User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2003, 02:36 PM   #161
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Better," Elanor lied. She could see how bad Sam felt about running away, and she couldn't bear to make him feel worse by telling him that she felt that way, too. And maybe she could make herself feel better by cheering him up, anyway.

"I figure that we can't help what's past. We made a mistake, yes, and Uncle Bilbo will be mad at us, but it's too late to go back now, so we might as well stop feeling guilty and be as helpful as we possibly can so we're not a burden to the grown-ups. Maybe they'll be glad we came along."

Elanor smiled reassuringly at Sam, wishing that she could take her own words to heart. Then she looked away quickly, because she knew she couldn't lie- he'd be able to tell that she really didn't mean it. What mattered most to Elanor now was that Sam believe her words, so that maybe she could, too.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 02-22-2003, 05:40 PM   #162
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami stopped at the Gamgee burrow on Bagshot Row, hoping Marigold could come to help her clean the drawing room and kitchen in preparation for the party. Cami rapped loudly, but, when no answer came, tacked up a note on the door, suggesting that Marigold join her at Bag-end.

Her next errand would not be so easy. She'd made Bilbo a solemn promised that she would try and get along with Bowman. That meant no fighting and no being nasty, even if the boy himself was less than cordial. Bilbo had asked Bowman to help with the party preparations, so Cami thought she'd better invite him to come along.

Cami crept up to the burrow where Bowman's family lived and knocked reluctantly on the door. But, again, there was no answer. She scribbled out another note and left this one tucked under the front mat, poking out enough so that Bowman would see it whenever he came home:

Dear Bowman,

Bilbo has suggested that I invite you to help with the party preparations. Mister Bilbo is badly in need of our help, since Sam and Elanor ran off to join the hobbits who are visiting towns in different parts of the Shire to buy presents and other party things. The three of us--myself, you, and Marigold--are the only ones left to get through the work in Hobbiton.

This afternoon, we need to clean the kitchen and drawing room at Bag-end, and also help to weed the garden, since Sam is not here to do his regular chores.

I hope that you get this, and will come join us this afternoon.

Your friend,

Cami

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-22-2003, 07:32 PM   #163
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Bowman ran up the hill and greeted his pet squirrel warmly. He had just finished helping his father out and now he could sit back and rest a bit. But it was not to be.

As he walked up the path to the front door of his house, he saw a little note sticking out from under the mat. Excited, he picked it up and saw it was addressed to him. He never got notes hidden under door mats! He eagerly read it, but his face changed until it was a scowl.

"That Camelia Goodchild!" he said, crumpling up the note and throwing to the ground in frustration. "She gave me that note just to be mean! And she said 'Dear Bowman.' Ha! Dear! I won't go." He looked at his squirrel with a dangerous expression, as if he were daring it to defy him. Slowly his face changed and he sat down on the step with a sigh.

"I have to go and help Mr. Bilbo out," he said. "If only there were a boy there, but it's just a bunch of sissy girls!" He kicked an empty bucket in front of him angrily and watched as it clattered down the steps. Feeling better after releasing some of his anger, he stood up and opened the front door, calling, "Mum, I'm going over to Bag End. I'll be back soon!"

Then he hurried down the path and onto the road, eager to show Mr. Bilbo he was willing to sacrifice some rest to help him out, even if he had to be stuck cleaning with girls. His squirrel watched him go, and then went to the front door to see if Mrs. Proudfoot could spare some of her seed cake.

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 02-23-2003, 11:40 PM   #164
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Marigold came up her garden path after doing a couple of chores for her mum. A note was stuck on the door and she ripped it off. It was a note from Cami about helping Bilbo and to come down to Bag-end. Marigold dropped off her shopping inside and hurried up the path to Bag-end.

To her dismay, when she got there she saw Bowman waiting by the door. She sighed heavily, Please let him not be helping Mr Bilbo She muttered to herself and crossed her fingers behind her back as she walked up to him.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:56 AM   #165
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

After the shopping trip with Pearl, Crystal was happy to be together with the others of the group. She had enjoyed the journey with Pearl, it was a very nice tour, but sometimes she really had had problems with Pearl's love for clothes and everything that was in fashion since it was just too different from her sense of fashion. "Oh Crystal look at that! Here Crystal, just have a look at this!" and so on. Now, with the other members, she wouldn't have to listen to it all the time.

She was also looking forward to the conversation with Olo who had promised to tell her about his garden. Being rather shye she was not sure if she should just ask him, and after thinking about it she decided to wait a little time and then ask him if he didn't talk to her until then.

[ February 25, 2003: Message edited by: Sindae ]
Old 02-24-2003, 04:27 PM   #166
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Eruantalon's post

Every one had been moving along and Olo was feeling more tired than usaual. He felt weighed down by all the running around and shopping. His legs where aching and his back was feeling the weight that was on it from earlier. He started to think of his wonderful garden. All the pretty flowers that needed his attention. He hoped his children where taking good care of them. He felt weary and needed a good rest. Gardens.....wait a moment. Crystal wanted to know all about his garden. That would put some of the tiredness out of his mind for a while!

Crystal had just gotten done talking to Pearl. He walked straight up to her and said " Hullo there, Crystal! I was thinking we could have that talk about gardens!"

"That would be wonderful Olo," Crystal said.

"How do you keep your garden so colorful in the fall? I really like it. In my garden the colors start to fade in Winter until there's nothing left," said Crystal.

"That has a lot to do with my grand dad and Master Hamfest's father. His father and mine knew each other quite well. They were always trying to find a way to get the gardens to last a little longer. They came up with this mix that can feed the plants and make them think its still quite warm. Its a strange mix that has potato starch among many other things. I have the recipe at home. It gives the flowers and plants a kind of cold weather coat to keep them warm. It also has lots of the good things they need. Me and old Hamfest have been perfecting it for years now. Our dads passed the recipe to us. We had to swear that any one who really wanted to keep their gardens beautiful would get it. They would have to show a real interest in gardens, just like you did Crystal. All you have to do is put the mix into your watering pot and water your garden. I'll give you some when we get back home. I'll give you that recipe," said Olo.

"And how and where do you get all your beautiful and extraordinary flowers from? Most shops, I know, sell just the normal ones every Hobbit in the Shire owns. You know all the boring Sunflowers and so on...," said Crystal.

"Ah yes, my darlin' flowers. As I told you, my famly has had a long love of gardens. My father was the person who got those. He loved flowers more than anything. He used to ask those who travel on the great road to bring back flowers and pay them well for their help. He never really left the Shire but got the most wonderful flowers from almost every where. He had lots of friends who were travelers. They would find all kinds of splendid types for him. They always kept a look out. So you see between my father and grand dad we got quite a garden in the end," answered Olo

"What do you do every day to keep the garden so nice? Looks as if you put in a lot of work there every day." said Crystal.

Now all this talk of travelers and gardening got everyones attention. The rest of the company came in close enough to hear what Olo and Crystal where talking about. It was such a plesant conversation that they all felt the warmth of the Shire's finest gardens right there with them on the journey. They all smiled and listened, and were actually interested in how Olo kept his garden so nice. He was so willing to give away all his secrets. They couldn't help but open their ears.

"What do I do you ask?? What don'tI do should be the question. Watering the plants with my mixture of course, singing to them, talking to them, mulching, weeding, trimming, pruning, planting, reseeding. They all have their time and place. A good gardener know when and how to do it right! But every day the soil must be kept loose and moist. That's the most important part of keeping a good garden. Your mother Belladonna knows that first hand. I know she hasn't been able to keep up with all her gardening duties. Your father Tolman is quite the gardener I should say. We would probably be neck to neck if it came down to a comparison. But your dad and grand dad didn't love gardening as much as mine did. But with a little help from me by next fall your garden should be just as lovely!"

"How long have you been gardening? I just started with it since my mothers back is getting worse and she can't take much care of the plants anymore. Still, I like it," said Crystal.

"Well now, that's a bigger question than you think. I had a pale and spade when I was two but I don't think that counts," Olo said as he chuckled to himself.

"I have been gardening for about 25 years now Crystal. My family has been gardening for as long as I can remember. Thats not quite as long as some though. But I would say it was quite long enough. Does your sister Ruby help you at all? If she doesn't that would be a waste now, wouldn't it? Two fine young girls not doing a bit of gardening. If you do it together, you'll both get the attention. I can hear it now. There goes Crystal and Ruby. They have the best garden in the Shire. Ohh, what I wouldn't give to have their garden. And they're so young. How do you think they do it?"

Crystal seemed to chuckle at the idea of people saying that. Besides it was a funny idea. What would young girls want with gardening when there are plenty of wonderfull games to play? Olo knew this. He only said it to make Crystal laugh, which it did. But she seemed vary interested in all the help Olo couldn give her. She talked about Olo's green, green grass. He told her about that being part of the secret of the 'mix' as he called it.

The others joined in the talk of gardens. Prim told about how she had wonderful Dogwoods. "I have been tending them for a while now. They seem quit lovely around my Hole. They're scattered all about. I have been trying to get them to stay longer as the winter approaches. Could you give me some of that mix too, Olo."

"Of course Prim. I'll give you some and the recipe!"

Biffo had that certin look that only he could give. Uncle Olo was beaming now. Maybe this was a good time to ask for some of the seeds he knew Olo had. "Uncle Olo, you have seeds right. I heard you say that before. Think I could borrow some sometime? My Rose bushes are pretty and all, but they could use some company!"

"Take what every you like Biffo! Oh that reminds me, Crystal you might want some too. There are certain seeds you can still plant even this late in the year. By mid spring your garden will be so lovely!"

"My Mom keeps a nice Lilac tree in our yard. I take care of it usually. It's so sweet in the summer time. You can smell it quite a ways away. I really like it. Its one of my favorite things to do in the summer. Just sit and comb my hair in my room by my window and smell the Lilacs," said Pearl.

"Oh now, it's getting a bit late isn't it everyone. I hope we don't have to sleep out now. I can't seem to remember what the decision on that was. It makes no differnce to me whether we're in Inns or camping outside, as long as I have a nice fire to sit beside and smoke my pipe."

Still, the hobbits kept chattering about gardens, discussing this flower and that. This conversation became so animated that none of them caught the first faint hints that something or someone unwelcome was lurking nearby.

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-25-2003, 08:26 AM   #167
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

The three bandits sat crouched in the ditch. They could now hear the hobbits coming their way.

"Now remember," lectured Evelina, "We are not to kill or maim the hobbits. Bandolin, you push them around while I grab whatever they have in the cart and Jasper cuts the horse loose. Then we dash into the woods, get away and make a good meal out of any food they have."

The bandits crouched down again. Jasper and Bandolin waited for the word from their leader...

[ February 25, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 02-25-2003, 12:49 PM   #168
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The footsteps came closer and a typical hobbit discussion about gardens and flowers floated merrily up the path where Evelina lay by the roadside. Her nose wrinkled in disgust and she thought contemptously how simpled minded the creatures could be. It would almost seem a pity to take advantage of them if it were not so amusing, she thought with a grim smile.

The clip clop of horse hooves now drew near the bend and in a moment, they would round the corner. Evelina crept from her hiding place, making sure her decorative red dress was visibly torn and soiled by the damp forest floor. The first pair of hairy hobbit feet thumped round the corner and she laid herself by the road, sprawled in the classic position of a helpless female mauled and left by the wayside. Peaking through her disheveled black hair, Evelina let out a few pitiful moans for extra emphasis while her hand slipped through the folds of her dress and grasped the cold handle of her blade.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:28 PM   #169
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bandolin and Jasper sat quietly in the ditch, waiting for Evelina's signal. She had just started her "display."

"Jasper," Bandolin whispered, "what do ya' think? Should I use my sword or knives on the li'l 'uns?"

"Whatever, just don't kiil any of 'em. Remember that." Jasper replied.

"Alright. But how 'bout I slice open something" Bandolin asked.

"No, just scare 'em. Here," Jasper said as he picked up a a large stick, "use this and just swing at them. That'll scare them good!"

"Hehehe, this'll be good!" Bandolin sneered as he thought of what he'll do. "Okay, let's go get some half-ling!" They then kneeled and got ready for some action...
Old 02-26-2003, 08:02 PM   #170
theWhiteLady
Wight

Sting

The spirited discussion of the brightest and most beautiful type of flowers ended abruptly between the hobbits as each of their eyes fixed, staring upon the woman lying before them. They exchanged uneasy glances; perhaps the bandits of which they had heard were not just an imagined tale after all, they thought. Certainly something had hurt the young lady. One of the male hobbits came closer, to render aid and perhaps also out of curiousity.

Evelina lay listening carefully and wishing she had chosen a more convienant position in which to be sprawled. Her face was most uncomforably squashed into the damp earth; the musty smell of decaying leaves filled her senses, and everything had suddenly become quiet. Try as she might, Evelina could not hear what the group of hobbits were doing. In truth, they were doing nothing more than gaping at her, but she, of course, could not know that. With a snort of disgust, the lady Bandit sprung herself from the ground and turned to face them with a fierce smile and startling yell. Roughly pushing aside the closest hobbit, who had shrunk back in surprise at her prompt recovery, Evelina called once more for aid.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:41 AM   #171
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor and Sam had been riding a little bit ahead of the hobbits when the woman jumped up from the middle of the road.

"Sam!" She gasped, horrified. "Look, they're bein' attacked by bandits! And- oh, but it can't be- but it is, a woman! A woman bandit, Sam, and she's all bloodied and everything, oh, she looks so frightening! How I wish we'd stayed home!"

Horrible visions filled her mind, of being killed, of being kidnapped and then tortured by bandits. And Mama and Dad? What if Elanor really were taken? What if the whole group were taken? By the end of ten minutes, Elanor was convinced that it was all somehow their fault that the group was attacked by bandits.

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 02-27-2003, 08:20 AM   #172
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Jasper leaped out of the ditch. He saw several small hobbits, but one large male that Evelina had pushed away at first contact. But the hobbit now reached for the knife in his belt.

He made to strike the bandit from behind, but Jasper tackled him, knocking the knife from his hand. Twisting around on the ground, the hobbit landed to heafty kicks into Jasper's face. He realed backwords, but watched in satisfaction as Barodir's stick crashed down on the hobbit's head. He collapsed, visibly stunned.

Jasper pushed two other hobbits aside and made for the horse, pulling out his dagger. The halter was old and broke easily. The horse, already terrified, galloped of down the road when Jasper kicked it roughly.

He saw that Evelina had the food basket, and the Barodir had hit several hobbits. She wistled, and the bandits ran off the road, jumping the ditch. They disappeared into the forest, leaving the bewildered and sore hobbits behind, lacking both food and horse.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:39 PM   #173
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Bandolin, right on cue, jumped out with Jasper. "'Ello there, half-lin's! We've come to getcha'!"

Bandolin took the large stick he had and began to swing at them. They dodged almost all of the blows, barely. "Ah, forget this! It's too slow!" Bandloin shouted as he cast the stick away. He then proceeded to punch some Hobbits.

Meanwhile, Jasper proceeded to steal what he was supposed to steal. "Let's get outta here!"

They then left as quickly as left into the forest. The Hobbits were left in schock and fear...
Old 02-27-2003, 09:07 PM   #174
theWhiteLady
Wight

Sting

Evelina waited for her backup before making a dash through the hobbits to the baskets of food placed carefully inside the cart. She got her arms around a particurally large and heavy basket. The two hobbits sitting in the wagon shrunk back in horror at Evelina's cut face and wild manner; she could not help making an extra wild leer at them before running off after Bandolin.

Dashing for the woods, she barely escaped being run down by the cart horse barreling down the road, and ended up tripping and tearing a bit of the hem of her dress. Cursing loudly, she regained her balance and disappeared through the trees, leaving the hobbit party gaping behind.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:29 AM   #175
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

In the peaceful town of Hobbiton, Cami, Marigold and Bowman gathered on the front steps of Bag-end, totally oblivious to what had happened to their friends on the road. Bilbo had left a long list of chores on the kitchen table which he was asking the children to do in preparation for the party.

The minute they walked through the door, Bowman latched onto the list and carefully looked it up and down. Then he took up a pen from Bilbo's writing desk and sat down in the corner of the room. Neither of the girls could see what the lad was scribbling on the paper, although he seemed to be very intent on what he was doing. When Marigold tried to peer over Bowman's shoulder, he carefully covered up the writing with his hand so that it was impossible to see anything.

"What's he doing now?" Marigold asked Cami.

"I'm not sure. We'll have to wait till he's finished to see it."

Marigold narrowed her eyes and hissed, "I don't like it. Why is he hiding that from us?"

Cami sighed, but tried to calm Marigold down, as she did not want a fight, since it might ruin her chances of the special treat that Bilbo had mentioned to her earlier.

Bowman finally finished and stood up, holding the sheet in front of him, "Alright, girls, I have your assignments completed. Come over here and look."

Cami wasn't so sure about this either, but told Marigold they should go have a look and give the boy a chance. Beside each chore was written a note that said "Cami" or "Marigold" or "Bowman.". Cami peered over at the list, carefully scanning the names and tasks.

"Bowman," Cami gasped in horror, "I think you've made a mistake!"

"Mistake? There's no mistake. There's one job that's good for a boy, and the rest are all girl's jobs."

What do you mean by girl's jobs? There are twenty things listed here with my name and Marigold's, but there's only one with your name on it."

Yes, that's right." Bowman nodded in agreement. All of those are the girl jobs--washing the dishes, scrubbing the kitchen floor, making up a batch of bread, dusting the house, doing the laundry, and so on, and so on. There was only one job for a boy," Boman pointed to a single entry which read "taking out the garbage."

Cami shook her head aghast, "Bowman, this isn't fair. You'll be done in fifteen minutes, and we'll be here all night." Cami was trying to hold on to her temper, but she was beginning to feel her face go red.

Marigold glared over at Bowman, "This is ridiculous. My own father helps my mother do some of these things at home." Bowman turned and gave her a scathing look that clearly showed what he thought of any male hobbit who carried out such a chore.

"That's it," growled Marigold, and made a bee line in the direction of Bowman, waving a broom in her hand.

[ February 28, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 02-28-2003, 10:20 AM   #176
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Pearl was still shaken by the attack. Bandits! She still didnīt know what had really happened. Two -or maybe three?- figures had attaked them from behind.... Peark tryed to organize the wild pictures and bluring colors in her head, when she heard a distant moaning. She wheeled around.

"Crystal!"

Her friend was lieing on the ground next to her, holding her arm.

"Oh my gosh, Crystal, are you ok? Crystal, Crystal, say something!"

"Pearl. Cool down. Iīm ok real- ow! My arm-"

Pearl bent down. Crystal had a small cut on her arm. Quickly, she reached for her first-aid box, she had luckily packed. She cleaned her wound and then looked around. A few others were looking as confused as she had felt sometime ago. Prim was walking around looking frantic and worried, while Anabell was holding her leg. She seemed wounded, as well as the others.

"Everyone who is wounded come here please, I have a first aid kit!" Pearl called out. A few scrambeld near. Most of them only had a mark or a bruise, but Oloīs wound was worse: he had a bad cut on the back, and and was holding his head, moaning and grumbeling in pain. Carefully, she applied some herbs on his cut, and told him not to worry- the head pain would go away.
Then she focused her attention to Prim, waiting what would happen next.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:04 PM   #177
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

The bandits dashed through the woods. Jasper was already lagging behind the two older and stronger man and woman, and was finding breathing harder every minute.

Running with his head down, he saw the rock that he had almost tripped over, and dodged it. Sadly, he did not see the large Beech tree he was running at. He collided with it, and stars filled his vision.

The other bandits kept running. It was a much later that they discovered Jasper had disappeared.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:18 PM   #178
theWhiteLady
Wight

Sting

Great ragged breaths tore Evelina's chest as she ran and her grip on the large basket began to slip.

"Wait up for a minute!" she called to Bandolin.

Bandolin wheeled around to find Evelina already collapsed in the soft needles fallen from a nearby pine tree. The lady Bandit motioned him to sit, too out of breath to speak. Poor Evelina was used to stealth, not mad escapes on foot through the forest! The lack of work and easy living in the hobbit villages did not help keep her in shape either. Even as she mused over this in her head, she tried to hide her exhaustion from Bandolin; it wouldn't do to show she was getting soft in front of her partners, such characters as she was used to dealing with could use any weakness to their own advantage.

Bandolin did notice, however, and could not suppress a small smile. He was hardly out of breath from the run and it amused him to see the tough woman fail to do something better than him. He began to root around the basket to see what Evelina had been able to grab. With a shout of disgust, he pulled out a long roll of streamers.

"Oh no," Evelina groaned, her breath fully recovered. She dug deeper through the basket and yelled with triumph, pulling a large box of candies from the bottom. She tossed a handful to Bandolin who caught them deftly and popped them in his mouth.

"Here you are, Jasper" she said, offering out another handful. It was only then that she realized Jasper was not present.

"Bandolin," she whipped around, glad to have someone present to vent her frustration upon, "what happened to Jasper? Didn't you make sure he got away?"
Old 03-02-2003, 12:43 PM   #179
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Sting

The long run had been nothing more than a workout for Bandolin. He was used to running away from the authorities and such, so it was no problem.

Evelina, on the other hand, was noticibly tired. Bandolin couldn't help but smirk at his comrade. She looked angry at looking weak. She took out a box of candies, stolen from the Hobbits, and gave it to Bandolin.

"Here you are Jasper..." Only Jasper wasn't there. "Bandolin," she said as she whipped around, glad to have someone present to vent her frustration upon, "what happened to Jasper? Didn't you make sure he got away?"

"I'm sure he was behin' me. He musta fallen." he answered. "C'mon, we gotta find 'em!"
Old 03-02-2003, 02:11 PM   #180
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Stay close, Elanor!" Sam said, trying not to shake. "Let's find Prim, she'll know what to do..."

Elanor nodded, but she could see that Sam was trembling. His face flushed with embarrassment, but he couldn't stop himself. What had happened? Oh, yes, the bandits...but he hadn't thought there really were any. He thought that it had just been tales that the older hobbits told to keep the children close to home. "Guess it wasn't," he muttered. Elanor asked him what he had said, and he replied "Nothing."

"Sam, Elanor, right here," a voice called. Sam recognized the voice as Melilot, and went over immediately, bringing Elanor with him. To his horror, Mel was sitting on the ground, grasping her leg, which was bleeding. Sam couldn't find his voice, but gripped Elanor's hand more tightly.

Mel sighed as she saw Sam's face. "I'm all right, really, just keep close to me. Do either of you know where Primrose is?"

The blank looks on their faces told her nothing, so she struggled to her feet, gripping Sam's shoulder as a spasm of pain ripped through her injured limb.

"You can lean on me," Sam said earnestly, extending his arm to Mel while he kept holding Elanor's hand. Melilot smiled gratefully and took the boy up on his offer, and began the slow walk to find Prim and the others.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:08 PM   #181
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Prim watched the retreating bandits through blurry eyes. "THANK YOU!" she shouted at the top of her voice, and then sat down and burst into tears. There was comfort all around for her, but it didn't help. Her pony was gone, her beloved pony, and she felt like she was a terrible leader.

When all her tears were gone, she looked for the first time around her, and saw that many were wounded and Pearl was tending to them. Looking up, she saw Mel and the children approaching, Mel leaning on Sam.

"Melilot!" she cried, jumping up and running forward. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine," said Mel through her clenched teeth.

Sam helped Melilot sit on the ground, where Prim began tending to the wound. "Pearl seems to be the best of us at this," she said as she worked, "but she appears to be rather busy. I think I could do all right at this. I've taken care of my family's ponies many times when they've been hurt like this." Suddenly tears came to her eyes.

"It's all right, Prim," said Melilot. "I'm sure he's okay."

Prim smiled and gave her friend a quick hug. "You're the best, Mel," she said. "All I did was mention the ponies, and you knew I was thinking about my own sweet boy."

"He'll be all right," said Mel again.

"There we go," said Prim, standing up. She turned to the others. "Let's put those more seriously injured and unable to walk in the back of the wagon," she said. "Biffo, can you hitch another pony up to the wagon. Children, you'll have to walk now."

Prim assisted Mel to the wagon and helped her in, then in turn Annabell, and then with Pearl's help Olo. "Crystal, are you all right to walk?" she asked.

The lass nodded bravely.

"None of the wounds seem to be that serious," said Prim, "but I think it would be best to stop at an inn for the night. There's an inn along the way to Michel Delving. We'll set out now and try to get there as quickly as possible. Let's go."
Old 03-03-2003, 12:15 AM   #182
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Beruthial's post

"That’s it!" Marigold had the broom in her hand and waved it in front of Bowman's face. Bowman looked at her, slightly surprised but obviously thought she couldn't do much harm. Marigold picked up on this immediately, "Don't you dare think you're better than everyone else! You’re not! You’re just a selfish, pompous brat!” she shouted at him and charged towards him, filled with anger. Bowman jumped at her sudden outburst and ran around the table, with Marigold in hot pursuit.

Child's post:

Cami could not believe how quickly the entire situation had deteriorated. One minute they were trying to divide up the chores, and, the next, Marigold was swinging for Bowman's head and threatening to lay him out cold. All Cami could think about was the need to get the party preparations done and how disappointed Bilbo would be, if he came in and got a look at this wild fracas.

Even more scary to Cami was the thought that Bilbo might blame everything on her, and the special treat he'd promised her right after the party would vanish in front of her eyes. She'd best do something, but what could she do against such stubborn and wayward children? For that is indeed how Mistress Cami regarded the two of them, although she herself was the very same age as Bowman. She stomped her foot and crossed her arms in total frustration, then began yelling at the top of her lungs in a vain attempt to get them to listen.

Beruthiel's post:

Cami shouted at them both but they simply ignored her as they ran around the table again and again. Marigold was getting tired but wouldn’t give up. Bowman started to laugh; he knew he was faster than her and she wouldn’t be able to catch up, but this made her even more furious. Before he knew what was happening he was knocked onto the floor and being whacked with a broom. Bowman managed to get a grip on Marigold’s hair and yanked hard. Marigold screamed and let go of the broom and started to hit Bowman as hard as she could.

Child's post:

At this point, Cami was becoming increasingly desperate. She threw herself on the wrestling couple, and tried to pry the two of them apart, but with absolutely no success.

Beruthiel's posts:

Poor Cami was trying as hard as she could to break up the fight but couldn’t get Marigold off Bowman. Then Bowman pulled Cami down and she collapsed on top of them both.

The racket they were making could be heard outside of Bag-end and Bilbo was coming up the path, with his nephew Frodo by his side. Bilbo shook his head and the two of them rushed inside.

[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-04-2003, 03:30 PM   #183
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Frodo's jaw dropped open as he raced through the door, "W-what happened here? Are you alright?" he cried out nervously, as he saw the three hobbit children tumbled together in a single heap.

Bilbo grimaced and shook his head. He could guess exactly what had happened, but he wasn't about to say anything to his nephew. Looking down at Marigold, and Cami, and Bowman, he was perfectly certain they were fine, other than a small bump or bruise here or there. He suspected that what they most needed was a bit of stern discipline and a strict warning.

"We're alright, Frodo," Cami assured him as she got up from the ground, and dusted off her skirts. She noticed that the hem of her dress was ripped and there was a small tear at the collar. Her mother would certainly not be pleased. Cami had a feeling she'd be spending the evening in front of the hearth doing dress repairs instead of more interesting things.

The kitchen and sitting room at Bag-end looked as if a large troll had come inside that afternoon to do a spot of mischief. There were several chairs tipped over and numerous smaller kitchen items had fallen to the ground, a victim of the wild chase as well as the broom which Marigold had been wielding. Several of the dishes had broken, plus one of the small wooden bookshelves had dumped over when Bowman had come crashing into it. The book were spilled out across the floor, and one of the shelves had come loose.

Bilbo turned his face to Frodo and forced himself to keep a cheerful tone, "Nephew, we're going to need a hammer and nails to get the bookshelf fixed. Could you check over at the Gamgees? I believe Hamfast borrowed the hammer the other day. Then run down to the market and buy a ha'penny worth of nails."

Once Frodo was out the door, Bilbo lined up the three children and gave them a stern talking to, telling them that this was their last chance to cooperate, or else there would be no party for any of them and, worst of all, he'd speak to their parents! Cami tried to blurt in about Bowman and what he'd done with the list of jobs, but Bilbo had been very short and said he didn't want to hear any excuses. This was truly it....their very last chance!

For the remainder of the afternoon, the three children worked hard on picking up the mess, and going on to clean the rooms as they'd originally promised to do. They only had one problem. When Bowman mulishly insisted he be the one to nail together the bookcase, Cami did not argue. She hastily clamped a hand on Marigold's mouth and reminded the young girl that, if they weren't careful, they'd never even get to go to Frodo's party.

At the end of the afternoon, the three children trooped out of Bag-end and headed for home. Bilbo sternly told them they could come back the next day to begin making decorations for the party, but they'd still have to be on their best behavior. Since Frodo planned to stay with a friend in Bywater for a day or two, it would be a good time to complete a few preparations.

Cami felt sorry for herself and angry with Bowman as she walked along Bagshot Row. If only Sam were here, none of this would have happened! He would have stood up to Bowman and put him in his place. But Sam was gone, and Bowman didn't seem to have any respect for girls. The only thing he wanted to do was make them disappear."

In normal circumstances, Cami would have stood up to him and welcomed a knock-down fight, even if it meant a black eye. But these circumstances weren't normal. She didn't want to disappoint Bilbo about the party and, to be perfectly frank, she didn't want to lose the special treat that he had promised her. Cami thought frantically for some way to win back Bilbo's favor, not just for herself, but for the others as well. But as hard as she thought, she couldn't come up with anything.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:03 PM   #184
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Jasper awoke with a terrific headache. Feeling the sizable lump on his forhead he guessed that he had been knocked out. For how long, he did not know. The other two bandits were gone.

The young man sulked for a while over his injury, and the 'desertion' of the other two bandits. "A lot of help they are, leavin me here alone, with a broken skull an' all."

But his thoughts soon became more cheerful. At least he'd be away from that mean Evelina! He could follow the hobbits and stop them himself, then find Lobelia and take the reward alone. That will teach Evelina! With all of that money, he could stay away from home for months, and live comfortably at inns, eating well all the time.

He stood from the ground and re-traced his footsteps back to the road, where he peered out at from behind a rock cautiously. The hobbits had gone.

He checked the road and found distinct tracts leading away down the road. He followed them, staying near the edge. Eventually he came to a hill where he spotted them, but he kept low. No sense in alerting them. Surprise is much better.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:11 PM   #185
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Primrose looked at all the weary hobbits with a little frown on her face. "Cheer up," she said. "We got attacked by bandits, but we'll notify the Shirriffs of them, and we'll be fine. Have some ale and think of the party ahead. I'm going to get a room and see if I can find anyone to tend to your wounds."

They had stopped at an inn halfway to Michel Delving. The sky had grown dark too fast, Prim thought as she stepped up to the counter, her hand in her pocket and her fingers touching the little money she had left. I don't know how we're going to pay for the decorations at Michel Delving, she thought grimly. Hopefully Bilbo will have the children make some, because we're not going to be buying very many.

"Miss, if you want to say something, then say it. I've got a lot of hobbits waiting for their ale."

Prim looked up, startled, at the innkeeper. "I am so sorry, sir," she said. "We'd like two rooms, please. How much will it be?"

The innkeeper named the price, and Prim slowly pulled the coins out of her pocket, again thinking to the shopping they had ahead of them. She got the number of the rooms, then spoke up again, "And do you know of someone who could tend to my companions' wounds?"

"There's someone in the room below yours that could take care of that."

"Thank you." Prim turned to go, then stopped and stared wide-eyed at the innkeeper. "What do you mean, below ours?"

"The only rooms available are on the second story," said the innkeeper. "Now is that all?"

"Second story? Why do you have a second story?"

"When my father built this inn, he was too poor to buy enough land to have just one wide building, so he had to build a tall one. Now is that all."

"Yes," said Prim. Even second stories are better than bandits, she thought. I hope we won't run into anymore of those.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:24 PM   #186
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Jasper was tired. He had lain awake the entire night, constantly thinking that he was hearihg something. His imagination was terrifying him.

The next morning he followed the hobbits, and within an our found that they had gone to a small inn. He walked over to it, went through the courtyard; and, pulling his cloak over his face, entered the inn.

There was no sign of the hobbits. He ordered something at the bar, and after eating a little bought himself a room for the night. He chuckled to himself now, thinking of how his companions were probably spending a night out in the wild.

He had several options. He could try to find his group, attempt to stop the hobbits on his own, or simply leave the Shire altogether and make for Bree. If the other hobbits did not see him, he was quite safe, for they had no idea a bandit had followed them. He sat back, wieghing his options...
Old 03-07-2003, 05:37 PM   #187
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

That was typical.
Just when Pearl had thought things couldnīt get any worse- they had. First they had been attaked. Then, a second-story room. Then she was the unfortunate one to bathe LAST- and now she saw she was getting freckels.

Groaning, she left the bathroom, and entered the room she was sharing with Prim, Crystal, Melilot and Anabell. The others were talking, Prim looking worried.

Pearl went to the window, opening the dark courtains. The last blazes of the setting sun burst in. Sighing, Pearkl sat down on her bed and started massaging her feet. She grimly mumbeled to herself about "Freckels-making-her-ugly; roads-not-safe; dratted-second-floor: feet-falling-off and so on and so on. She was so deeply engaged in feeling sorry for herself she didnīt even notice someone had sat down next to her.

"And I suppose thatīs all you care about right now?" Crystal said. Starteled, Pearl looked up.

"Honestly, I knew you tend to be a bit egoistic, but that egoistic? YOUR feet hurt, YOU have freckels, YOU donīt feel safe, YOU had to bath last... do you ONLY care about yourself?!"

Pearl stated at her. She and Crystal had gotten on well for the last few days, but enough was enough.

"Oh?" she yelled back. "Iīm egoistic, yes? Whoīs been nothing but complaining about everything for the last 12 hours, you or me? And for your information I am not egoistic. I am simply tired and felt sorry for you being wounded. But why am I wasting my time-"

"YOU? Wasting YOUīRE time?" Cystal yelled back. "You waste so much time on make-up, a conversation might be something sensible for a change!"

"YOU of all people are telling me about being sensible?"

Half an hour later they were both horse and fuming with anger, but both felt better.

"Crystal?"

"What, you git?"

"Itīs good to have a friend like you"

"Yeah, Pearl. Itīs good to have someone like you too..."
Old 03-07-2003, 07:19 PM   #188
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Right now, Melilot would have liked nothing better than to curl up and bawl. Her leg ached like anything, and she'd never had more than a sprained wrist before for all her daring (daring, of course, meaning climbing on fences trying to bother her sister when she was a little girl), and to top it all of it was bandits who cut her leg, and now they were running out of money and had to sleep in a second-story bedroom, and Prim was all shaken up, and now Pearl and Crystal were fighting...

She ate quickly and took a fast bath, scrubbing her injured leg viciously, as though to try and wash the gash away. All she got for her efforts was a stab of pain from a the soap stinging the wound, and she would have given a mighty howl had not her voice been so hoarse from all the screaming that she hadn't done.

It was not in Melilot Bracegirdle's character to be brave, or courageous, or mighty in battle. It was not in Melilot Bracegirdle's character to be valiant while being attacked by bandits. And it was most certainly not in Melilot Bracegirdle's character not to weep when she had been hurt.

She walked with an exaggerated limp out of the bathroom, turning it over to whoever was next in line, and sat huffily on the bed. She re-wrapped her leg and stuffed her curls into a towel. Reasonably pleased with the result of these two actions, she threw herself prostrate on the bed and began to weep silently. Drat and blast surprise parties, road-trips, and most especially bandits!

Sam sat huddled by the window, trying not to look out of it. He wished to goodness that Elanor had been there, but she was in the girls' room, and he was in the boys'. Everyone else was taking baths and talking about the bandits, and what were they going to do now, they could hardly take the ladies home with all those dratted bandits on the road! And what about the money, they were running out, and hadn't Melilot said something about free inns, this one certainly wasn't...

Sam only half-listened to their talk, mostly sitting and feeling sorry for himself. He really wished that he had never suggested that he and Elanor should leave, and most of all he wished that that Bowman hadn't ever come along. It was all his fault, it was! If he hadn't come and made things difficult, Sam never would've thought of leaving and breaking his promise to Mr. Bilbo...

A sob rose in Sam's throat. He had broken his promise to Mr. Bilbo, and see where it had gotten them? Attacked by bandits, that's where! Oh, it was all his fault, not Bowman's. This is all your fault, Samwise Gamgee, he thought harshly, scowling at himself. Stop blaming Bowman, he really hadn't done anything. You should've known better. Mr. Bilbo was wrong to trust you.

That thought was too much for Sam, and he burst out into uncontrollable sobs.

Merri's post

Elanor curled up by the window, tuning out the conversations going on around her.
Back when this all began, she had wished she were going with the traveling hobbits. So much excitement! So much adventure! But now that she was with them, she wished she were safe at home, with Cami and Marigold and even the distasteful Bowman . . .

She drew her knees up to her chin and allowed for a few tears to fall. Would they mind very much if she snuck into the boys' room to visit Sam? She glanced at the older hobbits. They seemed to be distracted.

I might as well take my chance. She tiptoed away and crept out into the hallway, keeping against the walls and in shadows.

"Sam," She whispered, tugging on his sleeve.

Orual's post

"Elanor!" Sam said hoarsely, and throwing all caution to the wind he hugged her tightly. "How did you know I was hoping you could be here?"

"I didn't, but I knew I wanted to be here," Elanor responded. She studied Sam's face. "You were crying," she said.

"So were you," Sam rejoined, stubbornly. Then he laughed, a little hiccupping laugh that sounded like it was half a sob. "I want to go home," he whispered, and another hot tear slid down his cheek.

"Me too," said Elanor, "but we can't, can we."

"No," Sam replied, "but that doesn't mean that I can't be homesick and teary about it."

Elanor had no response to that, so they were just content with sitting and crying on each other, and trying not to look out the high second-story window.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 03-08-2003, 07:29 PM   #189
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami, and Marigold, and Bowman had spent much of the next afternoon at Bag-end working on the decorations for the party. Cami and Marigold sat on one side of the room making a flower chain, and Bowman on the other working on a large paper dragon. At least there were no fights or loud squabbles. Once or twice, she and Bowman had glared at each other over who should get first dibs on the glue, but, with that one exception, things were generally quiet.

After they'd worked for a while, Cami told the others she had to run, "I left my jacket over at Miz Loeblia's the other day. Plus she's making me clean up the mess in the fireplace."

Cami ran out the door and was soon on Miz Loeblia's doorstep. Miz Lobelia had her come inside, and work for several hours cleaning up the last of the mess from the infamous chimney sweep incident. Cami finally gathered up the ashes, and finished scrubbing out the hearth.

It was at that point that Miz Lobelia politely interrupted and asked her to go out to the henhouse to collect some eggs. Wanting to be cooperative, Cami ran out to the shed and began to look under the broody hens. When she came to the last hen, she was surprised to find something soft under the hay. It seemed to be a green cloth of some sort. Tugging on the edge of it, a waistcoat soon emerged that was conspicuously missing a button--the very button that Cami had found near the path where Belle had fallen. Someone had obviously put the coat there, hoping to hide it. Someone who thought the presence of that coat looked mighty suspicious, and might tie him in with what had happened to Belle.

Cami stuffed the waistcoat under her skirts, thinking it might possibly come in handy for keeping Lotho in line. Cami ran back inside, and went into Lotho's bedroom where Miz Lobelia said she'd left her coat. Cami picked up her coat and was about to leave, when a cluster of five silver coins on Lotho's table suddenly caught her eye. The coins were spilling out of Lotho's little change purse. Cami picked up the coins and looked closely at them. She gasped in disbelief. These had to be the same coins that Mister Bilbo had given to her.

Cami remembered three of Bilbo's coins had deep scratches on the back. Just like three of the five silver coins neatly stacked on Lotho's table. This couldn't be a coincidence. For the first time, she recalled how she had dropped the money in the bakery and Lotho had helped her pick it up. He had obviously slipped the pennies in her purse and kept five of the silver coins.

Cami was about to snatch up the silver coins to return them to the rightful owner when Miz Lobelia hastily came through the door. Cami nervously turned, muttered her good byes and scurried out the door, sprinting back in the direction of Bag-end, hoping to catch Marigold and Bowman before they left for the day.

As she ran, she thought. We could tell Mister Bilbo about this and let him handle it. Or we could figure out a way ourselves to get Lotho to return the money! She liked the last idea best and wondered how they could manage it. Then she remembered the waistcoat under her skirts and grinned. Surely there had to be a way to confront the boy with the truth and pressure him to give the money back.

Cami ran up to Bag-end and rang the bell. Mister Bilbo ushered her into the drawing room where Bowman and Margold were just finishing their work. "Come here you two," she whispered. "Look what I found in the Sackville-Baggins house, and you won't believe what else was there!" Then she leaned forward and told the two children about everything that had happened and her idea for getting even with Lotho.

"We could all be heroes!" Cami pointed out jubilantly. For the first time, the three children had a goal they could all agree on....wanting to get even with Lotho! They agreed to meet again the next afternoon and set up a little plot of their own.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-10-2003, 12:53 PM   #190
theWhiteLady
Wight

Sting

Throughout the night, Evelina and Bandolin had slowly followed the dirt road, taking care to make sure the hobbit party had not left the mainway. Only the first light of dawn was being painted upon the clouds as they crept round a clump of trees and spotted the comfortable inn where the troop of hobbits lay snoozing peacefully. An early bird sang a short tune before flying towards the rising sun, and his abscence made the morning seem even more quiet and still than before. Evelina was sore, tired, and unhappy. The last thing she needed was for Jasper to have been caught; the lady Bandit had a nasty feeling he would easily squeal about her own participation in the attack, and she knew the hobbits would be none too happy about it. Although she had warned her
accomplices not to cause any serious damage, Evelina had noticed Jasper clubbing one fat hobbit in the head before running off.
With a grimace, she stopped and caught Bandolin’s shoulder.

“Stay here,” she whispered. “I’ll go inside the inn and try to find out from the
innkeeper whether or not Jasper has been caught. The whole town will be buzzing about it if he is. And do not move,” she added sternly and Bandolin nodded his assent grumpily. Why was it Evelina got to go into the inn where there was food? Their spoils from the basket had run out sometime during the night, and candy was none too filling.

Before starting their hunt, Evelina had shed the red dress, knowing it would be a dead give away should they be spotted by any of the local shirrifs, and she also took care to pull her dark hair into a bun. Though she was dirty, Evelina hoped she would not attract too much attention. Carefully, she pushed open the wooden door and noted happily that the front desk was empty. The common room was also quiet; then again, it was rather early. Evelina took a seat by the doorway and waited for someone to arrive.

It took not long, really just a few minutes, for an echoing patter of footsteps to announce to the Bandit that at least one inhabitant of the inn was awake. The footfalls were rather hard for a small hobbit, however, but the mystery was solved as a tall man stooped under the low doorframe and a ray of light illuminated, for a moment, his rough face. Evelina caught her breath and let it out again with a slight
hiss, her face turning sour. When she spoke, however, her voice was sweet as sugar.

“Why, Jasper!” she exclaimed softly. “Fancy meeting you here.”

Jasper froze at the familiar voice, more threatening with the friendly tones than if she had yelled.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]
Old 03-10-2003, 01:17 PM   #191
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

The company set out late the next morning. They had lost much time, Primrose thought glumly, in having their wounds tended. We'll have to make up for that today.

"All right, everyone," she said. "This is the last lap... or rather, the second to last. Once we get to Michel Delving, we're going straight home."

"What about Tuckborough?"

"We don't have the time," said Primrose firmly. "If we went to Tuckborough, we'd get back one day after the party. We need to go to Michel Delving for the few decorations."

She reached into her pocket and pulled out the few precious coins she had left. "There. That's all we have. No more inns, I'm afraid." With that, they walked on.

About another mile down the road, Melilot suddenly grabbed Prim's sleeve and pointed. "Look, Prim, look! Do you see something moving up ahead?"

Primrose followed Mel's finger to the right side of the road amongst some trees. Yes, there was something moving. "Arm yourselves, everyone," she said, her voice hoarse. Please, no more bandits, she thought, closing her eyes for a brief moment.

That moment was all it took for Sam and Elanor to burst into merry laughter. Prim opened her eyes, staring down at them, but not looking to what was on the road ahead. "What are you laughing at?" she hissed. "Quiet."

"Close your eyes..." said Sam, taking her arm.

"Keep them closed," Elanor added, taking her other arm.

Primrose was puzzled, but she did as they told her. She was led up the road by the two children, and then told to stop. Suddenly she felt warm breath on her face. She stifled a scream, and willingly obeyed when the children shouted, "Open your eyes!"

She found herself looking into two large, gentle, kind brown eyes. "Merimas?" she said in a trembling voice. She threw her arms around the pony's neck. "Wonderful pony!" she said, choking on tears. "I thought I'd never see you again." Then she stepped back, brushing the tears away from her eyes and looking at everyone. "You probably think I'm very silly, crying over my pony like this," she said.

"No we don't," said Pearl. "We know how much you love him."

Primrose gave Pearl a quick hug. "Please," she said to everyone, "can we stop here for a moment? Just a moment. I want to tell Merimas all that has happened to us since he left."

"Of course!" everyone laughed, and Prim settled down to give the pony a full account.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 03-10-2003, 03:05 PM   #192
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The three children had put their heads together and plotted what they would do.

"Let's not tell Bilbo," Bowman agreed, thinking he would surely get all the credit since he had only two girls to help him.

They talked and planned and connived, and finally came up with something they thought would work. Marigold and Cami would lure Lotho into a trap, and Bowman would show up at the last minute to present their evidence and turn the screws, threatening to turn over the button to the police and reveal what had happened in the bakery unless he forked over the money that he owed to Bilbo.

Cami pointed out, "I know Lotho goes to the Green Dragon every day for lunch. He always has that same change purse with him. Marigold and I will drop over there today, and get him interested enough to follow us."

"We'll meet you over under the same tree where I found the lost button. Bowman, don't forget to hide in the bushes. We don't want him to see you at first."

"Alright," growled Bowman, "but leave the hard part to me. The part where we threaten him and he gives us the money."

"Suit yourself," whispered Cami, with some irritation in her voice. "I don't care who bludgeons him over the head. I just want to get the money back for Bilbo."

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-10-2003, 05:49 PM   #193
Merri
Wight

Sting

Elanor curled up by the window, tuning out the conversations going on around her.

Back when this all began, she had wished she were going with the traveling hobbits. So much excitement! So much adventure! But now that she was with them, she wished she were safe at home, with Cami and Marigold and even the distasteful Bowman . . .

She drew her knees up to her chin and allowed for a few tears to fall. Would they mind very much if she snuck into the boys' room to visit Sam? She glanced at the older hobbits. They seemed to be distracted.

I might as well take my chance. She tiptoed away and crept out into the hallway, keeping against the walls and in shadows.

"Sam," She whispered, tugging on his sleeve.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:27 AM   #194
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Cami had told them both her plan about catching Lotho. Marigold had to admit, she loved the idea of it even though Bowman would be helping them. They formed a plan, She and Cami would get Lotho to come with them and then they would get him to give the money back.

Bowman had said something stupid like he would do the 'hard' part. Marigold managed to control herself very well, although she knew quite well that she could do the 'hard' part just as well as he could.

[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 03-11-2003, 08:19 AM   #195
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Jasper walked in between Evelina and Bandolin. "I swear that I was merely following them so I could help! I hit a tree and was knocked out!," he argued for the umpteenth time that day.

"Shut your dirty little mouth! You knew quite well that our next job was to cut down that tree. That's the one place you're really needed. And, just for running off, your goin' to be doing the work, all of it! Me an' Bandolin will just sit back and watch you."

Jasper was furious about the incident, and especially about being found. All his hopes had melted away, and there was nothing he could do about his situation. But he vowed revenge on Evelina... When this is over.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:03 AM   #196
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Once again, they were one their way. The road to Michel Delving was nice and even, and spirits were higher again. Crystal and Elanor were chatting happily, and even Prim looked less bothered and worried.

"Good!", Pearl thought. Things were going rather well. They had gotten their sixth pony back, there was no sight of a bandit, the sun was out again. Smiling, Pearl remebered and old song they had sung as children.

OCC: This is to the tune of The Twelve Days of Xmas

When hobbits party, what will they need?
A big fat cake for you and me!

Two roasted cows
and a big, fat cake for you and me

When hobbits party what will they need?
Three fireworks,
Two roasted cows
and a big fat cake for you and me

Four tons of leaf,
Three fireworks
Two roasted cows
and a big fat cake for you and me!

Five pots of stew
Four tons of leaf,
Three fireworks
two roasted cow-

Pearl stopped. Oh my gosh. She had just realized that, the way it looked, they didnīt have ANY FOOD YET! Some candied fruit, yes, but no real food! How in the name of the Sackville-Bagginses were they going to feed a load of hungry hobbits with no food?!
"I have to ask Prim about this," she said to herself, and mooved in her leaderīs direction.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 03-12-2003, 10:57 PM   #197
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Primrose, I was just thinking, and I realized that we have no real food," said Pearl, trotting her pony alongside the cart.

Prim was silent for a long time, looking stunned.

"Is that bad?" Elanor, who was sitting beside her, asked. "Can't we just make food or buy it somewhere?"

"Thank you, Elanor," said Primrose, smiling at the girl. "Pearl, I suppose the only thing to do is dash by the Bywater or the Hobbiton market when we get back."

Pearl nodded. "I just wanted to make sure it was all in hand," she said.

"Well, to tell you the truth, it wasn't until you came and brought it up."

"Why not just buy food at Michel Delving?" Sam questioned.

"I thought of that, Sam," said Primrose, moving Merimas into a trot. She wanted to hurry. "But I think we'd all prefer the style of Hobbiton or Bywater that we have so often."

They continued on at a quick pace to try to get the Michel Delving before dark.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 03-12-2003, 11:54 PM   #198
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It was lunchtime at the Green Dragon Inn. Cami and Marigold had run down to the Inn, and hidden outside in the bushes, waiting for Lotho to to inside. Once they saw the hobbit enter, they'd slipped in behind him and gone over to the bar. Cami was carrying a very fat change purse that seemed to be filled with a goodly number of coins.

Cami made a point of holding it out in front of her so that everyone could see exactly what she was doing. The two girls sat down at a table, which was located right next to the one where Lotho was sitting and eating his lunch. Then they put their heads together and began talking in a tone that was loud enough for Lotho to hear their discussion very clearly.

"Marigold, you're sure you can do this?"

The younger girl solemnly nodded her head. "I'm sure."

"But this is a lot of money," Cami countered. "It's to pay for all the beef and chicken and pork we'll need for the dinner. You heard what Mister Bilbo said. If we lose it, we're sunk. There won't be any party at all!"

Lotho looked up from his lunch and stared over to the table where Marigold and Cami were sitting.

"I know, I know. I'll run straight to the butcher's, the one who lives north of town, and put an order in on the meet."

With that exchange, Marigold snatched the purse out of Cami's hand and raced out the door of the Inn. Lotho nonchalantly went up to pay his bill, then hurried quickly out the door. Last in line came Cami, staying far enough back so she could keep an eye on things, but evade detection by Lotho.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 03-13-2003, 10:59 AM   #199
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

"Thwock!" Jasper swung the axe again, connecting solidly with the large tree in front of him. He was nearly through, but it had taken him over an hour. He was tired, sweaty, and grumpy to say the least.

Finally he felled the large tree, which tumbled across the road. It proved an effective barrier, as the road was high on either side. The bandits then climbed the hill on the far side of the road, ready to jump down as the hobbits passed by them.

"Now, this time we will try to nab one of them. But remember, wait until they sweat for a little trying to move that tree before jumping out at them. I will grab one of the smaller hobbits, and I want you to to try to break the wheel on the cart; and carry it off if you can."

The bandits nodded. They waited for the hobbits, and soon heard the sound of the cart coming down the road...
Old 03-13-2003, 10:20 PM   #200
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Stop, stop!" Primrose said, pulling Merimas to a halt. "There's a fallen tree on the road ahead."

Everyone jumped off their ponies and hurried over. Prim was frowning. "Does anyone besides me notice something strange about this tree."

"Yes," said Sam instantly. "It didn't fall. It was cut."

"Prim....?" Mel looked nervously at Primrose.

"Probably just some mischief-maker," said Prim, but she looked nervous as well. "I think we should just - "

She never finished. There was a yell from the bandits as they burst out onto the group of hobbits . . .