The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Where is the horse and the rider?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Where is the horse and the rider, <BR>Where is the horn that was blowing,<BR>They have passed like rain on the mountain, <BR>Like wind in the meadow, <BR>The days come down in the west, <BR>Behind the hills, to shadow... <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What do you think this poen means?
Old 02-22-2003, 07:52 PM   #2
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Possibly it means that, like Gondor of old, the power of Rohan is diminshing and <I>(at the time the quote is said both in the film-Theoden and the book-Aragorn)</I> times look dark. The power and splendour of the horse lords of old is gone. Eorl and his mount are dead, the horn of Helm blows no more (metaphorically).<P>well thats my opinion.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Well, they sing it in the book, perhaps you would like to look it up in the index. It is clearly sung by the Rohirrim, mourning a great lord, fallen in battle. I believe that it is mourning the coming of the shadow through Saruman, and the passing of the greatness of the mark. I'm not sure if you had it in full, if not, here it is.<P>Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?<BR> Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?<BR> Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?<BR> Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?<BR> They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;<BR> The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.<BR> Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,<BR> Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?
Old 02-23-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nothing much to add to this thread, except to say that the above is one of the few poems where Tolkien earns his reputation as a bard. <P>I'm thinking that there is a name for a poem of this style, and it is of ancient origins (not the poem itself, but the style). Any info? Or maybe that question should be in the Books threads.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #5
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

It reminds me of a Norse style, but I can't think of the name.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:05 PM   #6
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That poem gives me chills, thanks for posting it in full. It sounds alot like a lament of cultural loss and of a tide that has gone out never to return.<p>[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:16 PM   #7
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I loved that poem...it was definatly one of my favorites. Whenever I read it I think of something that was but is no more...just a part of their folklore. <P>Tolkien sure was a master of his craft...I'm sure you all agree.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 02:01 PM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*bursts into tears* <P>i always cry at things like that... i cried during the movie.<BR>i have a very strong sense of cultural loss: the whole nordic and celtic sense has died out in our world, but its the heritage i love most. the poem is kinda part of that culture and heritage, right? the whole nordic/rohirric relation? makes it much sadder for me.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:29 AM   #9
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Yes, it is definantly a line that shows Theoden knows many Rohirrim will die in the upcoming battle; thus, he is singing a song of mourning before it happens. He must be very depressed.<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 04:34 AM   #10
Brigid de Burgo

Shield

It's highly reminiscent of the Anglo-Saxon poem "The Wanderer". Here's a fragment:<P>"Where now is the warrior? Where is the warhorse?<BR>Bestowal of treasure and sharing of feast?<BR>Alas! the bright ale-cup, the byrny-clad warrior, <BR>The prince in his splendor--those days are long sped<BR>In the night of the past, as if they had never been!"<BR>And now remain only, for warriors' memorial, <BR>A wall wondrous high with serpent shapes carved.<P>******<BR>This is from the Charles W. Kennedy translation in my Medieval English Lit. textbook from 1972--one of the main reasons I've kept the book so many years.<P>A quick search on the Web didn't produce that translation but many other results worth a look, including "The Wanderer Project": <A HREF="http://www.uvsc.edu/courseinfo/engl/mcdonari/wanderweb/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.uvsc.edu/courseinfo/engl/mcdonari/wanderweb/</A> <P>There's much more to discuss, but I must needs gird myself for the quest for sustenance (that is, get ready for work!) <P>Many thanks to Peter Jackson & his crew for letting us hear those stirring words & showing us the "wall wondrous high with serpent shapes carved".
Old 04-03-2003, 04:46 AM   #11
secretfire
Pile O'Bones

secretfire has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Aside from being a poem of foreboding and evanescence, couldn't it also be a call to arms to the people of Rohan? All the asking in the poem (Where? Where? Who?) may have been meant to rouse the Rohirrim from their lethargy and face war head on. To war! Because unless someone fights for whatever beauty is left in Middle Earth, everything will fall to ruin...<p>[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: secretfire ]