The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2002, 01:19 PM   #1
Ibun_Clawarrow
Pile O'Bones

Ibun_Clawarrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Language of the Dwarves

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the language of the dwarves wasn't as fully wrought out by Tolkien as the Elven tongue was it? If you were designing the dwarvish language, what would you base it on?
Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realms of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees. Then for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight; and even as the Moon rose above the darkness in the West, Fingolfin let blow his silver trumpets and began his march into Middle Earth, and the shadows of his host went long and black before them.
Ibun_Clawarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 01:34 PM   #2
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Tolkien did that on purpose. I mean the unful Dwarven language for it is said that the Dwarves thought of that as their own secret language. And Tolkien might have left things out, as if to mean that little was known to anyboby about it (except by the Dwarves). Aule instructed them in that language after he wrought them and before Eru Iluvatar became aware of him.

I do not know what I would base the language for I haven't got any thought of it yet.

greetings, lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes the language of the dwarves is unfinshed but there are a few snippets of it in LotR and the Silmarillion. I'd suggest reading the article on it on Ardalambion.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:41 PM   #4
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Well: we probably do not know the languages because, like everyone else said, the Dwarves were very secretive, and most who were not dwarves did not know the languages. We, being Elves, Men, or Hobbits (mostly, there are a few exceptions: I have met some Dwarves on here), do not know the language because the Dwarves keep their lives, real names, and languages mostly secret, unless you are a special friend of the Dwarves.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:15 AM   #5
Sîdhrîs
Haunting Spirit

Sîdhrîs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is of course not more than my own personal impression, but dwarvish always reminds me of Maltese. I suppose that most of you have never heard this language, it's got influences of Arabian and Italian and a lot of own words. The way of speaking it is similar to the way of speaking Dwarfish as I imagine it. I don't think Tolkien based dwarvish on Maltese, but it's also got a very similar punctuation. And like dwarvish, Maltese is a closed book to foreigners... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Sîdhrîs is offline   Reply With Quote