The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-22-2003, 05:11 AM   #41
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I know this is old.. but i did search for it...

Quote:
Re: Middle-Earth references in the Modern World

Let's not forget Led Zeppelin (no, never!)--There's "Misty Mountain Hop", for one. And in "The Battle of Evermore", they mention that "the Ringwraiths ride in black", and in "Ramble On": "...in the Darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair...but Gollum and the Evil One crept up and slipped away with her..."
(Oops, I guess I'm showing my age again...)
Not at all! I was rummaging through my dad's massive vynal collection and found some Led Zepelin albums, I listened to one, (led Zepelin 4) and i was really excited, Everyone get one of them (from wherever) and have a listen youll be surprised. Wasnt it written in the time when the slogan "Frodo Lives" was huge? I think its great that Tolkien's writing can inspire (In my opinion almost the whole album) one of the most successful bands of modern times.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:13 AM   #42
Quickbeam

Sting

In Atlanta there a childrens bookstore called hobbit hall. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2003, 11:15 AM   #43
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You kids need to check out that zep and you might try yes as well.,.,. gosh that does make me feel old [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There is a resteraunt in DC named "The Hobbit Hole"
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 02:32 AM   #44
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What is old is new again?

It is amazing ot think that one man's books could inspire an entire album of one of hte greatest rock bands of all time.

Also, there is A Falcon which has nested wiht it's mate in an inner city skyscraper. It was named Frodo by readers of the courier mail.

[ 3:33 AM November 28, 2003: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 04:39 PM   #45
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Along US 101, I thing about northern Medocino County, CA., is an OK tourist's trap with a trail of Middle-Earthling displays and so forth. My daughter and I did the tour some months ago. As I kid in a car I saw the place near Cave Jct., OR. I don't recall noticing it at all times of late, but US 199 is trippy enought. But in the Calif./Oregon world where Hippies once throve, none of that is surprising.

Zepplin Rocks!

Dancing Days are here again ...

"Hobbit" is a coined word found in many dictionaries. Ironic?>

There's lots of stuff on the Web. Ya know?
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:37 PM   #46
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

In the real world is this awful story about Gandalf Cres in Paraparaumu, north of Wellington. A lot of our streets are named after New Zealand political figures, native plants, or places in the UK. I think it's a bit ridiculous to name a street after a fictional character, but I suppose it will be a lasting testament to the whackiness of the last couple of ROTK-filled months down here in Aotearoa. I can't help but feel that Tolkien Ave or Jackson St would have been better, though.

Not really in the real world:
  • New Zealand hip-hop group called Dark Tower (they suck!)
  • South Park FOTR episode (total p*ss-take, they are NOT fans!)
  • Blizzard game Diablo has Balrogs, and other creatures that look like Gollum and can turn invisible.
References to LOTR in fantasy games, movies and books go on and on, and probably deserve their own thread. I did an assignment in High School that showed how Terry Brooks' The Sword of Shannara was a thinly disguised rip-off of the LOTR tale.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:48 PM   #47
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Quote:
In the real world is this awful story about Gandalf Cres in Paraparaumu, north of Wellington.
Mr Platypus, you should get a photo and send it in to Middle-earth signs. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2004, 07:07 PM   #48
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
Today I was watching Wheel of Fortune and was quite delighted when one of the last puzzles was "Elves and Hobbits," with the puzzle category being characters. teehee.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:15 PM   #49
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
'Melodic' and 'metal' do not belong in the same sentence.
Lol... sometimes they do! You guys really should check out the Blind Guardian album, though. My signature has a sample of the lyrics.

Quote:
Wasnt it [Led Zeppelin 4] written in the time when the slogan "Frodo Lives" was huge?
Yup, I'm looking for a shirt with that on it but I can only find them online I'm looking for Led Zep album with most, if not all, of the LotR related songs. Can anyone tell me if they have a "best of" album with those songs?

Plus, the band Nightwish makes some LotR references in a couple of songs, mentioning Elbereth, Lorien, and the Grey Havens. Most of the members (maybe all, I don't remember right now) say that LotR is one of their favorite books and influences.

I got a card for my birthday that said

Quote:
Front: Birthday greetings from Gandalf!

Inside: You actually got sort of excited, didn't you? God, you're such a geek!

Back: Get a life!
and another one with an Aragornish looking guy on it, holding what could be a Palantir. But he also had a seemingly random staff, so I'm not sure if it could be considered a real-life example or not.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:53 AM   #50
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
When Tolkein was a boy he used to frequently pass a pub in his hometown called Rosie's. And in the book Rose Cotton is the bar-maid. Just thought it was neat.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:05 AM   #51
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

Quote:
'Melodic' and 'metal' do not belong in the same sentence.
What?! You did not just say that!
Some time, sit down and listen to "Orion" by Metallica (on their album Master of Puppets). It's one of the most melodic, beautiful pieces of metal music I've ever heard. Or "Hero of the Day" from Load, for that matter. Or anything by Tool.

And hey, let's not forget that, on the show Babylon 5, the homeworld of the Shadows was Kazadum.

Last edited by Lachwen; 08-03-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Lachwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #52
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Terribly sorry. That place I spoke about in my last post was actually called The Rose and Crown and it was a tavern. Terribly sorry for my mistake. I do apologize.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #53
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Don't know if this counts but the security guard where I am currently working is a dead ringer for the Bree gate keeper with the same cheery demeanour.... really brightens my arrival at work...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote