The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting Characters

Quoth the Raven<BR>Did anyone change their opinions on favorite characters after seeing the movies?? My opinion changed dramatically, and I'm glad of the change! I liked Frodo, but now I fancy Aragorn, not because of how hot he is, (he is!) but because he didn't stand out as much to me in the book. Now I like Aragorn in both aspects of Lotr. I know this has been brought up before but I can't find it!<BR>Nevermore
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 11:46 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got swept up in the Legolas craze when Fotr first came out. Then I think I switched to Aragorn. Now I'm a firm Denethor fan.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:13 PM   #3
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yea, Meela! Your Denethor craze is quite famous! <P>Ahem, let's get back on topic befor ethe great BW catches us!! *grins cheekily*

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

ditto dunadan_aragorn... my favorite since I have seen the movies in Aragorn... and yes he is hot!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:25 PM   #5
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

Sting

Quoth the Raven<BR>I do have an eye for such things...*snigger* <BR>Nevermore
Old 05-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #6
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

Well,<BR>In the books I thought of Aragorn to be a bit of a punk at first, however the movies shed a different light on the subject... it could have just been that I aged and matured a bit too though. But anyways, in the books Gandalf was my favorite character. After seeing the movies my opinion was definitely strengthened. After the movies though, during a conversation between some of my friends and myself on the topic of, "If you were a person in ME, or descended from such a person, which race would you belong to?" - I began to change my mind. I think that I best pegged myself as a Dunedan first, a wizard second, and an elf last. So now, I think that Aragorn is my new favorite. Seeing Aragorn get Liv Tyler in the movies didn't hurt either.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #7
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Old 05-22-2003, 08:19 AM   #8
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My Faramir fettish is mostly from the books, but from the movie, I would have to say I love Sam and Pippin because of Sean and Billy!!!
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 07:50 PM   #9
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

In the books, I always loved Aragorn. But then <I>TTT</I> came out, and it made me think of Legolas' little-described "knifework" from Helm's Deep....now I'm an Elf fan (although Aragorn is still awesome).
Old 05-23-2003, 08:34 PM   #10
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Well for me it was always a tie between Frodo and Sam as my favorite character until I saw FOTR and TTT - it was literally Sean Astin's portrayal of Sam that finally won me over to completely to loving Sam! I mean I still love Frodo but Sam is my favorite followed by Frodo and then Aragorn (oh my but Viggo Mortensen plays a <B>fine</B> Aragorn) and after him is Gandalf (Do you not love Ian McKellen in this role?) <p>[ May 24, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 05-24-2003, 03:06 AM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

OH man, im a Haldir fan, always have been, always will be. But i got so utterly depressed when he was killed at Helms Deep.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 07:54 AM   #12
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I laughed. A lot.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:59 PM   #13
elle
Animated Skeleton

elle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elle Send a message via MSN to elle
Pipe

Everdawn I totally agree about Haldir, but only after I saw the movie did I start to love him! Viggo did play a <B>fine</B>Aragorn, and I agree, hotty! and with Legolas, let just say after the movies I have had a love crazy for a certain Prince of Mirkwood! and Billy played an wickied Pippin, little Scottish accent! but my number one is Merry! Dominic helped me realize how cool Merry really is!

~*Stop Deforestation, Start Reforestation*~
~*Save our Future, Save a Tree*~
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 04:47 AM   #14
Ashaden

Silmaril

After I saw the movie my favourite charecters were Legolas as he is so hot , and Frodo . But after I read the books Aragorn became my favourite and my opinion of Frodo droped as I found him to be rather snobbish (the way he spoke down to Sam)but I still love him.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:40 AM   #15
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was such aa Aragorn fan when I read the books, but now I'm definatly a Legolas person. Orlando Bloom is ugly, but Legolas is another story...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:54 AM   #16
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Wow! That´s a whole new approach, Feared Half-Elf! <P>Since the movies I have this total Merry-and-Pippin obsession, becuase Dom and Billy ROCK so badly! And well, you see, I never <I>noticed</I> Arwen properly untill FotR, and now I really do like her. While Viggo is TOTALLY hot, I can´t really say I "like" Aragorn, because he´s so perfect-Hero-ish, and I REALLY have problems with the identification.<P>Yeah, my two cents....<P>PS: Oh, and Legsy (aka Legolas) makes me agressive. Nancing around going "I spy with my elven eye... A HORSE!"
Old 05-27-2003, 05:59 PM   #17
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Nancing around going "I spy with my elven eye... A HORSE!"<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Quoth the Raven<BR>HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...hahahaha... ..haha...ha? Seriously though, that's pretty funny. (and true!)<BR>Nevermore
Old 05-27-2003, 06:02 PM   #18
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I never really paid much attention to Aragorn and Legolas while I was reading the books because they seemed too much like stereotypical heroes. But when I saw the movies, that stereotypical heroism kind of comforted me. Now I know that I will always have someone to drool over! <P>P.S. I also have a weakness for archers with British accents. Go Legolas!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:54 PM   #19
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well to tell you the truth first came the film and only than I got the book . If talkin' about charecters than I prefer Merry and Pippin because they have a sence of humor and they do not get coserend about all those wars and stuff . Well atleast in TTT it still can't be noticed . And actually in the FotR I didn't have any favorites .
Old 06-05-2003, 02:02 PM   #20
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Since the movies I have this total Merry-and-Pippin obsession, becuase Dom and Billy ROCK so badly! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree. I loved their characters in all of the books, and Billy and Dom just played them so well. Yes, they rock! Dom especially made me look at Merry's character closer, because usually people think of them as MerryandPippin and one personality (a bit like Samneric) Merry can sometimes be overshadowed. He has a sense of fun and humor but is a little more sensible than Pippin, and I get the impression that he thinks a lot. I really like Merry, and I like how Dom plays him. And as for Pippin, we all adore that adorable Took!<BR>Legolas didn't make much of an impression in the book, and although Orlando Bloom was good he didn't really rock my socks. I'm a hobbit lover at heart. <BR>Ian Holm made me more interested in Bilbo. I think he was a great Bilbo, and then I read the Hobbit and just fell in love with him. He's such a great little character!<BR>
Old 06-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #21
Sparks

Tolkien

I would have to say that Pippin and Frodo are my favorites, but then again I love all of the hobbits(in the book, movie and real life!). I also came to liking Legolas(alot!)but in the movie he doesn't talk that much he just stands around like a watchman. I also came to like Gollum(Andy you rock!). I came to like him because 1. Andy did a magnificient job at bringing him to life and 2. Because we all have a little Gollum deep inside! <P>I agree Merry and Pippin do rock and in real life they are even funnier but in an interview they asked them who's more like Merry and who's more like Pippin and Billy answered and he said that he was Merry and Dom was Pip.<p>[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: Sparks ]
Old 06-06-2003, 01:27 PM   #22
ArisBoch
Newly Deceased

ArisBoch has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

i definately have to say aragorn, i liked him even when i first read the books, and when i saw the movie i was so relieved that viggo portrayed him so well i almost cried. can't wait to see him coming in all his kingliness in the third movie. (there are some pretty awesome sneak preview pics out there)
Old 06-08-2003, 11:34 PM   #23
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Sparks on characters: Pippin and Frodo are tops with me in the books! But the one character who would never have struck me if it hadn't been for the movies is Boromir. Sean Bean really humanized Boromir and gave me the capacity to forgive him. I have never looked at Boromir the same way since Sean B. gave him screen life. (It could also be because he's not hard to look at either!) ;=)<P>I think also that it is my focus on Pippin in my latest readings of LOTR that made me take a closer look at Boromir, for Pippin's choices later on are very much influenced by the Son of Gondor. Pippin's pledge to Denethor is in memory of Boromir the Brave, and Pippin does not treat it lightly. He has grown up by the time he reaches Minas Tirith, and he has a debt of honor to Boromir; I guess this time around, I've seen Boromir through Pippin's eyes, and he is much richer and more tragic than the braggart I had thought him when I read the books long ago.<P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 01:07 AM   #24
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I ended up liking Aragorn & Legolas alot more due to the films, sepecailly Aragorn
Old 07-28-2003, 08:51 PM   #25
red_dragon

Sting

i have TOTALLY SAME opinion!!!! <P>first i like legolas ALOT,but after TTT......I fell in love with aragorn!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 12:01 AM   #26
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

I am all Aragorn, not just because of Viggo (drool) but because of the character in the books! He goes from a wanderer to a King! There is hope for me! (dances around the room and getting strange looks from brother)<P>Nehani of the Forest

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:53 PM   #27
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Dom especially made me look at Merry's character closer, because usually people think of them as MerryandPippin and one personality (a bit like Samneric) Merry can sometimes be overshadowed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Half the people I know forget poor ol' Merry! They all like Pippin better just because he's a tad bit off in the head ocassionally. <BR>Anyway, I saw FOTR before I read the books, and Merry and Pippin were my movie faves (I just thought hobbits were neat and they seemed more interesting to me than Frodo and Sam). So then I read The Hobbit, FOTR and TTT, then saw TTT, and they were still my faves by the time I had finished reading ROTK! In fact, I probably liked them all the more once I saw the movies again because Billy and Dom are perfect as Pippin and Merry. The thing is that I can't say whom I like better of the two, since it always switches.<P>Man, do I ramble or what! Oh well.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:31 AM   #28
Sexy Istari

Sting

when i first read the books i was into Aragorn (swinging swords ) but after seeing the films i AM 100% Sean Astin. Its just the way that he portrays Sam that makes you lurve him if you are into emotional men, insteed of the Rough and tumble man that is Aragorn. <P>Ching!thats my 2c.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:30 PM   #29
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

In my last post I totally forgot to mention Sean Bean. He was such a great Boromir. Everything was just spot on. He made me look at the character again and see past all the ring-grabbing stuff. I just think he's brilliant. *gush gush*! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Sean Bean really humanized Boromir and gave me the capacity to forgive him. I have never looked at Boromir the same way since Sean B. gave him screen life. (It could also be because he's not hard to look at either!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I totally agree, Lyta <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In the books I thought of Aragorn to be a bit of a punk at first <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Now I can just imagine someone going up to Aragorn and going 'Hey! Punk!' or something.<BR>Harr harr...<p>[ August 02, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Brambleburr ]
Old 08-07-2003, 08:41 AM   #30
rivendale flute

Sting

I would have to say that I was one of those who saw the FOTR before reading the books. But even so, I have to say Merry is my favorite character- and not just because Dominic is incredibly cute as Meriadoc. I love Merry (and Pippen) because they help add a comical aspect to the books. I also really like Eowyn's character. She goes into battle for her people, and at the same time is elegant and beautiful.