The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies > Sequence-by-Sequence
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #41
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
There are plenty of reasons why Aragorn would be suspicious of Boromir and not play cutsie pie with him. Boromir's attitude in the Council of Elrond is full of nothing but pride and arrogance, overlaid with the game of courtly civility. Plus Boromir harbours a very deep distrust of the Elven Queen and indeed of all elves. That alone speaks to his failings as a true heir to Gondor. He's not Gondor's finest hour.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #42
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
I do admit Boromir has problems but don't we all? I side with My buddy Boromir.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #43
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
I do admit Boromir has problems but don't we all? I side with My buddy Boromir.
That's irrelevant to a discussion of fictional characters, especially because Boromir's failings had a devastating effect on the Fellowship and the plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend
I totally agree that Aragorn wasn't friendly at all towards Boromir.

I was responding to your original post that Aragorn was not friendly to Boromir. And I pointed out that there was no necessary reason for Aragorn to be friendly. This was not a time of fun and games and Boromir showed himself several times to be a possible threat to plans, so it is not a valid criticism to make of Aragorn: he had more than enough reason to be suspicious of the man from Gondor.

It creates good dramatic tension, though.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 09-07-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #44
sassyfriend
Wight

I see your point. I also like Aragorn too. Its just that I see myself as Boromir more. Loved when they talked in Lothlorien though. Boromir was able to sleep after that.
Aragorn+ Estel= Hope!!!!!! Love it!!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #45
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

sassyfriend, I'm not trying to make you like Aragorn if you don't like him. You don't have to like any character in the book. On the Downs we accept just about opinion--as long as it is backed up by discussion, argument, debate, logic, analysis. As I think Formendacil suggested on another thread, folks are interested in why you feel the way you do about Boromir and want to hear your explanation. It's when we don't give our reasoned analysis that folks will challenge our opinions. And of course when we do give our reasoned analysis, they will challenge that too, because that's sort of why we enjoy each other's company here. Discussion's the game wherein we catch the conscious of the King, Boromir, Denethor, Saruman, etc.

You've certainly brought out several of the old guard lurkers and got them to post, so good on you! And let me welcome you to the Downs too. It's good to see some vigorous threads in the sleepy old barrow.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #46
sassyfriend
Wight

Hanna le! I really do like Aragorn he is a great guy. Gotta get the books and read em again though! I think the way Boromir showed the hobbits how to use swords was a really great moment in the films and the way both Aragorn and Boromir tried to warm the hobbits up on the mountain was pretty cool too. Thought them talking in Lothlorien was a nice one too as well as Boromir's death scene. So with all reason I love em both just love Boromir more. He shows his softie side which is really nice to see in films.
I will write on here more tommrow need some sleep.