The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2002, 11:59 AM   #81
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Ahem, two words about Balrog desirability:

Balrog Breath

Thanks for the moral support concerning youthful obsessions with ME men! Either I am not as strange as I thought, or I have found a group as strange as I am. Either way I am very happy to be here. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 12:48 PM   #82
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Eh, the breath... well, you do have a point.

Youthful obsession? Hey, I had elven runes embroidered on numerous articles of clothing, and it was a dead secret what the runes said. (Most kids put "Charlie and Suzy 4-ever" on rock walls with spray paint; not me.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I wore cloaks to school WAY before it was even remotely cool.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:52 PM   #83
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Oh, I wish I were brave enough to wear all my costumes. I have several. but my husband doesn't even like it when I wear my kilt. Maybe I should have a picture of it posted on Alk's site.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:54 PM   #84
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I am long overdue for a return to this topic.

Most embarassing public Tolkien moment: Taking on the high school Orc for "annotating" the map to my copy of the Silmarillion during study period (purchased on the first day it was issued). The powers that be had no idea what got me so angry.

Second most embarassing public Tolkien moment: Circa 1975, going into a book store and asking for copies of the Silmarillion (referred to in Tolkien's biography), The Fall of Gondolin (referred to in both the Hobbit and LoTR), the Akallabeth (referred to in LoTR Appendices) and other works mentioned in Tolkien's works only to be told they were not listed in Books in Print.

My original LoTR set (Ballantine with Tolkien art covers) survived until 4 years ago when the ill-abused bindings finally gave way. This led me to my first ventures onto eBay where I eventually acquired an identical 4 volume set (gold box with heraldry). One problem. The set was absolutely mint. The books had never been opened! I could not bring myself to read them. Back to eBay where I got a hardcover set for a ridiculously low price. This one turned out remarkably to be a first edition Folio Society set; couldn't read that one either. So I eventually got a new Book Club one-volume reading copy (followed by a second edition boxed hardcover set, followed most recently by the "big red one" which I received today!).

I have never known anyone interested in Tolkien in real life and, until recently, only knew one or two people who had ever even read LoTR. It was my "closet" hobby until I discovered on-line message boards.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:03 PM   #85
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Guess I've been lucky-- I've known a fair number of people that enjoy LOTR. I wouldn't classify most of them as "fans", but a few are.

Mith, I'm jealous of your ballantine Tolkien-art gold-boxed set. That's the one I had to let go of a couple of years back, only I had a red heraldric box, which I think was a bit unusual? There are a few sets on Ebay, and I'm tempted-- maybe after the account recovers from Christmas.

So-- what did you do to that Orc, eh?
Old 12-30-2002, 04:16 PM   #86
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The red box is older, from perhaps 1975 or so. The gold box is from later in the 70s. Both can be gotten on eBay though finding them in good condition can be tough. Finding one with the books unused was almost astonishing.

The Orc and I did a few turns around the dance floor before the teachers stepped in. We later became friends. Ultimately, he learned to fly straight, went to college and became an engineer.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:19 PM   #87
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm, I embroidered "Three rings for the elven kings" poem on my "elephant bells" (anyone remember those?) back in 72. Also "Far over the Misty Mnts" poem on my "babydoll shirt" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I wasn't much of a sewer, so I made all the letter's with straight sticthes, which made them look kind of like runes. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I was "that weird hippie chick who sews poems on her clothes" [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 11:00 PM   #88
Alphaelin
Wight

Thumbs up

Oooo, I am pea-green with envy about the mint set. Wow. (Of course I guess mine was mint, too *once*.)

My dad had the red set, which he has apparently lost somewhere, and spent most of the last 20 years trying to steal my gold set. (Not to worry, stealing books is sort of a family game. Yes, we are dysfunctional and prefer it that way.) I finally bought him a hard-cover set of TH and the trilogy, but I can't recall the publisher now.

I didn't realize till now how lucky I am to have a parent who encouraged me to read Tolkien. Tho' I don't know what Dad would've done if I had started wearing Elvish-embroidered clothes. My mother would have freaked out completely I fear.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:23 PM   #89
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Looking online, the top of the gold box has a heraldric-looking picture on it, but-- I remember now!-- it's not heraldry, it's the "Numenorian tile." I have the heraldric pictures, but does anyone know where there's a picture of the tile online?
Old 12-31-2002, 04:26 PM   #90
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Helen - look here.

Number 46.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:46 PM   #91
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Yes!! many thanks!!
Old 01-01-2003, 01:50 PM   #92
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Cool site, Pio! I've been looking for a site like that!
Old 01-04-2003, 01:42 AM   #93
Alphaelin
Wight

Ring

Beatiful site! I've printed off some of the designs in hopes of using parts of them in needlepoint. The watercolor of Rivendell is wonderful too! I think I'm going to frame it for my desk at home.

Thank-you so much for the link. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 03:37 AM   #94
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

My pleasure! I love to poke about on the net - there are some real treasures to be unearthed!
Old 01-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #95
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Mith, this is ALL YOUR fault. I have more bookmarks at Ebay than I do at the Downs. (I should invest in Ebay stock.) But when a boxed set finally arrives, I'll thank you for it.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:45 PM   #96
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Uh....let's see. First read Tolkien when I was 12, I'm now 32. 20 years...EEP! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 07:14 PM   #97
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hey, Samwise! Glad to see you in the grey-beard's club... Didn't know you were so ancient. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I was thinking that this club needs some sort of unifying insignia or badge, perhaps a wizard's staff to signify our ancientness. How do you vote on that? Would you prefer a Wizard staff or a Hobbit Walking Stick ...? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Alphaelin, I've been chuckling about Clive. More, please.

[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-07-2003, 07:23 PM   #98
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mark 12_30, would you like advice on "sniping"? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #99
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Sure, Mithadan! Say on.

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-07-2003, 08:30 PM   #100
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Hey, Samwise! Glad to see you in the grey-beard's club... Didn't know you were so ancient.
LOL! I am. I admit it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
I was thinking that this club needs some sort of unifying insignia or badge, perhaps a wizard's staff to signify our ancientness. How do you vote on that? Would you prefer a Wizard staff or a Hobbit Walking Stick ...?
Hobbit Walking Stick for me..... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 01-07-2003, 10:30 PM   #101
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I,like Bilbo, have quite a collection of walking sticks!
Old 01-08-2003, 12:28 AM   #102
Alphaelin
Wight

Ring

Mark12_30:

Glad you've been enjoying the brief mentions of Clive ETOF. (Always nice to know you're appreciated, lol.) Should I PM you?

A Wizard's staff for me, please - it might impress my kids. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Besides, I'm even older than Samwise. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 06:05 AM   #103
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Alphaelin, Do a fanfic-style diary, I'll read it! (Trusting that you'll keep it family-oriented, etc. You seem 'proper' to me so far? )

Sorry, ranting a bit here. The Barrow Downs rule is G, PG max, but it's a bit distressing to me how much vulgarity slips thru sometimes. Tolkien didn't go for that stuff; why should we? Part of the reason I like your "Clive" is that he's evil, but in a sophisticated-- clean???-- sort of way... (wow, conondrums.)
Old 01-08-2003, 06:20 AM   #104
Holfast Willow from Greenfields

Sting

I remember it as if it was yesterday. The year was 1997, it was raining, we were in the school library, and suddenly my gaze fell upon a book that looked different from the other books. That was LOTR. The Hobbit, I remember, was read to us at elementary school(Well at least I think that's what you call it, you know at the age of 9), when we had our lunchbreak. We sat in our classroom and ate our lunches while the teacher read it to us. Now I am 18, and I am still going strong with the reading.

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Holfast Willow from Greenfields ]
Old 01-08-2003, 08:19 AM   #105
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mark 12_30, sniping is a tactic that people use on eBay to give them a better chance at winning an auction. It works this way. Let's say you found your mint condition red box Ballantine set listed at $7.50 in an auction which will close on Friday at 6:30 pm, Pacific time. There are three bids and the high is $10.50 right now. You are willing to pay up to $25.00. Do not bid now. Bookmark the listing and make your bid (for the whole $25.00, not a lesser amount) at 6:29pm on Friday. By the time the other bidders get the "you've been outbidded" e-mail, it will be too late to make a new bid or maybe they'll come in and make a new bid which is still lower than yours (on eBay, the high bid, depending on the item price is set at $0.50 or $1.00 more, for lower price items, than the next highest bid, so even if you bid $25, if the next highest bid is $19, your new high bid will be set at $19.50 or so though you would still beat any bid up to $25).

Another trick is to bid $0.51 cents higher than your planned amount. So if someone else bids $25.01 you still win.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:52 AM   #106
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Mith, thanks. I had been slowly fermenting a few sub-sections of your process, but you brought it all together nicely. I like it.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:15 AM   #107
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Dear me, Holfast, you've landed among the geezers! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] The title of this thread might be misleading - those of us who have gathered here read Tolkien at least 18 years ago. Welcome to the Downs anyway - take a look at the Tolkien Under Age Club and the Tolkien Middle Age Club, both on this forum, for other age groups!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:19 PM   #108
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Many thanks, Estelyn, for the link. I am honoured to be invited, particularly since I am new to the Barrow Downs.

I was first introduced to Prof Tolkien's works some 25 years ago, when we read The Hobbit at school (I think we read it aloud in class). I must have been about 9 or 10. Although the recollection is pretty fuzzy, I have a vague memory of doing a picture in class of the spiders of Mirkwood involving string glued onto the paper as a web (the things that stick in the mind!). I am however eternally indebted to the teacher who introduced me to the book - I have been a fan ever since.

I soon moved on to the Lord of the Rings and soaked it up. I remember being intrigued by the cover which looked down a long road leading from a pleasant green land to a dark, mountainous, stormy land (the Shire to Mordor) with strange figures peeking out from the trees along the way (unfortunately that particular book is now long gone). It was wonderful, because it gave little away and let the imagination run wild in visualising all the characters and locations. I was taken on seeing the FotR film by how much of it looked just as I had imagined it, and again with TTT (I have set out my thoughts on the films elsewhere, so won't repeat myself any more here).

I also remember that awful sadness on finishing the book and wanting to read more. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I tried the Silmarillion a few years later, but found it pretty hard going and gave up.

I did follow it up by reading all the fantasy books I could get my hands on - some pretty sub-standard, but some were great (Michael Moorcock's Prince Corum series, Anne McCaffrey's Pern books and Aldiss' Helicona books spring to mind). I also got heavily into AD&D and various other RPGS at school - I couldn't believe it, a game with Hobbits in it where you acted out the characters (we always called them Hobbits, not Halflings).

I must have read Lord of the Rings 2 or 3 times shortly after, but hadn't picked it up for many years until I saw the FotR film about a year ago, which prompted to read TH and LotR again. It was like being re-introduced to old friends. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The film also got my wife into the books - can you believe that she had been told when a girl that she wouldn't enjoy them? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] All those wasted years!

I never got round to reading the Silmarillion, although I'm planning on doing so soon. I'd also be interested in views on the History of Middle Earth books - I hadn't been aware of them until recently. I'd like to read them, but would welcome advice on where to start (I think that the first few volumes are pre-the Hobbit and LotR).

I'm interested in the conversation about people reading the books to their children. I'm currently reading The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton to my 5 year old daughter (hence the name) and she loves it. I'm looking forward to reading The Hobbit to her, but I think she might be a bit young yet.

As a newcomer, I must admit that I'm enjoying reading all the discussion threads on this sight - I've ventured into some of the "deeper" discussions, but my knowledge pre-the Hobbit is restricted to what I've read in the Illustrated Encyclopedia, so they seem quite daunting. I must work on my knowledge!

Anyway, I think that that's enough from me, so bye for now.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:11 PM   #109
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Saucepan Man, I also attempted the Silmarillion and quit. In fact I've attempted it several times and I just cant seem to stay with it.

Tolkien, for me, seems to be the "odd thing about Jan that make her interesting". No one in my family shares my interest. I guess that's why I'm here; here I'm not so odd and I'm able to share with others my interest.

I am a failure at my attempts to read Tolkien to my children. I've attempted to read The Hobbit to them, but have repetedly been rewarded with little interest.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:22 PM   #110
Brigid de Burgo

Sting

Senior year in High School, class of 1966. The smartest guy in the class had one of the Ballantine paperbacks & said "you've read it, of course." I hadn't but soon rectified the situation. (Later he said he'd marry me if I knew Golias--many years later, I finally found "Silverlock." Every time I get a notice of another Class Reunion I see the message: "Does anybody know how to get in touch with S----- McC-----?" Yet another reason to avoid the reunions. Ah, well.)

I read the trilogy & The Hobbit several times. Also Farmer Giles & On Fairy Tales. I branched out to other fantasy writers--Lin Carter's series of classic fantasies was a response to the success of Tolkien. Then on to non-fiction. (I'd read "The Once & Future King" senior year as well, so I was also on the Arthurian track.) A bit of Jung & a lot of Joseph Campbell. One semester of Medieval English Literature in college.

The coming of the movies made pick up a copy of The Fellowship (the sixties were hard on my library). I was surprised to find it so delightful & plan to continue to The Silmarilion & the other works.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:32 PM   #111
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Raefindel

I am determined to read the Silmarillion - I always meant to. I think the problem is that (as I recall) it starts off so abstract, and only gets into heroic deeds 'n the like later on. I just can't help getting my Maia and my Valar all mixed up. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

When I first read LotR and got into AD&D, all my friends were into fantasy and scifi etc, but I was the only one really into LotR. I don't remember any in depth discussions anyway. Now, it's great that my wife's getting into the books.

I think Rosie will love the Hobbit. She can't wait for each instalment of the Faraway Tree and her face lights up with wonder at the childrens' adventures and concern at their perils. My only concern is not to try the Hobbit too early and maybe put her off it.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #112
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I forced myself to read the Silmarillion this year (internet friends insisted!) You're certainly right about the start! After I got going, it wasn't that bad, but I don't find the pleasure (no, make that joy!) that I get from LoTR and The Hobbit. I've been buying up the audio CD's on Ebay. I really enjoy listening to them. My eyes are going downhill rather quickly, and I can't skip or speedread stuff when I'm listening. My favorite way to enjoy Middle Earth lately is listening to Rob Inglis while lying on the couch with my eyes closed! [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 10:37 PM   #113
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
I always had a thing for Faramir, too. I can't tell you how disapointed I am with the movie character.
Eh...I know what you mean, Miss Rae. Not that I have the same feelings for Mr. Faramir....(saw the movie for the first time tonight and it will be the last) WHAT was all that "We're taking the ring to Gondor!" nonsense???? And the way Faramir treated the Hobbits....????? Throughought the whole movie, wherever Mr. Jackson SCREWED UP, my friend and I who went to see it looked at each other and went "HUH???"

Erm....calm down, Samwise, calm down....

My fave line in the whole movie, however, came from my own dear, precious (NOT in the Gollum sense) Sam....

"And who are you, his bodyguard? "
"I'm his gardener! "

Ah, my dear, darling Sam.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sigh....okay, my swooning done....

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 01-08-2003, 10:42 PM   #114
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Stacey:...did I say swooning done? Wait....
"Man, Sean Astin has some pretty eyes...!"
Okay, NOW swooning done.

Sam: Miss Stacey!!

Stacey: Hush, Sam. Isn't it past your bedtime.....?
Old 01-09-2003, 03:56 PM   #115
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Getting thru the Silm was difficult for me until some ( helpful, kind, wise ) person on this site suggested keeping a pen and some paper handy, and drawing out my own copy of who is who and where. You end up with your own copy of all the geneologies, names, places, etc.

That did it. I drew, I listed, I correlated... and I read and read, and wept and cheered, and shouted out loud... it was great.

Fingolfin, why!?!? WhyWhyWhy? Ah, well, it was glorious. (sniff)
Old 01-09-2003, 06:55 PM   #116
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yeah, I should reread it and do that. It would be nice to then make a "beautiful" chart of info, on lush paper with some artwork. It would definitely take a few rough drafts to figure out the clearest, loveliest way to lay down all the names and places.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 01-10-2003, 12:03 AM   #117
Strider

Thumbs up

I read THE LORD OF THE RINGS for the first time this year, I am 14 right now. I bought the whole trilogy(I saw the "fellowship" movie first unfortunately) and I have been hooked on the saga ever since!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:49 AM   #118
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Strider. I was 14 when I first read the books, too. Unfortunately, that was 23 years ago! You are posting on the "OLD FOGIE'S" Thread.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:12 AM   #119
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Mae govannen everyone !

I’m not sure if I may join this thread of the BD-seniors or not…
I am certainly among the very oldest of you, since I am born 1951.
BUT, I am apparently an exception because I have NOT read LotR as a teenager, but only became acquainted with Tolkien’s works at the age of 50. And, let me tell you, it was quite a revelation for me! I have read a lot of books in my life , (also many English ones), yet I can honestly say that hardly any other book has so fascinated, thrilled and moved me, and none has stimulated my fantasy and enriched my life as much as LotR.

I only wonder why on earth I never came across Tolkien earlier in life. Probably because I don’t live in an English speaking country… Though I did spend a year in England (1971 and half a year in the USA (1973), none of my friends, teachers and acquaintances ever gave me a hint ( I used to borrow books from everyone. My favourite used to be Charlotte Brontë’s “ Jane Eyre”)
Anyhow, it was only 2 years ago when my elder son (now 17) started reading the Hobbit and LotR. (Several of his friends from the boy-scouts are Tolkien-Fans…) He read the books in German, while I got myself some English copies and was soon more of a fan than he was. For him, it’s just an exciting adventure story, but I get more out of it.
I proceeded with the Silmarillion (Rather hard to begin with, but fortunately I have a good memory for names…I was more troubled by the deep sadness in this work.) Thereafter, I reread LotR with a new understanding and appreciation. In between I had also read “On Fairy-stories”(Marvellous! I found so much truth in there!) and “Leaf by Niggle” which stirred a deeper interest in Tolkien’s life and thoughts, so I got his biography and the book by T.Shippey “Tolkien, author of the century”. In the mean time I had joined the Barrowdowns and have since then read ever so many interesting and thought-provoking threads.(Btw, that’s another side-effect of my Tolkien-craze: being rather a luddite, I had never touched a computer before, but my son taught me to use the internet so I could get in touch with other Tolkien- fans all over the world.) In the BD I came across several beautiful quotations from Tolkien’s letters, so of course, I had to have those treasures too! My latest acquisition are the Unfinished Tales , which I am reading now.

My younger son (12) was of course intrigued by all this talk about elves, dwarves, orcs etc and therefore also read the Hobbit last year and is now reading LotR.(He is very much interested in MiddleEarth and asks me all sorts of questions. ) Since he has to read aloud to me (on the teacher’s request) and alternately I read to him, I can compare his German copy to my English one. Alas, in no way does the translation justice to the original! Much of the charm of Tolkiens wonderful language is lost. I can just hope that my boys will later in life, when their English has improved, come back to Tolkien.
As for my dear husband, he never reads a novel, let alone fantasy. But he bears my “obsession” with patience. He even installed a DVD player , so we could watch the extended FotR-DVD.( But after 15 min. he fell asleep! It’s hopeless.)
For me, the BarrowDowns are a wonderful place, because I have no adult friends around me who know Tolkien.

Now I hope I haven’t bored anyone to death with this much too long post. I have certainly read all your posts with the greatest interest!
Old 01-10-2003, 11:43 AM   #120
Alphaelin
Wight

Ring

Mark12_20,

(wiping away tears of mirth at being called both 'proper' *and* 'sophisicated') I'm not actually very proper at all, but try not to impose my depravity on others, lol.

It's been at least 25 years since I've attempted any fic at all, fan- or otherwise, but I'm willing to give Clive's Diary a try - at G or PG level. Now comes the part where I show my computer illiteracy: How and where do I post something like that?? I am altogether clueless.