The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2002, 08:37 AM   #1
Schvenn Of The Schack
Pile O'Bones

Schvenn Of The Schack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Anyone else have a sister as stupid as this?

<BR>Let it first be said that I criticize my sister every step she takes.<BR>I have never met anyone who ****es me off as much as she does with her sheer stupidity at times.<BR>Let me give you an example.<BR>My nephew (her son) is a LOTR fan as well as me.<BR>Well, of course he's also a Harry Potter fan.<BR>So guess what my sister has done.<BR>She's bought the books for her two children and herself.<BR>She's reading them and had a discussion with the family the other day, of course when I was out of the room, because she knows what would happen if I had been there, that the Harry Potter books are much better quality and have a much better story line than LOTR.<BR>Normally I just ignore stupid people, but when they're part of your family, you just want to take them and slap their heads around a little bit in order to release the frustration.<BR>Can any of you relate?<BR>
Schvenn Of The Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 08:48 AM   #2
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

bah, stupid siblings!<BR>not exactly along the same lines,but my <B>STUPIDSTUPIDSTUPID</B>younger brother thought it'd be REAL funny to use my identity on the Barrowdowns chatroom and basically **** people off pretending to be me....he hasn't even READ the books, but knows I usually haunt this place....<BR>AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH! now I know how Bilbo felt about his "confounded relatives"!<P>I sympathise deeply good sir.<BR>
Old 01-01-2002, 09:01 AM   #3
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Can't you give her a brake. She has a right to her opinion. I mean I like Harry Potter. (Not as much as LotR)So what?
Old 01-01-2002, 10:11 AM   #4
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm an only child.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:44 AM   #5
Schvenn Of The Schack
Pile O'Bones

Schvenn Of The Schack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Give her a break?<BR>Ummm....no.<BR> <BR>First of all, I'm not saying Harry Potter is good, bad or otherwise.<BR>It's apples and oranges.<BR>Harry Potter is basically simple adventures aimed at entertaining children and young adults with nothing more than simple adventure and good fun in mind.<BR>Tolkien, a literary and linguistic genius, created an entire world, written language, several spoken tongues, history and stories long before anyone else had even thought about such a thing.<BR>I'm sorry, but her statement was just so ludicruous as to be beyond laugable.<BR>I just had to shake my head at her pure moronism.<BR>
Schvenn Of The Schack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

Well you've got nothing on my sister. She has no common knowledge at all. She thinks that she knows more about everything even LotR when she hasn't even read the books. some times i just want to smack the stupidity out of her. And sometimes I do but she never gets the hint....
Old 01-01-2002, 05:55 PM   #7
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Man, I'm glad you guys aren't my brothers! Sisters are wonderful gifts of heaven and should be appreciated and treated as such. Take my word for it and go buy her some Steve Maddens.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 12:46 AM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Ah, my brother is barely six years old, and I <I>can't wait</I> to introduce him to Tolkien. For now though, we read a chapter of Harry Potter each night before bedtime (except for last night, when I was God knows where). Hopefully, he will grow up with a good taste in books, and will thank me by buying me some of those Steve Maddens! Or Manolo Blahniks even!
Old 01-03-2002, 02:06 PM   #9
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
Sting

You take take out your frustrations <A HREF="http://www.madblast.com/flash_shows/frodo_potter.cfm" TARGET=_blank>here</A>
Old 01-03-2002, 04:55 PM   #10
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My sister really pi**es me off, but I love her deep down. She loved the film and when we got home she wanted to read TTT and started straight away. Ten minutes later she was bored this really annoyed me. She likes Harry Potter too, I liked HP too, but they were just adventure stories for little kids and they lack substance and they also didn't inspire me like LOTR did.
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 09:29 AM   #11
silme-ranaa
Animated Skeleton

silme-ranaa has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to silme-ranaa
Sting

oh well,lucky me<BR>my brother was the one who introduce Lord of The Rings to me!<BR>Bless him.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. unknown
silme-ranaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 01:16 PM   #12
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Ring

I have a younger brother.. and guess what? he ****es me off.. he has read Harry Potter, and said that he was going to read LotR, but then he stopped after just 15 pages and said that it was stupid and that he would never ever read it, and later on, he GOES TO SEE THE MOVIE!! aarrrggghhh.. why can't he at least decide wheter to like LotR or not, so I know if I have to convince him about LotR being the best books ever or not.. *ahem* ok, this might seem confusing.. but I'm tired.. :P<BR>I used to like Harry Potter, but since I started reading LotR again, I've changed my mind.. HP is just a story for kids.. (my apologize to those who likes him..)
Old 01-05-2002, 04:30 PM   #13
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HARRY POTTER IS JUNKLITTERATURE!! <P>Phew... got that out of me then... <P>I hate people who's read the HP-books first and later on try to read the LOTR but get's bored of it and says that it's bad (just beacuase its not a picturebook for kids as HP!!!!). Honestly, saying that is highly respectless. LOTR is the most welldone masterwork in the history instead of HP that J.K. Rowling wrote on a coffebrake or something.<BR>And I do know what I speak of. I have read HP! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2002, 03:15 AM   #14
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I guess I got lucky too, my brother told me about the books when I was in Jr High, long before the Potter books hit the market, come to think of it before many current Fantasy writers had books on the market.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 12:50 PM   #15
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read LotR AGES ago, so wasn't distracted by something "new and shiny". but I like the HP books to be honest. they're a kind of comic relief, it's nice to be able to relax with something not so dire and tragic. I get sad too easily....
Old 01-06-2002, 01:23 PM   #16
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ahhhhhh.......thank you Turambar for the game "Frodo vs. Harry", great fun. And guess what I won! <P>Anyways, I hear what you guys are saying about siblings. Good for me that mine have at least half a brain and know a thing or two about whats good and bad. But even if they didnt, I would just shake my head and say nothing(maybe I would throw in a rude comment but not much else).<P>But to mention people that havent read LOTR and then see it at the movies, it makes me laugh when they say, "Who is that/What is that" "Whats gonna happen next"?. But I get a real big laugh when they say "Oh no, poor Gandlaf, I liked that guy, its a shame that he's dead"! <P>If only they knew.....<P>
Old 01-06-2002, 04:15 PM   #17
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

all I can say is, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It is a matter of personal taste, it does not make a person stupid or less intelligent if they do not enjoy a certain type of book.. Arguing about such petty things is not worth it, because we all know Lord of the Rings is a great piece of literature.
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 09:58 PM   #18
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter coexist nicely on my bookshelf. One is a work of great depth and meaning (both artistically and socially to me), the other is an endearing children's story. Of course, for the record, I hope that the LotR movies kick Harry's butt at the box office.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:36 AM   #19
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

I was discussing the LotRmovie on a community, and then I saw the topic "funny ending off the film" and there she told us she had been on the movie and hoped for the Rings destroyal, and then it WASN'T DESTROYED in the end! So of course, me and some other people told her to first read the books, or at least check out facts.. there are THREE movies and this was the first one.. and then, guess what? She hadn't even been to the movie? Some friends of hers had just told her that the movie had a weird ending.. I almost got angry when I read that, because I don't think you shall complain about something you don't know anything about.. Back to my bro, he has started reading LotR again, so I shall stop calling him a "pushdug" soon.. and then I will just call him.. something nicer..
Old 01-13-2002, 11:54 AM   #20
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Hi! I had a cool sibling experience with the movie - I was at our Christmas family reunion and suggested seeing it together. So my two brothers, their wives and I went with four of our (grown-up) children. Anybody counting with me? That made nine of us! And all enjoyed it, though I'm the only fan (they call it freak).
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:05 PM   #21
Elendil
Haunting Spirit

Elendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Although my sister isn't a fan (she never read the book), she suggested we'd go see the movie together. Yes, she's a good girl, but too busy working, so I still haven't seen it....
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:39 PM   #22
Snowflake
Pile O'Bones

Snowflake has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Snowflake
Sting

My sister and brother would rather go see "Orange County" Than FoTR............
Old 01-14-2002, 05:36 PM   #23
northernlight
Pile O'Bones

northernlight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i'm an only child..tee hee...but most of my friends would rather go see orange county too. oh well
Old 01-14-2002, 05:43 PM   #24
Elendil
Haunting Spirit

Elendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, my sis is cool and we're going this friday, yay! AND she's buying me dinner
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:15 PM   #25
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

I have one word to describe my sister BLONDE! (No offence) She thinks she knows so much. we recently got our grade cards from school...she was estatic over her 2 D's a c and a b....oie....
Old 01-15-2002, 01:29 PM   #26
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My twin sister is actually the one who got me into the Tolkien stuff! Freshman year in high school she was Ori in a play version of The Hobbit. She read the books, and then gave them to me. But now, I think that I am more "learned" in all things Tolkien than she is. She is about to read the Sil for the first time, after my nagging her about it forever! I can't wait to see what she thinks about it!
Old 01-17-2002, 12:41 PM   #27
northernlight
Pile O'Bones

northernlight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hey zippo i know how you feel...even though i don't have to live w/a 'cheerleader,' as i call them, our school hallways are teeming with them!!! aaaah!!! and they do think they know everything...well they do if its about clothes and guys lol but they don't seem to know anything useful! <P>when school reconvened after winter break i told this one girl who asked what i did that i went to see lord of the rings...and all she could say was 'oh that really long weird movie...oh wait isn't elijah wood in it?...he's soooo cute!' so then i asked if she had heard of the books and that they were by tolkien and she said 'tol-who?? are those new books, like harry potter?' i gave up at that point...i didn't even want to hear what she did over break...probably went and got some thousand dollar manicure or something
Old 01-17-2002, 06:28 PM   #28
Nazgul

Sting

rose cotton I knoww what you mean I made the stupidust mastake by giving my old orc999 password to mordor136 and legolas33 now one of them is going around acting stupid with my old name that is why I changed it.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:14 PM   #29
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ugh my stupid sister! she was talking on the phone i overheard her this is what she said "No! im not goin to watch LOTR because its the exact same thing as Harry Potter." i was like What the hell are you talking about? <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Man, I'm glad you guys aren't my brothers! Sisters are wonderful gifts of heaven and should be appreciated and treated as such. Take my word for it and go buy her some Steve Maddens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> waht the hell were you thinking when you said this? sisters, i swear, are sent from hell to torture us! <BR>ps. im not a guy, either
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:37 PM   #30
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey! People are entitled to there own opinions! I personally try to stay away from Harry Potter in this forum because this is a site dedicated to <B>TOLKIEN</B> So long as a persons opions are not hurting anyone (ie rasism, killing, trying to take over the world...) it is O.K. At least here in Canada, people are free to think whatever they want. Give your sis a break! Has she read LOTR yet? Try and get her to. Or, if that doesn't work or she still doesn't like it and it means that much to you, simply don't talk to her about HP or LOTR.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:39 PM   #31
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wait . . . so you're mad at your sister because she talked about <I>Harry Potter</I> while you were out of the room? I don't understand why this is stupid . . .
Old 12-29-2002, 05:16 PM   #32
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
I don't mind my sister all that much...as least she's read LotR...but she calls me Gandalf now. How annoying.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:54 PM   #33
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My brothers don't really have a passion for either one. But i say that the Harry Potter Series and The Lord of the Rings trilogy are both very good. Harry Potter is definitely easier to read, but still good. Lord of the Rings is harder to read and a lot more detailed. So depending on what you're in the mood for, both books are good.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:01 PM   #34
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh, that's nothing, Schvenn. Your sister may be a bit insane, but at least she is smart enough to read the books all the way through from BEGINNING to end. <P>My sis ever since she saw the first movie has been dying for me to give her hints at what is going to happen. I won't tell her much though because I don't want to ruin the story. The thing is, she won't read the books from the beginning. She won't read them at all. <B>BUT</B> she is so dying to find out what happens, one day when she was over at our house with her boyfriend, they picked up my ROTK book which was sitting on a shelf. Her boyfriend read the last 3 pages of it to her. I think that section started with when Frodo was telling Sam he had to go to the Grey Havens. So she ruined the whole story for herself. She already knows what is going to happen in the end. She don't even care about any of the rest of it anymore. Talk about stupid. She ruined a perfectly good, no, great story because she is way to impatient. <P>Ok, I've done enough rambling on about her idiotness. Hey, at least I don't have to worry about her asking me things about the story anymore.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 11:31 PM   #35
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Am I glad I am an only child! I was really surprised many of my friends really liked LOTR, considering I am only in Grade 8. There is this friend of mine who gets really annoyed when me and other friends were talking about the books. But after she saw the first movie, she loved it and decided to read the books. Kids now a day have really nice tastes.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 11:46 PM   #36
Thulorongil
Haunting Spirit

Thulorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thulorongil
Shield

All these poor little siblings!<P>I'm with Lush: my brother's the same age, is getting in love with reading, has seen the animated The Hobbit and the non-violent parts of Fellowship (he gets scared when I play a boss on a Nintendo game...), he loves playing knights, and so on. Seems like the perfect situation to me for growing another LotR geek in the family!<P>Okay, so sometimes they drive you insane, but instead of slapping the sense into them, why not read a chapter a night of the Hobbit to these little ones! We have to have Tolkienites in the younger generations!
Old 12-30-2002, 01:33 AM   #37
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My sis is 7 and she is totally into the movies, but she doesn't really get the books so I'm gonna read them to her when she's a little bit older <BR>Although she knows quite a bit already cuz my and my mum have been trying to explain all the movies and stuff from the books etc.<BR>So I guess I'm lucky that she likes all of that!<BR>But she (unfortunately) likes HP better <BR>
Old 12-30-2002, 07:50 AM   #38
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

All of you should thank God that its just your siblings that are quite anti-LOTR. <P>While I have problem with my parents being anti-LOTR. They're not stupid but they're annoying because everytime they see me reading LOTR my dad kinda like snorts.
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 11:55 AM   #39
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

My brother doesn't even know what Lord of the Rings is !!!!!!! I speak literally!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:43 PM   #40
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

First, let me make this clear: My parents have grown six little LotR geeks by reading The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, and the Silmarillion to all of us from the moment we were born to the moment we could rad for ourselves. <P>Yet my sister showed her true stupidity today when I took her to see the Two Towers. <P>The conversation as follows took place when Haldir died:<P>My sister: They killed Legolas!<BR>Me: That was Haldir, idiot!<BR>Sister: The King of Rohan?<BR>Me: No, Haldir's from Lothlorien- remember?<BR>Sister: Oh! He's married to Galadriel, right?<BR>Me: No.<BR>Sister: Then he is the King of Rohan!<P>At this point I gave up. You probably would have too if you had just finished your popcorn and the little kid behind you was chanting: "Kill the bad cats!" My sister's stupidity was the straw that broke the camel's back.