The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
Gil Galad
Haunting Spirit

Gil Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gil Galad Send a message via Yahoo to Gil Galad
Sting If Saruman...

If Saruman never came into posession of the palantir he had would he have become corrupted by Sauron?

Certainty of death, small chance of success... what are we waiting for?- Gimli ROTK
Gil Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Not as quickly, or directly. However, I suppose that he was always quite devious from the start. Hence, his unhealthy fixation with Ring-lore added to his jealousy of Gandalf meant that he was always likely to cause some trouble. But the Palantir was probably the 'final nail' so to speak.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I don't remember at what point Saruman began gazing into the Palantir, but we know his treachery did indeed extend beyond that...even during the time of The Hobbit. It was Ring-lust that first snared him...it was alliance with Sauron that sealed him.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:00 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

That would be like saying, would Denethor have been all happy and rosy if he had never looked into the palantir. It was just part of his nature to want to be better than everyone else, and the same thing applies to Saruman. The latter had always been jealous of Gandalf, and that jealousy drove him to want to constantly best Gandalf at whatever he did.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Tolkien

Yeah, I'll admit the question is moot and useless, but sometimes it's fun to speculate on what would have happened.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:50 AM   #6
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I agree with Eomer - it would have happened, just not so quickly and efficiently. Saruman spent a long time studying the art of the enemy, originally in order to use it to fight him, but he seems to have fallen into the trap wherein if you try to think like your enemy for too long, you end up by becoming your enemy. Without the Palantir he probably would not have been as actively opposed to the forces of Gondor and Rohan, but he would have done his best to make things sticky, to wring some sort of advantage out of it.

In fact, when you think about it, his lack of a palantir could have been a stroke of bad luck for Gandalf & Co. Saruman seems to have had the ring-lust before he had the Palantir (at least, he counseled against others searching for it, possibly so he could have a shot at it himself) and had he not been emboldened by his communication with Sauron, he might not have shown his hand so early. Gandalf may even have given him information about where the Ring was, and who knows what the result of that would have been.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:57 AM   #7
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

i tottaly agree with -kalimac but if saruman had not got the palantir then i think gandalf wuldnt have suspected him of betrayel and that would have been disastorious for the fellowship

but it could also have been otherwise
if saruman had not got the palantir then i guess his lust for power would not have grown
and he would be the ally of gandalf and co.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:59 AM January 31, 2004: Message edited by: rutslegolas ]
Old 01-31-2004, 03:28 AM   #8
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

rutslegolas, I don't understand you.

Gandalf did not know that Saruman possessed a palantir until long after his betrayal became known. So how could it be disastrous for the fellowship if Saruman did not possess a palantir?
Old 01-31-2004, 04:37 AM   #9
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

soory about that last message -eorl of rohan is right

but if saruman hadnt got the palantir then he wouldnt have gone bad i guess so that would have been a great help to the fellowship

and because saruman had the palantir the dark lord was confused wheteher saruman had betrayed him or not?