Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting The Hobbit's Gift RPG

First Post by Nurumaiel

Bilbo Baggins looked around the room at all the hobbits, all who were known to him and his adopted heir, Frodo. They all looked eager to do whatever he asked of them, but impatient at the same time, wondering if he would ever speak. Knowing his time was short, Bilbo did just what they were waiting for. He began to tell them why they were at his comfortable hole, Bag End.

"All my dear hobbits," he said, "it was most kind of you to come and listen to what is such a small request, but one that would mean a great deal to my cousin Frodo, if I guess correctly. I first must apologize for dragging you here so quickly. Most of you were quite busy, but it was necessary. You see, in two weeks time, Frodo and I will be celebrating our birthday.

"Frodo is at the Green Dragon with some of his friends now, and I had to call you while he was away, for I am planning a PARTICULARLY LARGE AND FESTIVE surprise party for him!"

All the young hobbits looked at each other excitedly, while the older nodded approvingly.

"If you will so kindly consent to help me," continued Bilbo, "then your task is simple. You must help me plan this surprise party.

First, I will need two young hobbits to help with local preparations here in Hobbiton. Samwise Gamgee and Cami Goodchild, if you two can stop with your bickering long enough to cooperate, I would like you to do that."

"Yes, Uncle Bilbo, we promise,' came the dutiful reply from the two children who were not even teeners yet.

Next, I will need older hobbits, 18 years and up, to go to the neighboring towns to procure supplies -and gifts- for Frodo's party, but you must do all this in secret."

"But what about the bandits?" one of the older hobbits asked. "There has been news that bandits have been prowling the area. Vicious enough to kill, they say."

The thought of bandits made the young ones even more excited about this 'daring adventure.'

"We have no proof that there are bandits," another older hobbit spoke up in argument. "It may be just a silly rumor."

"Whether a rumor or no, I would dearly like to do this for Frodo," said Bilbo. "Are any of you willing to risk the dangers, if there be any, to help me? If so, speak up!"

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

"I'll help! Those bandits don't scare me none. Rumor or not I'll dust off my old bow and arrows. I'll shapren up my old blade too. Be sure now Frodo won't hear a thing about it. It was Frodo you where talking about there a minute ago, weren't you?" He said now puzzled, his stomach growling.

"I was just thinking about some bread and butter while you where talking. Oh that sounds so good now." he said now, getting side tracked again.

"Yes Frodo or whoever won't know a thing!"he said, returning back to the subject.

"But I can't go alone. Who else is coming?" Looking around at the other Hobbits, he waited for someone else to speak up.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-09-2003, 06:01 PM   #3
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam broke into a huge grin at the words "surprise party." One like Hobbiton hadn't seen in years, likely--when Mr. Bilbo did something, he didn't do it halfway. And when it was for Frodo, it was sure to be extraordinary!

Quote:
"First, I will need two young hobbits to help with local preparations here in Hobbiton. Samwise Gamgee and Cami Goodchild, if you two can stop with your bickering long enough to cooperate, I would like you to do that."
"Yes, Uncle Bilbo, we promise!" Sam said in unison with Cami, both of them looking innocently at Bilbo. They gave each other a distasteful look, then grinned. Sam stuck his tongue out at Cami, who glared at him with all the dignity of a twelve-year-old being teased by an eleven-year-old. But neither of them could help laughing a little bit, and Sam was a comical sight, bouncing a little with his laughter, his tongue sticking out.

Finally, Sam regained control of himself and leaned over to Elanor Greenthumb, who was his age--not older. "You hear that, Elanor? A party!..."

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-09-2003, 10:40 PM   #4
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle heard Bilbo tell everyone how to prepare for the party.She had been at Uncle Bilbo's two days before the guests had arrived.Her parents were taking a long visit to Tookborough to see relitives,and her brothers and sisters were staying at friends and other relitives houses.She had been thrilled with the idea of getting to stay with Bilbo and Frodo,but just then she felt left out.She listened,but wasn't given a specific assighnment like the one Sam,Elanor and Cami were told,she didn't like the idea of minding them."I hate being little" she thought,"Frodo would love this"she smiled,feeling her mean streak,or "Tookishness"as many called it,hit."I should just tell him"she thought,"I should ruin it for them".

She stuck her tongue out at Cami,who was,as usual,arguing with Sam and thought,"see if I help you,hair-puller".

Cami gave her a stern look."If I didn't know you any better,I'd think your up to something""You'd better mind us and not tell Frodo"Sam added,"I know your a gossip,don't get near him or I-I'll lock you in the closet!".

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: excheeto ]
Old 01-09-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Primrose Tussock stepped forward. "I will go as well," she said. "I can't think of anything more exciting in my life at the moment than planning a surprise party for Frodo."

Bilbo nodded down at her. "Thank you, Primrose," he said. "We will most certainly need the help of you and your sturdy pony. That goes for you as well, Olo," he added.

"Excluding the pony," said Primrose with a grin. She looked over at the children and walked over to them. She'd always loved children, and since she didn't have little brother or sister, she was always trying to talk to any younger children she could find. But as she opened her mouth to speak, Bilbo called her name.

"Primrose, I want a word with you in private later," he said.

"Yes, sir," said Primrose with an inward sigh. Looking once again at the younger hobbits, she saw they were engaged in their own conversation. This time she sighed aloud as she sat down once again.

"Will anyone else help me along with Olo and Primrose?" asked Bilbo, looking around the room.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:37 AM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Biffo Proudfoot had been strolling along the bridge over The Water towards Hobbiton, smoking his pipe, when he spotted one of his many uncles ahead talking with Mad Baggins. Actually, Biffo was one of the few hobbits from Frogmorton who preferred rather to call him Bilbo, but Mad Baggins he was to most. In fact, Biffo had long been a quiet admirer of the esteemed Mr. Baggins; the tales of his adventures Outside proved there was hope yet for Biffo. After all, though tanned and weathered from working in the fields, Biffo was but 37 years old, and still had time to look into a possible career in Adventuring. Over the last few months, the hobbit had developed a strange feeling that if he didn't start soon, he might never get around to it. Yes, thought Biffo, it's definitely time to expand my horizons.

After a short chat with Bilbo, Olo Proudfoot walked off with him up towards The Hill. Biffo, although not well acquainted with the Bagginses, had talked to Bilbo once or twice before at The Floating Log in Frogmorton, and they knew each other by sight. Biffo decided to tag along after the pair, knowing well Bilbo's reputation as a source for unusual events.

A short while later, Biffo was standing amongst a motley assortment of hobbits, young and not so young, inside the parlour at Bag End. Bilbo's Hobbit-hole was certainly deserving of its excellent reputation. Biffo noticed with a grin however that, contrary to popular opinion, there was not a single solid gold footstool in sight. As it turned out, Bilbo was planning a surprise birthday party for his nephew, Frodo Baggins. He had called the group there to help him with preparations, part of which involved sending some hobbits barely into their tweens trooping off around The Shire.

"But what about the bandits?" Biffo asked, concerned, "There has been news that bandits have been prowling the area. Vicious enough to kill, they say."

This was only a rumour of course, and Biffo doubted it himself. But hobbits were curious and outgoing by nature when young, and inclined to ignore the dangers of the road. Biffo knew them well, and had always carried a short dagger concealed on him, in addition to his solid walking stick, when travelling from town to town.

"We have no proof that there are bandits," an older hobbit spoke up in argument. "It may be just a silly rumour."

This seemed to put an end to any fears. Still, thought Biffo, better safe than sorry I say! and he made up his mind then and there that he would be helping out. At any rate, after the last few weeks in the Southfarthing, his work was over and he was a free hobbit, for the meantime. When the chatter of the younger hobbits had eventually died down, Bilbo called for volunteers to help him out. Olo Proudfoot and another hobbit called Primrose had already volunteered, when Biffo stepped forward.

"I'll be glad to help out, Mr. Bilbo sir! We'll have no truck with bandits on this trip, believe me!" Biffo secretly hoped that his words would not come back to haunt him later.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:17 AM   #7
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam leaned over to Elanor Greenthumb, who was his age--not older. "You hear that, Elanor? A party!..."

Elanor grinned. "And it's going to be the best one the Shire's had in a long, long time, I bet! Frodo'll be so pleased." She beamed at the room at large. "I wonder what kind of food he likes? Or what color? Or what kind of decorations? But then, I suppose Bilbo would know, wouldn't he?" Then a frown creased over her face. "But we have to stay behind . . ."

She thought wistfully of travelling with the grown hobbits, of fighting bandits and dragons and . . . well, doing everything Uncle Bilbo had done. But nooooo she was stuck here with the bossy young hobbits- and Sam, of course. At least she had Sam, and they could talk. At least.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the bickering between the other hobbit lasses, and she sighed inwardly. I would give anything to go off with the older hobbits, she thought, Maybe I could show them just how brave Elanor Greenthumb really is, and surprise them all. Then she chided herself- But no, Sam'll need me to keep him sane among the other girls. I can't leave him. Besides, this is my part of the job- if I left I'd be letting Frodo down as well. She then thought of Frodo, whom she'd known and played with ever since she could remember.

Elanor enjoyed talking to Frodo about Mr. Bilbo's adventures and such, and as for Sam . . . Elanor enjoyed being with him just for the sake of being with him. Contrary to many of the other hobbits, he never tried to tell her what to do. In Elanor's eyes, that was a very important trait.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-10-2003, 11:54 AM   #8
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami sat back and grinned. The meeting was going just as she'd expected. Several weeks ago, Bilbo had mentioned the party to her, and how she and Sam would be needed to scurry about Hobbiton and complete the local preparations.

She ticked the list off in her head: invitations to be written and delivered, fruits and mushrooms secured from the market, Bag-end cleaned and decorated, cakes and stews and pies prepared, and who knows what else. Plus, her regular chores at home on the farm. It made Cami's head dizzy to think of all that. Bilbo had even promised for the next few weeks that she and Sam could take a holiday from learning their letters and numbers so that all the preparations would get done.

Not that Cami needed or wanted such a holiday. She could run rings around Sam in that department. Her parents complained profusely that there was barely five minutes in the day when she did not have her nose stuck in a book. They threw up their hands in consternation and shook their heads appalled. Most unusual for a healthy hobbit girl to behave in such a manner!

Still, Cami didn't care. Let her parents complain, and let the other children tease her about how she'd rather study ancient lore than tend to flowers in the garden or prissy herself up for the benefit of some boy.

She adored Bilbo. He had taken her under his wing to make sure she got an education, even sharing with her some of the stories of Elves and Valar that hardly anyone in the Shire knew. So if her teacher suggested she stand on her head for half a day, Cami would certainly oblige!

She would try as hard as she could to make the party a success and complete whatever tasks were assigned to her. Maybe next year, when she was thirteen, Bilbo would let her go out with the folk on the road to gather party supplies, since that did seem very exciting.

She'd just have to wait. As long as Sam was by her side so they could fight and make up, she'd make it through. Cami had heard that Elanor and several of the younger hobbits were also going to be drafted to help with the preparations. That thought was less appealing.

Elanor seemed like a real know-it-all, and would probably try to ruin everything. And the eight and nine year olds! That was even worse. They never stopped whining and fussing! But at least if Sam was there, he'd use his common sense to make things come out right. And, in the end, Bilbo would turn and give Cami a wink to let her know he was very proud of her.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-10-2003, 12:04 PM   #9
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

"Well now that makes three!"He said getting everyones to listen.

"But we will be needing more than three now, won't we!"All the Hobbits looking around now.

"I am sure we can find horses for those that are in need of one,can't we.But where will we find them,does anyone know where?We'll also be needing a list,so have you gotten one written yet Billbo?"Now he looked around stomach still growling and in pain.He lost his consentration for a second.

"We where all so off in a hurry to get here Billbo,do ya have anything to munch on?Iwas just in the middel of a snack when you called.Just can't seem to think straight with out somethin in my belly"The Hobbits stomach was now growling loudly.

So much talk of bandits around here.What was happening to the Shire?How where so many strangers with ill acts on there minds allowed here now?It was supposed to be a peacefull place.But that would't stop them from going on with there lives.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-10-2003, 01:15 PM   #10
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Pearl burst in the room. "Uncle Bilbo I´m terribly sorry, something kept me.. what have I missed?" She sat down on a stool and took a look around. She saw a few younger hobbits she knew distantly. What was this about? What was she supposed to do with all these kids? If Bilbo wanted her to babysitt again, the answer was no.

"My dear Pearl," Bilbo said smiling. "As I was just telling everybody, I am planning to hold a suprise party for Frodo." At the word party, her expression lightend immediatly. She loved parties, entertaining, celebrating, having a good time- it was someting she was born for. "And..." she grinned at Bilbo "What am I supposed to do? Want my professional help? " "Yes indeed. Only different than you think. I need you to go around here in the Shire for presents and supplies with Primrose, Anabel, Biffo and Olo." He nodded in the direction of two older hobbits.

"Great," Pearl thought. "Just great." Biffo and Olo were at least forty, and as for the two women...she knew Anabell fairly well and her worrying nature sometimes bugged her seriously. Primerose Tussock- a distant relative, wasn´t she? She remebered meeting her at the last family get-together last year...

Pearl shot a fairly foul look at Bilbo- what was he thinking, ruining her summer like that? She was spending the time with her best friends, after all. "Frodo, you better be gratefull." she thought."I´m sacrificing time with Caro and Vivi to help prepare your birthday. Not that I coulds resist the opportunity, but still. You better be grateful." "Ok, " she told Bilbo, "I´m doing it. She smiled at Primerose and Anabell.

"So we´ll be spending some time together, aye?".

She sounded cheerfull, but in her heart, Pearl was not really happy.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:08 PM   #11
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Annabell walked over to Bilbo as he finished talking to some of the others. "I would love to help also, but none of the children are leaving Hobbiton, right?" She put her hands on her hips.

"Even if there are no bandits, they are surely too small to do that much walking."
She sighed and looked at him "Sorry, you probably have everything figured out, I am just being cautious. But how do you plan to keep Frodo from finding out?

She smiled at the old Baggins, she did not want anything to go wrong. Not if it was for Frodo.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #12
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Crystal had just returned from a long walk through the forest. She felt free and just happy when she suddenly saw a few hobbits leaving Bag End, all seeming to be very excited and talked to each other. She wondered, especially when she heard the words "adventure", "danger" and "bandits" muttered by some of them.

Adventure? Hobbits? That was the last she expected..."I'm sure this is a silly kind of game" she thought. She'd do anything for having an adventure but she knew that most hobbits were straight against it. Adventures were for the Big Folk or all the other peoples but never a Hobbit's business! Very few ever had seen a Dwarf or even an Elf but she had.

Once she had visited some relatives in Bree with her parents when she was a little child and got lost in the rain outside, unable to find the way to the inn they spent the night in. After a terribly long time of running crying through the darkness she was found by a ranger who took her back to her parents. There she met some dwarves, dark and with long beards, they looked frightening. But the ranger had been very nice... She remembered him clearly, mainly because after she told him about loving adventures he had given her a sword...for him it was just a small dagger, but when she held it it looked more like a sword. She loved it even if she never had an opportunity to use it and probably would never have....

When she was about to pass Bag End Bilbo saw her and called "Hello Crystal, dear! How are you?"

She sighed, she had hoped that Bilbo wouldn't notice her. She didn't want to have anything to do with this silly adventure game or whatever it was they were up to...-a real adventure or no adventure at all- but it was too late.

She went back to hear what he wanted.

"I hope this stupid game won't take too long!, " she thought, yet remained silent. But when Bilbo had finished his explanations about the party and the journey through the Shire her opinion changed completely. Well, collecting presents wasn't the most exciting job ever, but still....better than nothing and much better than a game! She smiled when she agreed to join the company but inside she laughed of joy.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #13
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Pearl strolled down The Hill from Bag End. She caught some looks at the little ones, all terribly exited about what was going to come. She was considering what to do next- mybe she could have a peep in the Green Dragon, but she´d have to change, wash and refresh her make-up first... and she wasn´t in the mood for ale and party. That was so rare she worried herself a bit.

"Pearl" she said firmly to herself. "Don´t pull yourself down, ok? It´s not that bad, travelling around the Shire in summertime..." And then she had one of her rather brilliant, absoloutly Pearlish ideas.

She turned around and sped back to Bag End.
"Uncle Bilbo! It´s me, Pearl. I´ve got to ask you something." The door opened.
"Pearly- dear girl what´s the matter with you?" Bilbo smiled at her in suprise.

"Uncle Bilbo, I need to ask you something. For this suprise-thingy, do you think Caro and Vivi could come along? Please?"

Bilbo looked at her apologeticly. He didn´t even have to say something. Just the way his eyes met hers, she knew what he was going to say. And, sure enough, her request-her only chance to have some fun in the summer!- was denied.

Pearl stared at him. She couldn´t belive it. She didn´t know what to say. "But... but Uncle Bilbo... but..."

In an obvious attempt to comfort her, he patted her arm, telling her not to worry. A hobbitlass her age would be joining them.

"Who, Bilbo?", she asked, hopefully.

"Crystal Gold."

Pearl stared even more. Crystal Gold? He couldn´t be serious.

"Bilbo. Tell me you´re kidding. Not Crystal Gold, please, no."

He stared at her in suprisement. Poor old Bilbo. He didn´t understand it, did he? He really had thought she would be happy about his idea. But how could she? She and Crystal forced to be around each other for at least two weeks, that would end in a massaker!

"Oh Bilbo. Thank you for trying, but... oh whatever. You wouldn´t understand."

And off she was. She sped down, to the marketplace, where she sat down, trying to concentrate. Her realationship with Crystal Gold, a year older, was extremly difficult. It had always been. The two girls were like night and day, like fire and water. They couldn´t be in the same room without having a constant fight going on.

And yet, at the same time, Bilbo was right. They were friends. Next to Vivi, Caro and Narcissa, Pearl considered Crystal one of her closest friends. They would annoy each other constantly, just for the heck of it. They would start completly pointless discussions about anything. They would shout at each other and hit and punch and then- two minutes later- would embrace again, like nothing had happened.

Pearl grinned, she felt better. With Crystal on the road, things couldn´t get boring and maybe they wouldn´t even get bad.

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 01-10-2003, 06:28 PM   #14
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

Sting

"Uncle Bilbo!" Belle said,tugging at his sleeve. He turned around as Pearl left them. "Yes, Belladonna?"

"Frodo's been away a long time,shouldn't someone get him,or do you think he suspects something?"

He had been gone longer than usual at the inn.Belle wondered why.

"Well,I can't do anything if he finds out." she thought. "Besides,what will Sam and Miss Hair-Puller do? Oh well,the way their talking, half the Shire will know by tomorrow".

"Your right." Bilbo replied. "He has been gone a long time..."

Old 01-10-2003, 06:51 PM   #15
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"He has been gone a long time, but I'm sure he'll be home soon," said Bilbo, then he looked sternly down at the hobbit girl. "Belle, it is very rude of you to call Cami Miss Hair-Puller. What would your parents say?"

Belle looked up at him, startled, "How could you know? I was only thinking it," she said.

"Ah yes," said Bilbo. "But I've heard you say it aloud before, and now is my first chance to discipline you."

Belle blushed and looked down. Bilbo smiled gently at her and said, "Just don't do it anymore. Cami is a friend of mine, you know." Belle nodded, but Bilbo wasn't sure how long she'd remember. He turned to where Primrose was sitting quietly.

"Primrose!" he called, and the lass hurried over to him. "Prim," said Bilbo quietly. "I want to talk a few things over with you away from the others. I think you should be the leader of the group. I let you in on this little secret before any of the others, and you understand the plan better than anyone else."

"Besides the fact that I have a pony and cart," Prim added.

"Ah, of course. That reminds me of something else I had to say... Oh yes, Olo. Prim, Olo wanted to know about horses. Will you explain our plan concerning them to him?"

"Certainly, Uncle Bilbo," said Prim, using her fond name for him, though he wasn't really her uncle. She stood up on a chair and raised her hands. "Everyone!" she cried. There was immediate silence.

"There are a few things Bilbo has asked me to explain to you all," she said. "Olo asked about ponies for us all. My family has about five ponies-" there were some exclamations of surprise at this "-which they would be willing to lend to you all. I also own a cartpony, who will be useful in carrying the supplies we'll need.

"Annbell, you asked how Bilbo would keep Frodo from finding out. That will indeed be a challenge; Frodo is a very intelligent lad. It will be up to us to make our plans and get our supplies in secret. I'm sure the children, who will be staying here, will keep Frodo occupied so he has no time to snoop."

Primrose glanced back at Bilbo, and then turned once again to face the crowd of hobbits. "I believe that's all you need know for now. Our group will set out tomorrow. Remember, we have only a short time before September the 22nd!

"Oh yes, one more thing," said Primrose. "It would be very kind of you if, while we're getting supplies, you could get a gift for Frodo. And," she added in a quiet tone, "for Bilbo, as well."

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 01-10-2003, 07:00 PM   #16
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

When Crystal heard that Pearl Took would join the quest-she knew this expression sounded stupid, they were collecting presents for a party no more-she didn't know what to say.

On the one hand being together with Pearl was very funny-they could talk about anything and even if it was completely nonsense, it was never boring and if their topics to talk about ran out they still could argue. But on the other hand it was this arguing which drove Crystal really wild sometimes. There were days when you just had to mention Pearl's name and Crystal would start to complain, and then the next day the two of them were best friends. In the end she decided she was glad that Pearl would come with her since there would be very few Hobbits in her age.

As she went down the road she was so deep in her thoughts that she just bumped into something or someone. A few seconds later she recognized whom she had run into. "Crystal! What do you take me for? I tell you if you ever do that again you'll be very sorry for it, and if you're not, I'll make you! Don't you ever dare to run around without looking what's in front of you! And don't look at me like that, I'm angry!"
Crystal needed a moment to get back into reality, then she started to shout at Pearl as well.

When they had finished ruining their throat Crystal asked "So we're both going to travel with the other Hobbits to collect presents for Frodo's party?"

"Think so" Pearl answered.

"Well it'll be a fun time" said Crystal with a grin and not much voice left.

"Indeed." Pearl´s voice was even more hoarse.
A last smile and they both went on.

Old 01-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #17
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Marigold Gamgee was strolling up the path to her garden and home on Bagshot row. It had been a fine day and she’d gone out to pay with a few friends so naturally she was covered in dirt.
As she walked past Bag-End, she could hear many voices, it sounded like something important. Unable to contain her curiousity, she decided to investigate. Sneaking up as quietly as she could she peaked quickly into the window. She could see many hobbits quite a few older ones as well as a couple of younger ones. These younger ones were just about to walk out so Marigold hid behind one of the large rose bushes.

“Now remember not a single word to Frodo alright?” Marigold recognized it as her brother’s voice “Mr. Bilbo appointed us himself to do this so you’d better keep your mouths shut!”
Marigold, a little puzzled about what he was talking about, moved closer and said softly “Sam?”

He spun around looking startled. Marigold could see the other hobbits now, there was Elanor Greenthumb, Belladonna Proudfoot and Cami Goodchild. She knew Cami best, being cousins and all, she was quite a bossy girl (but then again so was Marigold) and they had been in fights lots of times.
“What do you think you’re doing! Sam shouted angrily at her.
“I could say the exact same to you!” She retorted
“It’s non o’ your business alright! So keep you’re big nose out of it!”
“Well, ‘tis now! What's this about Mr Bilbo choosing you? To do what? Tell me!” She whined.

Marigold hated to be left out of things, it happened to her a lot because she was always the youngest. Hobbits her age weren’t interested in the same things she was, they always liked to hide behind their parents and let them do the hard stuff but not Marigold. She liked to do things her way and she was incredibly stubborn.

They all looked at her with a blank expression, ‘This calls for extreme measures.’ She thought to herself.
“Fine, don’t tell me,” She said “But you know, I haven’t talked to Frodo for quite a while now, he might be interested in all this…” She stared up at them with an innocent look on her face.

Now the others looked really worried, most of them knew what had happened last time Marigold had opened her big mouth.

Knowing what they were all thinking she said, "Well, tell me what this is all about first and then I’ll promise not to spill the beans,"

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 01-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #18
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

"Now remember, not a single word to Frodo, alright? Mr. Bilbo appointed us himself to do this so you’d better keep your mouths shut!" Sam ordered, taking on an air of importance. But he was thinking: Thanks, Mr. Bilbo. Me and all these silly girls! Not a single other boy. Lucky me. Well, it didn't really matter: he'd do it for Frodo. Never said he had to enjoy it, though.

"Sam?"

Sam whirled around at the sound of his name. His eyes widened as he saw his little sister, Marigold. Great! Not only did he have Belle, and Elanor, and Cami, but now he had Marigold to worry about.

"What are you doing here?" he demanded.

She demanded right back to know what they were doing, and even went so far as to threaten to tell Frodo unless they told her what was going on. Cami didn't believe her, but Sam knew better.

"Well, tell me what this is all about first and then I’ll promise not to spill the beans," Marigold insisted.

Sam scowled, crossing his arms. Little sisters were only put on the face of Middle-earth to cause trouble, weren't they! "Marigold, come on. This isn't your business. Go home, won't you?"

"I surely won't," Marigold responded stubbornly. A Gamgee family trait, that stubbornness. She crossed her arms right back and glared at Sam.

Sam looked helplessly at Cami. "If we don't tell 'er, she'll blab that we're up to something to the entire town," he moaned. "Don't think she won't! She's done it before. Now see here, Marigold," he said sternly, "if we do tell you, and you tell a soul, don't think Cami was joking. You'll be in trouble, I can promise you!"

He turned to Cami. "Should we tell her?" he asked.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-11-2003, 02:37 PM   #19
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Olo looked around at all of the talking that had been inspired."Well now isn't this a funny sight.All this confusion over such a littel task.Shurely it won't be like this right up to the party."

"So many people just talking, not knowing hide nor hair to do.But I'll keep my calm,I won't get caught up in this running like a chicken."

"Oh but I hope I get done soon here.Hope it don't take too long its just started,and I can't wait for it to be over."He thought to himself.

"But there will be a grand party none the less, and its for Bilbo and Frodo.So I'll have to stick through."

Now the Hobbit found a stool near the window,and sat there for the time being.His dark brown pants had a new hole in the right knee from his yard work earlier.His shirt still had a butter stain on the left pocket breast.He knew he couldn't go out into town like this.But he was happy to help out,vary hungry.But happy none the less.Now reaching into his pant pocket he took out his pipe.Lit it and drew on the flaming ambers.

[I]"Ah now a good pipe can calm the nerves".He thought to himself.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-11-2003, 04:01 PM   #20
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor realized that Sam had directed his question at Cami, but she couldn't help answering herself. She touched his shoulder gently, and spoke in an undertone so only he could hear. She knew very well that this directly contradicted what Cami had just said, which was why she had said them for Sam's benefit only. If Cami ever found out, well, Elanor would be roasted meat, and on a stick, too, turning around slowly over a hot fire.

