The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2002, 10:29 AM   #1
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Question Do Elves sleep?

Legolas often just folded his hands and sang to himslef as rest. So What? Do they sleep with their eyes open? Or do they not sleep at all? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2002, 11:44 AM   #2
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

We elves sleep with our eyes open. I'm not exactly sure where, but in The Two Towers, it says that Legolas slept with his eyes open. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:55 AM   #3
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

it said that he rested while they were actually moving 'letting his mind wander in the strange paths of elvish dreams' or some such, i don't have it with me. That sounds like they just switch their minds to a different circuit or something.
later in the book everyone else is going to bed and legolos says that to walk in the woods/fields/something will be enough rest, perhaps nature sort of succours elves?

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 11:56 AM   #4
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The thing is, elves don't really sleep. It's more like resting. They fix their eyes on something beautiful and think about elvish things. Like in the two towers When Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are chasing after the orcs, it says that while they are running
Leoglas would rest,
Quote:
If sleep it would be called by men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams, even as he walked open-eyed in the light fo this world.- The Two Towers
So you see its not really sleeping.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:02 PM   #5
avarerniliel
Haunting Spirit

avarerniliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to avarerniliel
Sting

After reading the Two Towers this question also sprang to my mind, but I developed a different theory. I believe that elves have a brain like a dolphin when it comes to sleeping. (I hope no one takes offense to this) Dolphins don't really sleep, they kind of drift into a sub-concious state and rest, but they don't sleep. So that they don't drown. My guess is that elves do something similar-minus the water.
avarerniliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 01:47 PM   #6
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Quote:
Originally posted by avarerniliel:
<STRONG>I believe that elves have a brain like a dolphin when it comes to sleeping.</STRONG>
Cool! I'm an elf chick who sleeps like a dolphin! Can I swim too? *Nevlachiel starts to yearn for the sea. Forget crossing in a boat-I'll swim!*

Mobilis in Mobile
Old 02-23-2002, 02:19 PM   #7
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maeglin never sleeps [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2002, 02:19 PM   #8
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah...we Elves just switch the circuit. Sometimes, though, we forget to switch it back! LOL!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2002, 03:04 PM   #9
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your input. I had kinda formed my own opinions already, but wanted to hear what you all thought.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:14 PM   #10
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But...you Elves do blink every once in awhile, right? I mean, just so your eye-balls don't dry out and get stuck. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:34 PM   #11
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Yeah, I guess we'd all have eyes like Sauron after a while if we didn't blink [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2002, 10:36 AM   #12
Alchrivëwen
Haunting Spirit

Alchrivëwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alchrivëwen
Sting

*is laughing so hard tears are running down her face* well there you have it, elves don't sleep in human terms
Old 02-24-2002, 12:13 PM   #13
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

oooooops...

*looks embarrased*

just remembered I wrote a fanfic about elves, and they did sleep.. I should have to get away and correct it sometime.. if I only can find it.. oh well.. That could explain why I don't want to go to bed.. Sitting in front of my computer, watching the screen and thinking of elfish things is enough for me.. ^_^
And by the way, I think goldfishes sleep in that way as well.. or something..
Old 02-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #14
avarerniliel
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

Uh-oh, I hope all the elves out there don't start sleeping in the ocean now... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2002, 12:37 PM   #15
Gayahithwen
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

I won't, I promise you.. ^_^ To wet for me.. Besides the valar of water (whatever his name is.. I forgot) might get angry at me and let me drown..
Old 02-24-2002, 01:25 PM   #16
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ulmo likes us elves too much to let us drown(: Anyway I wish I could do that elvish sleeping thing in school, that way the teacher would think I was listening but really I was asleep. Ai, that would be heaven!!!
Old 02-24-2002, 02:36 PM   #17
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Anarya SilverBranch:
<STRONG>Anyway I wish I could do that elvish sleeping thing in school, that way the teacher would think I was listening but really I was asleep. Ai, that would be heaven!!!</STRONG>
I'm with you on that one, Anarya! I'd love to be off in La-la Land while my math teacher thinks I'm paying attention. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Old 02-24-2002, 03:27 PM   #18
Shire_Folk

Pipe

I don't know, In "The Hobbit" when the dwarves were escaping with Bilbo from the elves of mirkwood, 2 of the elves were sleeping after they knocked back some of grandpa's cough medicine.

So maybe when Elves become "entoxicated" they sleep?

[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: Shire_Folk ]
Old 02-24-2002, 04:02 PM   #19
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

1420!

