The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
OrcChieftain

Silmaril "Funeral" Spell

Just bought the Two Towers(YAY)<BR>When the newly whitened Gandalf takes Theoden to his son's grave. Then as Theoden is sobbing he says "He will find the halls of your masters" or something to that effect, and then says something in what I would assume to be a form of Elvish. Does anyone know what the words(in elvish) are, what form of elvish(Quenya, Sindarin) and what the translation is? I'm just curious....
Old 08-26-2003, 01:37 PM   #2
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Gandalf says: Westu hál. Ferðu, Théodred, Ferðu.<P>Which roughly translated is: Be-thou well. Go-thou, Théodred, go-thou. <P>Hope that answers a part of your question unfortunately I don't know what form of Elvish (if in Elvish) they are.<p>[ August 27, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 08-27-2003, 12:26 AM   #3
Calypso

Sting

Arien was right about the translation but it most certainly is not Elvish. It's English... Old English/Anglo-Saxon. Tolkien used Anglo-Saxon in the books to portray the language of the Rohirrim.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:11 AM   #4
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, that's what I was about to say, but not the bit about the Old English (or Middle maybe? Hence Middle Earth...ok, I don't know where I got that from...). I was just going to say it isn't Elvish, it's Rohirric...which for some reason reminds me when I was watching some program to do with the making of the Two Towers, the narrator was calling the Rohirrim the 'Rohans'!!!! Together with the American accent...ahh I was cracking up all the way through...
Old 08-27-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I was just about to say "Nope. It's Rohirric!" as well.<P>"The Rohans?" Ehm...that poor man needs help.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"The Rohans?" Ehm...that poor man needs help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I heartily agree!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:33 PM   #7
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I heartily agree!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>As do I. That poor, uneducated man...

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 10:45 PM   #8
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>That poor, uneducated man... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The commercials always crack me up. It always seems like they find the one man that knows nothing about Tolkien to do the commercials. Having a person like that trying to make the movies sound 'exciting' and 'dramatic' just comes off as 'sad'.
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:18 AM   #9
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you had subtitles on during the TTT DVD it tells you what language they are speaking before they actually say it.. Rohirric in the case of Gandalf's words<BR>But they arent very specific in the case of the Elvish language.. its just referred to as "Elvish" not Quenya or Sindarin or whatever
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:02 AM   #10
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The Rohans. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>This guy was obviously part of the target readership for this book here: check it out:<A HREF="http://www.wileyeurope.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0764541862.html" TARGET=_blank>Tolkien for dummies</A>
Old 09-02-2003, 06:00 AM   #11
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I must agree that it also caught my ear when watching the Two Towers last weekend.<P>But we are diverging.