The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2002, 02:39 PM   #1
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting Rather Bold Experiences?

Greetings to everyone. This subject has been on my mind for a while, and I searched for a thread like it, but I found none. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

What I want to know is: Has anyone tried to try and skills from LOTR? For example, has anyone, after reading the books or seeing the movie, attempted to practice archery? Or fencing? You get what I mean. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I, myself, have received a small, nicely-sized bow and a plethora of arrows. I set up a target by the shed in the back yard and I sometimes find the time to go out there and practice. I'm still poor at aiming, but I have the coordination down, finally. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Does anyone else try archery or any other "athletic" activities that are featured in the trilogy because the books or movie inspired them to do so?
Old 10-15-2002, 03:10 PM   #2
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I have spent some time amassing a horde of evil, such as the world has never seen, and am waiting for the return of some jewellery before I launch my final assault on humanity.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:18 PM   #3
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Eye

I'm part of a sword fighting group called the Steel Ravens. We travel around and perform authentic Medieval and Renaissance sword fighting shows at Faires around Michigan. We are based in the Ovid, Owosso, and Corunna area. Next summer, we will be at Silverleaf Faire near Kalamazoo, possibly Canterbury Villiage in Holly (I think), the Ohio Renaissance Faire, Ontario Renaissance Faire, and many others. We have 2 torchlight parades in December this year 1 in Ida (I think that's how you spell it) and 1 in Corunna. But anyway, enough of my rambling! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:55 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I took a stage combat class about three years ago. So I learned stage sword fighting (which is basically what you see in the movie). I want to take another so that I can brush up.
I also tried archery at the Renaissance Festival this year... I wasn't too bad & would consider taking a class in it if I could find somewhere that taught it near me.
I also am a lover of horseback riding & took lessons for years!!!
So, I guess the only thing I tried after reading the books was archery.

TolkienGurl - you are lucky to be in a troupe like that and to be able to perform at Ren Fests. It is my dream to be in some sort of troupe that performs at Ren Fests (I just need to get better at my skills!).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:03 PM   #5
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, actually, Miss Tigerlily Gamgee, everyone who first joins has no idea what they are doing! All start on martial arts wooden stick thingies called bokens. They are taught the basic maneuvers - two's, lunge drills, advances and retreats, footwork and the dreaded 'box step.' I'm not allowed to go into any detail though. Group policy. Then they do these maneuvers on steel, and then design their own fights and perform!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:35 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Sounds like fun!
I actually would like to work the faires as an actress or juggler! YAY! (which makes me think... hmmm, there were no jesters in LOTR - so much for that stereotype of kingdoms).
Perhaps I'll see you at the Michigan Renaissance Faire next fall?? I'll be back at the old archery by then, and hopefully I'll hit a target this time [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 06:41 PM   #7
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have taken up archery, but that's about it. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 06:51 PM   #8
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

cool question! well to tell u the truth, every year, i go to hungarian camp (im hungarian. look on the map.Hungary) and well warriors or watever used to do archery on horseback. but we were just learning it on the ground! anyway. I hav a bow and arrow (i made it! tee-hee!) in my closet somewhere...but i did not even know about the books then. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 05:30 AM   #9
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Wow, TolkienGurl! You are so very lucky to be part of a group like that! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] It sounds wonderful. Hmm, do they only let adults join clubs like that? You think some of those clubs like that would accept young teenagers? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Tigerlily and Tolkien Gurl, where does the Michigan Renaissance Faire take place? Again, are young teens allowed to go? What is it like? I'm very interested.

Eglaladiel, it is really stupendous that you made a bow and arrows! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] You must be very talented. I've always wanted to try to make a bow or a wooden dagger, heh. How do you go about it?
Old 10-16-2002, 06:36 AM   #10
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Well i learn how to bake and cook juz like Sam...hobbits are good cooks you know but i suck at it. Other than that i took up kendo lessons juz bought me a katana!!!!
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

"Hey Brain what are we gonna do tonite?"
~Pinky~
Old 10-16-2002, 07:49 AM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Oh, Lots.

Although nothing so grandiose as Rimbaud. Where do you live, Rimbaud? In a mirky forest, or amid hardened towers, or in a desolate plain?

I first read Tolkien around three decades ago when I was twelve. What have I picked up since then because I thought it was Middle-Earthy? Fencing (foil and sabre); archery; pennywhislte, flute; harp (I built a crude one from scratch); walking in the woods; I made several cloaks (and one day, in Jr. High, wore one to school ALL DAY, to all of my classes; boy did I catch heat for that!)

More recently, climbing trees; learning to cook with mushrooms, hobbit-style; visiting the beach in order to think about paradise. (I always did like standing on the rocks and watching the waves roll in. Very westward-looking even when done on the eastern seaboard. (I wonder if Tolkien had been writing in New England if paradise would have been to the east. But then, CSLewis got it backwards too) )
Old 10-16-2002, 08:41 AM   #12
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Well, I have never taken up Tolkien's rather bold experience of creating languages. However, I have been known to take up his challenge to respect language by crafting my own words carefully, and, I would hope, with some wit and imagination. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 10-16-2002, 10:18 AM   #13
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I started fencing at about the same time that I discovered Professor Tolkien's books but I never made a connection between the two.

I find it difficult to imagine any of the warriors of Middle Earth handling anything as flimsy as a fencing foil. Fencing, or any of the so-called martial arts, has more in common with ball-room dancing than it has with real fighting.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:48 AM   #14
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

True enough. But what the heck, it was a credit course, and I could pretend.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:52 AM   #15
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Helen, i was joking. I don't really have an awesome army of evil. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

I'll have another dry comment please, twist of lemon.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:47 AM   #16
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Delighted. Here you are: |_|) Yet, methinks the poet doth protest too much.

A database probe at Badali Jewellry revealed the following order:

One (1) each Nenya, Narya, Vilya
Seven (7) Rune Rings
Nine (9) Gollum Rings
One (1) One Ring, 24 Carat gold

Send to Celebrimbor of Hollin, c/o Rimbaud, Somewhere Other.

A similar search at L. L. Bean produced the following billable to the above address:

One (1) Cloak of Control
One (1) Umrella of Domination
One pair (1) Galoshes of Gloom
Old 10-16-2002, 11:50 AM   #17
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I made a short dagger out of chickenwire and papier mache (though I wouldn't advise this - this chickenwire was really sharp and now the handle is wobbly!) and also I bought a foam sword, which I ocasionally attack people with.
But apart from that... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2002, 03:24 PM   #18
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

DarkRose: I am not 'officially' a member because I am a minor (15) but I can give my opinions at the business meetings. My vote doesn't count though. Also, when you join, your parents have to give permission since you will be dealing with actual weapons. There's plenty of minors practicing and learning with us.

MRF is located in Holly, Michigan, I believe. It's going down the toilet, though (pardon the vulgar expression but there is really no other way to describe it.) The owner has fired (or is going to fire) the 2 most profitable performances. Yes, everyoneis permitted, even little children, that is, if you can pay the gate fee! (it's rather expensive)

Tigerlily: We (the Ravens) have been invited to perform at MRF. Since our schedule is booked for next year(yay!), we might have to divide the group and do multiple Faires at once. Who knows!
Old 10-16-2002, 03:28 PM   #19
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I have taken up archery and fencing. My friend is going to let me try riding her horse bareback (gray thoroughbred - GORGEOUS).

I am also attempting to learn knife-fighting and basic healing with common plants. Hard in the 'burbs, but I'm trying!
Old 10-16-2002, 04:38 PM   #20
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Quote:
The owner has fired (or is going to fire) the 2 most profitable performances.
Oh no! *covers eyes*
Who is it??? Dead Bob? The Wench Show?? The Zucchini Brothers??? The guy dressed as Treebeard??

I still enjoy going for the atmosphere, but it will be strange if some of the regulars are gone. It is one of the only places near me that I can go and feel as though I live in another time (plus, I get to dress in clothes that, frankly, feel more comfortable to wear than modern ones).

TolkienGurl - what other festivals do you reccommend that have a nice Tolkien feel about them?? I have not had much chance to travel, but I will be more free to explore next fall.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:34 PM   #21
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

I heard 'Dead Bob' and 'Don Juan and Miguel'. I'm not sure, though. It might be heresy.

Ohio Fantasy Faire is supposed to be good. I've never been there though. We're possibly performing there next year so I'll get to find out!

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
Old 10-16-2002, 08:05 PM   #22
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I've been into hiking and stuff like that for awhile but I want to learn fencing now. I'm glad others are doing this,I don't feel so strange. i can't help but htink of the fellowship when I'm out in the woods and i feel the need to be armed for some reason.
Hey Tolkiengurl I'm going to be in Flint MI after Christmas, anything going on with the group then?
Old 10-16-2002, 08:57 PM   #23
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i have a burning desire to learn blacksmithing-so i can make swords and armor and stuff. i already have a nice 2-handed sword planned out, but if and when i learn blacksmithing, it will be a while before i accumulate the money, experience, and of course, bellows-forge and all to make it. as is, i have a sword, a nice Charles V type sword, but it's meant for display (balance all wrong) so i can't even practice. i sincerely wish i could do training for swords, but with school and all the other junk going on, it would be nearly impossible.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:24 AM   #24
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

Well i do feel like taking up fencing or archery but in Malaysia its hard to find a school that provide those lessons for a reasonable price. Wat does it feels like when you fence or swordplay as i belief kendo is different so i hope someone can tell me. Thank you
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2002, 06:54 AM   #25
mithuel
Pile O'Bones

mithuel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was wondering the same thing about kendo, avarrogion. Someone told me it was the closest thing to actual sword fighting, more so than fencing.
As for other Middle Earth skills, I love horse riding and have recently taken up archery; haven't managed to combine the two yet. The only problem with archery is that there are two types of bows,recurve and compound. The recurve bow is the traditional bow, made of wood and very simple in its design. The compound bow is a mass of technical metal gadgety things and looks rather like a machine gun. Unfortunately, most archers seem to prefer the compound bow, although they are not allowed at the Olympics. You might have to hunt around for a good teacher for the recurve bow.
And mark12-30: you have a true Middle Earth spirit!
mithuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 03:24 PM   #26
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

elfling: nope. sorry. We will be having a parade in the second or third week of December in Ida, MI. Ida is south of Detroit, near the Ohio/Michigan border.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:15 PM   #27
avarrogion
Wight

Sting

Thanks a bunch Mithuel for the info on archerry. I don`t think so i can tell you much about kendo as i still dunno the differents between kendo and fencing.
But i can tell you this kendo is quite hard it focus more on your fighting stance and movement of your upper shoulders when you wield your kendo stick. Other than that kendo lessons are preety much like you`ve said ealier it resembles swordfight with two opponents battling all out in a gracefull manner. Sorry if i cant explain much cause i am still a beginer and i am not good at explaining stuff.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:48 PM   #28
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd like to try archery again - did it once when I was 11 *cringes* they made me take my glasses off and I couldn't see the target properly [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

For some reason, I've always been interested in falconry, and I'd love to do that (though I doubt this is something that would be popular in ME) I'm kind of a fan of All Things Medieval, of which many are also Things of Middle Earth - would you agree?

hugses a-plenty

~E

*back from a very long absence; returned feeling all the better for it, though no more articulate*
Old 10-19-2002, 02:55 PM   #29
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Below I present my foray into a bold new realm induced by reading "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings." [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Please note that this was originally posted December 6, 2001. It has been edited to remove the name of the forum which I used to frequent before I became a denizen of the Barrow Downs.

MUSHROOMS AND BACON, OR THERE AND NEVER AGAIN

Free to Good Hobbit Hole: A Lifetime Supply of Mushrooms, Because If I Ever See That Awful Fungus on My Plate Again in My Lifetime, It Will Be Too Soon!

Permit me to explain: * clears throat, wets throat with ale, begins true story *

Having heard much high praise about the delights of mushrooms and bacon, but never having eaten any myself, I made some for dinner last night.

So I went out and bought the finest mushrooms I could find, thick slabs of bacon, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, a good hearty cheese, tater bread and butter, sweet red grapes, and ale flavored with honey and ginger.

Fried up the mushrooms and bacon until the house was filled with the pungent aroma. The whole meal when finished being a delight to the eye and nose, and at the time, taste ... I wolfed it all down right quick, understanding for a moment the greediness of the Hobbits for such a dish.

All was well until several hours later, when it felt like a great brick had settled down in the pit my stomach, taken root, and decided not to leave. Night passed without the need for a bedtime snack, morning came, and I was not hungry. Afternoon came, and I was not hungry. (Made myself eat some soup though.) Took a walk in the woods hoping to work up an appetite for supper ... was not hungry. It was as if someone had placed an enchantment on those mushrooms such that the eater would never feel the need to eat again!

Am just now starting to recover (or at least that's what I'm telling myself) * slight grin *, well after twenty-four hours has passed.

AAAUUUGGGHHH !!!!

Gandalf the Grey

P.S. I still shudder at the thought of mushrooms and bacon .....
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote