The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2002, 07:17 PM   #41
Brimstone Goldenwing
Animated Skeleton

Brimstone Goldenwing has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well my scene isn't my favorite, is just made me jump.

In The Hobbit, when Bard killed Smaug I was so sad! I know the part when he died wasn't sad at all, in fact people they happy because he died but-I couldn't bear to imagine my poor ol Smaugy go [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] *sniff* I will miss my Smaugy and no matter how much he is forgotten, I will always remember him! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] *sniff*

Yeah you guys don't understand, but if you loved dragons and were obbsessed with them thismuch I'm sure you'd do the same.. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Telepathic powers and strength of the gods,
Gives them an advantage that beats all the odds,
Elves and orks and humans alike,
All have a fear of the dragon’s great bite,
And nobody dares to fight the great creature,
For there’s something to fear of its every little feature.
-"Dragon's Feast", part of poem by David Bankson
Brimstone Goldenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 07:54 PM   #42
Astaldotathrawen
Pile O'Bones

Location: Mordor and Lorien, through Rivendell and Hobbiton and beyond!
Astaldotathrawen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

This may sound kinda stupid, but the part that just kept me thinking for a while, is this. It's when Pippin is laying beside Merry when they are captured by Orcs. I don't know. I have just always remembered that part really good. Cause Pippin is my fav. character, and picturing him being kicked around by orcs has just kinda gotten to my nerves. {If you know what I mean}.

I also like the part where Frodo and Sam leave the rest of the company. That part is just so sad seeing how good of a friendship they have that they would stick by each other when the hard times came. I always cry at that part.

Quote:
"I will take the ring, though I do not know the way"
---Frodo Baggins

"We hobbits ought to stick together, and we will. I shall go, unless they chain me up. There must be someone with intelligence in the Party."
---Peregrin "Pippen" Took

"I do not wish to stay- I would not be included in all the songs and tales only to have them say I was always left behind."
---Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck

"I wonder what sort of tale weve landed in"
---Samwise "Sam" Gamgee
Old 05-28-2002, 12:08 AM   #43
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The scenes that touched me the most would be
  • Weathertop - Frodo's Stand, yet weakness then being stabed
  • Ford of Brunien - "By Elbereth and Lùthien the Fair, ye shall have neither the Ring nor Me!"
  • Gandalf's fall
  • Galadriel's gift giving scene and Namrië
  • Boromir's Death

The Two Towers
  • Merry and Pipin with the Orcs and their escape
  • Gandalf's Return
  • Helm's Deep
  • Gimli's glitering Cave speech
  • Ents in Isenguard
  • Gandalf defeats Suarman
  • Pipin with the Palantir - "The burned hand teaches best"
  • Hobbits meeting with Faramir
  • Sam spilling about the Ring to Faramir and seeing Faramir's reaction.
  • The Journey to the Crossroads - esp the part where the sun is peaking through in the West, the the line - "They cannot conquer forever."
  • When Sam sees Gollum "pawing at Master" - yet it is really Smeagol wishing to repent.
  • Choices of Master Samwise - I cry every time I read this.

Return of the King
  • When Pippin pleadges fealty to Denethor
  • Merry pleadges himself to Theoden
  • Eowyn begs Aragorn to allow her to follow him to battle
  • Eowyn/Dernhelm takes Merry to battle
  • Eowyn and Merry slay the Witch-King
  • Houses of Healing - after Aragorn has come. Esp the scene with Eowyn and Eomer.
  • Gandalf and the Mouth of Sauron
  • Pippin in battle - thinks he's dead
  • Sam's song in the Tower
  • Sam rescuing Frodo
  • Aragorn crowned King/mercy toward Beregrond
  • Aragorn and Arwen's Marriage.
  • Frodo's pity for Wormtounge and Saurman (Sharkey).
  • Frodo and Biblo leaving the Grey Havens.

Did I cover the whole book???? I think I did! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: Joy ]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 06:27 AM   #44
Shadow of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Shadow of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The bit where Gandalf and the Balrog are pursuing each other under Moria, and then finally burst out on to the peak of the mountain...
How tolkein describes it is simply terrifying
"a thing of slime"
"dark thing...older than sauron"
it seems almost surreal, too large to be true. It's a little bit like Odyseuses journey into the land of the dead or Dante's passage through Hell - this dark, terrifying place, filled with enormous, shapeless, nameless creatures
Terrifying.
Old 06-29-2002, 11:11 AM   #45
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

When the Hobbits were gathered around Tom Bombadil as he told them stories. When Aragorn was reminiscing about Arwen in Lórien. When "Rohan had come at last" (I was reading this late at night, by myself in a dark house, and my heart did leaps and cartwheels). I could go on and on and on, and waste a whole lot of bandwidth.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:33 PM   #46
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Silmaril

Well, there are only two books that have really properly made me cry. The first was His Dark Materials Trilogy, and obviously the second was LotR. I cried the most at the Grey Havens, I also cried when Gandalf fell in Moria, and at the end of the chapter The Black Gate Opens in RotK. *sniff* i just reread it, and i feel like i'm going to cry...

On a happier note, I also liked the bits with the Ents, Tom Bombadil, and Rivendell, and Lothlorien, because it all seemed so pretty and i could completely imagine it in my mind.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:58 PM   #47
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

HELM'S DEEP BABY!!! that was awsome. just plain awsome.
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
NazgulNumber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 07:50 PM   #48
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

The scene that stuck with me was when Sam attacked Shelob to save Frodo and then thinking he is dead and taking the ring to destroy himself. That scene really showed Sam's bravery and I cannot forget that. That scene remains why Sam is my fav character.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:56 AM   #49
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The bit I liked the best was when Frodo and Sam met up with Merry and Pippin again at the end! I was so happy for them all to be reunited once again! It just seemed like a really happy time!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Then again, that's just me, and I can be a bit stupid sometimes!!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2002, 06:40 PM   #50
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourite part of the book is when Frodo puts on the ring in Oradruin, this is when Sauron finally percieves what his enemies are planning and then when he realises his doom is near he send his Nazgul flying as swiftly as poosible towards Mt.Doom. I love this bit because throughout the books i kept getting this feeling that no matter what Sauron was unassailable and had no fear knowing that no one could defeat him. And then at this part tolkien made me feel the fear that had come upon Sauron.
Just Brilliant!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 02:38 PM   #51
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

All of the scenes you mentioned are my favourites too, I won't name them again.

Another of my favourite scenes, the one that I read over and over is the Saruman-Gandalf confrontation in The Voice of Saruman. It is like a battle of wits between two wise men, and it's interesting to see Saruman change tactics but still remain aloof and not give in.

Another all-time favourite is the House of Healing scenes. Have you noticed how each of the three healings have a different atmosphere? This scene makes me love Aragorn, something that was hardly acomplished by other scenes.

And I love all the scenes that present some irrelevant but beautiful details, in terms of storytelling-- for instance Frodo watching the stars before falling asleep in a tree at the borders of Lothlorien, Tom Bombadil telling about Fatty Lumpkin, the bit about the Pukel men ...
Old 02-08-2004, 04:08 AM   #52
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gee, I like to discuss, especially about what I feels about everything JRRT. So here is the scene that made the biggest impression on me: The High Seat over the world. After Frodo escaped from Boromir, still putting on the ring, he sat on the stone throne and looked all about. It gave a complete big picture about all the events that are going on at that point of time, and not just focus us on the nine walkers. Corny perhaps, but I enjoyed the struggle of will power between Sauron and Gandalf resurrected(?) with neither coming out winner, but Frodo being free to choose.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:28 AM   #53
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've got two scenes:

The first one is when the rohirrim are on the Pelennor Fields, after Theoden died, and they all ride around shouting "Death!" and just battle.
The second one is from Silmarillion, during Nirnaeth Arnoediad, when Fingon's troops draw their swords at the same time and charge.
They both give me shivers. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2004, 05:43 AM   #54
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

The entire chapter Mount Doom has it for me. Frodo and Sam, without any hope left of success or return, throw away everything that won't get them to Mount Doom, even Sam's pans. We have Frodo at the depths of his despair claiming not to remember anything. There is the climax of the quest, and there are so many great conversations.

Frodo says: "At least I know that such things happened, but I cannot see them. No taste of food, no feel of water, no sound of wind, no memory of tree or grass or flower, no image of moon or star are left to me. I am naked in the dark, Sam, and there is no veil between me and the wheel of fire. I begin to see it even with my waking eyes, and all else fades."

Then there's Gollum pleading with Sam for his life: "Don't hurt us with nassty cruel steel! Let us live, yes, live a little longer. Lost lost! We're lost. And when Precious goes we'll die, yes, die into the dust."

But the part that probably struck me closest was this one:
Quote:
'I am glad that you are here with me,' said Frodo. 'Here at the end of all things, Sam.'
'Yes, I am with you, Master,' said Sam, laying Frodo's wounded hand gently to his breast. 'And you're with me. And the journey's finished. But after after coming all that way I don't want to give up yet. It's not like me, somehow, if you understand.'
'Maybe not, Sam,' said Frodo; 'but it's like things are in the world. Hopes fail. And end comes. We have only a little time to wait now. We are lost in ruin and downfall, and there is no escape.'
'Well, Master, we could at least go further from this dangerous place here, from this Crack of Doom, if that's its name. Now couldn't we? Come, Mr. Frodo, let's go down the path at any rate!'
'Very well, Sam. If you wish to go, I'll come,' said Frodo; and they rose and went slowly down the winding road; and even as they passed towards the mountain's quaking feet, a great smoke and steam belched from the Sammath Naur, and the side of the cone was riven open, and a huge fiery vomit rolled in slow thunderous cascade down the eastern mountain-side.
Frodo and Sam could go no further. Their last strength of mind and body was swiftly ebbing. They had reached a low ashen hill piled at the Mountain's foot; but from it there was no more escape. It was an island now, not long to endure amid the torment of Orodruin. All about it the earth gaped, and from deep rifts and pits smoke and fumes leaped up. Behind them the Mountain was convulsed. Great rents opened in its side. Slow rivers of fire came down the long slopes towards them. Soon they would be engulfed. A rain of hot ash was falling.
They stood now; and Sam still holding his master's hand caressed it. He sighed. 'What a tale we have been in, Mr. Frodo, haven't we?' he said. 'I wish I could hear it told! Do you think they'll say : Now comes the story of Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom? And then everyone will hush, like we did, when in Rivendell they told us the tale of Beren One-hand and the Great Jewel. I wish I could hear it! And I wonder how it will go on after our part.'

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 02-21-2004 at 07:24 PM.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:49 AM   #55
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Well, if I was to list all of them I would fill up several pages, but the one that comes to mind is the chapters about Sam and Frodo from "The Choices of Master Samwise" to "Mount Doom". I remember sitting there just numb with shock the first time I read the book that Frodo was dead. I couldn't believe it. And the trek through Mordor was amazing, especially right at Mt. Doom. I love the sentence "I'm glad that you are with me, Sam, here at the end of all things."
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:26 PM   #56
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I agree with you there, Squatter. By the time I got to the chapter of Mount Doom, I was so wound up in the Quest and in the lives of the Fellowship that I wept bitterly while reading the passage that you so eloquently quoted. It somehow seems like an unlikely denouement to such a climactic scene. But in that unlikely denouement lies one of the most beautiful depictions of true, honest, heart-felt love that I have ever had the pleasure of reading.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #57
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Speaking of sad moments, the first time I read the book I fell for all the plot twists when a character appeared to be dead: I thought Gandalf was dead, then I was sure that Frodo was dead, by the middle of ROTK I should have known better than to fall for these ambiguities, but I still took Pippin's farewell as a final one, because I remembered Elrond being against his going, and it seemed to me he had to be proven right one way or the other. But I also my mum, who read LOTR after I did, told me she cried her eyes out when she thought Pippin had died, while keeping dry eyes all through the Grey Havens scene.
But as for me, although I got glassy eyes at a few scenes (the one Squatter quoted above being one of them) I did not weep until I read the following:
Quote:
1541: In this year, on March 1st came at last the Passing of King Elessar. It is said that the beds of Meriadoc and Peregrin were set beside the bed of the great king. Then Legolas built a grey ship in Ithilien and sailed down Anduin and so over Sea; and with him, it is said, went Gimli the Dwarf. And when that ship passed an end was come in Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring.
It was then that the bitter realization dawned on me: The book is over! I was like someone dreaming a beautiful dream and knowing that any moment now the alarm clock will ring. I swear, one of the most painful feelings I have ever experienced s coming to the end of a wonderful book. I know that you cannot really appreciate it for all that it is until you've finished it, and at a second/ third reading you discover new things and cherish the already known ones, but it cannot be compared with the feeling of amazed almost unconscious novelty when one is absorbed for the first time in a book. That 'being caught up in the heat of the events' feeling is rarely experienced a second time. It's sort of like the distinction Sartre made between living an event and recounting (re-telling) an event.
If this is slightly off topic, sorry. If not, I'd be interested how many of you share this view.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #58
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The most memorable and amazing scene in LOTR for me was The Cross-Roads. I just remember reading it for the first time, and it giving me chills. Because in the first part you have kind of an either go West or go East, dark or light. This is where I felt that Sam and Frodo had reached the last point where they had a choice, and after they left there was no going back. And then of course there is the last part of the chapter, and the image that is most memorable in my mind...

Quote:
Suddenly, caught by the level beams, Frodo saw the old king's head: it was lying rolled away by the roadside. "Look, Sam!" he cried, startled in to speech. "Look! The king has got a crown again!"
The eyes were hollow and the carven beard was broken, but about the high stern forehead there was a coronal of silver and gold. A trailing plant with flowers like small white stars had bound itself across the brows as if in reverence for the fallen king, and in the crevices of his stony hial yellow stonecrop gleamed.
"They cannot conquer for ever!" said Frodo. And then suddenly the brief glimpse was gone. The Sun dipped and vanished, and as if at the shuddering of a lamp, black night fell.
The way that Tolkien has wrote this is so amazing. The way that he mixed dark and light, sun, hope and sadness. It is just such a cool scene.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:40 PM February 08, 2004: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 02-10-2004, 10:14 PM   #59
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Personally, besides breakthroughs with Hobbits realizing just what they've been caught up in, there are plenty of moving parts.

When Gandalf shoots down Denethor's arrogance and pride, and proclaims that 'I too, am a steward . . . did you not know?' I thought it was pretty good of Gandalf to let Denethor know exactly where Gondor's place was in all of Middle Earth.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:01 AM   #60
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
The scene that made a most deep impression on me was Denethor's death. Especially the palantir part, about how no one who had not a great will to turn it to other purposes would only see a pair of hands withering in flame. It is so vivd that it makes you shudder. *shudder*

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 02-11-2004 at 10:12 PM.
Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:57 AM   #61
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
I think my problem, if such it is, is that I can't choose a favourite scene. The joy, for me, of a re-read, is that with each chapter I think, "Oh, good, I'm going to read the scene where..."

Perhaps the scene at Bree, where the hobbits first meet Aragorn. No special reason, except that I feel the adventure is about to begin!
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #62
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

For me it's the whole scene where Sam thinks Frodo has died, especially the line "Don't go where I can't follow" which still to this day is my favorite quote from the book. I love Sam and that scene is so incredibly touching, it makes you wonder when you read it, "What would I do?"
Old 02-12-2004, 01:18 AM   #63
Estel'sAngel
Newly Deceased

Estel'sAngel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estel'sAngel
Sting

The scenes that made the biggest impression? Oh gosh!! There isn't even room on this board to even start!! LOL

The contest between Gimli and Legolas in Helm's Deep. That was the humor and hope in a seemingly hopeless situation.

The choices of Master Samwise. Enough said!! LOL...that was just...OMG!! It broke my heart to read that.

The Gray Havens. I cried when I read this part. I was just sobbing!! I ran to my Mom and cried on her lap asking why! Then I listened to the radio broadcast (my mom has the tapes) and I cried at that part again!! And again in the movie! That part was just so beautifully written and yet ...bittersweet best describes it.

The part that got me in the Fellowship was Boromir. So tragic and misunderstood. So horribly flawed and yet he represented humanity to a T. So strong and yet so weak. I love Aragorn and Sam is my favorite. But Boromir...he represents humanity, strengths and weaknesses.

Sam is my favorite character. He represents the good in the world. THe love and the hope and the simplicity of everything.

I'm more of the whole character person. Although I do agree with Cinderella on the quote: "Don't go where I can't follow." Even now that makes me want to cry.

I'm going to get my tissue now! There are just too many beautiful parts. It's all beautiful. Too many made such an impression. The depths of the passion with which Tolkien wrote. How could anyone escape without an impression of at least one thing?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:49 AM   #64
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I can't remember what scene stuck out the most the first time I read LoTR, because it was too long ago. But always now, when rereading the story, the scene where Tom Bombadil puts the ring on and DOESN"T disappear, then actually makes the RING disappear always freaks me out.
After the first reading, and knowing what a "big deal" the ring is, Tom's nonchalance gives me goosebumps. The "rules" are being broken!
Old 02-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #65
Ellwyn
Animated Skeleton

Ellwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Do you mean the first time I read it? If so, it was when Faramir was 'proposing' (I put it in inverted commas because it wasn't really a proposal, was it? Meh) to Eowyn.

She thought she was in love with Aragorn and then realised that it's really with Faramir that she should be. It left kind of an impression in me. I don't call it 'settling for second best' (for one thing, I love Faramir :P) I just think they belonged together.

EDIT: I've used a hell of a lot of tenses here. Hope it isn't confusing
'Too often have I heard of duty. But am I not of the House of Eorl, a shieldmaiden and not a dry-nurse? I have waited on faltering feet long enough. Since they falter no longer, it seems, may I not now spend my life as I will?' - Éowyn
Ellwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:22 PM   #66
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Liriodendron wrote:
Quote:
I can't remember what scene stuck out the most the first time I read LoTR, because it was too long ago.
It's pretty much the same for me . . . I first read it (actually, had it read to me) when I was about six years old. The only scenes that I distinctly remember hearing for the first time (which probably means they made some kind of a subconscious impression on me) are:

Gandalf arriving in Hobbiton before the party
Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Fredegar discussing the Old Forest
Gandalf talking with Denethor
Eowyn killing the Witch-king

Why I remember these scenes in particular and not other more important ones I have no idea.

The scenes that make the biggest impression on me these days are:

The appearance of the Balrog (and the whole build-up to it)
Gandalf facing the Witch-king, interrupted by the coming of the Rohirrim
Eowyn killing the Witch-king
Frodo, Sam, and Gollum at Mount Doom
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:44 PM   #67
Dininzilielen

Silmaril

Elvisse the Blue:
Quote:
It was then that the bitter realization dawned on me: The book is over! . . . I swear, one of the most painful feelings I have ever experienced was coming to the end of a wonderful book. . . and at a second/ third reading you discover new things and cherish the already known ones, but it cannot be compared with the feeling . . . when one is absorbed for the first time in a book. That 'being caught up in the heat of the events' feeling is rarely experienced a second time.
You know, this sounds like rites of passage where we arrive at a place in which we very much want to be, then leave having been changed forever. An awareness of something lost and something gained--loss of a particular innocence, gain of a certain wisdom.

I cherish the experience of my first reading of The Hobbit and LotR--on the edge of my seat, laughing, wondering, crying, and long moments of wondering about things I didn't know the name of yet. I still recall the passages that gifted me with such experiences each time I read the books. They've all been mentioned here. But there is one passage that moves me the same now as it did the first time--it gathers the emotion and energy of my self-world awareness and quietly brings them to a small, still point that pierces me each time I read it. It's been mentioned, too, but I would like to quote the passage here in full.

Quote:
And so Gollum found them hours later, when he returned, crawling and creeping down the path out of the gloom ahead. Sam sat propped against the stone, his head dropping sideways and his breathing heavy. In his lap lay Frodo's head, drowned deep in sleep; upon his white forehead lay one of Sam's brown hands,and the other lay softly upon his master's breast. Peace was in both their faces.

Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly putting out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo's knee--but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of youth, an old starved pitiable thing.

But at that touch Frodo stirred and cried out softly in his sleep, and immediately Sam was wide awake. The first thing he saw was Gollum-- 'pawing at maser,' as he thought.

'Hey you!' he said roughly. 'What are you up to?'

'Nothing, nothing,' said Gollum softly. 'Nice Master!'

'I daresay,' said Sam. 'But where have you been to--sneaking off and sneaking back, you old villain?'

Gollum withdrew himself, and a green glint flickered under his heavy lids. Almost spider-like he looked now, crouched back on his bent limbs, with his protruding eyes. The fleeting moment had passed, beyond recall.
When you put anyone of any age in that scene who still harbors a spark of energy to struggle for light amidst relentless assaults of the dark . . .

This is just one of many instances where Tolkien mastered the elements of fantasy to exemplify the realities of life. It just doesn't get more real than in that passage.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:46 PM   #68
Elfstone
Animated Skeleton

Elfstone has just left Hobbiton.
My favorite scene is the Three Hunters chasing the Uruk-Hai across Rohan. This is where the friendship and respect they have for each other is galvanized for all time, on this most noble and hopeless mission.
Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #69
Macphisto
Pile O'Bones

Macphisto has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Macphisto
When I was about seven years old, my dad read me The Lord of the Rings. It wasn't until nearly a decade later, when I heard that there were going to be movies made out of my dad's absolute favorite books, that I decided to read them myself.

I didn't remember any of the characters except for Frodo and Gollum. Aragorn? Hah. Sam? No chance. When I picked up The Fellowship of the Ring in the summer of 2001 so I could finish the trilogy before December 19, all I could remember was the very end, when Frodo can't destroy the Ring and Gollum bites off his middle-finger, and then fell off, leaving Frodo of the Nine Fingers.

If that doesn't count as a scene that made a big impression on a little seven year old, I don't know what would.

I also agree with Eorl on The Pyre of Denethor.
Quote:
"And ever after, if any man looked into that stone, unless he had a great strength of will to turn it to other purpose, all he would see were two aged hands, withering in flame."
Okay, I don't have my book, I'm know that's not entirely correct. But I absolutely love the two aged hands withering in flame image. Gives me chills every time.

And I love Of Herbs and Steward Rabbit and The Steward and the King. Two different sides of Faramir. I can't decide which I like better: Perceptive, interrogating Faramir whose cold demeanor breaks down at the news of his brother's fate, or sensitive, romantic Faramir, being unbelieveably sweet in the Tower of the Sun. *sigh*

There's more that I like, but those are the top ones.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:32 AM   #70
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
One of the scenes that really stuck was me was Boromir, in the books and the movies, realizing what he just did to Frodo. That scene really got to me.

Also, a really beautiful scene, after the Ring is destroyed, Eowyn and Faramir are standing together, and their hair blows out behind them, golden and raven.

And Arwen's end was bittersweet, dying on the place she met her love.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:38 PM   #71
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Leyrana Silumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leyrana Silumiel
I'd have to say this is my favorite part, from the chapter "The Steward and the King":

Quote:
'What do you look for, Eowyn?' said Faramir.

'Does not the Black Gate lie yonder?' said she. 'And must he not now be come thither? It is seven days since he rode away.'

'Seven days,' said Faramir. 'But think not ill of me, if I say to you: they have brought me both a joy and a pain that I never thought to know. Joy to see you; but pain, because now the fear and doubt of this evil time are grown dark indeed. Eowyn, I would not have this world end now, or lose so soon what I have found.'

'Lose what you have found, lord?' she answered; but she looked at him gravely and her eyes were kind. 'I know not what in these days you have found that you could lose. But come, my friend, let us not speak of it! Let us not speak at all! I stand upon some dreadful brink, and it is utterly dark in the abyss before my feet, but whether there is any light behind me I cannot tell. For I cannot turn yet. I wait for some stroke of doom.'

'Yes, we wait for the stroke of doom,' said Faramir.
And then, on the next page...

Quote:
And so they stood on the walls of the City of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air. And the Shadow departed, and the Sun was unveiled, and light leaped forth; and the waters of Anduin shone like silver, and in all the houses of the City men sang for the joy that welled up in their hearts from what source they could not tell.

And before the Sun had fallen far from the noon out of the East there came a great Eagle flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope from the Lords of the West, crying:

Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor,
for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever,
and the Dark Tower is thrown down.

Sing and rejoice, ye people of the Tower of Guard,
for your watch hath not been in vain,
and the Black Gate is broken,
and your King hath passed through,
and he is victorious.

Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,
for your King shall come again,
and he shall dwell among you
all the days of your life.

And the Tree that was withered shall be renewed,
and he shall plant it in the high places,
and the City shall be blessed.

Sing all ye people!

And the people sang in all the ways of the City.
Those are just a couple of my favorites of all the scenes that made the biggest impressions. Several of my others have already been mentioned (like when Eomer found Eowyn on the battlefield and became furious, so he attacked the enemy with all he was worth).
Leyrana Silumiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:51 PM   #72
Nirvana II
Wight

Nirvana II has just left Hobbiton.
probably the destruction of the Ring.....i dunno...just seemed cool.....and Gollum perished..........and frodo lost a finger........and Sam got back his master.......

Nirvana II

Вы - пончик желе!

Я оказался снова.

Частное сообщение меня, если Вы понимаете.
Nirvana II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 01:08 PM   #73
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Shield

I have several scenes that I think about a lot, and always remind me of the whole meaning of the books, life, and why friendship is the best thing anyone can have.

#1- when Sam thinks Frodo is dead. I cried while I was reading it, and felt that the movie did a good job of protraying the emotions of Sam. This scene had the most emotional response for me.

#2 & #3 tied- When Sam attacks Shelob. That was another powerful example of Frodo and Sam's powerful friendship. When Aragorn leaves Arwen ties with that scene too. Everyone hopes for that kind of intense love (well at least I do), and I think its probably the most beautiful scene in the movie version.

#4 Is definitely the treck through Moria and the climatic ending. I love where Sam is fighting with his pots! And I love how the whole fellowship kicks into high gear when they think Frodo's been mortaly injured. Gandalf's fall is really, really powerful too.

#5 & #6 tied too- I really enjoyed Tom Bombadillo. The part that had me scratchng my head is how the ring had no effect on him. It was a really cool clue as to how and why the ring worked. Also, my probable two favorite foils in ANY book I've read so far, is Gimli and Legolas's first meeting at the Counci of Elrond. Classic scene I think.

Honorable mention- When Aragorn throws Gimli across the chasm to fight for Gondor. Very cool attention to detail there. Average authors would have overlooked the dwarf's inability to jump that far!

And special award for scene just in the movie *drumroll please* is the scene just before the fight for Gondor where Gimli can't see over the wall!! Hilarious. Would quote the movie if I was sure I could convey the feeling.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:03 PM   #74
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think the best scene I remember is the Battle of Pelennor Fields. The fact that the fighting seems hopeless twice, and out of nowhere comes a saving force(first the Rohirrim, then Aragorn in the Corsairs). That battle justs seems to stick with me and gives an excellant example of Tolkiens talent.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:40 PM   #75
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I always find it moving when Bilbo leaves Bag End for Rivendell. Knowing that Hobbits are homely creatures and that few would even contemplate such a thing makes this very sad to me. Throughout the book when any of the Hobbits yearns for The Shire I feel that sense of sadness and loss. To top this they return and they find The Shire almost in ruins, with trees cut down.

Theoden's death is memorable for it's nobility, and Boromir's for the sense of waste.

I also love the parts where an unearthly ancient history cuts in, such as the Barrow Wights, the Old Forest, Fangorn and the Paths of the Dead.
Lalwendë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #76
Anarion
Animated Skeleton

Anarion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Elves and Hobbits

Beautiful part at the end where the Hobbits, on their way to the ship, meet the Elves coming through the woods at night under the Moon with the Elves singing. That's worth reading the entire Trilogy for, all by itself, to me.
Anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:40 AM   #77
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

When the Black Gate opens and the Mouth of Sauron appears, he's only in a few pages but I felt that he had such a huge impact and made the choice to fight in spite of certain death so much more meaningful.
Gothbogg the Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:18 AM   #78
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

It was when Boromir had his mad spell and scared Frodo into leaving the Fellowship.

From a reader's standpoint, I could tell it was only going to be a momentary thing. Tolkien described the look on his face as a 'spasm'. Those usually don't last long.

Men of Gondor were true to their word. It was like watching two friends go at it, I knew it was some weird madness coming over him, and that it would pass. But Frodo certainly didn't.

Then, I opened Book 3 and the first page had "The Departure of Boromir" written on it. Unsure as to whether he was just heading to Gondor or not, I read on, and WHAM! My favorite character got arrowed to death by a band of Orcs.

It took a lot of re-reading of those scenes to fully take in exactly what happened during that frantic mess on Amon Hen.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:07 AM   #79
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
In rode the Lord of the Nazgul. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgul, under the archway that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face.
All save one. There waiting, silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax: Shadowfax who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror, unmoving, steadfast as a graven image in Rath Dinen.
"You cannot enter here," said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. "Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!"
The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.
"Old fool!" he said. "Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!" And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry and war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.
And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.
I'm surprised only one person said this scene. It's really great how Tolkien ends with the last two paragraphs. It somehow seems to darken and intensify the mood. I was really disappointed that PJ cut this scene. Apparently, it's going to be in the EE, but changed so that Gandalf and the Witch King actually fight and Gandalf loses, until the Rohirrim come and distract the Witch King allowing G. to escape. Why does PJ have to cut all these good scenes?
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #80
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The "In rode the Lord of the Nazgul . . ." scene is probably my favorite (the only close competition it has is the Bridge of Khazad-dum). Of all the mistakes Peter Jackson made (and he made a lot), I think removing that scene was the worst.

Last edited by Aiwendil; 09-17-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote