The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Tolkien Addicts Anonymous

I've come to realize the high number of people that are obsessed with Tolkien, perhaps to an unhealthy degree, that frequent this site. This may seem like a joke, (okay, maybe it is) but perhaps we should work on how to counsel some of our more dependant members on beneficial ways to open up into different areas of intrest, so that they do not pass through years at a time living mainly through the small white box in it's omnipresent black background. I'm not suggesting a new section or any such nonsense, only that this thread (or another) can be used as an advisory for those who feel that their life has shrunk to become small enough for Tolkien alone. Perhaps this would extend beyond the safe legal boundaries within which our operators are willing to function, but perhaps not. I merely ask. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Iarwain
Old 10-11-2003, 09:02 AM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

My name is Finwė and I am a Tolkien Addict.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #3
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Ring

I am a complete addict. When I am not on BD (or any of my other favourite forums) I am thinking about the forums and the people. My mind is like T.O.L.K.I.E.N and I would rather spend my weekend on the net that going out with guys or hanging with friends…

Nilly
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:47 PM   #4
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Howdy....

My name is Orofaniel, but you can call me Oro, and I'm BD addict. Which means am I Tolkien addict as well....sort of. I can't control it anymore, I just.....have...to....go...to....the....BARROWDOWN S!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 05:40 AM   #5
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Mae Govannen,
My name is the Morgul Queen, MQ or Morgul to my friends. I also have no social life, You people are much more fun to talk to than all the Teenage girls my age ('OMG!!11 shez warin ornge shrts!!!11!' or 'Orli iz ssssoooooooooooooo hott!1!!!!!!!!!! Hez mi huzban!!1!')
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:25 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello, my name is Meela, and I am a Barrow Downs addict, as well as a Denethor addict.

I have no friends outside the internet, I never go out, I've developed frequent migranes from overuse of the computer, and my parents would rather I was out every evening getting stoned and sleeping around than on this site.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:30 AM   #7
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dūm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
my parents would rather I was out every evening getting stoned and sleeping around than on this site
I daresay the BD is a healthier pasttime... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I think I'm ready for a Barrow-Downs Betty Ford clinic, but I don't really want to get rid of my addiction, the real world is so much more boring... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 09:23 AM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

My point exactly! I've had so many great conversations on this site, and made so many great friends, who I will remember for a good long while. (Yes, Beren, that means you!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:43 AM   #9
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I've moved this thread to Middle-earth Mirth.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:44 PM   #10
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm Vladivos the Rider (Vlad, Vladi etc.) Tolkien addict? *thinks* Yup, no denying it...not that I'd want to.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (I didn't actually have to think about that, just in case you were wondering
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Tolkien's books are just so unlike anything else that came before...there has been lots of good fantasy writing, but all that I like has come after Tolkien, and although extremely enjoyable to read, I doubt could ever even hope to surpass him. Then again, I might just not be giving it a chance [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 08:12 PM   #11
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hi, I'm Nilpaurion Felagund(although I prefer Elenrod...oh, well... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and I'm a Tolkien-addict Barrow-holic social-life-less elf! Well I have another life, but it involves bringing people to the 'Downs... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:30 AM   #12
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Greetings... My name is Feanor of the Peredhil (commonly called Fea... or Jack, but that's a different story.) and I have a problem. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I am a Tolkien Addict. But it's not as bad as people think... I do have a life outside of Literature.

I didn't used to, but a friend of mine once told me that as good as Tolkien's works are, nobody wants to listen to me talk about them for extended (or really even short) periods of time. So my advice to all people like me: try to restrict your balrog-wingings and Tolkienite Bombadilloisms to places and people that want to hear you. Like here. And offline (yes, there is a world away from the computer [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ), go out with friends once in awhile.

It's really amazing; for as much as my parents hate my guy friends, they let me hang out with them because it gets my nose out of my books!

Fea
Old 10-13-2003, 08:48 AM   #13
Pennthangeil
Haunting Spirit

Pennthangeil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pennthangeil
Sting

Hi..Im Penn and I'm a Tolkien addict...
I recived some help from an Hp addict...but it wouldn't solve my problems.
I eat sleep and breathe Tolkien, some of you may remember me from the thread Elronds Guestbook. I keep a yahoo group on it...
I've read the books once everyear, just like Christopher lee..
I am convinced I don't need sleep because I'm an elf

Somebody Help me.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:27 AM   #14
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Hi, I'm Arwen1858, although I perfer to just be called Arwen, and I'm addicted to Tolkien and Lord of the Rings. Thankfully, my best friend is a huge LotR fan, too, so that helps me a bit. Well, it doesn't help me get over my addiction, it just gives me someone to talk it over with [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I'm also an elf. I just know I am! No, I don't have pointy ears, and it really doesn't matter that I'm a little bit shorter than elves, because I really am one, ya know. And if you want to know about my obsession, just go the the thread about being obsessed and read some of my replies. I'm definately addicted and obsessed.
Although I do have a life outside of here, I still am definately addicted!
Arwen
Old 10-13-2003, 12:13 PM   #15
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wouldn't say I'm quite so addicted as an alarmingly large number of people here [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] , although finding yourself thinking that steak pie smells like this forum is disturbing to say the least.
And you guys, there is hope. You have admitted you are addicted, and isn't that the first step on the (long and winding) road to recovery? Except of course we don't want to be properly cured, just weaned off a tad.

Oh yeah, and my name is Elentįri. And I do have a (limited) social life, but it is limited by my ice skating training rather than this. I just spend (every waking moment of) my spare time here...or on Council of Elrond (where I'm Leggylass...anyone else go there?)...or on TORN...or on the OB files... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

EDIT: Just read over this post (I have a habit of reading it
after I've posted for some reason), and I begin to wonder how I could possibly thought I wasn't totally addicted? MAybe I'm in denial??? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 10-13-2003, 01:47 PM   #16
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hi, I'm Feared Half-Elf, but that's just a disguise covering an elven princess from a long-lost forest. I prefer to be called my proper name, Elkamia.

I have a limited social existance outside Lotr, but my friends and family all groan or hit me when I mention BD or come online. I think my brother (a Hp addict) has kept me fairly sane, although he refuses to accept that I am an elven princess.

Every time I mention anything BD related my best frien Gemma just looks at me. Its kind of an evil, 'yes dear' look!

Vanya sulie!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:05 PM   #17
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Meela (and others): What you need is a planner or a palm pilot.

That way you can properly organize yourself so that you can get in your weed-smoking, your sleeping around, and your Tolkien obsession on a weekly basis.

And your parents shall rejoice.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:30 AM   #18
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Oh yes, good idea...although my parents haven't quite reached the stage that Meela's parents have. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2003, 09:33 AM   #19
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi my name is Finiel.I'm not really a Tolkien addict, but I once was.

I remember when my parents hated me when I talked about LOTR morning, noon, and night.
I was alone in the big university, shunning class discussions in exchange for daydreaming ( about LOTR). You see, my school is full of very old trees and once when I was daydreaming about Lorien, i muttered "Daro!". And my professor thought I was insulting her lecture. That was close to having an F.

Well, the rigors of college life helped in subsiding my addiction for Tolkien things.
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:08 AM   #20
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi, I'm one axe to rule them all and I'll be your counselor on this addiction.

If any of you have the sudden urge to splurge on tolkien, talk to me first.

I understand that no-one has died of over-Tolkienizing, but at this rate, some one very well might just keel over and die right in their favorite comfy chair because they put too much tolkien in their brain, so if you ever need any tolkien taken out or put back in your heads, please by all means let me know, we don't want any heads exploding now do we?

And remember, there's more to life than underwear, and tolkien.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #21
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Elentari, I too only have a limited social life. It involves going to my fencing class, and I don't know if you've ever tried but it's a bit hard to talk to people through a mesh mask when they're desperately trying to hit you in the chest. A most excellent pastime for those who don't want to be yelled at for talking about Tolkien. Or at least if they are yelled at, not to hear it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2003, 04:11 PM   #22
Maethorien
Animated Skeleton

Maethorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My nameis Maethorien and I like Middle-earth better than Earth. Its much more interesting there. Smells better, too.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:23 PM   #23
Seagull Jonathan L.
Pile O'Bones

Seagull Jonathan L. has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Hi,I am Seagull,and I am Tolkien addict. I dont suffer from it though,I enjoy it.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:01 PM   #24
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello, I'm Alatįriėl and I am a Tolkien addict. I had my first hit of Tolkien in 1966, and it's been a downhill road ever since. I used to think I was alone in my addiction and had no one to party with. Then Mr. Jackson made 3 films and, lo and behold, I discovered thousands of fellow addicts on-line. The Downs and other LotR forums have been like a life-line to me, as I have very few LotR friends/family who understand the needs of a Tolkien addict, and could care less whether Balrogs have wings or not. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] It's support groups such as this that help me cope with the non-Tolkien "real world".
Old 10-20-2003, 06:32 AM   #25
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

Um, well, I'm Elanor the Purplefluffychainsaw, and I'm only a little addicted to ME. Um. I'm not an elf, and I'm not a hobbit, but I'm like both. I got the worst of both worlds... I look like a hobbit and think like an elf. Um. I read LotR or the Sil, or another Tolkien book every month, and I think I'd die with out them. I used to watch the Fellowship every wednesday, but I can't any more [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 09:53 AM   #26
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

I am StarJewel, and, yes, I am a monster Tokein addict. My friends call me Elfie, and ask me anything on Tolkien. Then again, I have met a lot of really cool people at the 'Downs, and there's worse things I could be obsessed with.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:32 PM   #27
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hello. i am failivrin. idril to some others. i am a tolkien addict. it all began two years ago and i have never looked back. i spend most of my time thinking about JRRT, on here, reading JRRT, converting people and learning elvish.

BUT I DON'T NEED HELP!!!!!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:48 PM   #28
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Hello, I'm Amarantha and I'm a hopeless Tolkien addict. I am not shameful, I quote and do random obsessive things at odd times, and I love it.

I have no interest in being cured. In fact, I don't think any of us do... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

...Wheeeeeeee!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:59 PM   #29
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Quote:
I have no interest in being cured. In fact, I don't think any of us do...
I second that!! I know I don't want to be cured!
Old 10-21-2003, 02:52 AM   #30
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I second that!! I know I don't want to be cured!
Me three. If somehow I was cured of Tolkien Addiction, I would be a lifeless blob not different from tapioca.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:19 AM   #31
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

What does tapioca look like? Isn't one of those ever moaned about old school dinner things??????

Addicted since 1966? Whoa. And having to live with it til all this. How very, very harsh. I feel for you, although I can't imagine it!

Up the TA!!!!!! (Tolkien Addicts duh)
Old 10-27-2003, 05:36 PM   #32
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello, I'm Pyroclastic, and I am proud to be a LOTR freak!
I was a die-hard fan from the first chapter of The Fellowship. Sure I get laughed at, but I feel that it's worth it. I was at the point of feeling bad about it, when I found the Barrows, just in time. Can you think of anything better than being a Tolkien Freak? Would you rather be like normal people? We could all dress in ugly clothes, talk about nothing, and be stupid. Or, we could be who we are, which is awsome. As long as we rember that the computer is an asset to our lives, not our lives itself, we should be good. Some of my best frineds are peole that I've only met here, and i'd be lost without them. Horay for The Barrowdowns!
Old 10-27-2003, 05:57 PM   #33
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dūm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hey I'm Lady Snickerdoodle and though I am not as obsessed as most of you guys here (my name isn't really LOTR) I have read the whole series like more than 20 times since when I first read it in 3rd grade and seen the movies so many times it is not even funny. And the only reason I'm not going to the back-to-back LOTR movie marathon is that I don't have 400$ to buy the few remaining tickets, and my parents are too mean to lend.

Actually, take back my previous comment, I think I am pretty obsessed. It may have something to do with these plastic pointy elf ears I have sticking on right now... is that sad, that I wear elf ears around all the time? I'm wearing them to school on Friday as a joke... Everyone will scream DORK and run away. Luckily I have practiced being a cool dork so they will not shove me in a locker or down a toilet, which would definately be bad for the latex in the ears. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 07:11 PM   #34
Aragorn II

Sting

I'm Vlad and I'm a LotR-aholic.I have to see and hear ad know as much as I can...I'm new here so I gues a still have time to raise my adicion degree of BD

[ November 01, 2003: Message edited by: Aragorn II ]
Old 10-28-2003, 01:26 AM   #35
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

alam nyo inggit ako sa inyo. maraming tolkien fans ang naririyan sa bansa niyo,at madali kayong makakahanap ng kausap na tungkol sa Gitnang-Mundo. (You know, im mighty jealous of you. many tolkien fans are out there in your country, and you won't have any difficulty looking for another one who knows something about Middle-Earth.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:28 AM   #36
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

tRy tO GuESS mY nATioNAliTY!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:54 PM   #37
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Argh! Absolutely no idea...

Ok, totally random wild guess: Turkish

(Don't ask...it was the first one I could think of) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2003, 05:03 PM   #38
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dūm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

From reading another thread, although this is unfair advantage, you're Fillipino, yavanna II. Let's stay on topic so that BW won't close this down. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I'm not a complete Tolkien addict, but I do enjoy a good foray into his world. I was, at one time, almost completely enthralled with it, but as of late, I've had to turn my attentions to other things, so Tolkien's works have become more of a welcome escape than a lifestyle. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 10-28-2003, 09:25 PM   #39
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I think that most of us would probably be consigned to insane asylums if it weren't for the Barrow-downs! All I know is that it keeps me sane during evil evil Morgoth-inspired Calculus tests!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2003, 09:50 PM   #40
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello, I'm Rilwen Gamgee, but you can call me Rilwen and I'm an obsessed Ringie. I think I'm a Hobbit. I've even tried to grow hair on my feet. My sister and many of my friends have tried to help me, but to no avail. They'll never get me! NEVER!!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 16, 2003: Message edited by: Rilwen Gamgee ]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote