The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2003, 08:35 PM   #41
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Bravo Arwen, and Annie too! And all you hobbits... Okay, I have to ask, which hobbit do you each identify with most on this trip and why?

Also-- please remember Frodo was in not-too-bad shape BEFORE he started, since he'd been saying goodbye to all his favorite haunts for months before hand. And he didn't have school, or a job, or kids to take up most of his day; or to put it another way, the journey WAS his job. So pace yourselves; don't anybody keel over from exhaustion.

I should talk! I had to take a long nap today-- that pedometer was such a motivator, I had to take it off and get some rest! I was as sleepy as a hobbit sitting under Old Man Willow.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:24 PM   #42
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

For your walking enjoyments: The Barrow-Downs "Walk to Rivendell" progress tracker.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:29 PM   #43
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Wow, Barrow Wight! That's really cool! Thank You!
Old 03-30-2003, 02:34 AM   #44
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

Ok I just got back from speed ice-skating. I had to skate as fast as I could around the ice-ring for an hour. I believe I did well! My instructor said I went about 3-4 miles! Oh and I did have breaks! Well I think I did well! Oh I just got back from speed ice-skating just to relax for an hour, I have to go back to the ice-ring to do another two hours of speed ice-skating! And I am cold….. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:27 AM   #45
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Barrow-Wight, that tracker is cool. You rock! I love the quotes section. (edit) Hey, we even have a link on the main page! Go, Rivendell Walkers!

Niluial, cold seems to be the order of the day! I spent this morning out in the rain (drenching, pouring rain) cheering for my hobbit-hiking-buddy while she accumulated distance rowing in her first regatta! (Four-seat, women's novice eight... She must have Brandybuck blood.) It was pouring so hard I was looking for Noah's ark to float by, or for a cavilcade of drenched and grumpy Erebor-questers to trot by...
Quote:
"To think it will soon be June, " grumbled Bilbo as he splashed along behind the others in a very muddy track. It was after tea-time; it was pouring with rain, and had been all day; his hood was dripping into his eyes, his cloak was full of water....
... meanwhile on the river, these rowers were all wearing spandex and cotton. No sweats?? There wasn't a rower on the water that wasn't drenched to the skin and shivering, some of them violently. I've never seen so many freezing-cold women.

(When I was in crew, we dressed sensibly on days like this-- what the heck were those coaches THINKING? How can you row at your best when you're shivering so hard at the starting line you can hardly hold your form?)
Quote:
"And I'm sure the rain has got into the dry clothes and the food bags, " thought Bilbo. "Bother burgling and everything to do with it! I wish I was at home in my nice hole by the fire with the kettle just beginning to sing!"
My hobbit-hiking-buddy was grateful for the lembas and cranberry juice I brought. But next time, I'll bring tea (or chai) in a thermos. The local coffee shop got the business this time.

Anyway-- I wonder how far she rowed today. It was probably a 2000 meter race (most sprints are.) So "there and back again", 4000 meters or so including warm-up. Gutsy hobbit-lass!

[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-30-2003, 01:23 PM   #46
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

We finally got some nice weather! It's beautiful out today and I can't wait to get out there and do some hiking! Spring break this week, I'll have to take the little elf-lets hiking. The girls love to wear their cloaks and carry their walking sticks. I'll have to make some more Lembas for the trip.

[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 03-30-2003, 01:32 PM   #47
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Count me in. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Of course giving up LotR for Lent complicates matters, but if I only see where I am on the ME map on Sundays, I'm okay. I'll just have pretend I'm on some other journey. Got to feed the cat.....
Old 03-30-2003, 01:49 PM   #48
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Ok so my legs are VERY saw! I am practising for a competition which takes place on Wednesday! I can’t wait but still it is complicated! And I had to do warm ups! So I worked it out I ice-skated 5-6 miles today, cool hey? Well at least the weather doesn’t effect ice-skating because if it is hot or cold outside it is always cold inside! Well I got to train AGAIN tomorrow! I am scared of what my coach might make me do, I might come back tomorrow saying well I’ve done 25 miles today [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I wish [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]!!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 01:53 PM   #49
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Raefindel you were right on the mark! After driving my “mile” it turned into 2! What a pleasant surprise I can walk 2 miles in ˝ hr. I feel a lot more comfortable with that.

Wow, BW now that site is a motivator! Many thanks. Here I thought I had just walked down the hill to Hobbiton and really I’m already at Bywater. This is great fun!

Friday, felt a bit like Midgewater marsh. Was glad I had a road to walk on. Yesterday was colder and rainy in the morning. I was looking out the window trying to decide how realistic I wanted to be when it stopped. Yippie! Little Puff the Orc and I struck out and did 6 miles, stopping half way for some coffee and raisin toast and celebrating with chips & popcorn when we returned. OK, I got to work on that part!

Today it has been snow flurries, and I’ve had to put off walking; hopefully I’ll get 2 miles in this evening.

Mark, thanks for the info. on the pedometer. I will have to make a run to get one, so many places “off road” to see and I feel constrained to what I can measure. Thinking about you up in cold NE. Have a cup of chia for me!

So far not identifying with any hobbit but Hilde Bracegirdle, but she’s having a blast!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 03:58 PM   #50
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great idea!! I'd love to join!
But before I commit myself to this, I have to make sure I have the right information: 1 km = 1,6 miles, right?
And so, 458 miles would be...approximately 733km? Annunfiuniel or Salix, am I right?
That's really quite a lot, but luckily the summer's coming and it'll be fun to walk! Also, I could start riding again, haven't done that for years!(That is accepted, too, right? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 03-30-2003, 04:46 PM   #51
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Welcome Schmendrick and Nurumaiel!

Oboy, metric... Quoting Hilda Bracegirdle here (counting on ya, girl) :
Quote:
1 km is equal to .62 miles
so 1.5 km x 0.62 = 0.93 miles. Just multiply by .62.
So 458 miles = 738.7 km. I guess I should add that to the first post.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:11 PM   #52
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

And now that everyone has a middle-earthish walking progress monitor, lets turn this topic towards Middle-earth (if possible) and away from everyone's personal fitness accomplishments.

(Sorry, gotta do this or I'd have to let everyone talk about non-Tolkien subjects)
Old 03-30-2003, 06:39 PM   #53
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

To keep everyone going, especially the young children, we played characters today. All tales of adventure will be spoken of from a Middle-Earth point of view. Enjoy the tale-telling. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

=========
March 30th
Four is Company

Today we walked only 2 miles. Our company was Frodo, Pippin, Merry (myself), and Aragorn. Aragorn dropped his sword on the way so we had to go back and look for it. Being that he's very young, he soon got tired so we couldn't walk as long as we would have wished. According to the BW's progress monitor, we've now reached Bywater. Unfortunately we left our maps of the Shire to Rivendell behind.

Today's walking was uneventful. We passed a few hobbits on the road, and enjoyed watching Frodo and Aragorn running from the bumblebees. It was a challenge to keep patient when Aragorn said he needed a walk every few minutes.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:16 PM   #54
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Congradulations to everyone, great job [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I am doing track right now, so I have been running and walking so much that I think I should be trying for Sam and Frodo's journey instead of Eowyn's [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hey Raefindel, you should do Bloomsday in Spokane this May! Have you done it before? It would be a great way to add to your total.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:18 PM   #55
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow, what a great new thread! Can I still join the trip, or am I too late? My computer's been down & I haven't been to the Downs for a couple of weeks. I'll be leaving Bag End with Frodo, Sam & Pippin tomorrow. Hopefully, I can make it to Bucklebury Ferry by the end of the week. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 10:59 PM   #56
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

After a fun (and cold) adventure today, my hobbit lass and I have made it past the road that goes to Waymeet. We saw many rabbits along the way, but none good enough for Sam's stew as they were all plastic. We are looking forward to tomorrow's journey, because the temperature is suppose to be on the rise.

Happy walking to all!!
Old 03-30-2003, 11:41 PM   #57
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello Schemdrick, nice to see you join this fun adventure! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
And to inform anyone pondering about these miles and kilometres: 1 mile= 1.609kms (yes, multiplying with 0.62 takes you close enough) >>458miles=736,9kms> 737km
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Yep, looks quite bad, but WE ARE GOING TO MAKE IT, no question about that! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I've reached Bywater too with my 15,5 miles and today I hope to drag my sister and cousin for a really long walk. They don't know about my plans yet... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2003, 04:53 AM   #58
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Alatáriël, hello and welcome! And happy tramping through the Shire and Lands Beyond!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:55 AM   #59
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

Location: Marching to Mordor - 590.5 miles-in the Barren Hills
LINZIELF has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] CAN I WALK AS WELL?? GREAT BIG MOUNTAINS(WELL LARGE HILLS!) HERE IN DORSET. WALKED 11 MILES YESTERDAY - GOOD START?
Old 03-31-2003, 10:14 AM   #60
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Welcome to the Downs,LINZIELF!
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Yes, do join us in our walk.

A tip for those of you who are just buying new pedometers: to measure your stride length run in the mud. It is much easier to measure your footprints that your feet.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:43 AM   #61
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Welcome, LINZIELF! Thanks for joining us on the walk. Sounds like you've got great country for it!

It was snowing this morning in Green Hill Country. I enjoyed it thoroughly! It'll be warm soon enough. I was just glad to be out. Let's see, the names of the landmarks and trails so far: Turkey Trail, Duck Bridge, Tom Trail, Fairy Ridge, Troll Hill and Troll Trail. And let's not forget the orc-pits... geugh. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2003, 03:31 PM   #62
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Thanks to Esty for this suggestion: in order to streamline things a bit and avoid a jangle of milage reports, how about at the end of the week everybody who wants to can send me their weekly tally, and I'll make an alphabetized list and post 'em.

That way we can reserve the bulk of the thread for inspirational Tolkien quotes, Hobbitty walking songs, Middle-Earthen anecdotes, elvish ponderings, Ranger's observations, and the occasional draft of good ale (Maggot's farm isn't far away, nor is Crickhollow, nor Bombadil's house, nor Bree.)

After Bree, it's a bit dry 'til the big bash awaits ar Rivendell!

Seen any Black Riders? After tracking them across The Last Bridge in the snow, we sprinted this morning after an elusive mysterious and fast-moving group of black... well... wild black turkeys. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Eh, nevermind.

But that big rock formation is DEFINITELY an old Troll hangout.

Nurumaiel, your stories are fun!

[ March 31, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 03-31-2003, 03:39 PM   #63
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would like to start. Who know whether I'll make or not but I'll be well on my way if cycling and horseriding count.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:41 PM   #64
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Good to have you, Dragoneyes, welcome! You'll definitely make me think of Pippin. And I'm sure you'll do fine!
Old 03-31-2003, 03:52 PM   #65
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thankyou Helen!

Quote:
The hobbits were of course about 60% of your height which means you should add at least 50% to the distance = 687 miles.
But then again, Hobbits are lighter overall and therefore do not have to carry as much body weight.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:41 PM   #66
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm in as a runner - as soon as I buy shoes, that is. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

UPDATE: Shoes = purchased!! However, winter has come back for another visit and it'll be a while before the outdoors are tolerable again.

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: red ]
Old 03-31-2003, 07:44 PM   #67
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

After today's grand adventure, I have made it to Frodo's first supper on the road.
Quote:
When they had walked for about three hours they rested. The night was clear, cool, starry, but smoke-like wisps of mist were creeping up the hill-sides from the streams and deep meadows. Thin-clad birches, swaying in a light wind above their heads, made a black net against the pale sky. They ate a very frugal supper (for hobbits), and then went on again.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:38 PM   #68
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Welcome, red! Happy running! And may the shoes appear quickly. Likewise, I just purchased wool hiking socks. I'm afraid that makes the both of us terribly un-hobbit-like? (I figure the wool socks substitute for the glaring lack of natural foot-fur.)

alaklondewen, that was a lovely quote. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:20 PM   #69
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My intentions were good, but it was almost dark by the time I reached home, so I wasn't able to walk outside. However, being an elf of many resources, I dug out my treadmill from all the clutter that it's been buried under, put in my FotR dvd, and walked indoors.

On the con side, there was no breeze, no fresh air or any change in scenery. On the pro side, I didn't have to worry about keeping track of the distance (the treadmill kept track) and I got to watch my favorite movie at the same time. Distance-wise, I reached Bywater (think I'll spend the night at the Dragon and have a pint or two). Time-wise, the hobbits and Aragorn reached Rivendell safely and the rest of the fellowship showed up. I just hope I can reach Rivendell before Frodo & Sam reach Mt. Doom.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:09 AM   #70
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just wanted to announce that I have now officially left the Shire [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]! I've only walked a couple of miles(very busy with my studies&part-time job), but that's a start! So, here comes my quote:

" ' Well, now we're off at last' said Frodo. They shouldered their packs and took up their sticks, and walked round the corner to the west side of Bag End. 'Good-bye* said Frodo, looking at the blank windows. He waved his hand and then turned and (following Bilbo, if he had known it) hurried after Peregrin down the garden-path. They jumped over the low place in the hedge at the bottom and took to the fields, passing into the darkness like a rustle in the grasses."

That is a very accurate quote, too, since I "crossed" a hedge (hm, not sure if one can say that? I mean: ran through the bushes... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) and walked on the fields today...
Old 04-01-2003, 05:55 AM   #71
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Alas, a heavy cold has kept me in Green Hill Country for a couple of days now. Not even in sight of an inn...*sniff*
Old 04-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #72
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Seen any Black Riders? After tracking them across The Last Bridge in the snow, we sprinted this morning after an elusive mysterious and fast-moving group of black... well... wild black turkeys. Eh, nevermind.
I saw some too, but there were many more than nine so I figure it was OK. If and when I run into the Nazgul I think my pace will pick up a bit! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #73
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What a great idea. I just signed up for the challenge even though I'm an elf and not a shieldmaiden (I'm a weight wathcers member anyway). I love to hike and this will just make it more enjoyable.

I look forward to mapping my progress to Rivendell. I plan recording just my extra walks and hikes, not my regular walking to and from work and errands.

It's great to see everyone sharing their progress. I can't wait to get started. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2003, 01:22 PM   #74
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Being the madwoman that I am, I wanted to start this off in the most hobbity way I could think of. I decided that I would do my first walk bare-footed. I stuck to the paths that I knew had the least stones on them though in the end that didn't matter because my feet were so cold. Overall I walked two miles. I won't try it again until it's warm and dry, I would start on the one day that it rained wouldn't I?
Old 04-01-2003, 01:26 PM   #75
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

dragoneyes, you fool of a Took! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

(sounds like a stunt I'd pull, just like wearing sandals in the snow all winter.)

I was playing in the stream this morning. NO, really, I was trying to get the water to drain off of the path and into the Marish where it belongs. The beaver dam is filling the path faster than it is running off.

[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 04-01-2003, 02:33 PM   #76
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

Location: Marching to Mordor - 590.5 miles-in the Barren Hills
LINZIELF has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Have waved goodbye to Hobbiton and it was raining. Walked 5 miles on treadmill at gym - few funny looks, have they never seen a hobbit with cloak and stick walking on a treadmill before?? Going to make my teen-age daughter dress as an elf and go hiking at the weekend!!
Ho!Ho!Ho! to the bottle I go To heal my heart and drown my woe. Rain may fall and wind may blow, And many miles be still to go, But under a tall tree Iwill lie, And let the clouds go sailing by.
Knowing the British weather it probably will rain and blow a lot!!
Old 04-01-2003, 02:44 PM   #77
Ranger Jewel

Sting

Hi all-

My kids were messing around finding LOTR sites and suddenly yelled, "MOM! Get IN here!" They'd found The Barrow-Downs and saw the Walk to Rivendell. They were very excited! Makes them think that Mom might not be quite so out-of-it afterall...

Anyway, I'm not at all familiar with this place, but had to register and see if you'd mind if I joined the group. I have 35 miles in as of this morning. Not to the elves yet...

Jewel
Old 04-01-2003, 03:03 PM   #78
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Ranger Jewel, welcome. Enjoy the walking and the cameraderie!

There's a FAQ (look at the righthand upper corner of the screen) and most of the forums have forum-specific guidelines that are very helpful. They usually show up at the top of the forum contents.

And welcome to the Downs!
Old 04-01-2003, 07:54 PM   #79
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Here's an "All about You" quiz, sort of like Lush would put up.

1. Which of the four hobbits (Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) do you identify with the most?
2. Why?
3. Is there another hobbit besides those four that you identify with more?
4. Where did that hobbit come from? (Fanfic? RPG? Tolkien?)
5. What's your favorite walking song?
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song?
7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it?
8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? (Walking, running, biking... etc.)
9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? (walking running etc.)
10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her?
11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why?
12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos?
13. Many of you have or will post quotes from the book about walking-- but for this quiz, pick one that stands out the most in your mind, and then tell us why you like it or what it means to you.
14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not?
What you can/cannot tolerate/enjoy about the Shire that we're leaving behind:
15. Pipes: yes or no?
16. Ale: yes or no?
17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig?
18. Living below ground: yes or no?
19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no?
20. Huge parties: yes or no?
21. What you like the least about The Shire?
22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)?
23. Where you would settle in for the winter?
24. What would your hobbittish proffession be?
25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'll post again and answer.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:12 PM   #80
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

1. Which hobbit: Frodo
2. Why? His interest in elves, his studies, and his night-ramblings and eccentricity
3. Is there another hobbit: Lindo, or Bolco... hard to decide.
4. Where did that hobbit come from? Bolco from a fanfic, Lindo from The Lonely Star RPG. Lindo is a poet/singer, Bolco goes through a mystical journey.
5. What's your favorite walking song?
6. What's your favorite Middle-Earth walking song? "The Road goes ever on and On" (but see next question.)
7. Do you sing it to a tune? Which one/where did you get it? --Waly Waly, or "The Water is Wide". It gives it a very melancholy and wistful sound which actually makes it too slow to walk to.
8. What's your primary method of getting to Rivendell? --Walking
9. Secondary method of getting to Rivendell? --None yet! But probably swimming, come warmer weather.
10. If you had a Shire-pony what would you name him or her? -- Stormy. (Dark dapple grey)
11. Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your hobbit-knapsack and why? A Tinwhistle! (Dragoneyes!) Because they are indestructible, and they sound nice, and they're easy to play. And they would also serve as an emergency signal (like Boromir's Horn, sort of.)
12. Are you travelling alone or with other Rivendell walkers, and do they have hobbit-alter-egos? --I have a walking companion three times a week. She is also most like Frodo. (She and I are long-lost twins mysteriously separated by twenty years of age. We don't know why.)
13. quotes that stands out the most in your mind: From The Council of Elrond:
Quote:
'I feel ready for anything, ' answered Frodo. 'But most of all I should like to go walking today and explore the valley. I should like to get into those pine-woods over there.' He pointed away up the far side of Rivendell to the North.
14. In hobbit-society, have you come of age yet (33) or not? --Yes.
What you can/cannot tolerate/enjoy about the Shire that we're leaving behind:
15. Pipes: yes or no? --No thanks!
16. Ale: yes or no? --No, thanks...
17. Gardens: Yes or no? If yes, would you rather walk through, or weed & dig? --Yes; but I have gotten lazy, and walk through without weeding or working.
18. Living below ground: yes or no? ---Maybe. If the windows were on the south side and REALLY big and the ventilation was excellent and there was a fireplace in every room and...
19. Dancing the Sprinkle Ring: yes or no? --you betcha.
20. Huge parties: yes or no? --No thanks. I'll dance the sprinkle-ring and then hide.
21. What you like the least about The Shire? Smoky rooms...
22. Where you would want your summer cottage (or smial)? Up by Evendim or near one of the rivers.
23. Where you would settle in for the winter?
--Maybe Tuckborough or Overhill... Or Long Cleeve.
24. What would your hobbittish proffession be? --potter.
25. This one is for Dragoneyes: Will you try walking barefoot at some point, and what is your plan for doing it safely? --Yes. I wear birkenstock sandals anyway, so I will take them off for a little bit longer each day-- that is, once it gets warm outside!