The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2002, 06:54 PM   #41
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
LIKE POSSIBLE NOT BEING ALLOWED TO SEE TT
AIGH! That /is/ something to worry about!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

~*~Orual~*~

[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 11-12-2002, 07:17 PM   #42
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know what the problem is. Tolkien's work is so world renowned that it is almost impossible to keep your mind off of it when writing fantasy novels. I'm not saying it is a bad thing. But there is one thing that can never top Tolkien's work. Detail. Detail is what made Tolkien's writing a phenomenon. Not even the movie can top what Tolkien created.

Quote:
Lord of the Rings is a fairy tale. It never happened. Exept for somewhere in our hearts.
-Sir Ian McKellen
Old 11-12-2002, 07:27 PM   #43
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Detail, talent, and soul. Nobody writes like Tolkien anymore--he poured so much of himself into that work, so much attention, so much time, and, like you said, so much detail. But it was also the characters--if you can find me another Samwise Gamgee in any other work, I'll eat my hat. His characters are so complete that you feel you know them, and even the villains (with the possible exception of Sauron) are...not "likeable," but...oh, I don't know. I can't find the word. But there's a certain magic about LotR that nobody else has been able to replicate, and I don't think that anybody could ever hope to.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-12-2002, 08:41 PM   #44
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are you saying Sauron's likeable!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
(just kidding! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) Yep. I know what'cha mean. Ain't nothing like it anywhere! 'Tis in a class by itself.

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:35 PM   #45
Elana

Sting

well saruman is hardly likeable but i can see some sense in what he was doing...what most people would do if they were scared for their own safety..."if you can't beat them join them"....yeah but when it talks of sarumans enchanting voice i almost think of him as a good guy thats just misunderstood for a minute.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:56 PM   #46
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Ah! Don't you like Sauron???? What's wrong with you people? ^_^

LoL, excuse my stumbling. I simply couldn't think of the world--still can't. There's just a wholeness about all the characters, even the villains, that you can see them as real people and not as token evil characters. Am I making any sense? I'm trying...

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-13-2002, 08:41 PM   #47
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Sting

I think your making perfect sense, i mean it like you can see into the bad guys head for a moment and slightly understand them and why they're doing what they're doing. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:23 AM   #48
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

I get it! I'm just "pushing" your leg. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Yeah. I really like how we get into Gollum/Smeagol's head in TTT. It really makes him all the more human, (or hobbit) and pathetic! *sniff* So sad! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Old 11-14-2002, 11:04 AM   #49
Aryana

Sting

This is a message for tumil about the Hogwarts moto.
BASCIALLY to stop me from screaming at you all, im gonna keep this as short as possible.
JKR did classics at A level and i think even at UNI
the motto means never tickle a sleeping dragon
very funny and very dumbledoreish
like the rest of them books
that has NOTHING to do with tolkien, cause im sure he would NEVER use something so humourous.
dont get me wrong, i love LoTR and tolkien is an amazing writer, but he isnt for children so he wouldnt use that, JKR is!

and also about you all thinking that dumbledore is gandalf. why dont u realise that gandalf is merlin! the first great wizard EVER. all fantasy writers use him as a template for their great and powerful ideas, and everyone takes ideas from mythology and folk tales and lots of celtic myths as well.
even if she did use some of tolkiens basic ideas, and ideas from other places too, it doesnt matter. its inspiration. everyone needs it and surely it means shes read them and likes them, so she cant be that bad eh?

There is no origional idea, everyone gets tiny ideas from an amazing amount of places, and its not cpying its just as i said before inspiration.

[img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
see youve got me all angry now.
personally i think HP are just fantastic. i agree the films r pretty ******, but thats to be expected, cause u cant follow up such a fantasitc book with so much magic that well.

you cant compare HP and LOTR just because they have one main similarity. MAGIC! magic is in every fantasy book ever, but i dont see you all slaughtering other authours for using it.

oh yeh, and i dont know who you are, but whoever said that JK should just go home. READ THE DAMN BOOKS! how can u critise and judge someones work if u havent even read it dont base your opinions on the films cause they r **** .
anyway im gonna go now, but u all better go home and do your homework before preaching about tolkien being the one god.
because even though his books r great, he wasnt amazing. he was a racist facist little old man. think about it. the orcs, evil and black, come from the same place that africa would be if you compared the two maps of our world and middle earth.
now u cant say thats a coincidence!
ha!
i have proved u all wrong! mwhahahahaha!
(with thanks to my equally angry friend, izzie!)
mwhahahahahahaha
byeeee
dont hate me just cause im right [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 11:34 AM   #50
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But we haven't judged the HP books, and we haven't said that they were bad. We were just pointing out similarities between the books. So be careful what you say, or you will find yourself judging other people, as you just did. You judged that we were judging HP.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:15 PM   #51
Aryana

Sting

I didnt make any assumptions at all. Ive read all the posts and people infact did judge HP. one person told JK to go home and that the books werent good so ha! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
look i dont wanna get into a heated debate about it, cause i dont wanna make any enemies.
im just saying that the books r fab and JK didnt steal anything. she has her own ideas, Tolkien isnt the only person in the world with an imagination. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 03:40 PM   #52
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Woah, Aryana, racist and facist? Those are some pretty heavy charges (not that they haven't been brought up before). I severely doubt that racism had anything to do with the geography of Middle-earth. Black has always been a colour associated with evil, that wasn't Tolkien's idea. And when Sauron was in Mirkwood, that was the base of evil, and it wasn't anywhere near where Africa would've been...though I can't really see how you can put the entire map of Earth and squeeze it into Middle-earth. (Not to say you can't, I haven't tried it, but still...)

I don't think that the general feeling here is so avidly anti-Harry Potter as you seem to have gathered. Personally, I like Harry Potter and plan to go see the movie tomorrow. I simply don't like it as much as the Lord of the Rings. You may like it more--I could care less. You really don't need to get so angry.

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-14-2002, 04:37 PM   #53
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

I'm really sorry we made you upset, Aryana! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] If I sad anything that was judgmental, or angering, I really apologize.
I do not, however, agree with the HP books. I'm not allowed to see the movie, or read them. (Actually, I'm old enough that I don't allow myself to read them, etc.) Actually, I think I'll send you a PM apologizing, instead of wasting thread space! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
And Gandalf is NOT Merlin!!!! Merlin was a dingbat. He died . . . interestingly. Sealed in a tomb by the woman he loved. And he KNEW she was gonna do that BEFORE he fell in love with her. (He was after all, a magician!) Gandalf would never be so stupid!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2002, 06:24 PM   #54
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Wow Aryana, haven't seen such a fantastic rant in ages [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I certainly wasn't hassling JK Rowling, I love the Potter books. I just like the idea of Rowling perhaps half-remembering what Bilbo said (Never laugh at live dragons) [I think I got it right this time [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ]

I think 20th century fantasy is often so effective because it taps in to ancient archetypes, as in 'meme' theory. For some reason, a wizard 'should' have a pointy hat and a staff! I expect you could trace many of the charcters right back to oral legends (if all the intervening sources had survived)

I do object to you referring to Tolkien as a fascist. After all his son was fighting the Nazis when he was writing Lord of the Rings.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:57 PM   #55
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

And I'm sorry if my post was unduly snippy. I'm just taking longer than I expected to adjust to a kinder, gentler board than I'm used to. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-16-2002, 12:55 AM   #56
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Having not read every reply on this post it is possible, but not proboble, that this has already been posted. In the Harry Potter related book, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them' on page 27 there is this post-script:
Quote:
...Convinced by the spotless and empty bed that such a creature had indeed killed Janus, his wife and children entered a period of strict mourning which was rudely interrupted when Janus was discoverd living five miles away with the landlady of the Green Dragon
Yes, the Green Dragon [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] , and i could not let such a crime go unspoken. Well perhaps crime is a little harsh...
Bye!
Old 11-16-2002, 05:41 PM   #57
mp

Sting

Some people think Mirror of Galadriel and The Mirror of Erised are similar. Not true at all. Here's proof:

Mirror of Galadriel: Not exactly a "mirror", but a basin of magic water. It shows, according to Galadriel: "...for the mirror shows many things. Things that were, things that are, and some things that have not yet come to pass."

Mirror of Erised: An actual mirror. It shows "the deepest, most desperate desires of our hearts."

So, no, the mirrors are different. Now, I don't want to make enemies right away by defending Harry Potter, the book that I like slightly better than LOTR, so excuse anything you may consider "against Tolkien". [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Anyway, you can't pretend Tolkien came up with stuff all on his own. He borrowed some stuff, too. The Beowulf, for instance? Lots of authors use methods that others have, but it doesn't mean it's a total ripoff. But, there's an exception to every rule...Deltora Quest, for instance? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2002, 07:40 PM   #58
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hi I'm new. Anyway, I have to see TTT. I got to see Shelob and Treebeard, not to mention Faramir. He's my favorite of the race of men. So the world isn't ending.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Also I'm sure many an author famous or unknown have been inspired by Tolkien and his works.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:45 PM   #59
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Welcome!!! Hey, I recognize that name!!! Do you hail from Xanth, Cherie? I haven't read those books in a long time! Hmm . . . I'd forgotten all about them .. . 'scuse me, I'll be back eventually.

Old 11-20-2002, 06:03 PM   #60
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Of course! I started reading those now that I've read the trilogy and the hobbit, which I am more obsessed over. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I thought since everyone would probally choose something to do with LOTHR and since my elven name was already takn I chose this. Like it? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2002, 08:39 PM   #61
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Yep, I shore do! I like your sig too!! I can't find my series though! I think they're in storage. Nuts. I'll just have to read MY HOMWORK ASSIGNMENT!!!! Grrr . . . [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2002, 05:43 PM   #62
Niltaliel

The Eye

Harry Potter and the Stolen Plot? I don't think so.
True, there are many similarities. But J. K. Rowling borrowed from many stories, myths, and legends.. as did Tolkien. The plot of Harry Potter doesn't seem the same as the plot of Lord of the Rings to me. Sorry to break it to you, but a plot is a storyline, not characters and creatures. Dementors are not a plot. Wormtail is not a plot.
If you are one of those people who insists on finding something wrong with Harry Potter, do not look for it in this way.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:41 PM   #63
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

There are some similarities, but one cannot say that Harry Potter is the stolen Plot of the Lord of the Rings. Granted, there are common ideas, but nothing was STOLEN. Yes, both have a mirror. Yes, both main characters own an item that makes them invisible. And yes, they both have an all-consuming, evil bad-guy (what kind of story won't???) But come one! If anyone says that a good versus evil plot is stolen, then they need to relate everything to the Bible! The use of magic, reluctant and young heroes, close friends and kinships are cornerstones for ANY excellent story!

As an avid fan of BOTH, I hate when people say "one is better than the other".

Wow some people really got passionate about this discussion. Just don't end up throwing stuff at each other *ducks* [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2002, 03:01 PM   #64
Kiara
Animated Skeleton

Kiara has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mintyztwin:

question: where did you pick that stuff up about Merlin? I have never heard that before and just wanted to know. I have read, on the other hand, a very flattering series about him (and it loops Atlantis and of course King Arthur into the tale). Anyone here heard of Stephen R. Lawhead? One of my top favorite authors (Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling falling in there somewhere as well).

Also, about Rowling, did you all know there was a woman who sued her for supposedly plagiarizing her ideas? It was unbelievable: some lady name Nancy something or other who had a story about Nuclear War survivors etc...really bizarre. Anyway, you could tell SHE hadn't read the books either....All I know is I'm committed to NOT being that kind of person. Might as well have an educated opinion, no?
"What if you slept, and what if in your sleep you dreamed, and what if, in your dream, you went to paradise and there plucked a beautiful flower...and what if when you awoke, you held that flower in your hand? Ah, what then?"
Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:49 PM   #65
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

*tries to resist bursting into tears after a reprimand like that*

Well Aranya I was the one that told JKR to go home. I admit that. That was bad.
Tolkien never use something humorous? HA! I find some of his writings rather funny. The hobbits bath song for example, hilarious! And does tickling dragons have to do with ANYTHING?? Another point, JRRT's writings actually have substance, theres depth there, JKR has little depth.

Gandlaf is not Merlin, he is Olorin, wisest of all Maiar.
You say all fantasy writies use mythology, Do ALL fantasy writers invent such a diverse collection of languages?
I do not thimk JRRT is the one god, I KNOW who God is and it isn't JRRT, though he was a man of God.
"A racist facist little old man"? I think not!!! An amazing mind. I know I could not think of all the things he did. Orcs actually come from the north and the east, not the south, thr men of Harad come from there.

You cannot prove me wrong! And I won't claim to be right, for I have not all the answers, but I know what I believe.

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 11-25-2002, 09:25 PM   #66
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello everyone [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Am I alone in seeing surreal similarities between this thread and the old Trilogy and Bible controversies? Then, it was "hey, Gandalf = Jesus!" ... now it's "hey, Dumbledore = Gandalf!". Plus ca change [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

In fact, it's the clear and evident differences between Harry Potter and LotR that are a source of controversy, NOT the similarities (which are pretty superficial and could equally be inferred between countless works with shared narrative elements, or between all/any major works of fantasy and various ancient mythologies from across the world).

For example, whilst on these boards I have at various times seen the works of Tolkien sincerely praised for manifesting an essentially Christian moral sensibility, I have seen the Harry Potter books attacked for 'promoting' witchcraft and moral relativism. This has been such a hot topic I won't dwell upon it, the arguments are all well-rehearsed [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

It's also clearly the case that Tolkien was consciously attempting to create a working mythos with cosmological integrity as the basis for epic narrative. This was a serious and detailed literary exercise encompassing geography, anthropology, language, history and so on in the grand academic tradition.

On the other hand, Rowling's universe is here, it is part of our world, no more than a jump of wizardly consciousness from a London train station to a whimsical and (compared to Tolkien) fairly contemporary environment. The broomsticks, cod-latin phrases and unusual confectionery are (to my mind) not at all part of some viable mythical reality - there is a far more modern (or post-modern) sensibility at work here. These elements are self-referential (I refuse to delve at length into postmodernism, just take my word for it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]), certainly ironic and in many cases designed for humorous effect.

And there is an even more obvious difference. Harry Potter was written for children (ie. within the genre of Children's Books). Written well enough to appeal to more than just children, sure, but LotR and The Silmarillion, for example, were written for ... well, who? Everyone? The English, maybe? But certainly NOT as part of a popular accepted genre, apart from perhaps 'epic narrative', where in Tolkien's day you might have found Beowulf, La Morte d'Arthur etc.

The differences, therefore, in intent and content are what count, not the similarities. For what it's worth, my streetwise 11-year old son tells me he finds Harry Potter a little childish, and LotR a bit overbearing and serious! Apparently the most popular film in his school is 'The Matrix', so what does THAT tell you?

Don't tell me - "hey, Neo = Aragorn!" [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Peace

Kalessin

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: Kalessin ]
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:49 PM   #67
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Welcome back, Kalessin - we have missed your posts on the forum! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:00 PM   #68
Lady_Artemis

Silmaril

Okay, this may be old but Aryana, I don't hate you because you are right, I hate you because you are wrong. HP is good in its own right, we all understand that, but it will never ever come nearly as close to the complexity and in depthness of Lord of the Rings. J.R.R. Tolkien also is not racist or facist. Sure he may have downplayed the role of women in his books but that is a result of the time period in which it was written.And what are you talking about with the maps looking like Europe? You're just asking for trouble there. The only reason that came to your mind is because you yourslef think that way. I have read all 4 of the HP books numerous times but because the story is so simple it can hardly compare to Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings explores the weaknesses and strengths of the human race using the Fellowship as a way of showing the different facets of man. And I hope you get mad. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Artemis ]
Old 11-26-2002, 04:46 PM   #69
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

DISCLAIMER
I have NOT read ANY of the HP books. My beef in this post is to critique Aryana's debating style, not to burn JKR at the stake.
END DISCLAIMER

Aryana appears to have been a flame-thrower who sets a blaze and then sits back to watch the fireworks. But just in case Aryana is still following the thread:

You throw around a lot of big-sounding words to make yourself look intelligent and knowledgable, but calling Tolkien a "racist facist little old man" shows that you do not have the first clue what you are talking about, and probably don't have the first idea of the definition of "facism" without the aid of a dictionary.

The people who frequent this forum are usually (not always) very well read, intelligent folks, and they come here to make points or discuss ideas and possibilities. They DON'T come here to skewer and barbecue the others and then run off laughing like a deranged bomber, as you have done. That's the childish act of the 6-year-old who thinks it's funny to set a paper bag of dog-poop on fire at someone's door, ring the doorbell, and run away.

ONE PERSON, count 'em, ONE, said 'JKR go home', and you launch into a tirade about everyone who has posted on the thread, as if someone just stating "LOTR is a superior piece of literature over HP" is guilty of a capital crime.
Quote:
u all better go home and do your homework before preaching about tolkien being the one god.
NOT ONE of us said that JRRT is the One God. It looks like there's someone else that needs to do the homework...
Quote:
even though his books r great, he wasnt amazing
Sorry Aryana, that's a matter of opinion -- and most of the world disagrees with you. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings was voted Book of the Century and Book of the Millenium, and has won more awards than the number of months you've been alive. His books continue to sell at an alarming rate, even before the movies came out.

JRRT wrote the books from the background of being a Christian man and one of the world's leading authorities on ancient languages and mythologies. JK Rowling wrote from the position of being a broke, unemployed mom who needed to make an income and studied books about modern day witchcraft to make her book more "accurate".

JRRT wrote about common folks in uncommon circumstances and exalted the quiet common life of the hobbits and the peaceful folk of Middle Earth. He wrote so little about "magic" in his books that you could leave it out in most places and still have an epic story. Having not read JKR, I can hardly speak to specifics, but it appears to me from all I've heard that magic is thrown around as somthing common (like for playing games of Quiddich). And it also seems that the ones who don't use magic are rather looked down upon, and given uncomplementary names like "muggles".

Quote:
the orcs, evil and black, come from the same place that africa would be if you compared the two maps of our world and middle earth.
now u cant say thats a coincidence!
I guess JK Rowling must be a racist, becuase the ULTIMATE bad guy is called "the DARK LORD". You can't say that's a coincidence!!! George Lucas must be a racist too, because, well, look at DARTH VADER! The BAD GUY all dressed up in BLACK!! ROFL!!!

Aryana, you have some serious issues to work through, and you have my sympathy. You know, it's OK not to like LOTR and to love HP. It's OK to love LOTR and hate HP. It'a all a matter of opinion.

One final note. If you want to be taken seriously on this forum, you really should buy a dictionary and learn to use it. Your posts have the same grasp of spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar as the average parakeet.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:51 PM   #70
Lady_Artemis

Silmaril

Go Thenamir! I totally agree!! Yay!!!!!! You should never apologize for something you didn't do. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 05:39 PM   #71
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to say I've not read all the first page but seeing the second, everyone is trying to argue different points from the same 'side' if I can use that word, except Thenamir, that was a truly original post.

I beleive this has been debated aplenty and if you actually compare PLOTS of the two books, you find little in common except the dark lord rising again, even then at different points in the story.

When she going to write the next darn book? Is all I really have to say about Harry Potter. I just really badly contradicted myself didn't I? I would now like to let everyone know that I am a fool and so shall shut-up. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 05:59 PM   #72
Mintyztwin
Wight

Sting

Kiara I got that info on Merlin from a book on King Arthur. It's my book, but my best friend has it, so I can't tell you what it was. It was, however, well researched. They did a lot of weird stuff in the Middle Ages!

Okay, sorry for the interuption! Carry on, folks! *backs out of the fray*

Old 11-26-2002, 09:09 PM   #73
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Well, Dragoneyes I heard from my friend sarah who is a HP nut (shes almost as bad as I am with LotR) that all the HP books are finished but theyre locked in a vault somewhere by the publishers who are just using them as chairs.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 08:07 PM   #74
RiderOfRohan
Animated Skeleton

RiderOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As an aviadr i lieve that there is a fine line between bing inpired by another author and copying off of that author. I believe that Rowling has an original pot but you just can't stop wondering about the similarities.

I am NOT saying that her works are any where near as powerful and creative (and many other things) as Tolkien's works. I'e said my bit and now I'll leave this open to debate.

I feel so uninspired. Mind Altering drugs, that's what Ineed!
RiderOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 08:57 PM   #75
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
WOo HOO! GO THENAMIR!!! Thena, Aryana probably doesn't know what hit her!
*sigh*

I wish i had the courage to do what Thenamir does.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:48 PM   #76
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Ok here is my personal opinion about JK Rowling.

Well I have noticed many simalarities but maybe she was inspiered by Tolkien. I mean many people are well, like me! Anyways, I don't think that the plots are stollen just maybe some tidbits of Lord of the Rings.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 10:40 AM   #77
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

LOL, I've been away from this thread for a few weeks, and wow! Arayna, what a childish rant! By the way, facists and racests aren't the same. While it is true that some racests have been facists, some democrates have been racests, and many more facists have been feminists. (humph) Any way, sticks and stones...

Did JKR even read LotRs?
Old 11-29-2002, 12:24 PM   #78
Dimhuanion
Pile O'Bones

Dimhuanion has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Tolkiens genius provided the world and all the authors in it with the basis of all mythological type books etc. Without Tolien the world would be without Elves, Goblins, Orcs wizardsetc and wat would be the fun in that. I think we should all be very gratefull.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:05 PM   #79
rainbownelle

Sting

Yes I agree totally
because...
Frodo = Harry
Sam = Ron
Sauron = Voldemort
Gandalf = Dumbledore
Quirrel = Snape
Bree = Hogsmeade
But I think perhaps thats just because there's a goodie, a baddie, the goodie's best friend etc..in every good book!
But I know, there are a lot of similarities
[img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2002, 08:26 AM   #80
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

“Quirrel = Snape” –I don’t get that one.

We aren’t the only ones upset over this horrendous act of plagiarism!

At this very moment, those who adhere to the dictums of Lucasology are tuning up the plasma interfaces of their light sabres:

Luke Skywalker = Harry
R2D2/CP30 = Ron
Darth Vader = Voldemort
Obi Wan Kanobi = Dumbledore
Mos Isly = Hogsmeade

Of course, medieval literary scholars (who, incidentally, still argue that the spur and not the longbow was the most important pre-gunpowder innovation) are putting aside their reasoned responses to arguments that King Arthur was the anti-Christ to take up the chivalrous fight:

Author = Harry
Lancelot = Ron
Morgan le Fay = Voldemort
Merlin = Dumbledore
Camelot = Hogsmeade

I also heard that Shannara fans are just a hair upset, and have been busy repositioning their trebuchets (from the book critics) to take some shots at that vile English woman:

Shea/Wil/Brin Ohmsford = Harry
Skull Bearers = Dementors
The Warlock Lord = Voldemort
Allanon = Dumbledore
Shady Vale = Hogsmeade

Shakespearean thespians the world over have their buskins all askew:

Hamlet = Harry
Haratio = Ron
Claudius = Voldemort
Ophelia = Hermione
Denmark = Hogsmeade

But small are these in comparison is the wrath of the Trekers, who from convention to convention (where they still find time to scoff at the notion of magic and discuss the unlimited potential of warp technology) are putting aside the pointed ear thing with Peter Jackson to level their phasers against Harry Potter and his broomstick:

James T. Kirk = Harry
Bones = Ron
Khan = Voldemort
Spock = Dumbledore
The Enterprise = Hogwarts