The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #1
Snorri Swifthammer
Animated Skeleton

Snorri Swifthammer has just left Hobbiton.
Lord of the Rings: The Musical (No Joke!)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../arts_rings_dc

This seems very interesting. I reserve judgement unti more details come out. *has an image of orcs singing "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way"*
Snorri Swifthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Hmmm. Hmmm, hmmmm

Well, it's gonna be quite....multicultural. That's all I can tell from reading that article. Hey, it may even be good, why not? All that it needs to do is treat certain scenes with respect.
But..eh, maybe I'm too conservative, but the idea of a musical after LOTR makes me cringe a bit.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

From the article-
Quote:
There will be no singing and dancing Hobbits.
What?! If you're not going to have singing and dancing hobbits, why even make a LOTR musical?

Who else is going to sing and dance? Saruman? The ents?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm interested in seeing the 'Gandalf-Witch King at the Gate' song and dance number.

"I will enter the city!"

"You will not enter this city over my broken staff."

Just think, the tension builds until the brass section goes wild, then in the silence thereafter we hear this tiny high-pitched voice sing, "Oh Faramir, Oh Faramir, Oh Faramir's a burning..."

Can we pre-order tickets?
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Gollem tap dances. And the orcs do the chorus line. According to a local Toronto paper.

Not.

Well, a helicopter once landed on the stage when Miss Saigon played in Toronto. No telling what can be done with stage hydraulics these days.

On the other hand, there is Wagner to think about. One hopes the producers have.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Well, the stage production of His Dark Materials, staged at the National Theatre in London, made very effective use of puppetry, costumes and staging technology (as well as the actors themselves) to produce what I thought was an excellent production. The same sort of thing might well be possible with Lord of the Rings (although I am not sure that Hobbits as puppets would work ). However, even though it was presented as two 3 hour plays, large chunks of the Dark Materials books were jettisoned for the stage production. Imagine how much of LotR (the book) they will have to leave out for this proposed musical. Although, as it is a musical, I suppose that numerous pages of dialogue and exposition can be replaced with song.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
Snorri Swifthammer
Animated Skeleton

Maybe we'll see musical LotR crossovers soon....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annie.jpg (85.1 KB, 647 views)
Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Snorri Swifthammer
Animated Skeleton

Or maybe one of my favorites...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gollum.jpg (30.2 KB, 635 views)
Old 03-17-2005, 07:57 AM   #9
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Muddy York becomes the Shire

Thank you Sauce for reminding us of the fairly successful adaptation of Pullman's His Dark Materials.

I would think that it is less a matter of converting the dialogue to song and the action to dance as to translate the many extensive passages of description of Middle earth into the set design and stage scenery. The theatre for this production, The Princess of Wales theatre (yes, it was named for the late Diana, Princess of Wales) will be renovated so that the stage will have 16 elevators.

Perhaps more intriguing for audiences will be the renovation of the audience area into a Middle-earth forest. Obviously the backers of this production realise how much many readers of Tolkien long to live in Middle-earth.

But don't let me stop the jokes. Here's a link for The Lord of the Rings Musical to inspire you all. Some might be impressed with the opening intro and music.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
There having that in Toronto. Which is near me. Im definetly going when it comes out.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Finally a LOTR event that I can go to. They are always too far away for me to go. However, I hope this musical won't make LOTR seem ridiculus.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks for the link Bb. Colour me impressed.
The 'mission statement' by the creative team is encouraging too:

Quote:
'Our respect for Tolkien's book means that every step of the adaptation to the stage has been rigorously thought through to avoid any possibility of trivialising the material.'
All my thoughts of seeing Legolas singing 'I Talk To The Trees' or the Hobbits dancing like Oompa lumpas are, mercifully, fading

Last edited by Eruanna; 03-18-2005 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Edited to add that I've just noticed this is my 1,000 post!
Eruanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:01 PM   #13
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I, personally, think that it's going to be beautiful. From what I've read, and from what I've heard of the composers... I think it's definitely not going to be what other musicals are. I am very excited about it.
In fact, I'm auditioning for it. I'm just waiting for the Toronto audition dates to be announced.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Good luck to you for the audition, Tigerlily! Now that would give all Downers two reasons to go see it!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #15
Dragon Reborn
Pile O'Bones

Dragon Reborn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, at first I wasn't so sure, I mean, now there are two things to live up to now- the creation in the book and the creation in the movie. But it certainly is exciting, and they have already been working on it for four years...I'll definitely have to go.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:28 PM   #16
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Here is the information on the auditions for the musical: here.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:15 PM   #17
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I find it strange that none of the audition calls I've read have requested that actors bring a monologue. I'm pretty sure, though, that a main casting point for this show is going to be looks. It's all gonna be how tall this person can make that one look, whether or not this person could play off one or more of the races of Middle Earth... etc. I'm just guessing... it seems like it is going to be a hard show to cast.
I'm going to be at the Toronto open call in less than two weeks. I'm scared, but excited! I have so many odds against me for these auditions that it's crazy... I'm crazy... but it's the inspiration of the story alone that's keeping my head on straight about going. The characters in the story kept going despite their odds, so it would be shameful of me to not use that as inspiration for my audition.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #18
Cappellaraven

I must admit... I am intrigued. I wish I could audition for it, golly that would rock, but alas I live too far away. At first the thought of a LoTR Musical seemed bogus, but now that I have seen more information on it, I might just have to see it when it comes to Broadway! Good Luck on the auditions Tigerlily!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:55 PM   #19
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
There is an audition spot in Vancouver and though I'm young and oh-so-unexperienced, I'm oh-so-tempted...yes extremely tempted. Just imagine how cool it would be to get involved!
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #20
ElementFire
Animated Skeleton

ElementFire has just left Hobbiton.
there's a musical of LotR? God help us all..... I can just picture Frodo and Sam marching up mt. doom singing a song....

I don't do kung fu, I do kung lamb!!!
ElementFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:14 AM   #21
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots They come

For those of you who like to keep abreast of the casting news and production progress of the musical, here is an article from a Canadian newspaper. Rather than link to it, I have copied the article as links like this are notoriously short-lived. It is from The Globe and Mail newspaper online. I had no idea Elijah Wood was another Great White North export.

Quote:
Finding FrodoThe open auditions for next year's stage show of the Tolkien classic are shaping up to be a three-ring circus of wannabe hobbits, orcs and elves, ALEXANDRA GILL reportsBy ALEXANDRA GILL

Monday, April 4, 2005 Page R1

VANCOUVER -- There was no mistaking it for an audition of America's Next Top Model. The search for Frodo began in Vancouver on Saturday morning with the first open casting call for the $27-million stage adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, set to premiere in Toronto next February. Even by the self-effacing standards of reality TV's fame-hungry free-for-alls, it was not a pretty sight.

More than 300 wannabe elves, hobbits and orcs turned up to strut their crooked noses, lumpy bodies, pale skin and narrow-set eyes in front of casting director Stephanie Gorin at the Westin Grand Hotel. There are 52 roles up for grabs in what promoters are calling the most expensive production in the history of theatre. The casting directors are looking for conventional stage actors with unique singing voices, plus an ensemble of dexterous circus performers. As for physical appearance, they're interested in all shapes and sizes. Height -- 5 foot 7 and under for most of the parts -- is the only restriction.

"It's not often you hear of a casting call where they're looking for short singers with unusual looks," says Mike Rinaldi, a 30-year-old Vancouver actor who stands 5 foot 5, with a round bulbous nose and long, thinning hair.

"There are a lot of great-looking hobbits around here," he notes, as the hotel's second-floor lobby fills up with dozens more hopefuls, nervously practising scales, stretching and strumming their mandolins. "But I thought there would be more people in pointy hats with swords and stuff."

Advertisements

Rinaldi, who once photo-doubled on a film set for Elijah Wood, the Canadian who plays Frodo in the Peter Jackson film trilogy, said his friends encouraged him to audition because he kind of looks like a hobbit himself. It would seem he also has the "feisty" presence and "secure baritone" voice the directors were looking for. Rinaldi's rousing rendition of Big Rock Candy Mountain, accompanied by his red ukulele, earned him a call back to read for the role of Sam, Frodo's stalwart hobbit companion.

"I was singing in C and they moved the pitch up to an F," he exclaims, after emerging triumphant from the audition room. "But they seemed to like it. They asked me to come back tomorrow."

This first round of cross-country auditions will continue in Toronto this Friday and in Montreal on April 29. Kevin Wallace, the British producer who has teamed up with David Mirvish (the Toronto impresario behind Les Misérables and The Lion King) and Michael Cohl (tour boss for the Rolling Stones) to mount the Toronto production, advises Canadian aspirants to choose simple songs that they're comfortable delivering without any libretto.

"What we're really looking for are interesting people who have something that draws you to them as storytellers, whether in song or in speech," says Wallace, speaking from London earlier this week. He and director Matthew Warchus will be arriving in Canada in early May for the second round of auditions, to be held in Toronto.

"Without being discourteous to the tradition of musical theatre, we're discouraging people from looking at this as a musical," explains Wallace, a former producer with Andrew Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Group.

The music, which includes 14 landmark numbers, is being written by Indian composer A. R. Rahman and the Finnish folk group Varttina, with musical supervisor Christopher Nightingale. As Wallace explains, the score will give Middle-Earth a unique sound that, "for want of a better word, requires an ethnic vocal quality." There are, however, exceptions for certain leading roles.

"The person who plays Frodo has to be very comfortable singing, but he does not need a huge singing voice," he says. "It's a voice that needs to be able to deliver -- someone who can stand up at a party and people would really enjoy hearing him sing.

"Whereas Legolas, one of the elves, will be a soloist, accompanied by very exquisite music. His great strength will be his voice, probably a tenor, but he will also have to have a very beautiful aura about him. Gimli, on the other hand, is one of the Earthbound dwarfs and sings a beautiful lament. He must have a deep resonant voice, almost like a Welsh miner.

"And then there's Gollum, who has a very physical role and one big song in which the two characters within him communicate. It's a big virtuoso piece of singing that takes a traditional hobbit song and perverts it with a darkened delivery. The actor must have an unusual, folk-type voice and wide range."

Although the producers have worked out an arrangement with Canadian Actors' Equity that allows them to cast, if necessary, British performers in up to five lead roles, Wallace says the casting is still wide open and he is confident about the talent pool available in Canada. The only difficult aspect will be fulfilling the height requirements.

"How many actors are 5 foot 7 and under? A big wave of actors is automatically eliminated from the process. I do hope there are lots of short ones out there in Canada."

Back in Vancouver, there seems to be no shortage of smallish actors. Still, some of the casting assistants responsible for measuring the applicants just before they head into the audition room are surprised by the discrepancies they've found.

"You wouldn't believe how many people lie on their resumes," exclaims Melanie Crystal, as she measures J. P. Winslow, a 35-year-old folk singer who stands exactly 5 foot 6.

On a brief break midway through the day, casting director Stephanie Gorin already looks exhausted. By noon, she had auditioned 65 people, nine of whom were being called back the next day.

"We've seen all shapes, sizes, colours and types of voices," she laughs. "We've found a few potential hobbits, some circus performers and a lovely male singer who could be a Legolas. But you can't really tell until they come back and read."

Gorin couldn't believe the huge turnout, the biggest she's ever seen in Vancouver. "We've got 300 people to see today, in addition to two days of appointments that I've already done.

"And we're only one step into the journey," she says, shaking her head tiredly. "Imagine what it's going to be like in Toronto."
Old 04-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #22
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Hee hee! My friend told me about this. It sounds great from what i've read. I'm just waiting for it to roll into town though... I'm obsessed with theatre...

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Maybe they would use Billy Boyd again ....... he is a trained singer and would make the height....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #24
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Good luck with your audition Tigerlily were all rooting for ya!
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #25
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

So, perhaps I should recap my experience at the auditions, no?

Well, I arrived there bright and early... around 8:30 in the morning, and there was already a huge line out the door and around the parking lot. I discovered later that I was number 408 of the non-Equity actors, and there were at least 300 or more Equity seen before they even started with non-Equity... so that means there were more than 700 people seen before me. Yikes!
There were television crews all over of the place... luckily I avoided them because I was not "interesting" enough. Yes, there were some "interesting" people there. You could tell that there were just some die hard fans there who probably had no acting experience whatsoever. A few cloaks, elf ears, and one person with a large walking stick. I was in line next to three lovely people who I befriended that day. If I remember correctly, their names were Mariem, Rob, and Adrianna. Mariem and Adrianna were both singer/actors, and Rob was an actor/combat fighter. We were out in the sun in line for about 4 hours before we got to the sign in desk. After signing in we waited almost another 4 hours before we were seen. We found a little diner in the building where the auditions were being held and camped out there until our audition times. It was a long wait, but making friends in line sure did help out a lot. Many people were crowded in this large gym-like room with a disco ball on the ceiling... sitting, sleeping, or whatever, waiting to be seen. Just say "moo," because this was a cattle call if I've ever seen one.
They were taking us in groups of 10 to be seen by the screeners. When we got downstairs there was someone there with a tape measure to make sure that people weren't lying about their height on their resumes. The woman I sang for was nice, but she told me that my voice was too classical sounding for what they are looking for. It probably didn't help that I'm not Canadian, too, so she didn't recognize any of my resume credits. So, I didn't make it past round one, and neither did any of my line friends. There were many, many, many people who did not make it past the screeners.
I was so tired by the time I was seen that I fear hearing my voice. Ah well, I plan on auditioning again if they bring it to the States. Plus, I will have, hopefully, seen it by then and can try to mold my voice accordingly to match what they are looking for.
All day all you heard was "no vibrato," so they want very clear true toned voices that are light... that what it seems like to me.

By being in Toronto, though, I learned a little more about what is going into thie production and I am even more excitied by it now. It's strange, because I will forever link Toronto with LOTR in my head, because Toronto is where I attended The Gathering of the Fellowship (which, btw, they are organizing another one to coincide with the opening of the musical next year www.tolkiengathering.com), and now it's where I went to audition for the LOTR Musical. I tell ya, though, I think that this show it going to be stunning. I saw some skeletons of the puppetry and stilts they are using for the Black Riders... gah! Amazing! I can't wait to see this show!
Old 04-24-2005, 08:12 PM   #26
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Thanks for recounting your audition experience, Tigerlily Gamgee. I'm glad you can be so philosophical about such a cattle call. They are trying! Apparently there were over 300 people too at the Vancouver audition, and there were several others as well.

Will you be seeing the IMAX screening of LotR? I saw Star Wars on IMAX, so I would imagine that might be quite a thrill.

I have heard some very interesting thoughts about this musical, points which I think in many ways are very complimentary to Tolkien himself.

First of all, the guidelines for the roles are really very unique. It is rare to be told, "No one over 5' 7" tall"! And there are some other criteria for size and appearance and voice that provide alot of hope for people who don't fall into the usual tall, willowy and blonde categories. It is good to see actors and actresses who don't have the usual looks and appearance being given a chance. I bet Tolkien would appreciate that. (Hey, I remember seeing a picture of you. You are gorgeous! I couldn't see you as a dwarf or hobbit, but then, I don't know how talented you are!)

People are also hoping that this musical provides a much needed shot in the arm for a city whose arts community still has not recovered from the SARS epidemic scare. Right, the Rolling Stones concert didn't do it. I think that is one reason why the local governments fell behind the Mervishes to support the show there after plans for a London theatre fell through. There should be lots of jobs not only for actors and singers and musicians but all kinds of stage hands. And then the local hotels and restaurants, etc. Sort of like The Shire recovering from the Scouring!

Apparently this production has exclusive rights to the show for 18 months in North America and 9 in England.

So, while Christopher might cringe and JR might be rolling over in the grave, there might indeed be some very positive things to come out of this musical, maybe not all artistic or canonical, but still things which help an artistic community create a vision. I kind of hope that such a positive potential would not be sneared at by a writer as generous as Tolkien.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #27
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Indeed, Bethberry, very well said. I think a lot of good things will come out of it. I think it's going to be another advancement in stage musicals, just as the films were for Hollywood. I remember when taking a history of musical theatre course that we talked about the shows that changed musical theatre history... I believe, if I am remembering correctly, that those included Showboat, Oklahoma, and Sweeney Todd - I'm sure about the first two, and I think the last one is correct. So, I'm hoping that this musical will just show, again, what wonders can be accomplished on the stage.
I think that Tolkien would appreciate the care and consideration going into this production... I think they are being even more particular with their casting than PJ was... of course, you can't really use special effects to make people look different heights on stage. I think it will come out great because of the care they are giving this show. I can't wait to see who they've cast!
Thanks for the compliments Many tell me I resemble Eowyn, so I was hoping for that Alas, my dream did not come true, but it will for someone else I'll have to post a link to a recording of myself once I get it. I recently sang on a demo CD for a local composer's musical, so I'll actuallyhave a recording of myself within a few months.
And, no, I didn't see the IMAX showing, because I don't actually live in Toronto, I live about 4 hours away from Toronto.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:19 AM   #28
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
So, while Christopher might cringe and JR might be rolling over in the grave, there might indeed be some very positive things to come out of this musical, maybe not all artistic or canonical, but still things which help an artistic community create a vision. I kind of hope that such a positive potential would not be sneared at by a writer as generous as Tolkien.

Since he actively collaborated with Donald Swann (and I appreciate setting a few songs is not quite the same as a full blown musical), it is not inconceivable that he might even have approved of a sincere and respectful version - especially if Edith had liked it..... and even Christopher cooperated with the Radio version

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:53 AM   #29
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Tolkien Update or spin?

I found this article on the second stage of the auditions for the Lord of the Rings musical and thought people might be interested in it. I'll copy the entire article here because links to newspaper articles don't have a long shelf life. Tigerlily, would you have been prepared for this?

Source: Michael Posner, "Why I won't be in Lord of the Rings," Globe and Mail, Saturday, May 14, 2005. Section R, "Review: Theatre", p. 2.

Quote:
THE ROAD TO THE RINGS: PART ONEWhy I won't be in Lord of the RingsIn the first of a series on the making of next year's mega-musical, The Lord of the Rings, MICHAEL POSNER goes to the gruelling boot camp that determines whether those who can sing and dance also have the stamina to handle the physically demanding showSaturday, May 14, 2005 Page R2

Disappointing as this news must surely be, I regret to report that I will not be appearing in the forthcoming production of The Lord of the Rings: the Musical. I failed boot camp. Let me explain.

The other night I had dinner with the show's lead producer, Kevin Wallace, and its director and co-writer, Matthew Warchus. Wallace and co-producer Saul Zaentz (in association with David Mirvish and Michael Cohl) are rolling the dice big-time with one of the world's most compelling artistic properties -- J.R.R. Tolkien's classic trilogy. On a working budget of $27-million, no stage musical in history has ever dared so much. If it works, Wallace and Co. will emerge laden with honours and not a little wealth. If it doesn't . . . well, let's not go there just now.

The verdict, of course, won't be in for some time. After several weeks in tryout mode, the show's world premiere will be held at Mirvish's Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto next March 23 (the first tickets go on sale tomorrow at 9 a.m. at http://www.lotr.com). With luck, a second production will open in London's Dominion Theatre in the fall of 2006 or no later than the spring of 2007. And after that, the producers fervently hope: the world.

In the meantime, it seemed like a good idea to chronicle various aspects of the most ambitious musical ever mounted -- from casting, costumes and choreography to marketing, makeup and modern technology (the last of which includes 18 mini-elevators, now being assembled in London, that will be used to move 52 actors constantly around and above the 30-tonne, $1.2-million stage).

Wallace and Warchus thought it wasn't a bad idea either, and invited me along one day this week to watch what they affectionately called "boot camp." They are, they explained, in the second round of auditions, seeing candidates called back for second viewings. Obviously they are looking for people with magical chops in the singing and acting departments. Less obviously they are also looking for people who have the energy and stamina to handle a physically demanding (punishing is probably the more apt word) 3˝-hour show, eight times a week for at least a year (the minimum contract period).

So while Wallace and Warchus sat in one audition room hearing the singers sing and the actors act, I sat in another with Rob Tannion and Alex Frith. They are the Lords of the Mats, the Vaulting Box and other equipment more typically found in fitness studios or gymnasia than in theatre rehearsal halls.

Here's what happens. If, after running the gauntlets of Wallace and Warchus, you're still a candidate for a role, you're sent down the hall to Tannion's and Frith's Definitely Not For the Faint of Heart Boot Camp. The only exemptions are actors being considered for non-physical roles.

Tannion, 35, originally from Brisbane, Australia, is the show's associate choreographer and fitness adviser. Frith, 32, a Brit, is acting as its circus-skills consultant. Using gymnastic props, techno music, and their own ingenuity, they have devised a 45-minute routine that takes one's breath away. Literally.

"The basic objective," says Tannion, a former dancer and fitness instructor, "is to look at core physical fitness, at cardiovascular fitness, and see how people deal with obstacles, and how they move as performers. So strength, endurance, yes, but also: Can they take risks safely, can they move creatively? The tests are tough on purpose, because what we do know is that the show is long and demanding, and you're going to have to be fit. And don't forget -- an audition is two ways. Some people may decide it's not the show for them."

Enter two actors, both seasoned. Ralph (a pseudonym) is 52, and built like a former linebacker -- that is, he's carrying a few extra pounds. The other, Geoff Tyler, who appeared in the recent Mirvish production of The Producers, is 35, lean and lanky, with a dancer's body.

After a few preliminary questions about fitness and fight skills, the audition begins. The first test is for balance. Standing, the actors are told to hold arms akimbo and raise one leg pointed off the floor. Then they close their eyes and try to hold the pose for as long as possible. Then they do the other leg. Geoff is pretty comfortable with this routine and barely stumbles; Ralph struggles, and afterward mouths "It's harder than it looks" in my direction.

Then, on a large, soft gym mat, Ralph and Geoff are asked to run on the spot for a full minute, lifting their legs knee-high to slap their palms. It's amazing how long a minute can seem. For the first 30 seconds, both actors get their knees up smoothly and with good pace. Then the strain starts to show. By the last 20 seconds, both have lost their form and are breathing heavily.

And they've only begun. The next test is a 30-second variation. From a squatting position, they must leap into the air and bring their knees up into a tuck. Thirty seconds of rest, otherwise known as heavy breathing, and then burpees -- the staple of many fitness regimens -- for 30 seconds. By this time, both actors are perspiring. "This is unique," says Ralph, sucking up air. "I've never had this kind of audition before."

With each exercise, the actors must count the number of completions; these are dutifully recorded and will later be compared against those of other performers.

One minute later, with their chests still heaving, Tannion asks them to hold their breath for as long as possible -- another important measure of general fitness. The worst, in a sense, is now over, but what follows is no less challenging.

To a five-minute piece of upbeat music, the actors are instructed to move creatively, without lapsing into formalized dance routines or emotional expression. And after that, they must twice navigate an obstacle course of mats and platforms of different heights, leaping from one to another, before "dying" from the height of the vault box onto a mat. Again, Tannion explains, he's looking not just for physical agility, but for how the actors creatively respond to the test, never showing the same move twice.

Afterward, Ralph says his legs are "like jelly," and he feels "whipped." But the audition has not changed his mind about wanting to be in the show. "It'll be a challenge, should they decide to put me through this. I wasn't as prepared for this as I might have been, but who would be?" Even Tyler, 17 years younger and in better shape, says he "feels like vomiting. It's like military fitness. It was pretty intense, for sure."

I spend the next few hours watching Tannion and Frith put several other actors through their paces. "Awesome," says Raymond Miller, a 23-year-old actor/dancer who shows one of the best levels of fitness I see.. "The toughest thing I've done. Not just all year, but all career. It was brutal, but I loved it."

Jay T. Schramek, 27, who starred recently in Batboy: the Musical and was in Mamma Mia! for a couple of years, says what he appreciated was that "the physicality came from such an organic place -- the movement and the flow are connected to the scenery and the set, as well as to the actor. It's brilliantly challenging because it's thought-provoking, not just endurance-challenging. It'll be an awesome show."

Crystal Martinez, currently in Mamma Mia!, calls it "one of the toughest fitness tests I've ever had. I've never experienced anything like this before."

Later, both Tannion and Frith say they were impressed with the general fitness of the actors, but that it was clear they were pushing themselves hard. "It's very telling when you can only hold your breath, after the cardio tests, for six seconds," Frith says. "If you're really fit, it should be 16 seconds."

Of course, fitness is only one barometer, and in some ways will only complicate the casting process. In each case, the producers and director will have to weigh acting and singing skills against levels of strength, agility and endurance.

They won't have to weigh mine, however.

During the third set of auditions, drill sergeants Tannion and Frith coerced me into trying the first cardio test -- the running-on-the-spot, knees-against-palms exercise. The first 30 seconds were a breeze, and I was safely into average territory with a count of 110 slaps. Everything after that is lost in a painful haze. I don't know where my count finished. I was too exhausted to count, my dreams of playing Aragorn or Frodo shattered.

In The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Legolas says, "few can foresee whither their road will lead them, till they come to its end." I can foresee, because my road just did.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #30
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Now I've had a look at the official site, I'm in two minds about this - two minds separated by a wide gulf. The music sounds interesting, with a Finnish folk group and a composer of Bollywood music involved I'm thinking of some truly bizarre scores. However, the producer worked on the musical of Whistle Down the Wind, and I can't even begin to say what a massacre they made in adapting the original film.

I'd still be likely to go and see it if it opened in London, as my curiosity would get the better of me, and I like to sample bizarre sounding entertainment (which is why I saw Jerry Springer the Opera, which was splendid). But if it's going to be bad then at least we'd get advance warning when they release songs from the soundtrack. The proof will be in the pudding as they say... I remain nervous about this, just as I was about the films.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:19 PM   #31
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Wow, a LOTR boot camp. Could I have held up for that at the time I auditioned... probably not... but I have since then started a vigorous diet/exercise program that is kicking my butt into shape. So, slowly but surely, I'm building up endurance and strength. I started this program because I know, as an actor, that I need to be more physically fit and have more agility... and a nicer body wouldn't be too bad either.

Well, at least I know now if I audition again for this what is coming. Thanks for posting that, it was quite interesting.

I can't wait to see this show with it's cast of acting superheroes.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #32
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots able to leap short hobbits in a single bound

I wonder if there will be an official LotR dentist, just in case stunt accidents have an uncanny way of reoccuring?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #33
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Brent Carver to play Gandalf announced July 26, 2005

So as much as I cringe at the idea of this musical, at least they've cast a truly great, Tony Award-winning actor to play Gandalf.

I don't intend to see it - unless the rest of the cast is equally superb, but if you want to, you can buy tickets at mirvish.com.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:23 AM   #34
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Three songs from the stage production of The Lord of the Rings were performed recently at the World Travel Market in London. It's a bit of global theatre marketing, but here's a review which gives a bit of info about some of the production:

Selling a Ticket to Middle-earth

As a teaser, we are told that the Black Riders arrive by charging through the audience (on stilts) to reach the Shire on stage. Apparently there are CDs with samples of the music from the show. The score has been composed by the Finnish group Varttina and A.H. Rahman and arranged by Christopher Nightingale.

And the marketing wizards are no longer calling this a musical but "a stage adaptation" using music, drama and lavish spectacle.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:33 AM   #35
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
I have been giving a lot of thought to making the trek up to Toronto to see this production, experiencing the same sort of curiosity that led me to the theater for FotR, a strange mixture of hope and dread. This is a bit different though.

It was just pure dread that governed until lately, for I can not imagine what a 'stage adaptation' would be like, and my initial reaction was, you've got to be joking. Perhaps they were just cashing in on the popularity of the movies. But last month, after a bit of exploration, and listening to samples of Varttina's music, a glimmer of hope is there. I think that they may have made an excellent choice, though Lalwendë, what you have said about producer concerns me.

At present I am planning to attend at some point next year, expecting the worst, of course, as I did with the movie. Hopefully, I will be similarly surprised by the effort. In any case, should I happen to see it before anyone gives their impression of it here, I will definitely let you know my thoughts.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #36
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

If anyone is interested... The Gathering of the Fellowship (www.gatheringofthefellowship.org) is having a convention next July, and one of their ticket packages includes a ticket to the musical. That's how I'm going to see it.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #37
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Now there is a good idea! Interesting guest list too.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #38
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
http://82.112.100.50/hosting/lotr/dv...ndex-flash.htm

This was just put up on the official website. It's little video about the behind the scenes and I admit, the costumes look fantastic and I'm sure the sets will be as well, considering they're designed by the same person. I'm not too sure about the music in the background though. It sounds a little bit too Lion King for my liking.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #39
Himilsillion
Animated Skeleton

Himilsillion has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

That trailer looks great. I think this will be a very good production of LoTR. Plus anything put into music well is great.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #40
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I've spent some time (NOT working on my papers, like I ought to be) exploring the official website and it looks to be interesting, to say the least! My standards are different for theater than for movies, however. There won't be time to make frivolous additions, just major cuts. But, in a staged performance, just the main plot and the spirit of the book are necessary, which is what I'll be looking for. In that aspect, I have a lot of hope for this musical! If only I could feasibly get to Toronto...