificent achievement that both hearkens back to The Lord of The Rings and at the same time maintains the more jaunty, fantastical ethos of the source material.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
Glorthelion
Haunting Spirit

Glorthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Now it is 65% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 58 on Metacritic. I respect Metacritic. I say this though: Do not listen to the critics. Critics give the film positive and negative reviews but most are comparing the film to the LOTR films and the Hobbit book. This is unfair. Critics should just judge the film, not how faithful it was to the book. I'm ok with the criticism of the 48 fps thing. You should watch the film and make your own judgement.
Oh, and it's 8.6/10 on IMDB.

Damn Gulf
Glorthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Now down to 42% on RT, good and rotten. Only four percentage points above The Phantom Menace!

I'm lovin' it.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Fang
Newly Deceased

Fang has just left Hobbiton.
Just the Facts

Best 2 week open for any Jackson Tolkien movie:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:
$189,783,000
33.7%
+ Foreign:
$373,000,000
66.3%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
= Worldwide:
$562,783,000
Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend:
$84,617,303
(#1 rank, 4,045 theaters, $20,919 average)
% of Total Gross:
44.6%
Widest Release:
4,100 theaters
In Release:
14 days / 2 weeks
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote