User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2004, 03:46 AM   #361
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
GREEN DRAGON INN FACTS:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff from Bywater and Postmaster for this area of the Shire; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Fredgar Hornblower – local Shiriff from Hobbiton – played by Fool of a Took

Please Note:

No 'SAVES' are allowed in the Inn.

With the exception of the Innkeeper and the Moderators, no OOC (Out Of Character) comments are allowed in the Inn.

Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.

Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

Please be familiar with the rules for the Inn and Games in The Red Book of Westmarch, the first topic in the Shire.

IT IS NOW AFTERNOON IN THE SHIRE. THE WEATHER IS PLEASANT.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-22-2004 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:46 AM   #362
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Newcomers to the Inn

Please note the Inn Facts at the top of the page. They will clue you in to what is going on.

Before you post, please also read a number of the posts previous to yours so that you will get the flavor of what other characters are doing.

Brief Synopsis

About a week ago, game time, there was a devastating fire at the Inn. The structure was destroyed, and now the workers at the Inn and the villagers and patrons of the Green Dragon are lending their skills to rebuild it.

The foundation stonework is being redone, as is the framing for the main structure of the Inn.

Items are being salvaged as possible, new tables and chairs are being built, shingles for the roof are being fashioned. There is a cooking fire in the yard, and food is being made there for the workers. Tents have been set up, and some folk are staying in the stable.

Come in and lend a hand.

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-22-2004 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:20 AM   #363
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Aman

Aman shrugged hopelessly, thinking of the twisted, charred metal, barely resembling the splendid goblets they had been, which she had given to Regin. "I don't see why not - I wish you luck in whatever you endevour to do with them." Cook is going to kill me... she added privately before rising and excusing herself to Regin so both could go about their work.

"Is there somewhere I can get a drink? I have travelled quite a distance to sample some of your fine ale. I would be glad to help you as well, but I wish to quench my thirst at the moment..." The unfamiliar voice outside alerted Aman and she popped her head out of a half-desicated window to see who the owner was.

"Good day, sir," she called, and the newcomer started, turning with surprise to see the Innkeeper's head from inside the charred building, before she swung through and, brushing herself down briefly, approached the green clad figure. "Thank you for your offer of help - most of the drinks were rescued from the fire, aye, but there is little time to sample most of them. But hospitality in the 'Dragon can remain somewhat - if you are quite sure of your offer of help, I would be glad to give you a free drink to quench your thirst."
Old 02-22-2004, 08:41 AM   #364
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Fungrim breathed a sigh of relief when Regin departed to oversee the work of his corps of hobbit assistants. It appeared that he need not worry about the other dwarf bothering him about his past, and as long as this was the case Fungrim would be happy to have a talk with a fellow kinsman. It had been long indeed since he had last engaged in any sort of disscusion, and he actually found himself wondering wether he would still be able to keep up anything even remotelly like a disscusion.

"Excuse me, sir dwarf." A small girls voice said. He turned to face the child he had saved from the burning inn, now even more startled than during his exchange with Regin. He wasnt used to being talked to. He did not even try to stop the little smile creeping onto his lips.
"Yes, little miss, can I help you?" he asked warmly.

The girl blushed and stammered something that he could not make out. Suddenly she threw herself at him and hugged him with all the strength of her little arms. Fungrim was absolutelly stunned at this point. "You saved me! Thank you! Thak you!". He patted her clumsilly on the back, an akward chuckling escaping his throat.
"Whats your name?". The girl asked, all smile.
"Who, me?". He asked, quite bewildered by all the social activity that seemed to come to him on this fair morning. He managed to gather a few of his scattered wits and spoke again. "I am Fungrim. What is your name, little lady?".
"I'm Hindolen, but you can just call me Indy. Are you going to help make the foundation?" she asked with curiosity.

"Yes, I am. But not yet, too many people are still asleep. Too bad they're not more like you in wakin' up!" his rather clumsy attempt at humouring the child sounded strange in his ears. It had been what, ten years, when he had last even talked to a child.

"Really? I want to learn all about the stone and the foundation and everything! I know I'm really small and just a girl...but do you think I could help? I can carry your tools for you, and I fit in little spaces really good and I can get you lunch and I can even shade you from the sun and...." His head was begining to swim from her quick, curious questions. He glanced at her, measurring her.

"What?" she asked sweetly.

"Slow down, lass, before ye talk yerself dumb!" He said and smiled, indicating that it was a joke. He turned serious once more.
"Yes, ye could help me. My ken on masonry is not as great as that of Regin," he nudged his head into the direction of the other dwarf. "..but I do know a thing or two about stone, if I say so meself. Tell you what, Indy. You can start to help me by carrying my tools, fetching water or taking messages to Regin as the need arises. I'll try to teach ye a few things as we work."

He took a big breath of leaf-smoke and blew a neat little smoke ring that dangled in the air above the girls head. "Well start as soon as Ive finished my smoke, allright?".
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro
Old 02-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #365
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril Galadel

The Lady Galadel had not moved from the shadows of the stable where she had been standing for the past half hour or so. With her elvish hearing she hadbeen able to fully hear the conversation between Snaveling, Tobias, and Roa. She had smiled to herself as Roa went off to work, while Snaveling had been left to rest, a suprised look upon his face. "Ah, yes, Snaveling," Galadel thought to herself, "Roa and I are truly are not as mean and cruel as you and Tobia think that we are."

Removing herself from the shadows, the elf crossed the yard to where Tobias and Snaveling sat together, not yet speaking. "Good morning," Galadel said quitely as she stood behind them. Tobais turned quickly to look back at her, yet the man did not move at all, he did not need to, he knew who it was.

Sitting down quickly beside the troubled man, Galadel spoke to him, "How are you feeling this morning, Snaveling? Are your dreams still haunting you?"

Snaveling, amazed turned to face the elf. "How...but...how could you know of what I dream, elf?" the man said tiredly.

"I do not need sleep myself, so I often wander around the gardens and sometimes even around the stables of the Green Dragon. I heard you yell last night and the night before that in your sleep. Do you not remember me singing to you, trying toease your nightmares?" Galdadel replied, her gentle eyes staring not the man next to her.

Confused, the man tried to decipher the strange memories that had made up his last few nights. Singing...singing..., he thought...and then he remembered.

*Note to Game Owner and Moderators: I have recieved permission from Fordim Hedgethistle to use his character in this post.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 02-22-2004, 01:47 PM   #366
SneakyHobbit

Pipe

The man turned to the young woman who had bid him good day, and listened to what she told him. "Well, it is good news indeed that your drinks have been saved! Thank you for your welcome and generosity. My name is Aidan. I will take your kind offer, and give you all the help I can." Aidan was brought a mug of ale, and he took a deep draft of the drink, and smiled.

"This is surely some of the best ale I have tried in a long while!" Aidan said happily to innkeeper. He took another drink. "Aah! Very good. I shall keep this with my while I work. Now where can I be of most help? I am skilled at carving, but can do whatever you need me too." He waited readily for the woman's response. Aidan had traveled by himself for many moons, never staying in one place for long. He looked forward to finally having a sense of being part of a community.

Old 02-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #367
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Aman

Aman took Aidan's hand warmly. "Welcome indeed to the Shire, sir. Come, inside is a....n individual called Regin Hardhammer; he is in charge of the practical overseeing inside, so to speak."

As she led the man around to get in the easier way, she added. "Oh, and be careful of low-flying beams. More deadly than the nazgul when in the hands of hobbits!" she grinned. "You caught us at a rather bad time, Aidan - the Green Dragon recently suffered a fire, and we have had to start again in some ways - well, as you can see," she continued, gesturing around the Common Room as they passed through it towards Regin, who came down from his platform to see them.

"Regin," Aman greeted him once more, then indicated the man who had followed her. "Regin Hardhammer, this is Aidan; he has offered his help...."
Old 02-22-2004, 04:10 PM   #368
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Reign

Reign wiped the sweat from her face with one grimy hand, leaving a streak of dirt down her left cheek. She settled wearily down to the ground on the other side of the road and rested her back against a giant knotted oak. She closed her eyes, which were red and swollen from the heat and ash. Reign’s head hummed with the excitement of the events that had taken place recently, and she tried to sort them all out.

She had woken early the day of the fire, probably because she had gone to bed so early the previous night. For a long time Reign had lain still in the dark, peacefully listening to the moaning of the wind outside her window. But just as the sun was turning the sky to liquid gold, a shout came from the floor below. “Fire! Help!”

It took had taken moment for a drowsy Reign to realize what had been said, but then she leapt out of bed. The girl shivered as her bare feet hit the cold floor. Grabbing her robe off the floor, Reign pulled it on and raced from the room. Others were stirring now, blinking owlishly as they poked their heads out the door. Reign rushed down the stairs, and gasped at what she saw.

Angry red flames ravaged the kitchen and were beginning start on the common room floor. People rushed around with buckets of water and wet sacks, calling out for help. Of all the rotten luck… she thought, and then raced to help the others.

It had taken most of the morning, but the flames were finally expired. The inn was badly damaged, and most of her things were gone. It wasn’t like she had much anyway. Reign opened her eyes. It had been almost a week since the fire, and things were just now calming down enough for her to find the time to think.

Reign was surprised at her own sense of loss for the inn. After all, she had only been there barely one afternoon. But, although it was hard to see, she was a sensitive girl, and quick to recognize when something was good and precious. The inn had been a good thing, and deep inside of Reign she ached with the loss of it.

But she also knew that the Green Dragon could be rebuilt, if they all worked together and helped each other. And she had every intention of doing just that.

------------
Flyte

Flyte ran down path that led from their own little cottage to the woods behind the famous (at least in these parts) Green Dragon Inn. She was looking for the source of the whips of smoke that she had just spotted above the tree line. There weren’t that many houses between theirs and the inn, and everyone’s she passed were perfectly in tact. She ran on, her feet brushing the ground so lightly they seemed hardly to touch at all.

Far too soon for her liking, the little girl began to tire. Her face was set in a deep scowl as she stopped to rest on a dead tree stump. Flyte could normally out-run any boy for miles around, but, as Granny kept reminding her, she was still weak from being sick.

For the past two weeks, her body had raged with a fever that had kept her in bed the whole time. About three days ago the fever had broken, but she still had a great deal less energy than usual.

Flyte tucked the loaf of bread back under her arm and went on. As she rounded the next-to-last curve, her stomach sank with disappointment. It was nothing but a big bonfire! She stopped in the middle of the road, and blinked her big blue eyes. This was very frustrating.

Flyte walked slowly on down the path. She had decided to go see the inn before returning to her grandmother. The little girl liked to sit and stare at painting of the dragon on the inn sign, and make up stories about it. Flyte had a very vivid imagination.

She came round the last curve, and was perfectly horrified to find half the inn missing! “Oh, wow,” she breathed, her eyes going round as saucers. Here was a fire, if she ever wanted one! Of course, it was out now, but the damage left in its wake was almost as startling for Flyte.

Most of the lower floor was burned to the ground, leaving piles of rubble instead of bright kitchens and spotless floors. People were rushing around every which way, shouting to each other and carrying building materials. “They’re fixing it,” she mused out loud.

Flyte spotted a woman she knew to be the innkeeper Aman. She hurried over to her, and noticed how tired and worn she looked. “Miss Aman,” she said shyly, then, a bit louder, “Miss Aman?” The lady turned to look at her. She was a pretty little girl of about six years, with long blonde curls and starry blue eyes. “Granny told me this to give this to you, if you want it.” Flyte extended the loaf of bread. “What happened here? Was there a fire?” Her voice was a mixture of concern and excitement.

Aman smiled down at her and took the bread. “Yes, dear, there was - a very, very big one. Hadn’t you heard about it?”

Flyte shook her head. “I don’t think so. It must have happened while I was sick, and Granny hasn’t let me outside at all until today.”

“Oh, I’m sorry you were sick,” The innkeeper said absently. Her mind had already moved on to something else. “Well, tell your grandmother I said ‘thank you’ for the bread.” She moved off to speak to someone else.

Flyte stood to one side, watching a man mix mortar. She squinted against the bright sun, surprisingly warm for an October day. She stood and watched the rhythmic pumping of his arms, up and down, up and down…
Old 02-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #369
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Winterhart -

DO NOT POST IN THE INN AGAIN, WITHOUT FIRST SENDING ME BY PM YOUR POST TO REVIEW.

THERE IS TO BE NO VIOLENCE IN THE INN OR ON INN GROUNDS.

YOU ALSO NEED TO READ THE SHIRE'S POSTING RULES AND THE POSTS ON THIS PAGE TO GET A HINT FOR WHAT IS GOING ON AT THE INN.

ANY FURTHER POSTS BY YOU IN THE INN WILL BE DELETED.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 AM   #370
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Regin Hardhammer

“Hello Aidan, a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” said the Dwarf politely as he extended his short muscular arm. Aidan smiled and grasped the dwarf’s hand and shook firmly. Regin liked this man; he seemed friendly and genuine. “We greatly appreciate your help fine sir in rebuilding the Green Dragon. The folk here might not be the sharpest, but I think you will find them welcoming and kind hearted. Nevertheless, I would advise you to watch out for falling beams or stones, there seem to be a lot of them around here.”

“What would you like to like to do? You don’t happen to be skilled in masonry do you? That would be the most fortunate if you knew a thing or two about stone. We could use some assistance on finishing the foundation. Your services are also needed in the construction of the fireplace in the commons, constructing the gates, or fashioning beams for the building. Wherever you choose to help, we will be very grateful.”

“I would love to stay and show you around, but I simply do not have the time. I can not begin to tell you how much work it is being in charge of reconstructing this Inn. I now have a new found appreciation for sleeping. Now I if you excuse me I have some business to attend to.”

With that the Dwarf left Amman and Aidan standing by the entrance to the Inn now under construction. The building was beginning to take shape and Regin thought that it would not be a long way off until its completion. Now is the time for my project he thought. I best get started so that the task will be completed before the reopening party. Won’t they all be surprised when they see it, he chuckled to himself and went off to work on his plan in secret.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:49 AM   #371
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Snaveling and Toby enjoyed their pipes in something that was apparently rare for Toby – silence – for he was the first to break it. “Well, Mister Snaveling, this is quite a rare treat for you, I daresay: a day without labour! What are we to do?” Snaveling thought on this for a moment before speaking – a habit that he wished Toby would learn from him soon.

“Well master hobbit, if you are up to a brief walk I thought that we could check my traps for game. You needn’t worry,” he said quickly in response to the look of alarm on the gentlehobbit’s face, “we won’t be going far. Indeed, I have been forbidden by My Lady Roa from wandering beyond the grounds of the Inn.” He glowered darkly at her where she worked at the Inn. “Fortunately for us, there is plenty of good game right around here.” Together they got up and wandered around the edges of the yard, peering into the small copses and bushes together to see if Snaveling’s traps had caught anything. They soon had a number of pheasant and quail that had been captured in the springes and Toby was fair dancing with glee at the thought of roast squab for dinner.

Snaveling’s mind was taken up with more than collecting his prey, though. Even as he moved about the yard he could feel the eyes of Roa and Galadel following him, and the things they had said to him at breakfast rang unsettlingly in his ears. The threat of being taken to Minas Tirith – to the very seat of the King of Gondor himself! – had shaken him to the core. He had heard of the White City and of how it was a virtual mountain itself made by the Men of old who had taken the land from Snaveling’s ancestors, and he had little desire to go there. But if what Roa had said was true, and there were a way to address the wrongs done to his people by her King…but he shook that thought from his mind as impossible. What strange power does that Woman have over me that she can cause me even to consider travelling there? he asked himself. As for that Elven woman… his thoughts trailed off into troubled silence. Despite the lie he had told Galadle, he did recall the singing that had come to him, easing his terror. He looked toward the Elf slyly as he thought of her and, sure enough, her eyes were on him again. He knew that she had not been fooled by his denials, but he did not want to give her the satisfaction of seeing how she had effected him with her revelation. He scowled at her ferociously, and immediately felt foolish for doing so.

All the while that Snaveling was lost in his thoughts, Toby had been running on about the Shire and its ways. He had taken to pointing out all the hobbits about the yard to whom he was related – which was most of them – or with whom he was acquainted – which was the rest. At first Snaveling had been dismissive of the hobbit’s views of the world, but as the incessant chatter slowly penetrated his mind, he began to recognise something in Toby’s view of the world that reminded him of his own people. They too had known little of the outside world, and had sought to weather the storms of history by retreating further within their borders and hiding. It was beginning to dawn on Snaveling that perhaps, like Toby, his own view of the world was less than entirely reliable. Indeed, had Snaveling ever stopped fully to consider the source of his people’s information about the Men of Gondor, he would have found much reason to doubt it. The only people who travelled through their lands were those bound for the north or south of the White Mountains, but who – for whatever reason – wished to avoid Minas Tirith.

When they had checked, emptied and reset all of Snaveling’s springes they walked their catch to the cooking fires and handed them over to some very surprised and grateful hobbits. It pained Snaveling to do this without even thought of payment, but he knew that Roa would disapprove of him trying to profit from these people. As for Toby, all the payment he needed was granted in the form of the admiration that he garnered as he walked toward the cooking fires laden with game.

As they were turning from the cooking fires, an extremely small hobbit passed them coming from the stables. Snaveling had seen him about the Inn yard for the last week but not paid him much heed until now. He was middle aged and dressed in rich clothes that had seen better days. What attracted Snaveling now was the mournful look of loss that hung about the little fellow. The hobbit looked up and met Snaveling’s eyes.

Snaveling was in agony. The flames from his dreams assailed him with a ferocity beyond what he had experienced even in the worst nightmares, he cried out and clutched for Toby, but darkness overcame him and he tumbled to the ground.

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 02-23-2004 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:36 AM   #372
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Cree began looking around. The inn had made a great deal of progress since the previous weeks fire. "Where is Grimm?" Cree looked up to the white crow on her shoulder. "Avalon have you seen Grimm? It seems almost as if I hadn't seen him in a week. Oh how I miss him." Cree turned around at the sound of a familar voice. "Grimm!" Cree screamed as she saw her friend behind her talking to the elf from the night of her almost fatal spell.

Cree ran up to Grimm and hugged him tightly. "It does me good to see you." Cree was doing better the "cut" on her side had quit hurting her. Plus she had gotten in some much needed work. "The inn's looking better now." She wiped away the black ash that had gathered on her face. Cree was feeling better now that she had found her dearest friend. Without him I would have nothing. He means the world to me now.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:29 AM   #373
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Roa had been working hard on the reconstruction of the Inn. With Snaveling resting, she tried to do nearly twice as much as before, in oreder to make up for the lost hands. She would allow none to help her- she was responsible for the work achieved by herself and Snaveling, no one else. From time to time she would check on her charge, but he was in the company of Toby, checking the traps. Her people generally did not use traps, so she was ot astonished that they worked better than her own.

Roa looked back to her labor. The wall was nearly finished here. She sat down a little ways away, to take a rest. There was more than one reason she had thrown herself into her work. Roa was angry. The hatred in Snaveling's eyes as she mentioned Minas Tirith, the disapproving, condenscending look from Toby as she spoke of the protection afforded by her kin, the memory of her brother-- she was in a foul mood indeed.

She closed her eyes and thought of her brother. "Bram!" called a small girl. She ran towards the young man, red-gold locks streaming behind her. "Bram!" Laughingly, the young man, with hair as red as her own, scooped her into the air and spun her around. The child giggled, the whole sound filling her body. "Laughter always conquers you, little sister," siad the boy as he set her down. It was safe and warm here, in the forest. But suddenly things became darker. Smoke and flame filled the air. "Bram!" cried a terrofied little girl. But the boy was gone and she was alone. The little girl cried in fear, but an older voice, strange yet familiar, called out. "A curse on you and your kin!"

Roa opened her eyes with a start. Someone cried in agony behind her. Jumping to her feet, she turned and saw Snaveling collapse. "Galadel, I need you!" The elf-woman was already coming. Together they ran to help Snaveling, who had fallen on a poor Tobias. An older hobbit was trying to free his Kin, and rouse the man at the same time. Roa reached them and rolled the unconsious man's body off Toby. She started at the look of agony on Snaveling's face.

Several other workers had come to help. They helped Roa lift him off the ground, and carried him to the stables. Galadel began to sing.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Old 02-23-2004, 09:46 AM   #374
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Fool Of A Took has just left Hobbiton.
Grimm of the Riddermark

Grimm felt tired. He had been helping a lot and carried stone boulders to the Inn. A dwarf, Regin some people said his name was, had taken the job to find good stones for the rebuild of the Inn. Many people were working and carrying stuff, but Grimm now sat down on the lawn in the middle of the Inn yard.

He leaned back in the grass, and suddenly Cree showed up. "I am glad to see you too" he said and smiled. He hugged her and thought about how good friends they were now. He didn't want anything in the world to happen her. He couldn't stand much more sorrow. He smiled to her and sat down again. "Here, sit by me" he said and she sat down.

Her curse seems to not affect her so much anymore, he thought and stroke back his long hair that irritated his eyes.

"How are things working out for you?" he suddenly asked and turned his head to Cree. For his part it had been alright. It had been worst in the beginning when the fire just started. All the chaos, sorrow, and most of all, fear.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:46 AM   #375
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Hama lay on the grass outside, his back was starting to heal, and the herbs given to him by the apothecary soothed the pain. He had his sword on, his armour was packed up on his horse, Hasufeld. He stood up and walked over to Cree and Grimm. He smiled at them both, "It is good news indeed to me that you survived ,son of Rohan." He looked to Cree, "And it is good to know you as well live.".

He winced slightly as his back twinged with pain again, but shunted it away into his subconcious. There was no time for pain. His hair was a mess, and he made a vain attepmt to sweep it out of his eyes, but it swayed back into place with the light breeze. He sighed, and turned to Grimm. " I have not seen Crystal yet...do you know if she survived?"
Old 02-23-2004, 10:23 AM   #376
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril Galadel

The scream that had erupted from Snaveling tore through Galadel's body. She could feel flames all around her, yet she knew that she was not burning, it was the man, and she was feeling what he was feeling at the exact same moment. Smoke burned her eyes as she hurried towards the fallen figure. Forcing herself to push the feelings aside, the elf knelt besides Roa, who had just turned the man onto his back. The pain on the poor man's face was terrible to see, yet she forced herself to endure it. "There is only one way to cure him," thought Galadel, "But he must take care of that later himself. For now, I must try to do what I can for him."

And then Galadel began to sing.

The song sung by the sweet voice softly filled the air. All who heard it stopped to listen, and turned towards it. Yet, Galadel did not notice anyone else; to her the only people that existed at the moment were Snaveling and her, and her only purpose in life a the moment was to stop his pain. So, she sang an elvish song in Sindarin, one that her mother had taught her as a child. It seemed to have no words in it at all, and those who heard it all interpreted it differently. Yet, here is what Snaveling heard.

Who shall see a white ship
leave the last shore,
the pale phantoms
in her cold bosom
like gulls wailing?

Who shall heed a white ship,
vague as a butterfly,
in the flowing sea
on wings like stars,
the sea surging,
the foam blowing,
the wings shining,
the light fading?

Who shall hear the wind roaring
like leaves of forests;
the white rocks snarling
in the moon gleaming,
in the moon waning,
in the moon falling
a corpse-candle;
the storm mumbling,
the abyss moving?

Who shall see the clouds gather,
the heavens bending
upon crumbling hills,
the sea heaving,
the abyss yawning,
the old darkness
beyond the stars
falling
upon fallen towers?

Who shall heed a broken ship
on the black rocks
under broken skies,
a bleared sun blinking
on bones gleaming
in the last morning?
Who shall see the last evening?

The sweet echoed through the gardens and rubble of the Green Dragon Inn. Snaveling muttered, and sighed, his nightmare slowly fading away, until peace and calmness filled his soul, and then he knew no more.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Old 02-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #377
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Reign stood up, brushing the dirt and leaves from her thin wool dress. It was the only one she had managed to save, and regrettably, it was the ugliest thing she had owned. "It's practical," she thought to herself. "But I feel like I'm wearing a sack." She brushed her tangled blonde hair back out of her eyes, and walked over to where the innkeeper was standing. Aman was speaking with the dwarf Reign, who had been organizing the masonry effort. Reign waited until there was a pause in the conversation, and then cleared her throat loudly.

"Umm… Miss Aman? May I speak with you, please?” Reign’s heart was pounding in her ears, and it took all her effort to keep her voice steady. Come on, she scolded herself. This is silly. You don’t have to be nervous! She was anyway.

Aman turned to her. “Reign! It’s good to see you. What do you need, dear?”

Reign swallowed hard. “I know… I know you asked for people to help with the inn.” At first her voice was so soft that Aman could barely hear her, but as she spoke it grew in confidence. “To rebuild it, all together. Oh, it’s so horrible, and I know what it’s like to lose something you love…” She paused, and suddenly lifted her eyes to look into Aman’s. Twin emeralds stared up at the innkeeper, and Reign went on in a rush. “What I’m trying to say is – well, I want to help. I’m not very strong, but I’m a good worker and I don’t mind doing the dirty jobs. I just want to make this place right again!” She stopped and blinked, as if amazed by her own boldness. “Aman, what can I help you do?”
Old 02-23-2004, 01:00 PM   #378
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Aman

Aman smiled at the curiously eager and nervous woman, slightly surprised by gratified at the sudden outburst, and the smile was warm and kind. "Reign, all help would be gladly recieved - thank you indeed," she replied, and stepped absently aside as a falling piece of stone threatened to brain her, accompanied by a panicked yell from above.

Glad to be able to get away from the ground area of this side of the Common Room, she led Reign out through what had been a window, and the nervous woman followed, twisting her hands and brushing down her thin, practical dress subconciously. She was not thickly set, and was instead quite slightly built, but the fierceness in those green eyes, as vivid as Aman's own, made the Innkeeper quite sure of her resolve that she would help in anyt and every way she could. "A dirty job I'm afraid it must be," she said grimly over her shoulder to the other. "You see, alot of the silver and other cutlery and utensils were lost in the fire, and not all have been recovered yet - and those that have need to be cleaned of the soot, ash and dirt that has accumulated on them." She sighed, halting near Ruby and Buttercup, who were chatting busily as they cleaned, and turned to face Reign. "So you see, it's either help us find the poor remainder, or clean what we have of the residue. What do you say? And firstly, have you had breakfast?" she added, eyeing the girl's skinny appearance.

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 02-24-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:59 PM   #379
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
“That was….very….nice.” Toby murmured, his jaw hanging awkwardly.
He tucked the lower jaw back into place as the melodic tune settled delicately into his suddenly very tranquil mind. His ears quivered in a strange mixture of delight and confusion as the elf’s song resounded like intricate bells chiming, echoing off the hollowed walls of his psyche itself. His widened eyes shrunk back into their usual narrow and unfriendly slit and he glanced confusedly back and forth from Roa to Galadel to Snaveling, trying desperately to gain an inkling of what was going on.

“What in the Shire is wrong with him?...What did you do?...What’s going on?” a fountain of misplaced questions began flying from Toby’s lips. After a minute it became obvious that the words coming from his jabbering mouth had not be thought about in the least before they were uttered. For once, Toby Hornblower didn’t care for the spotlight, all he wanted was a simple, hobbit-friendly explanation of the happenings. He rubbed his sore side, where Snaveling’s flailing arm had practically bowled him over and onto the ground beneath the man's limp. He continued talking, his voice volume rising as the sense in him decreasing.

“Will some kind soul please explain to me what just happened?” He finally said, summing up all of the useless questions he’d been asking for the last three minutes. His mouth was unhinged by confusion and surprise, but his mind and body were strangely calm with the sweetness and refined quality of Galadel’s voice and song. Thinking and contemplating the cornucopia of bizarre happenings, he paused, biting his lip, and added a throat-clearing noise to make sure he was noticed.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies

Last edited by Kransha; 02-23-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:21 PM   #380
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Valthalion had been working hard on the reconstruction of the Green Dragon for a week now, with little rest. He had not even spoken with his newfound friends since the work began. He had developed a place in his heart for the Inn which he had risked life and limb to save. He had not been able to take part in the War of the Ring, which took place when he was struggling to survive in the forest of his Dunedain clan. He now had something to fight for, but in his heart he knew it was not enough. Something was missing from his life, and Valthalion knew in his heart that he would not fufill the void in the shire. Perhaps Roa, a fully fledged Ranger, will have the answers that I seek, and will tell me of a way in which I can achieve remembrance..., he thought. Also, Galadel the elf was obviously a very learned in life. He felt a bond with her, hundreds of years his senior, and he had respect for her, though they had never met. "I will seek my friends and kinsmen," he said aloud. Putting down his hammer, he went to find Roa, Galadel, and Snaveling.

As he left the rubble of the Inn, Valthalion heard a loud yell erupt from nearby. "That is Snaveling!" he said, and sprinted toward the direction of the yell. Then he saw Snaveling, lying in a swoon on the ground, with Toby, Roa, and Galadel next to him. He ran up to the scene, mumbled an apology to his friends about his lack of conversation with them, and then knealt beside Snaveling. "What could be wrong with him? Galadel, do you know? Galadel closed her eyes, and said "I can only Imagine..." Toby the hobbit rushed to explain-"He passed out as soon as a nicely dressed hobbit passed by. They made eye contact, and then Snaveling fell to the ground." Valthalion cursed thrice his lack of knowledge of Dunedain medicine. He looked quickly to Roa, saying "Have you any knowledge of the cure of such an occurance?" She did not answer, seemingly lost in thought. Shaking his head, Valthalion's mind returned to his troubles. He took a look at Snaveling, then at Roa, then stood up and walked toward her and Galadel. "I realize this is not the time or place for this, but I have questions and a need for advice that only kinsmen can give. When time allows, please come with me." After bowing, he returned to Snaveling's side.

Last edited by WarBringer; 02-23-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #381
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Reign

“No, I haven’t, actually,” Reign said with a confidence completely contradictory to her usually withdrawn personality. “In fact, I don’t believe I’ve had a proper meal all week. But then, not many people have. I mean, there’s not even any silverware!” Why was she doing this? Reign couldn’t figure it out; she hadn’t voluntarily given any information to anyone in six years. Not since Jesse died, she realized. A spasm of pain flickered in her green eyes, then vanished back into the place deep inside where Reign kept all her emotions locked up.

Aman hadn’t seemed to notice. “Well,” she said briskly. “We shall have to fix that!”
Old 02-23-2004, 06:33 PM   #382
SneakyHobbit

Aidan watched as Regin walked away. He had only seen a dwarf once before, and that was at an inn in Bree. He had'nt spoken to the Bree Dwarf, since he had no reason or desire. But after speaking to Regin, whom he saw as quite a friendly fellow, he looked on dwarves in a new light.

Now Aidan turned as a newcomer came to speak to Aman. She was a slender young girl with green eyes and blond hair. Aidan saw she was distressed, and watched as she spoke with Aman. Aman went off with Reign (he'd caught her name in the conversation), leaving Aidan by himself in the busy common room. Now what to do? he thought to himself.

Taking his half-empty mug with him, Aidan left the common room to fashion beams for the building. He wished to start out simple, and that seemed like the job requiring least skill. He found a pile of logs outside the remainder of the building, and some woodworking tools on the ground as well. Hoping they belonged to no one in particular, he began shaping and sanding down the logs. Aidan had no trouble, but began to feel lonely after a little bit. He hoped someone might come and join him, for he felt in need of a friend.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 PM   #383
Timothy Brandybuck

Sting Newcomer

Timothy Brandybuck,

Please check your private messages and paste your revised post here.

Cami Goodchild, Shire Moderator (Child of the 7th Age)

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 02-23-2004 at 09:50 PM.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:55 AM   #384
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

There are to be no SAVES on the Inn thread.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:43 AM   #385
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Cree
Cree layed back against the grass. "Its been well but I've missed you. It seems like your back is healed some since last week Hama. That is good." Avalon landed on the grass beside them. "Avalon has missed you too." She turned to Avalon, the bird began skipping towards Grimm. Cree let out a little laugh. "Oh how it feels good to finally be able to laugh at something. It almost reminds me of home."

The clouds were amazing to her. "I didn't leave after all. I'm glad I decided to stay. I don't know what I might have missed if I had left." The grass was soft under her neck. Cree sat up. She pulled out the slither of bone she had holding her hair up. Her black hair quickly fell down around her face. "Oh it feels good to know I still have it." She ran her fingers though her long hair, seperating each individual stran. "To think, I gained so much and almost lost it all."
------------
Aduthondiel
She sat back against the tree that held her horse. Aduthondiel looked up to see Hama talking to what looked like another man and an elf? She stood up and began approaching the three figuress. "Stay here Count. I'll be back." She pulled of her blackened cloak that was drenched with sweat. "Hama, and I don't believe I know you two." They looked up at her.

The other female elf greeted her. "I'm Cree of Eryn Lasgalen, and this is Grimm of Rohan. But this is my very good friend Avalon." Cree turned to Grimm and smiled. Eryn Lasgalen,huh? But she seems attached to this Grimm. Oh well she's still young.

"Well it is nice to meet you Cree and Grimm. Though I have never seen a crow with such white feathers, Avalon is truly remarkable. Hama I'm sorry about last week. I thought Crystal knew about you. It was stupid of me." She dropped her eyes to the ground She felt sorry for what she had done. Even though it had been a week she couldn't forgive herself. I will never forgive myself, but it was my job. It was my duty, one I shall always regret. "I never should be a bounty hunter even for a man like Crystal's father." A tear rolled down her cheek over the cut she had. "He took everything from me. Forgive me Hama."

She turned and walked back to the tree where her horse was located. She sat back down and began wiping away the tears that seemed to be trying to escape from her. "Stupid emotions."
Old 02-24-2004, 08:19 AM   #386
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Hama walked over to her and took her in his arms. She rested her head on his shoudler and the tears continued to trickle out. Hama nodded..."Do not worry...Crystal needed to know...It would have been wrong to not have told her at some point...I doubt that Dorian will realise that the necklace is a fake...I hope he won't anyhow..."

He released her and wiped away a tear with his finger. "Do not cry, it is not right for you to cry when you have done nothing wrong. Crystal is safe for now, and even if they find out she is here I will protect her." Aduthondiel nodded unconvinced, but Hama had turned to walk back to the inn. She watched his long hair sway on his burnt back, and realised that he meant that he would keep her safe...and tha tcomforted her somewhat...
Old 02-24-2004, 10:18 AM   #387
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril Galadel

"The singing seems to have calmed him," thought Galadel, "Good. Now he may rest for a little while."

After hearing the young man's speech to her, Galadel, with the help of Roa and Vathalion, lifted Snaveling from his awarkard position on the ground. They carried him to the stables. When they had laid him down on some hay, the elf sent Vathalion to find the hobbit that Snaveling had seen before he had fainted. "Tell him to come at once," said Galadel, "Stand outside these stables with him until I have sent Roa to you. Then you may allow him to enter here. I think that that is best, for we do not want to cause Snaveling any more harm than has already come to him."

Looking a little confused, Vathalion hurried off to the courtyard where the hobbit had last been seen. When he had left them, the elf asked Roa for a pot of water to soak some of her herbs in. Off Roa went to the storage house where she had seen some pots, and then she went to the pump on the side of the burned inn for some water

Once the ranger was gone, Galadel covered Snaveling with a blanket to keep him from going into chills. She then took some dark brown leaves from the pouch at her side and held them in her hand. She rubbed the leaves on his forehead that was creased in pain and the palms of his hands. Snaveling grumbled in his sleep and moved his head a little. Smiling, Galadel rubbed the sweat off of the man's forehead with the edge of her cloak and then let herself drop down ffom her knees to sit on the ground next to him.

Whispering into the man's ear, the maiden spoke, "Oh why do you have to keep this secret hidden within, Snaveling. If you wish to ever be well again, you must tell her. You must tell Roa soon, or you will soon not have enough strength to even speak at all. I can not fully heal you, only you can, Snaveling. For now, sleep, and I will try to make your rest a little more peaceful."

Resting against a wooden beam, Galadel laid her hand upon Snaveling's forehead and began to sing a gentle song in her language of Quenya. The day moved on as she sat in the stable singing, while outside the hustle and of the day caught everyone else in its quickly moving arms.

Men cenuva fánë cirya
métima hrestallo círa,
i fairi nécë
ringa súmaryassë
ve maiwi yaimië?

Man tiruva fána cirya,
wilwarin wilwa,
ëar-celumessen
rámainen elvië
ëar falastala,
winga hlápula
rámar sisílala,
cálë fifírula?

Man hlaruva rávëa súrë
ve tauri lillassië,
ninqui carcar yarra
isilmë ilcalassë,
isilmë pícalassë,
isilmë lantalassë
ve loicolícuma;
raumo nurrua,
undumë rúma?

Man cenuva lumbor ahosta
Menel acúna
ruxal' ambonnar,
ëar amortala,
undumë hácala,
enwina lúmë
elenillor pella
talta-taltala
atalantië mindonnar?

Man tiruva rácina cirya
ondolissë mornë
nu fanyarë rúcina,
anar púrëa tihta
axor ilcalannar
on bones gleaming
métim' auressë?
in the last morning?
Man cenuva métim' andúnë?

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-25-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #388
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Fool Of A Took has just left Hobbiton.
Grimm of the Riddermark

"Im glad you stayed too" Grimm said with a smile to Cree. The soft grass was warm and he enjoyed just laying here on the lawn. He yawned and stretched out his tired body. He closed his eyes and the memories of Rohan came back to him.

His horse had been brought to safety and Grimm had been so worried about him when the fire started. He could remember when he was a little boy and he loved to be in the stable and look at the horses. His father had always told him that horses was a noble animal and should be well respected, and Grimm had always tried to live like his father wanted.

Yet sometimes it felt hard now when he was gone. He sighed as he thought about it. He shook his head and tried to think of something else. Thoughts of sorrow shouldn't ruin my joy and happiness right here and right now, he thought and pulled himself together.

"So you are going to stay for a while after all?" Grimm said and turned up to Cree again. Avalon now stood beside him and he stroke her feathers and smiled. He awaited Cree's answer.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:34 PM   #389
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
The prow was carved in the form of a seabird and the sails were as wings, catching within them the eastern wind and hurrying him over the waves. A green country appeared and he could see upon it, hidden in a small vale, his hunting lodge exactly as he had imagined it all his life. He walked through each of the five rooms, and moved out onto the porch where a woman awaited him with his pipe. He smiled, and was happy. The singing that had brought him here filled the air like sunshine, and though he could not understand the language, he sang in unison.

The first thing Snaveling saw when he opened his eyes was the rat-faced gaze of Tobias Hornblower. The hobbit let out a yelp of surprise and called over to someone Snaveling could not see, “He’s awake!” It took an effort but he was able to turn his head toward Galadel where she was brewing some herbs in a small pot of steaming water. It was the scent that had recalled him to life. He had never smelt anything like it before, but somehow, it reminded him of home. No, not of home. . .of somewhere else. . .I was just there. . ., but the vision had faded once more and he could recall nothing of it. Instead there arose before his eye the image of a purse of gold…

Galadel turned about in alarm and met his eyes, and this seemed to quell the fires that had begun to burn beneath his skin. Snaveling winced, but was able to endure the pain, which quickly faded once more – but it did not go away. Galadel moved toward him, and for a moment it looked as though she were surrounded by a white light in the form of a veil. Before he could stop himself, Snaveling nodded his head in token of respect and muttered “My Lady!” Galadel smiled serenely at him as she knelt at his side.

“Do not be alarmed,” she said to Tobias. “He has found his way back – this time. But I do not know if he will be so lucky should this happen again.” She turned her eyes on Snaveling and her expression was one of stern pity.

“What,” Snaveling stammered, “what is happening to me? How can I make it stop?”

“You ask the wrong person the right question – it is a beginning.” The Man looked at her in bewilderment, but something in Galadel’s words stirred his mind toward Roa, and what he had done to her in the cellar. He pushed that memory from his mind. Galadel sighed and stood up. “I believe it is safe for me to leave you for a while. There are matters I need to discuss with Roa and Valthalion. For the time being I shall leave you in the capable hands of Master Hornblower.”
Old 02-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #390
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Patience . . . we have reached the end of our post allowance in a thread . . . A new incarnation of the Inn will be open in a few moments.

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-24-2004 at 03:44 PM.