"Sam, Marigold's got to learn her lesson, and I figure that this is a good as time as any. If she tells, no serious harm will come of it, and Uncle Bilbo can give her a good talking to." She paused. "I say you give her a chance. But then, Cami probably knows better, as she's older than us, and in charge!"

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-11-2003, 05:01 PM   #21
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami crossed her arms and looked stubbornly over at Elanor, after hearing what she had to say. "I don't like this. I don't like this at all! Mister Bilbo will have our necks if anyone messes up this party. And if someone tells Frodo what's going on, Master Baggins will speak with our parents. We'll probably get some horrible punishment, or at least I will."

Cami sighed and sat for a very long time, trying to decide what was the best thing to do. She knew exactly how her mother and father would respond if Master Bilbo came to them and complained that Cami had let the secret out to the younger children and then had ruined everything for Frodo. She would end up mucking out the barn for the next six months. They might even forbid her to go to Bilbo's house any more.

That last thought was alarming. She would certainly shrivel up and die if she was told to stay away from all those nice books and stories and lovely afternoon teas. Her own family did not have as nice a smial as Bilbo, and they had just one book sitting on the shelf in the kitchen. A very boring one about farming methods that her father sometimes read. It had no pictures of Elves or dragons. Cami would surely die if she was trapped inside her own burrow with only that one book to look at.

She sighed and turned back to Sam, "Alright. Marigold wins. We let her in on the secret and she can help us with the duties as well."

Here, Cami stated directly at Marigold with a stern face. "But there's just one thing. I'm not telling Marigold anything until she does this."

"We'll all creep down to the village barrows in the middle of the night. Then Marigold will swear a solemn oath on the bones of our ancestors that she won't ever blab to anyone. And if she breaks that promise, then the ghosts can come and carry her away. That's the only way I'll trust her enough to share our secrets with her."

"We can do that tonight, if you want to. Everyone can sneak out of their houses at midnight and meet down by the graveyard." She stared around at the other children waiting for their response.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-11-2003, 05:16 PM   #22
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Quote:
"Alright. Marigold wins. We let her in on the secret and she can help us with the duties as well."
Sam almost groaned aloud when he heard Cami's words. Not only another girl, but his little sister! Elanor had said it would be a good lesson for Marigold, but Sam simply couldn't look past the fact that it was his sister. He sighed in frustration and kicked at the dirt.

He didn't he really think that Marigold would mess things up--at least, not if Cami found a sufficiently dire consequence to telling, of which he had no doubt. But he didn't want to drag his sister around--not this time. Coming from a family of six, Sam was tired of having a sibling along, either to look after or to be looked after by. He had been looking forward to being the only Gamgee this time.

Quote:
"But there's just one thing. I'm not telling Marigold anything until she does this."
Sam perked up at this next statment of Cami's, and listened closely as she detailed her plan, involving Marigold swearing a solemn oath on the bones of their ancestors. He could hardly help breaking into a grin. Trust Cami to come up with something good enough to still Marigold's tongue! When she was finished speaking, Sam nodded vigorously.

"I agree," he said, and shot a look at Marigold. "It's serious business, this, and it needs a serious oath. What do the rest of you say?"
Old 01-11-2003, 05:27 PM   #23
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor nodded her agreement.

In her heart, she dearly wanted to go with the travelling hobbits. She'd spent all her childhood dreaming about the wonderful places she'd go to and the people she'd meet, and here was a prime opportunity to fulfill all those dreams. But of course, she was still too young to go by herself.

Still, it was the least she could do to stay behind and help back in Hobbiton. Not only that, she'd made a promise to help, and so she'd have to keep her promise. She sat down on the floor, and drew her knees up to her chin, thinking, I know this is going to be fun . . . but if only I were going with Uncle Bilbo and the grown ups!!. Then, Nonsense, Elanor, you should know better! Staying at home will be lots of fun, and anyway, you don't have to worry about bandits or anything of the sort- then she began wondering which one was worse, dealing with bandits or dealing with bossy hobbit girls.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:07 PM   #24
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

That afternoon, the Green Dragon Inn at Bywater was unusually busy. The Innkeeper was madly dashing around, trying to keep all her customers happy. Two of the folk in the Inn were Frodo Baggins and his cousin Daisy Boffin. Daisy was the daughter of Dudo, who'd been the elder brother of Drogo, Frodo's father who had sadly died in a boating accident. Even though Daisy was technically a cousin, she was a full eighteen years older than Frodo so that he usually called her "Auntie".

Frodo sat across from Auntie, making pleasant conversation and smiling. Yet, all the time, at the back of his mind, he kept wondering why Bilbo had ever set up this engagement for him. Daisy had the remarkable ability to speak for hour upon hour, yet never really say anything. Frodo fidgeted nervously as he listened to the twenty-third recitation of how Bell Goodchild's big dog had escaped from the yard and gone over to dig up Mistress Boffin's flowerbeds. Still, Frodo was known for being an unusually polite hobbit lad, so he would never say anything to hurt Daisy, since she was at heart a kindly lady.

There was something else that puzzled Frodo. His aunt had always been a modest eater, never stuffing herself or being too greedy as hobbits occasionally will. But this afternoon, Daisy's appetite seemed to know no bounds. She'd just finished her third dessert and was looking around the Inn to see if she could find someone to bring her another.

"Excuse me," Frodo leaned over to attract the attention of the server. "Mistress Boffin would like a piece of that seed cake over there." He pointed in the direction of the bar where there sat a luscious looking seed cake that had just been taken out from the ovens. Its sweet aroma was wafting over the entire room.

Auntie Daisy leaned over and whispered something in Frodo's ear. Frodo blushed a bit, but spoke again to the server.

"Actually, she's so hungry that she'd like two large pieces of the cake!"

The Innkeeper arched her eyebrows, but said nothing as she firmly believed in the principle that whatever a guest wanted was alright with her.

Frodo sighed, wondering if he was ever going to get away from the Inn. Bilbo had given him a very long list of chores, and had been quite insistent that he go to the market and do every one, not omitting a single thing on the list. But Frodo was certainly not about to be rude to Daisy. So he leaned back in his chair and ordered another flagon of ale, as his Aunt slowly began working her way through her fourth dessert.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-11-2003, 09:18 PM   #25
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Pipe

Biffo had been standing near the back of the room, while the sea of hobbit voices swelled this way and that, and the chatter of the young ones rose to a flurry of birdlike noise, even when some of them thought they were whispering discretely amongst themselves. Kids thought Biffo, with a mixture of amusement and annoyance.

The hobbit's ears perked up when one of the adults, Primrose, had mentioned her family's six ponies. Although this was not a huge number, Biffo didn't know of anyone apart from a well-to-do farming family who could boast such a small army of beasts. Handy, for sure. Primrose had a certain bossy air about her the way she had called the room to attention, but Biffo could not help but be impressed at the way everyone had quitened down to listen to her talk. At least someone isn't all in a tizzy, he thought, and smiled approvingly towards his Uncle Olo, who was also keeping quiet near the back of the room.

After a little while, the hobbit children had hustled and bustled their way out of the door, and the latecomer called Pearl (who Biffo thought he had recognised from somewhere) had also dashed off. The other four older hobbits were left there with Bilbo. Biffo's stomach gently chided him that luncheon had not yet been mentioned, and the hobbit made up his mind to head back to The Green Dragon for some viddles, if once tomorrow's plans had been made these were not on offer at Bag End. It was a fair hop back to Frogmorton, too, and Biffo thought he had best arrange a bed for the night.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:40 AM   #26
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

There was so much chatter and upset going on within the room that no one noticed the solitary figure hunched over just outside the window. It looked to be a male hobbit, stylishly attired and in his late tweens. The lad's left ear was pressed tight to the outer window pane, as he strained to listen to the words exchanged inside. The sheltering arms of the myrtle bush, still thick with purple blossoms, hung down obligingly and hid him from the eyes of all who tramped in and out the main doorway at Bag-end.

A muttered growl escaped the hobbit's lips. Just look at all these folk, he mused. They're probably friends of that dreadful Bilbo. And they're sitting there and enjoying themselves in what should be my personal sitting room. It was indeed a painful sight.

As the lad pressed his ear ever tighter to the pane, he began to pick up the gist of what was being planned. A birthday party for Frodo, and, even more than that, a surprise birthday party.

Lotho Sackville-Baggins sat back on his heels and laughed with glee! This was just the kind of thing he could use to his advantage. For a minute he contemplated racing off to the steps of the Green Dragon Inn in order to disclose the secret there and then to Frodo. Then he shook his head. That was too easy. He wanted to do something that would make all these silly people squirm, and maybe teach them a lesson or two.

What great fools these hobbits were. The children were already squabbling with each other. It wouldn't take too much to encourage their nastiness, and they'd be throwing rocks at one another, unable to cooperate or help plan any party.

As for the older ones who were to set out on the road, he'd have a stronger medicine in store for them. Bandits? They were afraid of bandits? He sneered to think that the hobbits actually took that rumor seriously. His family had reliable informers in several corners of the Shire and, as far as they could tell, the talk of bandits was just a lot of hooey, probably made up by mothers who didn't want their little ones to stray too far from home.

Well, if they wanted bandits, his own mother would probably be happy to oblige. Nothing too extreme, but enough to shake up Bilbo's frends and scare them aplenty.

Lotho stuck his head out of the bush, kept a watchful eye, and waited for the coast to clear. At just the right moment, he bolted out from the garden and sprinted across the field, straight back towards his home, bearing news that Loblia would surely welcome.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:35 AM   #27
Merri
Wight

Elanor suddenly felt someone listening outside the door. She couldn't explain why she felt it, or how she knew, but she felt it nonetheless. She looked up at Uncle Bilbo, and he glanced at her curiously, as if saying, Do what you think necessary. She bolted to the door and flung it open.

No one. The grounds outside were clear- nobody in sight. So who was it she had felt? She sighed and came back in, closing the door behind her. You're much too jumpy for your own good, Elanor Greenthumb, she told herself.

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-12-2003, 12:08 PM   #28
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Bilbo stood up once again. "Frodo may be coming back any time now," he said, causing Prim to give him a puzzled look. "You had all better go for a walk together and make plans for how you will travel, what you will get for the party, and everything else you need to think over."

"Aren't you going to help us make plans and tell us what to do, Mr. Bilbo?" one hobbit from the company asked.

"I leave it entirely to your wonderful imaginations," said Bilbo. "Prim will help you, won't you, Prim?"

"Yes, of course, but, Uncle Bilbo..." Prim walked up to Bilbo and said in a quiet voice. "It's only been a few minutes. "Could Frodo be back already?"

"Of course not, Prim," said Bilbo. "But I need to find some way to get all these hobbits out of my home and on to their work."

"Oh," said Prim, smiling widely. "I understand." She turned to all the hobbits. "All right, let's all go walk along the road and discuss our plans! Come on, everyone. And if Frodo comes along the road and sees us... just pretend we're all going for a wonderful walk together, and start talking about something else, and don't giggle."

The hobbit company walked out the door, and Bilbo smiled at all the children. "Now, who would like to hear a story from Uncle Bilbo?" he asked. This suggestion was eagerly approved, and Bilbo began telling his story.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:51 PM   #29
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Olo sat quitly on his stool.He noticed Biffo sit near him.Oh now what a fool I am.He realized he had half a ham sandwich in his pocket.He took it out of the wrapper of paper.

From where he was sitting he could hear Biffos belly growling to.The people where still talking and making littel sense to him.So he called Biffo over, pointing at the sandwich.Taking out his pocket knife he cut it in half.

"Now this isn't enough to feed us both here.But it will keep us till we are all done.Want a bite,there you go now."He handed the food to Biffo.

Biffo munch on the sandwich eagerly,as did Olo.Well now arn't we all in an adventure today.He thought to himself.Wouldn't it be better if we all could make our way to the Green Dragon for a bite and a sip.

Just then he looked up as Bilbo spoke.He was in for a suprise.Maybe they could make it there just as Frodo was leaving.They could all talk while they where on there way.

"Well Biffo my boy,seems where all off to a walk now.Come join me,we'll talk about some gossip now.I got some juicy bits,and I'm sure you do to."With that the two got up and made there way out with the rest.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #30
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Shield

After the fight with Pearl Crystal went on her way home. She thought about what to pack-her sword of course, and some warm clothes. Anything else? Food? She did not know if the other hobbits already had thought about it and decided not to either. At least not yet, there was still time to bother about this question.

How long would this journey take? A week? A month? She did not know much about the distances between the villages of the shire since she had spent nearly all her live in Hobbiton, allwoing for two or three short trips to Bree together with her parents but she was sure that someone would tell her or she would find out. She trusted in her couriosity and did not think about it much longer.

When she was at home she made herself at first some milk with honey and hoped it would prevent having no voice the next day, afterwards went to her parents to tell them what she was about to do. They were not really happy about the fact that her only daughter was going to travel around in the Shire although it was said that many bandits, and among them really dangerous ones, could attack her but at the end Crystal could persuade them that it was "For Frodo, mum! Just imagine his happy face when he'll see all these presents!" and that nothing could happen to her with all these other hobbits around her and with her sword. They were still worried but they allowed her to go.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:34 PM   #31
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Auntie Daisy had finally finished eating her second piece of seed cake, and even she had no room in her stomach to cram in even one more tiny crumb. Frodo walked over to the Innkeeper and clanked out a number of silver coins on the top of the bar to pay for their luncheon. Then he went back and collected his Aunt, escorting her to the front door of the Inn.

As Daisy was about to leave and return to the comfort of her burrow, she thanked Frodo for his generosity and sternly reminded him not to forget the errands Bilbo had entrusted to him. For a moment, the lad stood still, with a puzzled expression on his face.

How strange, he mused, I swear I never mentoned that list of chores. I wonder how she knew about it. But as the afternoon sun dipped lower in the sky, he didn't give it a second thought. He had too many things to do before the peddlers in the central square took down their tables and stashed away their wared. Today was market day, and things would be particularly busy. So, off Frodo went straight towards the market at a quick, steady trot to purchase the items on his list one at a time.

Two hours later, the hobbit had finally finished. Every item requested had been purchased and packed away, to be conveyed safely back to Bilbo at Bag-end. Frodo's arms were heavily burdened with packages and several satchels were slung onto his back. I look like a pack pony! Frodo grinned impishly at this accurate description of his plight. Next time, if Bilbo gives me this much to do, I'll get Samwise or Cami to help me carry all the mess.

The short walk between Bywater and Hobbiton seemed to have lengthened considerably in the brief time he'd been away. Almost one hour later, just as the sun was sinking slowly behind the horizon, Frodo arrived at his home, panting like a work horse in from the fields. He dumped his parcels and packets all helter skelter on the entry table, and called out in a cheerful voice, "Bilbo, it's me. I'm home. Come look and see what I've bought for you."

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-12-2003, 03:52 PM   #32
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor had lingered just long enough to catch sight of Frodo coming home from his chores. She almost laughed out loud at the sight of him- he was panting heavily, his face was red as the sunset, and he was burdened with several packages. What on Middle-Earth did Bilbo send him out to buy? She wondered.

She was about to offer to help him carry his packages, but before she could open her mouth, he had passed in to Bag End, out of sight. Never let me catch you saying that there wasn't anyone to help you, Mr. Frodo. You'll find friends in unlikely places, you will, and you'd better keep your eyes open from now on. She thought, and stood by the roadside, wondering what it was she had left behind, and what she should do now.

Old 01-12-2003, 07:22 PM   #33
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Marigold was sitting down thinking about today's strange events. Mr Bilbo was telling them all a story but she really wasn't listening. At that moment she could Frodo coming back up the path, loaded with parcels and packages that Mr Bilbo ahd told him to get.

Earilier on Cami had told them her plan to stop Marigold blabbing.
Quote:
We'll all creep down to the village barrows in the middle of the night. Then Marigold will swear a solemn oath on the bones of our ancestors that she won't ever blab to anyone. And if she breaks that promise, then the ghosts can come and carry her away. That's the only way I'll trust her enough to share our secrets with her
There's been tales of the downs at night, it was definitely a creepy place and she was a little frightened at the thought of it at first but she put on a brave face and and replied "Fine, I'll be there".They're trying to scare me off!she thought to herself As if I'd pass up on this, even if I have to swear on my ancestors and risk being hunt down by ghosts. She was determined to be a part of this secret mission, whatever it was. For once she wasn't going to be left out.

Even though the fear of the village downs was still in the back of her mind, she also had a growing sense of anticipation. Whatever's going on, its got to be pretty important for them to want me to take such a strong oath She couldn't help feeling excited, she would be the youngest hobbit who knew about this and she couldn't wait.

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 01-12-2003, 09:15 PM   #34
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Belle frowned,crinkling her nose and twisting her face in a compleate pout.She couldn't believe they would try to scare someone like that! Of course,they had to tell her,she had probably heard half of it already,but if they were going to be mean to Marigold,they probably wouldn't think twice about scaring her.

True,she had agreed to the oath.She had heard rumors about the place,but had always believed rumors were something to be looked into as well.She looked over at Marigold as Bilbo told them all a story.She knew she was one of Sams sisters,and that she was about her age,but didn't know if she was nice or mean.

After thier story,she snuck past the other hobbits and hurried down the road."Marigold"she said breathly after she had caught up,"I was thinking,well, at least I'm not the only little one here,I say we outdo them or something,what do you think?don't worry about any oaths they give you,my Mother tells me not to believe in things of that sort,and I don't"

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: excheeto ]
Old 01-12-2003, 09:46 PM   #35
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Marigold. At least I'm not the only little one here, I say we outdo them or something, what do you think? don't worry about any oaths they give you,my Mother tells me not to believe in things of that sort, and I don't
"Well I don't really mind about the oath" She whispered back. "It’s the only way Cami will trust me and I really want to know what's going on"
Marigold knew Belle by sight but had never really talked to her; she was a little bit older than Marigold by a few months. She seemed nice but by the look on her face Belle hadn't liked the idea of going to the downs either.

Marigold wasn’t too sure what Belle had really meant when she said that they ought to outdo the rest of them but it sounded like fun. Maybe she means we take charge of something, organize our own little plans she thought to herself feeling rather important. Yes we could do that, when I know what this is all about. She knew that this involved Frodo somehow and that it was supposed to be secret but other than that she had no idea.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:34 AM   #36
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Pipe

Once the chatter and the inevitable pre-party excitement had died down, Bilbo tried to usher them all out of his hobbit-hole, even before tea and cakes no less! Well, how do you like that! Biffo thought to himself. Fortunately good old Uncle Olo had come prepared, and Biffo had been rewarded for his patience with half of a very decent ham sandwich.

"You had all better go for a walk together," said Bilbo, "and make plans for how you will travel, what you will get for the party, and everything else you need to think over."

The planning as it seemed was being largely left up to Primrose. It appeared that Bilbo was otherwise occupied, or didn't want Frodo to know that something was afoot. Biffo was a little disappointed that the old hobbit would not be coming along, as he had been looking forward to his stories. After a few quiet words with Bilbo, Primrose turned to all the hobbits.

"All right, let's all go walk along the road and discuss our plans. Come on, everyone! And if Frodo comes along the road and sees us - just pretend we're all going for a wonderful walk together, start talking about something else, and don't giggle!"

Bilbo saw the older hobbits (although he probably didn't use that term himself) out. Biffo, last to leave, claimed his hat from the hatstand, and picked up his walking staff from where it reclined next to the wonderful round, green door of Bag End. Halting a second before he stepped out into the lane, Biffo turned around and said to Bilbo:

"No worries, then Mr. Bilbo, sir, shouldn't take too long to get the job done. Me and Olo will put any bandits off, and Primrose will too I daresay!"

"Thank you for helping out, Biffo," the old hobbit said (he knew almost every hobbit in The Shire by name). "Oh, and by the way..." he whispered, leaning in close to Biffo with a strange gleam in his eye, "don't forget to use your head!"

Then with a laugh and a pat on the shoulder, he bid them all a last farewell, and closed the door after them. Biffo strode quickly off after the rest of the group, hoping that Primrose was leading them to The Green Dragon for supper and a talk about what tomorrow would bring.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:00 PM   #37
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

"Pearly, dahling, pass me a piece of pie, will you?" Pearl leaned over and reached for the plate of cherry pie, grabbed a piece and handed it to her best friend Vivi. They were sitting on the bench in Vivi´s front yard, streching out for the last bit of warm, wonderfull summer-sun.
"So," Vivi said, "you´ll be leving us? So soon.."

" I wish I could stay, but, you know..."

Vivi smiled. "I understand. I wouldn´t miss the chance to organize a party..."

"Vivi! Don´t talk about it! You´re not supposed to know, remember? If Bilbo finds out I told you, I´ll be toast!"

But Vivi´s eyes were looking past her, along the road that let from her house down to the market place. Pearl followed her gaze and recognized the other hobbits she would be travelling with- excluding Crystal, as she noticed with relief. She was still a bit hoarse.

"Hello", she said, smiling at the group. The others all smiled back. Primrose asked her to join them- they were apperently discussioning their journey, as the other woman´s winks told her. Pearl agreed and they walked a few paces, but then she rememberd something.

"What about Crystal?" The others looked puzzeled.

"Why didn´t you know? Crystal Gold will be joining us... shouldn´t we stop by at her place and tell her to come along? I bet she´s positivly bursting with exitement..."

She looked around and saw the others all facing Primrose, who agreed. Pearl wonderd what that was about, but said nothing.

As they walked on, Pearl observed the rest of the company. Primrose was walking up front, clearly taking the lead. Anabell came behind, being her usual (quiet) self. The two older ones were in deep conversation, mostly about food, it seemed.

For a while, she tried to think of the party and some of their preperations... they would need the best cake- Sweetdough at Michel Delving should have that-, other food supplies such as mushrooms (ask Farmer Maggot?), meat (the Hunter´s House in Bywater, perhaps), as for the presents...

Even though these thoughts were pleasant, and contained everything she liked (ale, party etc.), Pearl felt something wiggeling in her insides...
She took a deep breath. One of the things she could not stand was walking in silence. Another one was being with people she didn´t really know anything about. So, she walked up to Primrose.

"Hey", she said, smiling her most friendly smile,

"We haven´t really had a chance to know each other, have we? Well, I´m Pearl and um... you´re Primrose, right?"
She peeped into the women´s face, waiting for a response.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 01-13-2003, 05:26 PM   #38
Merri
Wight

Elanor at last remembered what she could do. Even though the announcement had been made, Bilbo still had things to do for the party, and most likely he would still need Frodo out of his way. Poor old Frodo, Elanor thought, smiling a little to herself. He'll be kicked out of the way a lot now, but it'll be worth it. And she turned her steps back towards Bag End.

Her knocks sounded very soft, and she doubted that Bilbo had heard them, but in only a few moments, he appeared, looking more than a little irritated, and asked her what she could possibly want.

"Well, Uncle Bilbo," She said, her hands in the pockets of her skirt. "I was wondering if Frodo could come over for dinner. You know my Ma's mighty fond of him, and-" catching sight of Frodo in the hallway, she leaned in towards Bilbo and whispered, "It'll keep him out of your way for a good hour or two at least, so you can tie up unfinished business."

So it was that the two hobbits set off the road together, talking and singing merrily, planning of things to come, and in her heart, Elanor smiled, thinking of the beautiful suprise that was to come for her dear friend.

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-13-2003, 05:49 PM   #39
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, known for both her decorous conduct and immpeccable taste, sat at her small writing table in her home, looking over the letter that lay before her. She carefully reviewed it one last time to make certain that it would do the job for which it was intended. She smiled surreptitiously as she finished her perusal. Indeed, this was exactly what she'd hoped for...a chance to push Bilbo's nose far into the mud, and leave him in a prostrate position from which he could never rise.

Ruining Frodo's party? That would be just half of it. The other half would be terrifying the hobbits on the road, roughing them up just enough so that their parents and kin would squeal and blame the mad hobbit Bilbo for leading them on this merry chase. Such a convenient way to ruin his reputation.

It was true that the little ones in Hobbiton could be easily handled by Lotho. What a delightful task for her son! But the big ones deserved sterner treatment for their nerve in being friends with Bilbo instead of herself as the true representative of the Baggins' clan.

She slipped the missive into an envelope and handed it to the Shire messenger standing and waiting on her doorstep. He looked down in disgust at the few meager pennies that she slipped into his open hand. I'll show her, the messenger thought, slitting open the envelope and reading over the letter:

My dearest Evelina,

It has come to my attention through certain mutual acquaintances who shall remain nameless that you have recently placed an advertisement in the Prancing Pony Inn concerning your availability for hire.

As I understand it, you have a band of good fellows who wish to go adventuring and have offered to contract themselves out for various nefarious deeds in relation to business ventures, with no questions asked. I indeed have such a business venture with which I need your assistance.

Please come meet me in my humble home at the dead of midnight tomorrow night, and I will make your trip well worth your while.

Your admiring friend,

Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
Hobbiton, The Shire

The messenger pushed the sheet back in the envelope, and resealed it as deftly as he could. He shook his head and laughed as he went about his deliveries. There was nothing new under the sun!

Old 01-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #40
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A few hours later, Evelina was interrupted from brooding over her cup of ale by a hobbit with a dirty nose bearing an equally grubby letter. He had approached her timidly, and one couldn't blame him for she was muttering quite threateningly under her breath about bad business and lack of jobs. She snatched the letter up and gave him a look so venemous he didn't dare ask for a tip! He scampered off to the bar for a whole pint to soothe his nerves.

The contents of the letter seemed to put Evelina in a better mood, however. At least she stopped glowering every time someone walked by her corner. She pulled a quill and two scraps of paper from the dark cloak slung over her shoulders and scribbled a message upon each. Evelina stood and even managed a cold smile that did not reach her black eyes. She walked to the bar and tapped the hobbit with the dirty nose on the shoulder.

"Give these to two men who should be coming in shortly. They will be dressed in black, as I am, and appear to be unarmed." The hobbit nodded wordlessly, and the lady gave him one last scathing glance before throwing a few coins to the innkeeper, and leaving through a side door.

The moon peeked out from behind wispy clouds and illuminated a small garden. A dark figure moved carefully and slipped inside a door hidden by a wysteria bush. The heady fragrance of its purple blooms filled the air and a wisp of its scent wafted into the room when dark figure entered. A light gleamed faintly and the figure followed, soft, grey slippers making no noise on the hard-wood floors. A little hobbit woman could be seen inside, tending a kettle on the fire, with her back to the door. Stupid creatures,Evelina thought contemptously. She tip-toed right behind the woman, stooped over the fire and boomed out:

"Well? You inquired about a job?"