Good point Shire-folk! I know I can't handle my Miruvor!
Old 02-24-2002, 05:35 PM   #20
Belsirithil
Pile O'Bones

Belsirithil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anyone can sleep with their eyes open, but Elves do so ordinarily. It probably goes vise-versa.
~-~Ehlana
Belsirithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 05:42 PM   #21
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Silmaril

I can do that sleeping with my eyes open at work. I love being on "autopilot"! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Raefindel...I am NOT giving you the secret recipie for lembas if you can't handle your miruvor! We CANNOT have those silly hobbits getting it! (See "hobbits Unite" in Novices & Newcomers)
Old 02-24-2002, 05:45 PM   #22
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Actually, I've been putting Miruvor IN the lembas. that'll put the kids to sleep! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2002, 05:49 PM   #23
avarerniliel
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

So many questions about elves sleeping, I'm glad I'm not an elf!!
Old 02-24-2002, 05:51 PM   #24
Belsirithil
Pile O'Bones

Belsirithil has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Nay, I did not mean vise-versa between the action; I meant between Elves and us. The Elves probably sleep with closed eyes sometimes.
~-~Ehlana
Belsirithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:56 PM   #25
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well, I'm an elf and I'm falling asleep, so Goodnight.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:52 PM   #26
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Hey, so what about Elf-babies? Do their parents ever get a break? I couldn't wait for my babies to go to sleep!
Old 02-25-2002, 08:53 PM   #27
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Sting

Good for you Raefindel! (putting miruvor in the lembas) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I'll bet they give miruvor to those Elven babes. But then again, we Elves are so well behaved that the infants wouldn't need anything, save maybe a nice la-la land sending spell. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2002, 12:14 AM   #28
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shire-Folk, what in the world is your pic? It looks kind of like a cross between Treebeard, an Orc and an Oliphant.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:18 AM   #29
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I know what that is! That's the Watcher in the Water! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2002, 02:19 PM   #30
Shire_Folk

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Joy:
<STRONG>Shire-Folk, what in the world is your pic? It looks kind of like a cross between Treebeard, an Orc and an Oliphant.</STRONG>

Actually my pic is the Balrog. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2002, 10:17 AM   #31
Gayahithwen
Wight

Sting

Just remembered that elves doesn't sleep.. So thats why I dun wanna go to bed anymore.. bwahaha.. sorry people, I'm jsut tired.. Need to sit down and look at something beautiful and think elven thoughts.. ^_^
Old 03-02-2002, 12:45 PM   #32
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We of course read about legolas' sleeplesness in tTT, where he says something to the effect of - wandering in his memory while resting, i.e. he is checking out from the 'real' world to a certain degree at least.

Elves minds are like ours only stronger, w/ the dunedain falling inbetween and royalty amongst the dunedain may well have a more disciplined, powerful and trained mind than non-royal, non-valinorean elves.

Other than 'magic' Elvish[and other] minds can link mind to mind [osanwe] recall 'Arwen watching over Aragorn in her thought' Elrond saying 'all under the shadow is dark to my mind ' or some such. And the beautiful scene in the RotK of the Elven ringbearers [and gandalf and Celeborn] 'sitting looking mind to mind, remembering days that have been and were to come' [paraphrase], this property has been crystalized in the palantiri and in a way in the mirror of Galadriel.

The Maiar and Valar can use osanwe even more freely and naturally. as the connection between their minds and bodies is by nature less sullied w/ 'the flesh' or eating and procreation.

Tolkien's awesome essay 'Osanwe-Kenta' available from the journal Vinyar Tengwar [any google search should turn it up] and is a must have.

Now what does the above digression have to do with sleep of Elves [or maia or dunedain for that matter?]
Much of the majesty of Tolkien's legendarium is that he shows the capabilities of 'the mind' in a much purer form than we see in modern life. To find historical examples we must read the lives of the saints - especially the desert fathers and the eastern Orthodox saints, or look carefully into eatern religion and much more circumspectly into sources so mixed w/ the demonic that i will not name them. However what you will see is that the mind [humans that is] do not HAVE TO: sleep, comminicatre w/ words, and a whole host of what we would consider 'elvish' qualities. This however takes discipline, training and sacrifice. If you spend your time eating pizza and glued to your terminal ot tv 5 hours aday , practicing this stuff for a couple of minutes a day will do nothing.

So one of JRRT's great genius is in showing through the Valar/Eldar/Edain the possibilities of the mind.
manwe being able to communicate w/ Eru directly is I believe one of the few allegories to be found in the Legendarium. We can communicate w/ God [assuming He has anything personal to say to us!] but we must be as Manwe was ruler of an harmonious realm, ourselves. and sit quietly and humbly waiting, and when about our tasks acting 'lawfully' i.e. w/ in the bounds of the commandments , given to preserve our bodies and minds unsullied and pure.

so the not sleeping thing [ of which there are exceptions] such as the aforementioned woodelves in a drunken stupor, and I also came across Amroth in UT's history of Galadriel and Celeborn mentioning that 'as he slept a great storm came up and before he awoke the ship was carried far out too sea'. I imagine that elves would sleep in the sese we are used to when great grief or weariness was upon then that did not leave then enough energy to practice reflection.

Note that Aragorn also goes w/ out sleep for much of the journey to Rivendell and then Lorien.

So the elves in general use their minds 24/7, as do the valar and maia, Men can do this under unusual circumstances or combined w/ special heritage. sorry for the rambling nature of all of that.

lindil
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 01:51 PM   #33
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Silmaril

No need to apologize, Lindil! I appreciate your enlightenment! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]