The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 03:00 AM   #41
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Guinevere, I need a Tengwar tutor.
For the benefit of the BW, whose precious time I don't want to waste (and for the curiosity of all others who don't think it's fun to decipher strange letters)

here is the translation to the Tengwar greeting in my original post (#30)

Quote:
Dear Barrow Wight,
this is just to wish you many happy returns of the day.
Thank you so much for keeping this site,
may the Downs prosper for many years to come!
Guinevere

Last edited by Guinevere; 05-15-2006 at 03:05 AM. Reason: had to alter something, as my original plan didn't work out
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #42
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
I'a'int a jumpin' outta no cake!

From our birthday, until we die,
Is but the winking of an eye. - William Butler Yeats

What can I say? 'Better late, then never'. So let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words. And a heartfelt and well deserved congratulations to Esty, for using such a devise act which allowed me to fall through her aperture. Great opening post, Esty.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #43
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
A breathless young woman dashed up the path to the mailbox, a violin bouncing against her back with each jarring step. Had she possessed the power of speech, she might have groaned at her own inexcusable tardiness. Just because I've been in far, foreign lands is no excuse to be late! she thought furiously. Mother always wondered how I could keep time well enough to play when I couldn't keep it to be anywhere else. She skidded to a halt outside the ominous dark mound, her worn boots throwing up clouds of dust, and stared in dismay at the empty mailbox. I'm really late!

Not to be daunted, she swung her oft-patched bag off of her shoulder and withdrew a sheaf of parchment that was crisp and clean in comparison to the rest of her belongings. Kneeling nervously by the door to the barrow, she slid it under the threshold, then leapt back. The parchment was the music to a birthday song that she'd composed especially for the occasion.

She quickly retreated several paces and swung her fiddle off of her back, tucking it under her chin and gripping the bow with an ease that spoke of long practice. First she played the traditional birthday song, embellishing it with chords and trills. Then she shifted the fiddle a little and began to play the song she had slipped under the door. The mute musician could not sing the words as was proper, but she thought them in her head as a counterpoint to the singing of the fiddle.

Many thanks for times well spent here,
Felicitations on six long years.
Hopeful wishes for more time near
Sharp minds, good hearts, spirits of cheer.

Measures of lore and riddles unclear,
Persist on the 'Net, don't disappear;
Let the glowing green words persevere
To welcome us all, to all appear.

After repeating the chorus and letting the last note die away, she hesitated only to secure her cherished instrument before turning and fleeing down the path which she had come. Surely the dreaded Wight would be furious with her for disturbing his valued repose.
symestreem is offline   Reply With Quote