The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2002, 11:58 AM   #41
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's a story that belong in Chinken Soup, LadyElbereth. I guess that's why You have five bones and I have 3.18 [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Unfortunetly, there are a lot of people that don't give shucks to that. Too bad everyone can't be like Marcie.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:31 PM   #42
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gosh! I go away for one day and this thread grows and grows and grows. Heh. I have something else to add.

It's true that even in Lord of the Rings, evil wasn't completely destroyed. But now I realize that what actually happened was that good was promoted to the extent that evil's power was diminished to uselessness. Does that make sense? I know what I'm trying to say, I just don't know how to say it.

But anyway, my point is, if that's the case (that evil wasn't completely destroyed, its power was just diminished in the face of good), couldn't a modern quest like Frodo's in Lord of the Rings still be possible? I mean, not to destroy evil completely, but to diminish its power.

I think the reason there are so many bad things in the world is that people just don't care enough to get up and act, and if they do, most of the time they eventually loose faith in all possibility of conquering, and give up. But if enough of us are willing to promote good in the face of evil, as we showed in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks (I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this example), well, it's true we still wouldn't be able to destroy evil completely, but at least we would be able to weaken its power, wouldn't we?

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 09-03-2002, 12:24 AM   #43
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is sort of on the point, but not much. After the attacks on 9/11, all branches of the military reached their goals in recruiting, which none of them had done for a few years. 9/11 can be compared to Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941. It reminds us what it means to be an American, and that we cannot be defeating, pysically, or emotionaly, (sorry if I got a little off-topic)

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli Son Of Gloin ]
Old 09-03-2002, 10:03 AM   #44
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

It's sort of like embarassing the evil in the face of good, the way I take it, Merri (actually, I added my own idea).

making evil useless is key, as long as it is no linger is the majority. Evil will be persecuted in justice, and Good will reign. And all that is possible is everyone realize the measure of good to be so huge in its simplicity.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote