The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #41
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Well, a double nomination from me this week. Here's something to show what standards Middle earth Mirth can achieve:

"A muffin, English or othewise, is still not a patch on a crumpet, really." From the undoubtable Rimbaud on the American Readers (and others) thread

Not to be confused with strumpets, now, mind.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:56 AM   #42
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

This was posted last week on littlemanpoet's thread, The Emblems of Religion don't belong ... or do they?".

Son of Númenor's distinction between evangelical and eucatastrophic

I like Sono's post for two reasons. It is first of all succinct. And second it relates the question to aspects of Tolkien's own theorising about narrative. Tolkien did not proselytise his faith even while his faith is expressed in his art. Very astute and perceptive, Sono!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #43
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
There are six types of Troll written by Tolkien: See HERE. Only the Stone trolls encountered by Bilbo and the Dwarves were mentioned to be turned to stone with the sun's light.

I would imagine that if cleverly knocked down, a nice sharp stave/spear could be rammed in between the scales of the troll's hide (An armpit would be good - puncture the lung, and if shoved far enough and at a downward angle, the heart would be pierced). Or one right through the ear hole into the brain would do it. And of course there are always the eyes . . .

~*~ Pio, the bloodthirsty

I wish to nominate this post which probably had a limited audience since it was in response to a query of mine on troll killing on the "Fall of the North" Discussion thread. Partly it was a prompt, helpful and succinct response and partly it revealed an unsuspected dimension to Pio (unsuspected by me at least)

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:43 AM   #44
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Oh, indeed, Mithalwen, those of us who are familiar with pio's past gaming exploits are quite aware of her more recondite forms of knowledge. Why, Mithadan even--but I digress. Well does pio deserve a commendation here for her tireless and prompt help and information gathering for The Shire. She's a gem--our own "Gilmarillion"--and that's for both girl and gamer and gem!

I would like to nominate Helen/Mark 12_30's post from littlemanpoet's thread Smith of Wooton Major in Middle Earth?.

Why? because Helen presents a fascinating observation about the role of trespassing in The Silm and Tolkien's other works. Here's the relevent morsel that tantalises my thoughts:

Quote:

The word "trespassing" comes to mind. (Remember the salmon swimming into the hot spring at the bottom of the lake? The narrator was out of his element, and you loved it, as I fondly recall.) Smith is essentially trespassing; Frodo is frequently trespassing; by contrast the Sil narrator has every right to be there. So where's the mystery that creates thirst in the soul? I suspect that what moves you is your desire for transcendance-- and that hunger is best whetted by mystery.

Perhaps the Sil creates regret, longing for the good old days, rather than the longing to pierce and percieve a mystery.
She puts her finger on another aspect too, but that's for the telling on lmp's thread.

Lovely observation, Helen!

Last edited by Bęthberry; 05-08-2005 at 09:52 AM. Reason: codes and praise
Bęthberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #45
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I would like to present an extremely hilarious post by Squatter for this category: Could I have a room with a view? on the 'Do Balrogs Have Wings?' thread. He combines friendly banter with his usual classy humour to make a post that has me laughing out loud!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #46
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Yes, Squatter's post was a delight to read. I was especially taken with the cat pictures.

~*~ Pio
Old 08-26-2005, 01:38 PM   #47
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Although I hesitate to disagree with two--two!--of our illustrious Moderators, I must demur. Clever as Squatter's post is, one other drew from me greater laughs. Allow me to nominate Estelyn own post, The Battle of the Battleship concerning Davossë and HI-wë and Laluinen on the infamous RPG, Revenge of the Entish Bow.

The BarrowDowns hath no higher reputation than this, to be enshrined within the posts of our very own parody. Esty, you slay us.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #48
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe

I think Crazy captions, despite being very much a one-liner thread has some damned funny posts. My favourite one so far this week has been Éomer's patented melodramatic semi-colon gags I just thought it was very amusing.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-26-2005 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Rats
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #49
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots Muddled muses light fuses

Rimbaud's poetic tour de farce was upstaged in a late-night one-liner by Valesse's Ringing reply.

Wham, bam, it's anagram slam this week.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #50
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Lush makes a very perceptive observation about Denethor on lmp's thread, What's the worse thing characters had to face in Middle earth/.

Lush's observations speaks to something that I think we haven't much discussed here on the Downs, whether Tolkien (or the story) lends itself to the interpretation that what is needful is personal self-control rather than emotional excess. That contrast can itself be questioned, I realise, but still, Lush's point is I think a fascinating perspective from which to view the man who would fry his child.

Kudos to a very stimulating post. You go, Girl!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #51
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Thumbs up

The holidays always interrupt my playtime here, so this is a very late entry, but one which by all means ought to be highly recommended as a supreme example of what spending time on the Barrow Downs does to people.

I herebye nominate Abercrombie of Rohan's post with the Barrow Downs Periodic Table as one of the highlights not only of that week, but of that month and the entire year.

And durn it I can't get a small image of the periodic table to work here.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #52
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
The holidays always interrupt my playtime here, so this is a very late entry, but one which by all means ought to be highly recommended as a supreme example of what spending time on the Barrow Downs does to people.

I herebye nominate Abercrombie of Rohan's post with the Barrow Downs Periodic Table as one of the highlights not only of that week, but of that month and the entire year.

And durn it I can't get a small image of the periodic table to work here.
Seconded! Ah, 'tis a terrible thing that the Barrow-Downs obsession can do to people...*shakes head*
Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #53
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
I'm honoured!
Quote:
Ah, 'tis a terrible thing that the Barrow-Downs obsession can do to people...
And, of course, don't forget an 1 and 1/2 hour Pre-Calculus class... That combination has continually led to disastrous things.

Last edited by AbercrombieOfRohan; 01-08-2006 at 08:18 PM.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote