The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2002, 06:21 PM   #1
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
White-Hand A Matter of Redemption

I just watched <I>The Two Towers</I> again today, and now, having more time to pay attention to details, I picked up a few things in dialogue and action that I missed the first time. Most of it was fairly minor, but there were a few things that really caught my attention.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You did not kill me, you will not kill him! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>While Gandalf was "exorcising" Théoden, he yelled this at Saruman. The way he says it gives him a sort of "Luke Skywalker" complexion:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You couldn't bring yourself to kill me before, I don't believe you'll kill me now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It seems to be used in the same context, meaning that Gandalf still believes that Saruman can be....<I>will</I> be redeemed. This also happens in the book, although only as a hope, not a serious consideration. Now, though, it seems like it could really happen (especially when you see Saruman's expression when he sees Isengard flooded around him).<P>The other character that could be redeemed (as foreshadowed by actions in <I>The Two Towers</I>) was Gríma. It's very subtle, but after he is telling Saruman the weakness of Helm's Deep and Saruman shows him the assembled Uruk-hai, he (Gríma) sheds a tear. It seems as if his background as one of the Rohirrim hasn't entirely left him, and he could be ready and willing to abandon Saruman when Gandalf and Théoden come to Isengard.<P>Maybe it's just my <I>Star Wars</I> background, searching for the Darth Vader of Middle-earth, but....<P>The possibility exists.<P>Thoughts?