User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-10-2003, 11:56 AM   #521
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

With a cry of delight Nurumaiel clattered down the stairs and threw her arms around Eruantalon's neck. "You're back!" she cried. "Hurray! It's so good to see you."

She looked at Rie. "And I'm forever indebted to you, Rie, for letting me know he was back. I've been so busy that I haven't been checking up at the Dragon."

She turned back to Erulon with a grin. "What about a drink?"
Old 05-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #522
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

As she continued to walk around the room with the last of the sandwiches she caught the unmistakably sweet smell of southern star pipe weed wafting through the room. She looked around for the source of the smell it was coming from two men sat by the fire, she walked over and offered them the last of the sandwiches. "hmmm, Southern star" she said inhaling the sweet aroma and smiling warmly. Putting the tray on a small table next to them, she extended her hand saying "My name is Léspheria Denfëa from Rivendell and I shall be helping out around the inn for a time". still smiling she asked "Do you mind if I join you?"
``

'Please do Lady Léspheria Denfëa of Rivendell.'

Silvanis nodded, stood and smiled as a hand took the pipe from his lips while the other took her hand gently.

'I'm Silvanis of many places and I am pleased to meet you this day.'

he spoke softly as he stepped toward her to pull the chair from the table.

'And I thank thee for this sandwich, for it os the first food I've had in many months that I had not prepared myself.'

She sat and he moved her chair in to the table slightly before returning to his seat.

'Surely Lady Léspheria you know Derufin. for like you he is in the employ of the Inn.'

Silvanis relit his pipe with another small tinder, and noted the fire had burned down some, so he turned and lifted a fair sized log from the pile and set it amongst the embers and log ends. The flame started to grow with some sizzle and pops, and Silvanis watched as its orange glow complimented the dim table lamps. The draft was leaking a little smoke for the wind was blowing at a fair pace outside.

Sitting back down and tipping the last of his ale, Silvanis looked to Lady Léspheria and said,

'So what brings Lady Léspheria from fair Rivendell to work at this Inn? And maybe you could remind the busy innkeeper I have yet to aquire a room for the night, or can you assign me one yourself?'

Silvanis motioned his empty tankard to the serving maid in a sign it needed refilled. She came by with a pitcher and poured a foamy helping before him...
Old 05-10-2003, 04:36 PM   #523
Nuinatariel
Haunting Spirit

Nuinatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The elf-maiden Lëowen brought her midnight-black horse, Raven, to a halt, stopping before a small inn named the Green Dragon. She led her mount to the stables, and after making sure the horse was comfortably stabled and fed, entered the inn.

Lëowen felt immediently at home in the inn. It was cozy inside, with a scattering of guests at various tables around the room. Lëowen had never been in the Shire before, as her home was in Lóth Lórien. Bored and restless at home, she had taken to wandering. Eventually, she had found herself here.

It was nice to have a roof again over her head. Mostly Lëowen stayed and slept outside, and this would be a pleasent change. "A room for the night, please," she asked the person behind the bar. After taking her room key, Lëowen found an empty table and sat down.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:10 PM   #524
Katt b
Pile O'Bones

Katt b has just left Hobbiton.
Question

A fairly small and delicate young woman approaches the Inn looking hoplessly lost she glances up at the sign and decides to enter.The doors swing open and she cringes the smell of smoke is strong in the air."Umm Excuse me can anyone tell me where I am, I seem to be quite lost?"

The small girl? walks up to the bartender "Excuse me but could you tell me where I am"As she reaches up to brush her hair away from her face you can see she is not a girl but an elven girl.

Please note I have edited your posts and put them together.

You need to read the Red Book of Westmarch for the rules for posting in the Shire (It is the first topic in the Shire Forum)

Basic rule is: Every post must be a minimum 2 paragraphs long with each paragraph 2 sentences minimum.

Try to be as descriptive as you can in your post - tell us what your character looks like, is doing, thinking, etc - how she sees the world around her. Be careful when using dialog that it doesn't encourage chatty posts. Try to keep your language and ideas fairly Tolkien centered, and don't let too much modern wording creep in.

~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 05-10-2003, 05:44 PM   #525
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

'Surely Lady Lésperia you know Derufin. for like you he is in the employment of the Inn'

Léspheria looked to Silvanis saying "alas no, I have only this very afternoon rendered my services to the good Lady innkeeper and as yet not had the Pleasure of meeting it's other staff." A mischevious smile spread across her face as she turned to Derufin saying "It is a pleasure to meet you, I am sure we will get to know each other better during my stay."

'So what brings Lady Lésperia from fair Rivendell to this Inn? And maybe you can remind the busy innkeeper I have yet to aquire a room for the night,or can you assign me one yourself?"

She turned back to Silvanis, the Mischevious smile now replaced by one of warmth and friendship. "To your first question" she replied "I came here delivering a gift from the Lords Elladan and Elrohir for the Lady Piosenniel the previous innkeeper, to celebrate the birth of her Twins. But it seems now that I am to remain and attend the Naming ceremony as a representitive of Rivendell." She stopped for a moment to look at the pair listening to her intently, " seeing that I would be staying for awhile I decided to make myself useful and offer my services to Aman" she said nodding in the innkeepers direction.

"As to your room, I will see to it that you are not forgotten" she laughed lightly.

She then put her hand in the air beckoning Aman over to their table. As she waited for the Innkeeper to join them she asked Silvanis "So what brings you to the Green Dragon"

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 05-10-2003, 06:14 PM   #526
Wolf Larson
Pile O'Bones

Wolf Larson has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Chali was awakened abruptly by Derin's failed attempt to sneak in to his room with a note. "Leaving so soon? We have only covered a year or so back, I have been gone for two."

"I know," Derin began to say sheepishly, "But among all the talk yeserday I remembered how urgently your Brother was needed, so I asked around and your brother was spotted only a couple of miles from here. So I thought I'd leave you this note by your bed and be off quick."

"Then by all means leave the note and be off now, for I am still asleep." Chali said cooly, giving the dwarf another of his famous smiles. Derin proceeded to silently place the note by Chali's head, and tip-toe as best a dwarf can back out of the room.

I need to get up now, Chali thought to himself, never know when you might be needed. He then proceeded to dress and to wash his face.

As Chali stepped out of the room he smelled the sweet scent of breakfast and ale wafting up. He entered the room found an open table, and feasted on the smells.

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Wolf Larson ]

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Wolf Larson ]
Old 05-11-2003, 10:01 AM   #527
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman walked over to the table where Lesperia, Derufin and Silvanis. She wasnt keen on being beckoned like that by the elf, but then she had offered to help around the place.

"Good day all." She nodded to them.

"Is it possible I can get a room?" Here Silvanis spoke up.

Aman turned to him. "Im sorry, I thought Cook already sorted you out in that area?"

Silvanis shook his head, and Aman shook her head. "Must be me then. I've had a few things on my mind recently." She inclined her head towards the bar, indicating that Silvanis should follow her. "One of the first floor rooms I think. This one has a view out to the Shire, a very pretty little room. Alright?"

Silvanis replied in the affirmative and Aman went on, using the businesslike tone she had picked up from Cook. "5 silver please, paid in advance, thankyou. Meals are included, but drinks are not." She rolled her eyes, giving a mock sigh. "Get a few too many sly, old hobbits taking advantage of that one!"

Silvani grinned, digging in his pockets and coming up with a leather pouch from which he found five silver pennies, dropping them into Aman's slim hand. She smiled back, then slid the Inn Log over the bar. Snowdog signed his name in scrawled Tengwar script.

"Thank you...Aman, was it?"

"Thats right." Aman slipped the silver into the wooden till under the bar then turned back to Silvanis. "So, what brings you to the dragon? Have you travelled far?"
Old 05-11-2003, 02:25 PM   #528
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Please be aware of this new change in Barrow Downs policy:

There is a new rule from the Barrow Wight:

Quote:
All profiles are now limited to storing no more than 10 Private Messages (PMs). If you currently have more than 10 in your profile, people will not be able to send you new PMs. To receive new PMS, you must have 10 or less stored in your profile.

This was done because PM traffic was accounting for almost as much as public traffic.
We cannot contact you if you do not clear out your PM's.

Thanks! Pio
Old 05-11-2003, 03:33 PM   #529
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Annalaliath, restless despite the coffee, got up(battered sketchbook in hand) and she walked around looking for some good people to sit and draw. When she found them, Lesperia, Derufin and Silvanis, she promptly took out her bits of charcoal, that she kept in a pouch at her side ,and stated to draw. Every now and then she would look up and then look back down again. She would stop and put her now short golden hair back behind her elfish ears. Her gray eyes darted from table to page, table to page, then from one face to page and then another. Her fingertips were becoming black and she smudged her and then again there. And her hair fell into her eyes again. As she put it back behind her ear a long black smudge of charcoal made its way from fingers to cheek. She continued to work now and then taking sips from her coffee mug that sat next to her on a stool.

Annalaliath found these people interesting. Maybe not in conversation but in their stances and looks. She paused for a second or two(or was it minutes or a lifetime) and looking at their eyes, she wondered," what can they be thinking, what is their motivations?" Her gray blue pools met those of Lesperia. Annalaliath then went straight back to her drawing and contemplated her thoughts as she drew. Then out of pure habit she ran her fine white fingers through her short golden hair, leaving black charcoal streaks in it. She sipped her coffee, and hoped that she had not been noticed in her drawing.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:47 PM   #530
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Soronume looked back down upon the maiden who now seemed akward having asked the question he had done well to avoid for so long.

"Be not uneasy lady Niniel. Your's was such a question I shall have to become accustomed to answering, and you the first to hear the reply" He spoke softly, and with a smile to try and relax Niniel. "But before I tell of my..." Soronume hesitated, then continues with a laugh, "...adventures, will you not take a seat with me?" The maiden smiled back and took seat next to the elf.

"It was not so long ago I parted this land, and this very inn with a dear friend. It happened to be that as we were walking we became involved in a 'mis-hap' and then continued to embark on a quest with a small company. What madness took us to join a quest to Cirith Ungol still remains a mystery but nonetheless, a few weeks later I found myself alongside others fighting against the spawn of Ungoliant."

This last comment appeared to have made the maiden uneasy and Soronume promptly hesitated. Perhaps this wasn't a tale the maiden wished to hear of. Niniel shifted in her seat. "My lady, before I continue, that is you want me to do so, I can get you a drink? I know my own thirst is sizeable after such a journey."
Old 05-11-2003, 05:25 PM   #531
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Fawain and Lóthaniel sat for what had seemed like hours. Lóthaniel had pulled out a tattered old map of the blue mountains, it was faded and worn in places but the majority of it could still be made out. They had then poured over it discussing possible routes and plans for the rescue.

Lóthaniel looked up from the map to his companion, her soft grey/green eyes were lined with worry and her brow creased studying the map. At that moment he just wanted to scoop her up in his arms and tell her everything would be okay, but how could he let her know how he felt about her when they were just about to rush into danger.

He Suddenly realised that Fawain was talking to him, She hadn't looked up from studying the map but she was saying "It is getting late in the afternoon and we must think to getting provisions and packing for the morrows journey." "Yes, I think you are right" he said picking up the map and carefully folding it up and putting it into his breast pocket.

As Fawain stood up Lóthaniel took her arm gently and they left together to see too their gear.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:32 PM   #532
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Daethaur followed Fawain and Lothaniel out of the room. While they were sorting to their gear, he walked up to them and tapped Fawain on the shoulder. He felt silly, but also felt some sort of strange desire to find out what they were doing and help if possible.

"I noticed that you were examining a route through the Blue Mountains. I have lived there for many long years, and if you need a guide, I can help."
Old 05-11-2003, 09:45 PM   #533
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Niniel flushed, and nodded. Was she that obvious? It appeared so. Well, then, she'd simply have to control herself better. What was it about this inn that made her lose her guardedness. A tale like Soronume's wouldn't have made her blink in the old days.

Spawn of Ungoliant. Giant spiders. She shivered. Little, ordinary spiders were bad enough, but a spider big enough to eat her for breakfast was too awful a thought. Niniel steeled herself for the rest of the tale.

"Please, Sor--soronume. Con--continue." Thrice-cursed stutter.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:33 AM   #534
Wolf Larson
Pile O'Bones

Wolf Larson has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When Chali was quite through and ready for another day. He wandered out through the musty exit and down the lane.

About an hour or so later he returned, supporting a masive brown bag in his forearms, he propmtly took his load to the sanctitiy of his room.

Once safely inside, he took out a short silver knife and a knotted peice of wood, and began to whittle. Chali Whittled and whittled on that wood, until clearly visable was the form of a hobbit's head, and them the shape of a body was carved out and perfected.

He then went over his hobbit fixing the length of his nose and shortening his pipe handle. Until finally his creation was complete a 1/8 scale hobbit, as promised for the farmer's wood.

The finished hobbit set gently aside, he began to make carvings of other guests and people he had seen on the road this morning.
Hobbits, men, a few elf women, and some birds made it into his portrayals, all part of the massive place he called his world.

As he whittled his mind wandered back to days gone by when he was with the dwarves and when he and the stronger ones would spare off. Of sitting in the caves listening to the tales of former glory, of many great battles where Dwarven renown was won.

[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: Wolf Larson ]
Old 05-12-2003, 11:45 AM   #535
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Point of Information for posters:

At this point the Green Dragon Inn is in the Fourth Age, about year 13. Elessar is King. It is mid-summer (although the weather seems to be somewhat freakish, as we just had an unexpected snowstorm).

The Ban against Big Folk has been somewhat relaxed in the Shire for purposes of this 'game', and all sorts of creatures from Middle-earth are seen passing through the Shire and visiting the Inn.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Please remember to be familiar with the Rules for posting in the Shire games and Inn that are laid out in the Red Book of Westmarch - the first topic in the Shire forum.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #536
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Maegaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nahai shook herself out of her trance. She felt like she had been sitting at the bar, staring into space for days, yet it was still early or late morning. She looked down at the breakfast Annalalaith had ordered for her, taking a greatful bite. She was hungrier than she thought.

Chewing slowly, she looked back at the elven woman. Her new haircut suited her very well. The now-short strands of gold hung down into her face as she sat hunched over her sketchbook. Nahai took a quick peek over her shoulder at her latest creation. By Valar, that woman was an excellent artist. She stared down at her own hands, wondering if she could coax them to create such beautiful pictures. She seriously doubted it.

My, the inn seemed busy all of the sudden. Nahai was somewhat glad, as she felt that people were no longer staring at her as they were last night. The elf Nanna had returned, but she seemed to be busy elsewhere. Now everyone was paying attention to the new cook and a poor woman who had fainted the moment she walked in the door.

"Morwyn," she said, suddenly eager to start a conversation, "You said something yesterday about getting into a bit of mischief. What did you have in mind?" Taking a sip of her now-cold coffee, she waited for Morwyn's reply.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:58 PM   #537
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Annalaith continued to draw. Her fingers were black from the charcaol, her nails were black bracause of the charcoal. She looked up from her work, sensing that someone was watching her, snd saw Nahi looking over her shoulder. In a mischivious manner that shocked most that saw it she looked at her blackened fingers. With a devious smile she slapped herself leaving a hand print that remained on her already streaked face.

Annalaliath turned back laughing, the stinging in her cheek almost gone. The light in her blue-gray eyes would light up even the darkst of moods. She put down her sketch and her charcaol and looked at Morwen, " Yes what was that about mischif?"

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Annalaliath ]
Old 05-12-2003, 09:01 PM   #538
Arawethiel
Animated Skeleton

Arawethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arawethiel strode down the stairs with her pack slung across her shoulder. It was time for her to depart the Green Dragon and continue her duties as a messenger. She had already tarried long enough and surely the other villages were getting impatient to receive their letters from Bree.

She smiled to the patrons and waved good-bye to the new innkeeper that had taken up residence during her stay here. Perhaps on another visit Arawethiel would get to know Aman better. Taking one last glance around the room she strode out the door and began her journey anew. With a refreshed spirit Arawethiel tread on enjoying the warm summer day. She had a feeling that she would return to the Green Dragon once more and held no doubts that she would have another enjoyable stay.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:51 PM   #539
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Niniel tugged at her hair nervously. Soronume seemed safe to trust, but could she be sure? No one in her experience had been so easy with her, even when she did mindless things such as blurting out a question that could only have a painful answer. His story seemed to pain him almost as much as did his wound.

Niniel reached out her hand to him, stopping just short of putting it on his shoulder, then pulled it back with a jerk. Such a familiar gesture should only be used by a family member, or a close friend, she thought. She took a step back and blushed.

Soronume took her hand and gently pulled her back onto the seat. Gently. There had been precious little of that in her life. Last night and today had been the most confusing, and the most pleasant, she could remember.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:08 AM   #540
Snowdog

Sting

'Ah, from Rivendell.'

Lady Léspheria, spoke of the sons of Elrond, which he had not seen since the war. They had made the journey through the path of the dead and battled and won the fleet of Umbar with Aragorn, and though they were victorious over the darkness of Sauron, much pain still lingered, though mostly in memory. He looked to Lady Léspheria and said,

'How are the sons of Elrond? It has been long since I have seen or talked with them.'

Another came over to the table, and thinking he had not paid, he pointed to his name already signed and the amount paid.

'I only need the key for a room, for it has all been paid.'

Aman looked at him with a scowl, and and reluctantly nodded. Silvanis aquired a room key and Aman described its view and all, and Silvanis nodded and thanked her. He did then examine his remaining coinage and saw it was quite low, so he paid her for the second ale and stuffed the bag away.

Turning back to the fair elf Léspheria, and having the attention of Aman, both wishing to know my business in the Shire. For it seemed that ones business in a Shire Inn was to be everyones. Silvanis smiled and leaned back in his chair, taking a drink of his ale he then spoke.

'I have been up north, in the icy wastes hunting. It was a good hunt of the great white wolves that linger there, and I have many a skin and fresh meat packed. I am going south to trade them for goods uncommon here in the north, and will again return in two years time to the north. I have come west to this Inn, for rumor had it that it was the only part of the Shire open to men, and I always wished to see the land of the halflings. Usually I will be found at the Forsaken Inn east of Bree, though I hear there are plans to tear it down for a new east road.'

He stopped and sipped again his ale and looked about the Inn, which seemed filled with mostly fair women. Silvanis decided when he finished his ale he would retire to his room and clean up. But there was still plenty in his tankard. So he went on speaking,

'It has been a fair summer, yet a cold breath followed me down from the north, making this cold rain this day. But surely it will return to the seasons warmth come the morn, and maybe this fire wont be necessary.'

Silvanis asked if he could partake in another bowl if the Suthern Star, thinking he would use some of his last coinage to buy some while in the Shire.
~~`
(OOC: Thanks for the setting piosenniel. I qued on a previous post about the unseasonal weather and used it. I had not the time to read 14 pages of Inn talk since I will be on my way shortly.)
Old 05-13-2003, 01:54 AM   #541
The Daughter of Gollum and Shelob
Animated Skeleton

The Daughter of Gollum and Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Daughter of Gollum and Shelob
White-Hand

Nanna overheard their conversation. She remembered the fair faces of the sons of Elrond. The wonderful memories of Rivendell still floated in her head.

"The sons of Elrond, you say?" she asked. Aman looked at her crossly. "I have known them... and their sister, Arwen. Wonderful people, very."

Nanna also wondered what happened to the brothers after the war. "Does anybody know what happened to them after the war?"
Old 05-13-2003, 07:36 AM   #542
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

No, it couldn't be. He disappeared long ago on that night. But it was, Soronume.

Once more the door had opened and shut without Elwen realising but this time it had let Soronume in. He was seated not far away on a stool by the bar. Talking with another. Her face brightened at the thought of such a good, old friend. His Quest it seems had taken him futher than he thought. but no matter, he was back now.

With her usually fluid movement Elwen slid out of her chair at the corner table and floated over to the bar. Her footsteps making no sound. She stopped silently behind Soronume and smuthered a laugh with her hand. Elwen reached out to tap him on the shoulder but he was too quick for her.

He caught her hand in his, and turned setting deep piercing eyes on her. Elwen's eyes flashed with star light as she laughed.

"What gave me away old friend?" Elwen smiled as he released her from his grip and turned round to face her.

"I remember the sound of your footfall well." was his only answer before, indicating a seat on his left.

"Won't you join me?" Elwen spoke softly. "All of you?" now turning to the people that Soronume had been speaking with. "There is a table in the corner beside the fire. It is more comfortable than perched on stools at the bar, and there we can all introduce ourselves properly." Elwen smiled and gestered to the table she had just stood up from."
Old 05-13-2003, 08:21 AM   #543
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Feeling a gentle tap on her shoulder Fawain looked up from her pack. There before her stood a tall dark skinned man, clad in robes darker than the night sky itself, but it seemed to her that there was also a faint red glow about him.

"I noticed that you were examining a route through the Blue Mountains. I have lived there for many long years, and if you need a guide, I can help."

Hearing the man speak she suddenly realised she was staring at him. 'How rude of me' she thought feeling her cheeks burning with embaressment. But she had never meet anyone who looked quite like him before and she wasn't quite sure what to make of him. 'But we could use someone with knowledge of the mountains and he may even know of some secret ways we may have missed' she thought to herself. Finally convinced she reached out her hand saying "my name is Fawain and this is Lóthaniel of Rivendell, indeed we have an errand of great importance in the mountains and we...." Lóthaniel grabbed her arm, none to gently, stopping her from continuing. She looked at him more than a little annoyed that he had grabbed her so hard.

Lóthaniel had stood up when Fawain had introduced them, he too was staring at the unusual man before them. There was some familarity that he could not quite place, he watched the dark stranger as Fawain began to speak "indeed we have an errand of great importance in the mountains and we...". He grabbed her arm, a little harder than he had intended and the scowl on her face showed that she was not pleased, but he wanted to know more of this stranger before telling him of their errand and weather he could be trusted to be a reliable guide.

So turning back to the man he said "You said that you once lived there, but surely no man lives there through their own choosing,especially now that Skaikrish the Maimer resides there. So what brought you there and why did you leave?" Lóthaniel tried hard to keep the distrust from his voice and eyes, after all he had offered to help them.

Fawain suddenly realising Lóthaniel's reackoning, now felt slightly embaressed. She had almost blurted out every thing to a complete stranger. Again she was glad Lóthaniel was there to keep her right.

"And your name..., you have not yet given us your name" she added.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:06 AM   #544
Hapman

1420!

Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Hapman strolled back into the pub. He had fallen in love with the cheery atmosphere, and after sleeping outside that night, he needed a good ale. And some water.

"Aman," he shouted, trying to make himself heard. "Any chance of a basin of water?"

"Sure," she yelled back.

Soon, Hapman was washed and had a fresh ale, ready to irritate more gloomy customers. He had promised himself he'd only stay one more day here. Whether he'd keep that promise was yet to be seen.

He wandered up to an elf and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Niniel, wasn't it? I believe you wished to talk to me?" He held out a hand and shook her slender palm. "Can I buy you a drink?" he asked. "Oh, that reminds me. I must sell some more of those damn paintings. I need some more cash. I wonder if Aman would buy one? Well, anyhow, I'm Hapman." He turned to the bar and enquired Niniel's choice of drink.

Old 05-13-2003, 10:51 AM   #545
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Morwyn's eyes glittered as Nahai turned back to her. "Mischief..." she rubbed her hands together with anticipation. It had been so long since she just amused herself like a girl. But then she shook her head slowly. "I didn't have anything particular in mind. But I'm certainly in the mood to liven things up a little!"

Nahai put on a mock innocent face that wouldn't have fooled a two year old hobbit. Annalaliath and Morwyn giggled, Morwyn pushing her hair back out of her face. "You'll have to do better than that, friend, or we'll be caught before we've even begun!" Annalaliath said to her. "I've heard mischief-makers get set to washing dishes around here."

Nahai shrugged. "What's a few dishes in the name of good fun?" the three leaned over the table closely and spoke together in quiet voices.

As they spoke Morwyn grew more and more annoyed with the hair that slipped down in front of her eyes. Snatching her smooth stick from her pocket she pulled her hair back and secured it firmly. The other two girls shot her curious glances. "Now I'm ready." she grinned. "What shall we do?"
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 05-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #546
Animated Skeleton

White-Hand

Nanna, by this time seriously bored, decided to join the girls in their activities. She approached Morwyn and asked her, "Excuse me, if I were you, I would not move anywhere. Look outside."

She pointed a long, slender finger towards the window. The clouds were an angry black, and rain was hammering the windows.

"I suggest a game of Shire poker." Aman took out a neat pile of cards out of her pocket. They were a brilliant green. She began to shuffle harmonically. The others watched in silence.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:41 PM   #547
Maegaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Maegaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Shire poker?" Nahai repeated slowly, the unfamiliar name rolling awkwardly off her tongue. She looked to Aman, who was shuffling a deck of green cards. Nahai had seen men playing some sort of game with similar items before, and now she struggled to remember what it was they were doing. One man was yelling about being cheated out of his money.. Ah yes, it was a betting game. Money. Nahai's cheeks flushed red.

"I am somewhat shy of funds at the moment." she explained lamely. She needed all the money she had to pay for her stay at this inn, as well as any other establishment she happened upon on her quest. And as for betting items, she had little worth giving up save her ring, and there was no way in this world or the next that she'd risk losing that.

"Perhaps I'll watch, though," she said, suddenly feeling very alone. Her gaze drifted over to a dwarf that sat whittling miniature elves, hobbits, and men. He seemed to be thourgholy absorbed in his work, perhaps recalling the tales that went with each piece. Her green eyes widened as she saw how beautiful and intricate each carving was.

"You are very talented, Master Dwarf." she commented to him. "Do you make these for profit, or amusement?" Her cheeks once again flushed red as she realized her forewardness. "Forgive me for prying, good sir. I am Nahai. Of..." Her voice faltered. "Of the Beornings." The words sounded strange. But why should they? It was the truth. She should not try to hide her heratage, and people in this place (for the most part, anyway) seemed most open-minded. Besides, this dwarf was carving elves, an act that most dwarves would think most unspeakable. Therefore, he couldn't be that steriotypical, right? Hoping her fuzzy logic was somewhat on target, she waited for his response.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:35 PM   #548
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

While resting, Dalomy had very strange dreams.

I dreamed that I was on top of a grassy hill, covered in strange gold flowers. I was with my mother and brother on the top of this hill, but far beneath us, on the ground, were my father and two brothers. Rangers who were killed in battle. They looked at us as smiled. My father waved us to join him and I felt an overwhelming urge to, but my mothers hand wouldn't let me. But my brother was stronger than I and ran down to meet them, when a fog separated us and I could not see them anymore. The urge stopped and I looked at my mother who pushed me down the hill into the fog, then I saw no more.

Dalomy closed her journal and looked around her small inn room. It had been days since she'd ventured from it. Her arm was healing and was covered with clean white bandages. She did not feel dizzy anymore and could pace about her room. She made a quick decision and left out her door. It was time to start her quest proparly and have a good breakfast.

Many things were happening down in the common room. Lots of talking and drinking and music. Dalomy, suddenly remebering that she was far from anyone who loved her, was shy. She sat in a corner and closed her cload around her. She did not order yet, but she tried to hide herself from these strangers.

Could any of them know my brother? Or the cheif of the Dunedain? She wondered silently. She decided to hang back until she felt comfortable. Although the desire to start her search was tremedous, so was her fear.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 05-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #549
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"There is a table in the corner beside the fire. It is more comfortable than perched on stools at the bar, and there we can all introduce ourselves properly." spoke Elwen softly.

Soronume's heart lightened at the sight of his old friend. He stood and nodded to Elwen with a smile, and then turned to Niniel. "Would you care to join us my'lady? It would be a great pleasure, for the Lady Elwen here is an old and great friend of mine, from when I was here once before." Niniel seemed still nervous, but the sight of Soronume's smile seemed to comfort her as she realised she had caused him no great lasting pain.

She stepped forward with Soronume and Elwen, only to be disturbed by another character who caught her attention by tapping her shoulder then continuing to talk on. The maiden didn't appear to know this figure so Soronume stepped in.

"Excuse me sir, this lady already has a drink, there is no need for a another. Not yet." The man turned back to Soronume and Niniel. Elwen too had stopped not far behind them but was now making her way back to Soronume and his new friend.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:43 PM   #550
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Lésheria was not suprised by Silvanis's question as she was just thinking that he had the look of the dúnedain about him, but she was not entirely sure. But before she could answer Nanna approached them saying "The sons of Elrond, you say", "I have known them... and their sister Arwen". Now this totally suprised her she did not recognise the elf and she thought she would have remembered if this one had visited Rivendell, but there again the Elven lords travelled much and met many other travellers.

"The Lords spend much time in Gondor at the council's of King Elessar" she told them. Thinking quickly that she didn't what to be asked any questions regarding the boring details of council she decided to lighten the mood. "but it's all just a rouse, so that they can check up on their beloved sister" she laughed lightly. "But they still ride with the Dúnedain especially the ones that returned to Annúminas when it was rebuilt." she added smiling remembering the countless adventures she and her brother had had with the Rangers.

Even as she smiled a sadness could be seen in her grey eyes, as she remembered that her Brother and her good friend Fawain and some of those same Rangers would soon be riding into Danger and she had to just wait for their return.

As She listened to Silvanis's tale she quickly scanned the room, looking for the pair. but they were already gone, she knew they had not yet left the inn as they would not leave without saying goodbye. they must be packing she thought to herself.

She turned back to Silvanis giving him her full attention, this man intrigued her, she wished to know more of his tale. She noted that Nanna and Aman had left to play shire poker. She could contain her suspicions no longer "are you of the Dúnedain?" she bluntly blurted out, she lowered her head and blushed embarrassed saying softly "I'm sorry for prying but it is just that you have that look about you".
Old 05-13-2003, 04:51 PM   #551
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Daethaur. Daethaur is my name. Indeed, I have not heard of this Skaikrish. When I was last in the Blue Mountains, the High Elves and Rangers were hunting the Orcs from the mountains. They must have missed something if the mountains are infested once again."

"I left the mountains because I had lived there long enough. It must have been thousands of years since I entered it."

"So what brought you there", he pondered that point for a moment. He had already given away his age. He couldn't claim to be a Man. An Elf was doubtable. He might as well tell them. "I was one of those Ainur who foolishly fell into the service of Melkor before the Ages of the Sun. I fled from his service shortly before the Great Battle, and lived in the Blue Mountains since then."

"There are many and great passages there, far below even the ruins of Nogrod and Belegost. The Orcs do not even know they exist. These you could possibly use to reach any part of the mountains with great speed."
Old 05-13-2003, 05:03 PM   #552
The Harpest

Sting

Opening the door timidly, rosy cheeked lady poked her head around the door to take a peek around the Inn. With a tiny curve of her lips, she stepped inside and almost laughed aloud with delight. She leaped aside from the doorway to make room for others coming in, clasped her hands in front of her and was surprised at how dirty her dress had already become. The soft, flowing material of her pink dress had been torn and splattered with mud, but unfortunately was still quiet recognizable as having once been pink.

With a little trill, she approached the bar and asked for some water, reminding herself that her coin purse was light. She sipped her water and thought of all that had happened to her, though she had been gone but two days. More excitement than she had had her whole life. She wanted to be sure to remember these events, even if she was caught in the end and since she was never taught properly how to write she would have to improvise. Finding a seat and flipping back her auburn hair, she pulled a piece of charcoal she had found out of the little leather bag she carried. With the paper under her hands, she made the first line and began drawing the inn and it's inhabitants. Already, carefully folded away in her bag, she had her drawings of her first night in the woods and the market where they had accused her of stealing.

While she was drawing, she paused to wondered if maybe the man from the market was here. There were many people, and some of them cloaked, it was hard to tell but it would have been quite the coincidence had he been. She had a picture of him too, as he confronted the vile merchant. As she remembered the event, she frowned, remembering how she had never gotten the opportunity to thank him and he deserved her thanks if not more.

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: The Harpest ]

Old 05-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #553
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Fawain looked to Lóthaniel totally convinced of Daethaur's explaination, she hoped that Lóthaniel's mistrust would not deny them this great advantage, to her suprise Lóthaniel was laughing "Indeed truely you are a gift from Eru himself" he laughed "Come join us for our evening meal and you can tell us more of these secret ways, and we can tell you why we journey to the mountains."

The three of them entered the common room, "I've been told the soup is good" Fawain laughed spying the bowls of steaming hot wild mushroom and nettle soup now at the end of the bar. They took their soup and some bread and sat down at the nearest empty table.

While eating Lóthaniel and Fawain recounted the tale of how Skaikrish had escaped from mordor, killed Fawain's mother, A Ranger of Ithilien. Then of how Fawain had killed Skaikrish's Mate and how he now held her father, A captain of the Dúnedain rangers of Annúminas. As Lóthaniel finnished the tale Fawain lowered her head hopeing that neither companion would she her tears.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:52 PM   #554
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Niniel smiled shyly at the newcomer. Soronume had called her Lady Elwen. Did that mean the elf was nobility? Hopefully not. Niniel had no idea how to act with her if she was noble. She envied the beautiful woman, who was so familiar with Soronume.

Not that Niniel was unnattractive herself. Her hair was long and thick, a rich mahogany brown. Her face was heart-shaped and perpetually melancholy. Her lambent blue eyes sparkled, but the glitter seemed to be unshed tears rather than merriment.

She was almost grateful to Soronume for intervening, for she had no longer any idea what she would say to the omnicheerful Hapman. Indeed, she found him somewhat overwhelming. Soronume's gentle smile was soothing, Hapman's wide grin was almost frightening. At least to Niniel, who expected cruelty from the stronger as a matter of course. And Hapman was, indeed most men were, much stronger than the petite Niniel.

She slid into the seat that Soronume held out for her and smiled again. This time, her smile held more relief than nervousness. Elwen had welcomed her as Soronume had. Niniel's fears of being shunned by the people in the inn were slowly dying.

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Old 05-13-2003, 09:28 PM   #555
gothmog35

Sting

Outside the Inn a cold northern wind was blowing and a thick fog was moving in as well. The patrons standing outside didn't even notice the dark cloaked man until he was less than a meter away.

Startled, one of the men drew his blade and demanded the stangers name. " Peace friend", the stranger said. " My name is Angrod and I come from the lands North and West of, what you know of as, Erebor. My people were once part of the tribes you now know of as the horse-lords of Rohan. I am journeying to the edges of the Western sea and am in look of shelter for a while. Have I found such a place or am I to move on through the night"?

The startled man then put away his blade and spoke. " Nay, anyone who comes in peace is welcome. Go now and warm yourself and gain your rest."

" I thank you and indeed I shall. Farewell for now." Angrod spoke as he stepped out of the cold and entered into the warm inn.

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: gothmog35 ]

Old 05-14-2003, 03:50 AM   #556
Animated Skeleton

White-Hand

Nanna, still shuffling the cards, saw the man. He was strikingly handsome. She wondered if he would play poker with them too.

"Excuse me," sha asked. "Would you like to play Shire poker with us?"

The wind outside was whistling loudly. Nanna started dealing out the cards to Nahai and the other girls who were present beforehand. The green of the cards resembled that of the clothing of the man. Nanna looked at him with awe, biting her lip with shyness.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:57 AM   #557
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ahh the table. Elwen gently ran her hand across the worn surface and wondered how long it was that she had sat here.

Elwen flicked her dark hair out of face. the plait done so swiftly before was coming out and loose hair was falling in waves framing her face. Elwen smiled at the new comer seated with her and Soronume. Elwen studied the maiden for a moment, the maiden was pretty. Elwen sighed out of contentment and pleasure. Her eyes of blue sparkled with star light as she realised she finally had something to do. Introductions then!

"I am Elwen, a maiden of the stars as my name implys but i am of no noble line for i do not truly belong on this earth. Soronume was just being polite as always." smiled Elwen at the two before her reading the maidens thoughts. "Greetings and welcome to the inn, i hope your stay is long and happy. There are many good friends to meet here. None will ignore you, though a good many may not introduce themsleves, when you speak to them they are friendly enough."

Elwen looked round the table. Who would go next she wondered. New people always interested Elwen but this maiden especially. Soronume had a way of choosing friends and she wondered what it was about this maiden that had caught his eye.

[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 05-14-2003, 09:00 AM   #558
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Niniel felt an inward surge of relief at Elwen's words. So she wasn't noble. And there seemed to be nothing more between Elwen and Soronume than friendship.

"I--I'm--you can call me Niniel. I was--well, I was liv--staying in the mountains, I'm--I'm not entirely sure which--which ones. Then the orcs--there were so many. So I left. And I--I came here." Niniel inwardly cursed herself for sounding like such a half-wit. She studied the top of the table intently. Surely Elwen would look down on her now.

Instead, Elwen smiled. "You are welcome here, Niniel. Won't you tell us more of yourself?"

Niniel looked back at Elwen. This was too much for her to understand. Welcome? Her? The idea was completely foreign to her. She was a thief, though admittedly she avoided using her skills when possible. She was a stranger.

Niniel had been alone for years. The welcome of these people overwhelmed her. The tears that before had been merely hinted became a reality. She didn't sob or cry out. The tears simply welled up and spilled over her cheeks.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:13 AM   #559
Snowdog

Tolkien

"are you of the Dúnedain?" the lady Lésheria asked, then looking apologetic. Silvanis looked at her gently and said,

'Worry not of your questions, for if the answer I wish not to give, I will not. But you are perceptive, for I am of the line of Halvaris, who was a guardsman of King Arvedui of old and who was lost upon the ice with him.'

He did not speak of more of his line, for there could still be some hard feelings between the elves of Rivendell and his father. But surely in these times after the defeat of Sauron there could be peace? He had never found any news of what happened to his father and only got ill looks when his name was mentioned in Rivendell.

Silvanis went in a little more of himself to Lésheria...

'Though the line was thought lost, it had come to be that Sían, daughter of the Chieftan of the Lossoth, conceived and bore a son. The birth of the boy Sívaril was spoke over by the chieftan that so the doom rested upon his father, so to it would rest upon the line. This is family lore passed down through the many generations since the time of King Arvedui, yet in so much it holds true of the fate of my fathers. Yet, as the line of Elendil persevered through the years to King Elessar, so to does the line of Halvaris, from father to son.'

It was good to hear of the brothers Elladan and Elrohir, and he would have to call upon the King sometime. But the thought of the war and the death would come, and though he wondered of the other Rangers he rode with, thoughts always come back to Halbarad, and his brother Hayna, and not remember the glorious triumph upon the Anduin and the Pelennor fields.

Silvanis brushed his long greying locks from his face, realizing he was dwelling in his mind wit this fair company there, and he looked at the Lady Lésheria and apologized.

'Pardon my lapse m'lady, for I have not been around people in many a month. Do tell me of yourself if you wish it.'

Silvanis sipped his ale, watching the features of her face as she pondered his words.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:20 AM   #560
Hapman

1420!

Hapman snapped his arm down by his side and nodded at Niniel. He thought her rather rude to talk to her then snub him like this. But he couldn't show it.

Just keep smiling, he thought to himself. Go talk to Aman. She'll calm you down.

He marched off to the bar and sat down rather heavily. Aman looked over at him. He looked back, feeling a flutter in his stomach. Turning round and staring at the counter, he prayed she'd come over.