The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2005, 05:00 AM   #41
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I'm not sure if this counts as minor, but it is something I have wondered about that is also relevant to the Books.

ME is supposed to be Europe. How, then, does Sam know of Taters?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:54 AM   #42
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

The potato was a major crop in Ireland.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #43
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

After being imported from the New World.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #44
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWBS
After being imported from the New World.
As was tobacco (aka pipeweed).
Old 06-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #45
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

And, if we're including the Movies, Cherry tomatoes.

I suppose we must draw the conclusion that Middle Earth was actually in the Americas. What a terrible shame for us Europeans.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #46
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, but there are umbrellas in the Shire, and I believe (unless I'm mistaken, which I could be) that umbrellas came post Columbian Exchange, or at least after it had already started. So fear not, ME still could be Europe (much the pity for those of us in North America, although the potato was actually from Peru.)

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 06-21-2005 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typos
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #47
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Maybe the Númenoreans with all their sailing ran into another continent that was the Americas? Or didn't Eärendil go on hugely long exploration voyages?

Maybe one of them found all these things, like pipeweed, tomatoes and potatoes, and brought them over to Middle-earth.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #48
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Maybe, just maybe, Middle-earth didn't really exist.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #49
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Maybe, just maybe, Middle-earth didn't really exist.
Perish the thought. Up till this point I thought you were only slightly touched in the head now I realize that it's a full blown malady in you.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #50
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Alas, what has become of poor, good Eomer, to think such falsities?

Hm... perhaps a "Location of Middle Earth" thread is in order. What I'm wondering is if there's any reference to potatoes in the Silm, before the Americas were even made. Certainly the Numenoreans could not have imported such finds, created only after the fall of their island.
*Starts thinking*

Okay, that was so off-topic. Still interesting, though.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #51
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I would advise a search on potatoes or tobacco or even coffee, as this issue has already been the subject of a number of threads (as has the "real world" location of Middle-earth).
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #52
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Eomer what's wrong!?! Have you been forgetting to take your pills or has the stress of avoiding lynching been gettin to you that much .
Old 06-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #53
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Kath, careful! (I think you just challenged the rules)

But anyway, it appears obvious that I'm the weirdo here. Look: it's not like I'm particularly fond of the 'real world', just........o nevermind! Go back and speculate without me!
Old 06-21-2005, 01:44 PM   #54
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
What are rules for but to be challenged? Nah I apologise Eomer - just don't tell anyone!

Back on topic though one thing that gets my attention every time is when Gandalf enters the Golden Hall and there is a shot of him walking towards Theoden, and it just really looks like he is wearing trainers.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #55
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I don't know if anyone else would consider this a mistake, but when Frodo first picks up the Ring Gandalf holds out the envelope and Frodo drops the Ring in. Well in less then three seconds Gandalf has the envelope sealed and the wax is dry and all ready for Frodo to hide. That has to be some sort of record.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #56
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Pipe

Quote:
As was tobacco (aka pipeweed).
Who says it was tobacco?

Quote:
I suppose we must draw the conclusion that Middle Earth was actually in the Americas.
How exciting!

When Gandalf and the others are entering the Golden Hall, Legolas is holding Gandalf's arm. In the next shot he isn't and a few seconds later, he's holding it again.

Billy Boyd pointed this out in the commentary. At Minas Tirith when you can see Gandalf smoking his pipe on the balcony, if you look behind him Pippin is in his bed. In a few seconds he is standing just behind Gandy. I wish I could get out of bed that quickly...

Last edited by Nimrodel_9; 06-27-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Nimrodel_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:49 PM   #57
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Also Billy Boyd pointed out in the commentary that his Indiana Jones trick of getting the palantir was unscripted and he just asked if we could switch it with the pitcher, and "they just happened to have" a Hobbit scale of that pitcher. But look at the pitcher Pippin uses to pour Gandalf a glass of water in Minas Tirith. It's the same pitcher. That's why they had a Hobbit scale of it.

I guess Pippin and Gandalf decided they had already had such great times with the pitcher that they brought it with them from Edoras.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:26 PM   #58
Ar-Pharazon
Pile O'Bones

Ar-Pharazon has just left Hobbiton.
Here are a few things that irked me about LotR.

1) What happened to the elves at Helms Deep after Haldir died its like they all disappeared, not one mention of them after that. Not even a body, although I cant remember if there was one in the EE.

2) Their is the fact that they made Anduril so damn big that Aragorn could never wear it sheathed throughout the whole movie except when hes on a horse, and for the point when he becomes king, even then it looks ridiculously big.

3) The scene when the trio enter Rohan from their chase after the battle at Rauros. Aragorn asks "Legolas, what do your elf eye's see". He replies "The unit has turned NORTH EAST, they are taking the hobbits to Isengard." Legolas needs a compass. I thought Isengard was at the western most point of Rohan.

4) The most blatant scene of goofs is when Gandalf, Aragorn, et al enter Edoras to face Wormtongue. At points Legolas is helping Gandalf walk then the shot switches and they are totally seperate. At points Gandalf has his staff out at other points he is carrying it behind his cloak. It just shows that this scened took far too many shots to keep the flow more genuine.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:33 AM   #59
Mansun

I noticed how 1 or 2 of the dead orcs of Isengard on the floor (in the FOTR after Bormomir is killed) show quite a bit of movement even though they are meant to be long since slain!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #60
Kitanna
Child of the West

Shield

In FOTR when the Hobbits are hiding from the Black Rider he just sort of pops up from behind the tree. In the top right hand corner of the shot there's a bit of sky which the rider should pass by, but he doesn't. He just comes from thin air.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:58 PM   #61
Lúmen Rómello
Newly Deceased

Lúmen Rómello has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-Pharazon
Here are a few things that irked me about LotR.

1) What happened to the elves at Helms Deep after Haldir died its like they all disappeared, not one mention of them after that. Not even a body, although I cant remember if there was one in the EE.
I never noticed that before. But yeah, where did they all vanish to? Maybe they all got scared of the big bad Uruks and turned into rocks.

Quote:
2) There is the fact that they made Anduril so damn big that Aragorn could never wear it sheathed throughout the whole movie except when hes on a horse, and for the point when he becomes king, even then it looks ridiculously big.
I agree. Then there's the fact that he's supposed to be carrying Narsil/Anduril the whole freakin' time he's in the movies, since he pulls it out in Bree and his sword is only about a foot long and broken. At least it is in the books. Actually, all of Aragorn's swords are way too long to be sheathed comfortably at his side, I think. They all look like bastard swords or broadswords. No way you're going to sheathe those at your waist. Those go on your back (or better yet, have your page/donkey carry them. )

Quote:
3) The scene when the trio enter Rohan from their chase after the battle at Rauros. Aragorn asks "Legolas, what do your elf eye's see". He replies "The unit has turned NORTH EAST, they are taking the hobbits to Isengard." Legolas needs a compass. I thought Isengard was at the western most point of Rohan.
HOLY CRAP!!!! There's an instance where Legolas isn't Superelf?! He got something wrong?! I'm surprised PJ and Co. didn't do something about this in post-production. I mean, he's got impeccable fashion sense, he never gets filthy, he can shoot a fly off a Mûmak's arse from a league away, he can hold about 20 glasses of mead without any ill effects, he can do some weird vaulting thingy into a saddle, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseam, why can't he get directions right?! Because we all know that OMFG Leggy is t3h r0xz0rz!!!1!!!!!11111!!!

[/rant]

-LR.

Last edited by Lúmen Rómello; 08-05-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Lúmen Rómello is offline   Reply With Quote