Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

NEW INNKEEPER STORYLINE

Amanaduial's post:

Aman sighed with relief as she came to the gates of Bree. She had travelled from Rohan, not a short or easy journey by any means. Knocking on the door with her oak staff, she shivered slightly in the rain, pulling her grey cloak a little tighter around her slim body. After a second, a flap in the gates snapped back to reveal part of the pudgy watchmans face inside.

"What is your business here, young missus?" His homely voice asked routinely. Aman smiled. The watchmen didnt change much, even over all the years since she had last visited this part of the woods.

"My name is Aman. I am travelling to the Shire to see an old friends and, quite possibly, some new ones as well." Aman smiled as she said this. Pio was indeed an old friend, the pair had known each other for a long time, and the Innkeeper had sent a message to Aman when she had been in Rohan, telling her of her pregnancy. She had anticipated her calling on her some time in the future and so had set out towards the Shire some time ago, in a rather slow and rambling way. The gatekeeper eyed the young woman once more, trying to see her face more clearly under the grey hood which Aman had pulled up against the rain. After a second he nodded.

"Alright then, miss. If you're looking for a place to stay, the Pony is still as excellent a place as ever to stay." The gate door swung open and she walked in. The rain chose this moment to start coming down full pelt, forcing Aman to run, clutching at her staff in one hand and keeping her hood up with the other. She made her way through the slippery, cobbled streets by memory, stopping outside an old building. Glancing up against the onslaught, she was relieved to see the sign of the Prancing Pony being battered by the wind and the rain. Sighing with relief, the young woman pushed open the door of the Inn with her staff and stepped inside, lowering her grey hood to let out a mass of nut brown hair and reveal bright green eyes, set in a pale, slim face.

"Butterbur, could I have a room for a few nights please?" She inquired at the desk. The homely looking old innkeeper squinted through his glasses at her for a moment, then recognised her.

"Aman! Aye, of course, anything for an old aquaintance. How many nights may I ask?"

A cheer from the other side of the bar caught Aman's attention, and she saw a young hobbit climb precariously onto a table, supported by a few friends. His righted himself cleared his throat, using his mug of beer to gesture wildly as he spoke.

"I would like to make a toast!" He called out over the room. The men and hobbits alike cheered wildly at this, all generally happy. Aman was curious; it was evident there had already been an announcement of some kind in the bar that night, for the merrymakers had to have been here for a while to get so red faced. The hobbit seemed encouraged by this cheer and, beaming, he went on. "I would like to make this toast to the good lady Piosenniel of the Green Dragon in the Shire!"

More wild cheering, quieted down by the hobbit. Aman smiled; she knew what was coming next. "For, as you have all heard earlier....Pio is expecting! Twins, no less!"

This time the cheering was almost deafening. The hobbit raised his mug in the air, spilling half the contents in the process and called over the cheers, "To the lady innkeeper of the Dragon and her twins!"

"I will heartily second that," Aman murmered, before turning her attention back to Butterbur, still waiting expectantly for her answer. "Could I have a room for, ooh, three nights?"

"You can, Aman. Just along the corridor, turn right-"

"-And its the second door on your left." Aman finished, grinning, and took the key from the innkeeper. "Just one more thing please Butterbur: could you send a message to Piosenniel of the Dragon, telling her I'm here?"

"Can do, Miss, can do. Anything else?"

"No, thankyou, that will be everything. I think I'll just retire to bed, I think. Goodnight." Smiling once more at the innkeeper, Aman took a candle offered by the innkeeper, and went to her room, still smiling. Looking out of the window in the direction of the Shire through the dark night, she fancied she could see the lights of the Green Dragon there. She nodded in a small salute and sighed.

"Sleep well, Pio. Soon I will come to you." She murmured, before retiring to bed.