The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
nynnd1
Haunting Spirit

nynnd1 has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Destroying The Ring Easier

WHY NOT, INSTEAD OF RELYING ON A HOBBIT AND A FELLOWSHIP OF MEN, HOBBITS, A WIZARD, AN ELF AND A DWARF DIDN'T gANDALF TRY AND GET THE EAGLES TO FLY OVER AND DROP THE RING IN, SURELY IT WOULD HAVE BEEN EASIER AND THE POWER OF THE RING COULD NOT HAVE TOOK THEM INSTANTLY. NYNND1
Old 03-04-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
First, WELCOME TO BARROWDOWNS, nynnd1. Did you peeped in without seeing that "Abandon hope, all ye who enter"? (By the way, that is true; this place keep you here, whether you will it or not)

Second, you forgot to unlock the Caps Lock.

Third, This topic has been gone over and over with for upteenth times. I am sure you can find a thread like this around if you search for it. In fact, this debate is reopened just recently in a thread. So, check out the graveyard for more interesting stuff.

Now to your question. Eagles have their own business, you know. They are not like the DHL, where you can send a parcel to anywhere at anytime. I am not sure whether the Eagles would agree to help throwing the Ring into Mount Doom because of the risks involved.... yadda, yadda. But I feel sure that by the end of this discussion, you would have read more than enough of these already.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:23 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Eye Right

First of all, Hot,crispy hobbit, is right eagles can't just be called whenever they want to be to do business. Gandalf doesn't control the eagles Rhadagast is the nature love he's developed a strong relationship with the animals, but he apandoned his task of aiding the inhabitants of Middle Earth and turned to nature.

Second of all what kid of story would this be. Frodo, gets the ring in the shire 3 days later the Eagles come pick him up, in 3 days hte eagles fly over mount doom and frodo drops it in. Yay, the best story I've ever read.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:39 AM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Frodo still wouldn't have been able to throw the Ring in. The Eagle would have had to have dropped Frodo in.

This issue has been covered in a number of other threads. I found a fair few by doing a search.

Here is a good one:

The Great Eagle Mystery

And there has been recent discussion on this subject here too:

Flaws in Lord of the Rings... Yes in the book.

Happy reading!
Old 03-05-2004, 08:31 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome to the Downs, nynnd1! You have chosen a very popular topic for discussion - one that has generated several interesting threads before. Since one of those is quite recent, please post there; thanks, Saucepan Man, for providing the links above. (The second one is the most recent, still active discussion.) I'm closing this thread to avoid confusing duplication.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Closed Thread