The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers > Music in Middle-earth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree "Bring Out the Instruments!", Heidi Steimel

I'm starting a thread here on Heidi Steimel's '"Bring Out the Instruments!": Instrumental Music in Middle-earth', which I was glad to see in print; because I had wished to see and hear her present it at Oxonmoot 2008 when I was there, but was unable to do so.

It was great, in reading the article, to not only have an overview of the many musical instruments in Tolkien's works, but to see Ms. Steimel's take on 'those who construct and play them, at the effect they have, and at their significance within the narrative'. (p. 91)

I agree with her that the harp was 'the instrument most often mentioned in connection with Elves'; (p. 95) and that horns and trumpets were 'frequently mentioned instruments among Men' in LotR. (p. 96)

While I also agree with her about the Horn of the Mark having in its description 'a marked similarity' to '"magical" ancient heirloom weapons', (p. 97) I would add that Boromir's horn, carried by generations of his family, was certainly one of the same, its magic being quite evident.

Faramir told Frodo and Sam about this horn's particular magical property: 'it is said that if it be blown at need anywhere within the bounds of Gondor, as the realm was of old, its voice will not pass unheeded'. (LotR, Book 4, Chapter V) This was what had happened; when Boromir blew the horn before he was killed, it was heard by Faramir, far to the south. Since I read that, I've always been impressed by a horn that could be heard over such a distance!

I particularly enjoyed her description of the concert held in Bag End by the dwarves at the beginning of The Hobbit. (pp. 100-104) As she rightly said, not only was it the 'one orchestral performance of which Tolkien writes in detail ' (p. 100) describing all the instruments and who played them; it was an extremely important musical performance in the history of Middle-earth:

Bilbo felt within himself the spirit of the Dwarves and awakened to an understanding of their nature. This identitifcation with his guests made it easier for him to join in their adventure subsequently. The music had an important part in preparing him for what was to come. Without the music, there might never have been a "There and Back Again"! (p. 103)

Well said, Ms. Steimel!

Last edited by Faramir Jones; 02-09-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: There was a gap
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote