Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Sailing Away Discussion Thread

Firefoot invites you to play in her game:

Sailing Away

Historical Background: The story takes place in the spring preceding the War of the Ring. The Bounders of the Shire have been very busy trying to keep ruffians out of the boundaries of the Shire. Strange rumors are spreading about dark things in the east.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Basic Storyline: Several young Brandybucks, inspired by tales from their elders, decide to build a raft and sail the Brandywine. Their voyage takes a turn for the worse, when their craft is swept away on the river’s current and they capsize near Sarn Ford, well beyond the bounds of the Shire. The river journey is just the first part of their adventure. Accompany them as they struggle to return to the Shire through strange and unfamiliar lands inhabited by the Big Folk.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

The purpose of the story is to: Sail down the Brandywine, return to Buckland.

This means we will know the story is over when: The young hobbits return safely to Buckland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Location: Buckland

Likely destination: Buckland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a MAP for your use.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the 3rd Age at around year 3018 (spring).

The storyline itself or plot covers two and a half weeks.

This game requires a time commitment of 11 weeks from me, the game owner and from the major players.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Firefoot’s Character

NAME: Sondo Brandybuck

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: Like all hobbits, Sondo has exceptional aim throwing stones. His only other weapon is a belt knife confiscated from Brandy Hall. It is about eight inches long. Sondo thinks this to be a useful weapon for adventuring, but in truth he would be doing well if he doesn’t hurt himself using it.

APPEARANCE: Sondo is rather small, even for a hobbit. He is only 2'8", and light in build. His sandy brown hair is curly and usually unkempt. His eyes are dark brown, and don’t miss very much. His face is lively and expressive, and he is usually seen with a smile on his face.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Sondo sees everything as an adventure. He loves to hear tales of heroes that go off on adventures. As much as he likes the bustle of living in Brandy Hall, he also finds it rather confining. He dreamed of someday having his own adventure, and now that he has made up his mind to do so he has gone about preparing for it with fervor. Sondo fears very little and does not back down from challenges. Optimism and enthusiasm are two characteristics he by no means lacks.

Sondo has always been the leader of his group of friends, mostly other young hobbits also living in Brandy Hall, and with good reason. He has always been the one to come up with ideas for mischief and the ways to carry them out. He is quite clever, but he does not always use this intelligence for worthwhile causes (for example, stealing mushrooms). Despite his small stature, he has a presence about him that make people notice him and listen. He learned to read and write, but neither of these things interested him very much.

Sondo is also a touch arrogant, and usually thinks himself to be right. Without intending to, he can be callous and seem unfeeling. He is a very fun person to have as a friend, but a terrible person to have as an adversary.

HISTORY: Sondo has two older sisters (twins), two older brothers, and a younger sister. He is on fairly good terms with all of his siblings, but not particularly close to any of them. He has lived in Brandy Hall all of his life, though his mother is a Took and he has travelled to visit his Tookish relations many times. He does not fully understand hardship, loss, or death, because he has not had much if any experience in these things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefoot’s post FIRST FOR GAME

Sondo hurriedly shoveled down his breakfast. He was eating by himself this fine May morning, a rather unusual occurrence. His friends, scattered across the large dining hall, were likewise alone; they had all agreed it would be best if they were not seen leaving Brandy Hall together so as not to arouse suspicion. For this was the day that his adventure was to start! Sondo had been awaiting this day for some time, ever since he had decided on his newest and grandest exploit yet: to sail down the Brandywine and explore new lands and come back, maybe even with treasure like old Mad Baggins had.

Upon finishing his breakfast, Sondo stood to take his plate back to the kitchen. Such was his good mood that Sondo bid the cook a good day as he delivered his dish. She recognized him; Sondo had caused trouble more than once in her kitchen.

“Be off with you!” said the cook, smiling and shaking her long spoon at him. “And if you are to cause any trouble this day, make sure that it is not in my kitchen!” Sondo laughed and promised that he wouldn’t, for once meaning every word. As he threaded his way back through the long dining tables, he passed a few of his friends and exchanged discreet conspiratorial glances. Those who knew Sondo well would recognize the look on his face as the one he wore when he was up to something.

The hallways were fairly busy, but Sondo passed through them unnoticed - it was the start of a busy day and no one paid much attention to a young hobbit lad. He slipped out one of the side doors while no one was watching. It was the perfect day to start an adventure: the sky was deep blue and a light breezed caressed his face, carrying with it the sweet fragrance of spring. He struck up a fair pace and whistled as he walked, taking the road south past the turn to Bucklebury Ferry.

As he walked, Sondo allowed himself to review the past few weeks with great satisfaction at what had been accomplished. There had been much to do and plan before he could leave. He had first needed to convince his friends what a wonderful idea it was. This had perhaps been the easiest part, because Sondo could make even the most fool-hardy plan sound like a brilliant idea to his group of friends, and they had taken to the idea almost immediately anyhow. He could not even begin to count the near-misses and scrapes he had gotten them into, but still they listened to him, for often as not his ideas worked out excellently and they had a fun time carrying them out.

The next step had been to build a raft and secure supplies. After all, one could not have an adventure without proper supplies. Slowly, secretly, they had confiscated tools and food from the immeasurable resources of Brandy Hall. Someone had found an oilcloth to keep the needed supplies safe from water, because whatever they found had to be stored in their secret stash near the bank of the Brandywine. This was the same cove where they had kept the unfinished raft. Sondo had found himself a hunting knife, a weapon he deemed fitting for adventures. It was in his pocket now - he could not have worn it outwardly inside Brandy Hall because it would have been noticed for sure. The food, enough for several days, had been stolen from the kitchen over the course of the past week. Their sailing vessel was of simple design: logs roped together and caulked with tar, and a makeshift mast with a sheet tied to it for a sail. The hobbits had only finished and tested their raft yesterday, and found with great jubilation that it floated easily, even with all of their weight on top of it. Then they had secured their supplies to the raft and covered those with the oilcloth, ready for sailing.

It was not long before Sondo came to the little creek that crossed the road. The road was clear, so Sondo turned to follow the stream to the Brandywine. The land here between the road and the river was covered by a sparse forest, so the Brandywine did not come into vision until he was nearly upon it. The surface of the muddy river appeared to flow lazily, but Sondo knew that the current was much swifter than it looked. He turned left to reach the storage location of the raft. The place was a little inlet, invisible from every angle except the north, and only then at a close range.

Sondo was the first to arrive, and he was relieved to find everything exactly as it had been left. He resisted the urge to look and make sure the oilcloth was secured correctly. It had been checked several times already and the supplies had been arranged specifically so that the things that would be needed first were on top. There was no need to rearrange. Having nothing else to do, Sondo sat down on the raft with his back to the mast and waited for his companions to show up, dreaming of the adventures he would have, each one being more fantastical than the last.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-04-2005 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:24 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Dedicated character --- Nurumaiel's character

NAME: Falco Brandybuck

WEAPONS: Falco has no 'sharp' weapon, for his mother is somewhat protective of him. Yet he carries with him a simply-fashioned cudgel that he can wield with considerable force.

APPEARANCE: Falco's hair is brown, with a bit of a touch of auburn in it, and slightly wave, and his eyes are also brown. His cheeks are rosy from constant exercise, and sprinkled with just a few freckles. A very slight tilt-up of his nose indicates some arrogance. He's of average height and weight, but despite his not over-impressive stature, he carries extra strength than normal.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Falco is a generally cheerful lad, who amuses himself in typical boy's games. He enjoys the company of all his friends and companions, and has deep admiration and loyalty to anyone he looks upon as worthy. He could not be said to be an unnaturally adventurous boy, but he has a boy's natural inclinations towards fun and excitement. He's a very bold lad not easily intimidated, and is not opposed to throwing himself recklessly into dangerous situations. He has a deep fondness for any who are close to him, yet he hides it with a show of gruffness and an attitude of non-caring. Falco has arrogance of a certain kind. He will submit himself to another's will if he shares the same opinion as that one, but if the views differ Falco will immediately draw back and become assertive, and try to take the position as leader. Coupled with this is a stubborness, and so even if he realizes that the other is right he will still hold to his own ideas, and arrogantly tell others that he is right, despite his own sense that he is not. He also has an annoying habit of not paying close attention to what people are saying, so more than not he is left in a sort of ignorance of what is going on.

HISTORY: Falco was born to Merimas and Ruby (Gamwich) Brandybuck, and was raised in Brandy Hall. His father worked on the other side of the river, so most days he spent with his mother (who he loved very much, but didn't show it), his older brother (who he admired with a fierce admiration), and his little sister (who he thought very annoying, but also worthy of secret love). When he was younger he was very clumsy and was forever knocking vases off the shelves and running into walls, and tripping over his own feet and falling on his face, so his older brother gave him the nickname of 'Fally,' pronounced as if saying 'fall.'

Nurumaiel’s post

Falco Brandybuck sat up in the apple tree, picking the fruit and studying them carefully, and then choosing which he would eat and which he would cast aside as no good. Every now and again he would look out of the corner of his eye towards Brandy Hall, where his family was, more than likely, just finishing breakfast. He had had some difficulty in deciding which he preferred more: to go eat the fine breakfast with his family, or to climb the tree and sit nearer the sky, and dine upon his desserts at once. He knew well he would be scolded for taking his dessert before he had eaten a single meal, but he knew also that it would not take the taste of the apples from his mouth. He didn't know, or rather he had forgotten, that his mother was going to make apple pies that day. Having forgotten (for he had not paid her close attention when she was speaking), it never occurred to him that he would be punished in the manner of being denied his fair share of pie.

He was ignorant, and he was happy. The apples tasted fine, the clear spring breeze rustled through the leaves and through his hair, and he was at peace.

A little pattering of feet on the grass below called his attention, and he saw a head of waving brown hair below him. It was his sister. He choked back a laugh of excitement, for he was hiding and she was searching for him. He put a half-eaten apple into his pocket, in case she should find him, for he did not want to be caught in his guilty act, and he pressed himself against the tree trunk. She looked here and there with a perturbed frown on her face, pattered a little way further, and then returned, her hands on her hips and her head cocked angrily to one side. She looked here and there once again, and then she rolled her eyes upwards in a sigh of annoyance. She caught sight of his blue shirt, and was immediately at the foot of the tree, calling up to him.

"Falco, Mamma 'as been looking for you everywhere and she's very angry. Why do you run 'way from breakfast?" And then her big eyes widened and she said, "Were you eating apples up there?"

"Yes," said Falco, and brought himself to the ground. "But don't tell Mamma, Rosa, and I'll give you an apple too."

"Oh no, naughty boy," she said, shaking her finger (and looking just like her mother). "You are very naughty to be stealing those apples, and I won't 'elp you."

"Stealing?" said Falco indignantly. "Why, I was just eating them because I was hungry!"

"You should 'ave et your breakfast, naughty boy."

"Please don't tell Mamma, Rosa," said Falco, his voice pleading and his hands catching her own.

She pulled away from him and fixed her determined eyes on the Hall, but she did not move. Rather, she cast him a keen sideways glance and said, "Will you give me your piece of apple pie if I don't?"

"Apple pie?" said Falco, very stupidly.

"Yes," said Rosa. "Mamma is making apple pie and if you don't give me yours I will tell 'er that you et those apples!"

He had forgotten about the pie. Ah, well. Either way he would lose his share. It was better to lose them to Rosa and escape a scolding. He nodded. "You can have the pie, Rosa, but don't tell Mamma."

"Then I won't," she said.

"I'm sure Sondo and the other boys were looking for me?" he said, and he presented it as a question.

"No, no," she said. "But soon everyone will be looking for Sondo and the other boys."

"What do you mean?" said Falco, quite as stupidly as before.

"I saw 'im leave very quietly, and he ran 'cross the grass towards the river. I wonder if 'e's running 'way?"

Falco turned pale. How could he have forgotten? He recalled, vaguely, that Sondo had been saying something about an adventure, and something about the river, and the raft. Again he questioned himself: how could he have forgotten?

"Rosa, I have to go now," he said. "Don't tell anyone that you saw Sondo leave, or that you saw anyone leave, or that you saw me leave."

"What will you give me if I don't?"

"My piece of apple pie."

"You already gave that to me."

"Then you can tell Mamma about the apples." It didn't matter if she knew. He wouldn't be about to be scolded. "Tell Mamma about the apples, and I'll give you my pie for not telling about us going."

"Very well," she said, "but don't you be running 'way too."

"Of course not, Rosa," he murmured, and giving her a little pat on the cheek he turned towards the river and ran with all speed he could muster.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Very nice, Child! Bingo sounds like an interesting character. I'll look forward to RP'ing with you.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Thanks for the acceptance Firefoot, I look forward to roleplaying with you again. As well as roleplaying with Child and Nurumaiel for the first time.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:04 PM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I'd like to take a stab at this RPG.

~*~*~

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – yes - Which one? Hunt for the Palantíri
2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None
3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – yes

~*~*~

NAME: Marroc Brandybuck

WEAPONS/EQUIPMENT: Marroc doesn't really carry weapons around with him. Though he has been known from time to time to carry stones in his pockets for his slingshot. He usually carries a walking stick for trekking across open fields or fighting off his older brothers.

APPEARANCE: Marroc is considered quite tall for his age and is very plumb. He has light brown hair that in always falling in his green eyes.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is a kind and loving Hobit lad. He is always laughing and making those around him laugh. His best strength is his quick thinking. He's been able to get himself out of many jams because of how quickly he thinks on his feet. His biggest weakness is he is always trying to prove himself to his older brothers.

HISTORY: Marroc is the youngest child of Mongo and Ruby Brandybuck. He has five older sisters and three older brothers. He was born to be the trouble maker of the family. He has, in the past, wandered off in the early morning and not returned until long after supper. His father tries to keep him busy by having him help bring in the crops or sometimes help his mother with the meals. Still Marroc can be an extremely clumsy lad and finds a way to make a mess of almost every situation. Still his parents cherish him as the baby of the family and are forever trying to turn him down a less worrisome path for life.

Marroc was invited by Sondo to join their little adventure and at first he was a little nervous. He had never been asked to join anything like this at first. The more Sondo explained the plan to him the more it appealed to young Marroc. The only member of the raft party Marroc really knows and is friendly with is Sondo and he thinks he's going to make a fine leader on their adventure.

Kitanna's post

Marroc shoved a last piece of bacon into his mouth, hoping now to get away to join Sondo. Marroc pushed back from the table and headed for the door. "Where do you think you're going?" His mother said, pulling him back into his chair.

"Out to help Father."

"Not without more than a few pieces of bacon you're not." Ruby shoveled more bacon and some eggs and bread onto Marroc's plate. "You'll need your strength to go out with your father and brothers today."

Marroc dug into his food, barely taking anytime to chew it. "You're going to be sick." His oldest sister Daisy said. "No one will get any work done today if you get sick and they have to carry you back."

Marroc tried to say something with a chunk of bread in his mouth. "Daisy's right, take your time."

The Hobbit lad mumbled and paced himself. But the entire time his tapped his foot nervously on the floor. He had to get away. He had to go join up with Sondo.

Finally he cleared his plate of all traces of food. "May I go now? Please?"

Ruby looked over him and smiled warmly. "I suppose so, but stay out of trouble. There's work to be done and there's no time for your foolishness."

Marroc jumped out of his chair and ran outside. He did a quick check to make sure no one was watching and he headed away from the field. On his way to meet Sondo and the others Marroc stopped off at a hollowed out tree trunk. Inside he had hidden his knapsack with his slingshot and plenty of stones, a few apples, and water. He grabbed his walking stick as well and headed off.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-04-2005 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #10
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Note to Firefoot: Child and I have been conversing via PMs about the possibility of her character's younger brother, mentioned in her post, deciding he wants to come along and showing up just before the friends leave. I'm posting a bio for this character to go along with this idea -- but it's your call whether this is okay.

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – No.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? - None.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – Yes.

For your character please include:

NAME: Reginand (Reggie for short)

WEAPONS/EQUIPMENT: Like his brother, Reginand is not much of a fighter. He does carry a small sling and several well-chosen stones for it, but the only thing he has ever hit with them are targets painted on trees. He also has a little pocket-knife which he generally uses to peel apples, although he's dabbled in throwing it a bit (much to the annoyance of the neighbors). It could come in handy, though, he always thinks, and likes to show off with it to his friends. He happens to have a bit of rope in his back pocket. He also has with him the satchel which Bingo packed for him, in which are a clean shirt and trousers and some food.

APPEARANCE: Reggie is thin because he is constantly active, and he is rather short. His hair is dark brown and occasionally gets grass caught in it from playing outdoors. While he has his quiet moments, he is usually smiling.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is outgoing and happy most of the time, and does not allow himself to be discouraged. He usually can find a way out of a fix, and being perhaps more curious than is good for him, often has to do so. His greatest strength is his stamina; his greatest weakness is the fact that he is always getting himself into trouble.

HISTORY: Since he was only six years old when his parents were killed, he does not have many prominent or clear memories of them. He likes his independence, but also loves to hear stories about his parents from Bingo. The fact that he is different from his other relatives because of his unusual parental situation does not really bother him; in fact, it has only made him closer to his older brother, whom he relies on and admires very much.

Encaitare's post

Reginand felt rather abandoned as he watched Bingo go happily off down towards the riverbank with a spring in his step. He looked gloomily towards Cousin Melilot's door, bright yellow in the side of the hill.

I could still go back home, he thought, dreading the idea of spending several beautiful spring days indoors. But then that would give Bingo away, and I can't do that either.

The young hobbit found himself dragging his feet as he slowly made his way up the path, gently swinging his satchel around. It was a sunny day, and the whole Shire seemed to be coming alive again. He ought to be outside romping in the grass or playing by the river with Bingo, not left by himself to unpack boxes and move furniture.

Another look at the yellow door did it for him: there was a cart just outside of it, covered in bundles and packages. He wouldn't have minded so much if Bingo had stayed, but there was not a chance that this was how he would spend these days. Why shouldn't he have an adventure too, like so many of his older Took relatives, or even that funny Bilbo Baggins?

Making up his mind, Reggie turned about and raced down towards the riverbank. There he could see a raft floating in the water. Bingo was there with Sondo, and another hobbit who he knew to be called Rory. Bingo noticed him approaching and looked at him sternly.

"Reg, why aren't you at Cousin Melilot's?"

"I can't go there and unpack things for half a week! If you think I'm going to do that, boy, you're crazy, Bingo Brandybuck--"

His older brother did not look amused. "You must go, or else Aunt Hilda will come looking for me. Come on, Reggie," he said more quietly. "Please, just go."

"Can I come with you?" Reginand said, turning to Sondo, who was watching the whole spectacle. "I won't take up much room on the raft, and I won't weigh it down at all -- see? I'm small enough!" He jumped up and down a couple of times for emphasis. "I can help you lads with whatever you need. Please?"

Last edited by Encaitare; 01-29-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #11
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Kitanna - There are a couple of minor things that I have sent via pm that should be very easily addressed. I'm going to go ahead and accept Marroc now, though. He's an interesting character. Welcome to the game!

Encaitaire - It's fine with me if you want to play Bingo's little brother since it is fine with Child. It should make for some interesting characer interaction between your two characters - I'll look forward to it. A welcome to you too!

I've really liked the character submissions so far. Only one more player is needed - looking at other submissions so far, it might be interesting if that character was a real grouch. Not to sway that potential player's ideas, or anything...