The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2002, 01:24 PM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting A critical look at the Tom B / Witch King theory

Maybe some of you have visited the Tolkien Sarcasm page. There's a section called Crackpot Theories and within this section lie a few that puzzle me a lot.

Namely, Tom Bombadil is the Witch King.

The guy who put it forward gave a lot of reasons. Examples, Tom Bombadil was never heard of until the Ringwraiths existed. Gandalf never told how his meeting with Bombadil went at the Havens (because Witch King was destroyed at Pellenor). Ring had no effect on Bombadil. Bombadil had control over Barrow Wights and Wights originally came from Angmar (or something like that)

And don't forget the old classic, they are never in the same scene at the same time!

I can't remember all of it. Anyway, the point is, I found it really interesting and couldn't think of a single way to prove Tom's innocence to this evil!

Can you?
Old 07-11-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think a have a good refutation for it. You got it from Tolkien Sarcasm page.

Quote:
The Books is for advanced discussions of Middle-earth.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:36 PM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Actually, I've read the article Eomer speaks of and it uses some fuzzy but somewhat convincing logic to support its theories. Still, discussion of this topic would be 'advanced' enough for this forum. So, if anyone has any thoughts on it, please continue.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:42 PM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
By their fruits shall ye know them.
Goldberry and Tom have grace, merriment, peace, and earthly delight. Music and song form the finest fibre of their nature. They bring contentment, joy, hope, and stout hearts to the Hobbits.

Doesn't sound like evil to me.

*dances a merry jig and laughs wholeheartedly*

Bethberry
Old 07-11-2002, 01:48 PM   #5
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok.

Quote:
Tom Bombadil was never heard of until the Ringwraiths existed.
The various people at the council of Elrond disagree.

Quote:
Gandalf never told how his meeting with Bombadil went at the Havens (because Witch King was destroyed at Pellenor).
Why would Gandalf visit a dead person? Why would Gandalf visit an evil person?

Quote:
Ring had no effect on Bombadil.
The ring had an effect on the Witch-king.

Quote:
Bombadil had control over Barrow Wights and Wights originally came from Angmar (or something like that)
I have control over my OS, my OS comes from Microsoft, I am Bill Gates!

Quote:
And don't forget the old classic, they are never in the same scene at the same time!
Nor are Frodo and Denethor.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:51 PM   #6
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well... Tom is supposed to be the eldist (older than the hills etc.) the witch king certainly is not. He was born in the second age. Also, the witch king is invisible, Tom is not. Also, the witch king is a slave to his ring (one of the nine) which in turn can be controled by the one ring, thus I doubt that the ring would have no affect on him. Also, Elrond and Gandalf had both heard of Tom (Elrond also spoke of knowing him from past ages, and also mentioned his age), so I think this theory is pretty far fetched.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 01:54 PM   #7
Orome
Wight

Orome has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orome
Sting

lets see

1)Tom is described as oldest of the old. If this is an accurate discription of him, then he could not be Angmar, cause Angmar was a "mortal man doomed to die"

2)Gandalf had no reason to tell how his meeting was, but if Bombadil was not at his house, then there would be a reason to talk about him.

3)Elrond, Gandalf, and Aragorn knew Bombadil. They also knew the Witchking. It would be insulting their inteligence to say they wouldn't know if they were the same person.

4)Ringwraiths (Angmar included) do not have physical bodies. That is why they have the cloaks. Tom has a physical body.

5)The Ringwraths have an aura of fear surrounding them. Tom does not.

If you want more reasons i can probably come up with them
Orome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 02:05 PM   #8
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Also, if Bomadil was the witch king, why didn't he take the ring while he had the chance, and end the quest, returning to his Dark Lord with Honours?

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 02:40 PM   #9
Elessar,Elfstone

Pipe

Have I missed something?When did Gandalf meet Bombadil at the Havens?If you mean when the elves passed out of ME,then Gandalf never did meet him!((You can prove me wrong if you want,I'm just confused)) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2002, 02:58 PM   #10
Angmar_the_Horrible
Pile O'Bones

Angmar_the_Horrible has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

@Orome: Why are you so sure about Ringwraith
having no bodies? It is not said clearly in
the books. The Silmarillion only says "they
became invisible", not disembodied.
I always imagined them with a body, just
invisible. They wouldn't be able to ride or
use weapons without a body and in book 3,
Tolkien mentions sinews and undead flesh...

PS: Excuse me for being a bit off-topic...
Angmar_the_Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 03:02 PM   #11
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
When did Bombadil meet Gandalf at the Havens?
He didn't. Gandalf went to Bombadil's house after the fellowship split up at the end. He went for rest and relaxation. I think what was being asked is why didn't Gandalf speak about his meeting with Tom later when Gandalf saw the hobbits at the Grey Havens, Eg. Tom sends love and kisses to the hobbits.

Of course, this whole line of reasoning is deficient. Tolkien, for example, never mentions the presence of Goldberry near the end of the LotR, while he does mention Tom. Now, both Shelob and Goldberry seem to represent powerful forces of nature. Does that mean, because Goldberry's name wasn't even mentioned by Gandalf, that she is really dead? In fact that might mean that Shelob and Goldberry were identical, since Shelob undoubtedly died of the wounds inflicted upon her, or at least was unable to hunt and died of starvation.

Indeed, you can take this one step further. It is quite clear that Frodo and even Sam find Goldberry quite charming. It is also true that a number of mutton-headed critics have interpreted the fight with Shelob in strictly sexual terms. Frodo was unable to finish the "job" and had to rely on his friend Sam to plunge in the sword.
So, obviously the two characters must be the same, since they were both attractive to the young hobbits and they were both dead.

What rubbish! It is amazing what one can do with logic which defeats all common sense. Obviously, none of this fits the spirit or tone of the tale Tolkien was telling. Sometimes I think we are too smart for our own good. Can you imgine what Tolkien might have said about this analogy? Actually, it is so farfetched, he would probably laugh rather than being upset.

sharon, the 7th age hobbbit

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 07-11-2002, 04:59 PM   #12
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hmmm this seems like Middle Earth Mayhem to me. I agree with burrahobbit about the books being for intelligent discussions. These funny ones don't belong in the serious section.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:14 PM   #13
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Question

I think the ideas behind this line of thought, which at first may seem ridiculous, could be in fact quite interesting, almost 'serious'. It doesn't have to be very confusing and complicated to be in the Books section.

~*Varda Elentari*~
Old 07-11-2002, 07:53 PM   #14
Orome
Wight

Orome has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orome
Sting

Quote:
Why are you so sure about Ringwraith
having no bodies? It is not said clearly in
the books. The Silmarillion only says "they
became invisible", not disembodied.
I always imagined them with a body, just
invisible. They wouldn't be able to ride or
use weapons without a body and in book 3,
Tolkien mentions sinews and undead flesh...
It is said that the cloaks give them their form, which i took to mean that they had no visible bodies. any ways Tom is not dead and dying flesh

I do agree with Lindolirian and several others that this should not be in a serious section. This whole topic is a joke
Orome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 08:40 PM   #15
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Starbreeze's querry completely defeats the fuzzy logic used by the Tolkein Sarcasm site. Had she not posted her question I'd have posted something similiar myself.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 06:32 AM   #16
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Hey, you may think that this is not serious but I do. That question was inside my head for ages and I'm still not convinced by a lot of these arguments. As far as I can see there is no section of the Forums entitled "Discussions on ridiculous theories"

Did the Witch King not have a lot of power? Sure, he was no Dark Lord but who's to say he couldn't change form whenever he felt like it. Maybe when he changed into Tom Bombadil, he changed so completely that no thought of taking the Ring from Frodo entered his head.

And sure, Tom said that he is the Eldest but if you were the Witch King in disguise then wouldn't you lie?

I didn't really make myself clear the first time but what I meant was that the Ring had a different effect on Tom and Witch King than it did on everyone else. Neither was fooled when Frodo put on the Ring.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:47 AM   #17
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Do you think someone like Glorfindel could be fooled by the Witchking? Glorfindel had meet the witchking two times, both times victorious, and he talks about Tom being the eldest, and I doubt that he would be fooled. And where does Goldberry fit in? I don't think the witchking had any plans on marrying, not even a riverdaughter.

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: Daniel Telcontar ]
Old 07-12-2002, 06:47 AM   #18
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Question

<font color=white> The ring had different effects on Tom and the Witch King, but theyw were very different effects. The effect the ring had on the Witch-King - the WK seemed to want it for power etc. while Tom seemed untempted and uninterested in the affairs outside his little land. This is itself seems to show Tom doesn't = WK.

Can everyone stop being so skeptical about this being a stupid thread? Just because it's in the books forum doesn't mean it has to be deadly serious.

Eomer! Someone else from Scotland! I say this only because there seem to be very few scots on this site.

~*Varda Elentari*~
Old 07-12-2002, 11:41 AM   #19
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Varda, I just found out (which is pretty pathetic) that I'm Scottish too [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Apparantly, my mom's side of the family originated there, from all the way back to the Crusades.

And as for Tom Bombadil being the Witch King....I don't really have an answer as to how that could possibly be or how it couldn't be. I think Tolkien might have seen this and decided that it be left up to the reader to decide this, like the Entwives. I think everyone here has some really interesting views on this though. Although there are really good reasons on how Tom Bombadil could be the Witch King. It might seem ridiculous, but it fits!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 01:23 PM   #20
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Look people, I don't really believe that Tom Bombadil is The Witch King of Angmar.

I am just messing with ya!

Yes I am Scottish. Are most people on the Downs American? Or have I stumbled upon some obscure Surinamese website?

Anywho, to continue the debate.....why should Glorfindel et al recognise the Witch King in disguise? I mean, it's hardly a mask and a fake accent is it?
Old 07-13-2002, 04:12 PM   #21
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

First of all, if we're taking count, I'm in the "American" category.

Secondly, I was about to agree with what Burrahobbit and Starbreeze had initially said, but then I started thinking about it some more. So to play Devil's Advocate for a moment, I have 2 Fiction Theories that bear some consideration:

(1) The Superman Theory: As far as Gandalf/Elrond/et al thinking that TB and WK are different, let's not forget Lois Lane (and everyone else in Metropolis) who had close contact with both Clark Kent and Superman, yet couldn't figure out that they were one and the same. This theory also worked for other superheroes (Wonder Woman, Supergirl, etc.), so why wouldn't it work for TB and WK?

(2) The Jekyll and Hyde Theory: What if, rather than the Witch King being Tom Bombadil, it was Bombadil who was the Witch King? Perhaps Frodo was lucky that Bombadil was in his "Jekyll-state" when he tried on the Ring. That may have been why he wasn't tempted to take it and run it over to Sauron. This Theory would also account for why they were never in the same place at the same time. And may also account for Bombadil's "fatherlessness," yet the Witch King's having been "born."
Old 07-24-2002, 04:49 PM   #22
Sarin Elfarmour
Animated Skeleton

Sarin Elfarmour has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

you ppl dont seem to get the fact that the wich king was in Minas Morgul until Frodo made came to the Morgul vale