The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2003, 04:14 PM   #121
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Falagar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello, just became a member.
Will (perhaps) not hang around for a very long time, I'll have to see...
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:21 PM   #122
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

For all you new folk who like to do roleplay based on Tolkien, you might want to drop down to the Green Dragon Inn where you can introduce yourself in character. You might also want to check the discussion thread of the Hobbit's Gift which is still looking for hobbits and big folk who are bandits.

Cami, Asst. Innkeeper, Green Dragon Inn
Old 01-08-2003, 09:24 PM   #123
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just wanted to say Hi to all the new people, I have only been posting here for a month (yes, I certainly have been posting a lot) this is a lovely forum, the topics are very good, and the moderators do a wonderful job managing the site [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img].

Oh and dragoneyes I too got into the books because of the films, I am glad there is other people out there like me.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:04 PM   #124
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hey! I'm new too. This is a cool site. I'll be seeing you guys around.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:37 PM   #125
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Nice of you to finally join us lord of dor-lomin.

I know who you are!! (evil laugh)

I'll see you in class next week.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:44 PM   #126
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

How did I know that you'd be the first to welcome me? (I should've made up a new user name so you wouldn't recognize me)

Yes, I finally decided to join. I've always been insanely jealous hearing you talk about how much fun you have on the barrowdowns. Now I'm going to join in!
Old 01-09-2003, 12:42 AM   #127
luinmellonwen

Sting

hello, my name is jamie, i'm 18 years old. i've been around here for a while, just reading posts and stuff, but i just desided to join today.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:11 PM   #128
nuguernachil
Pile O'Bones

nuguernachil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i wanna welcome everyone who's newer than i am. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] *feels superior because she has become bony*
Old 01-09-2003, 03:20 PM   #129
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

congratulations on aquiring bones nuguernachil

Welcome to everyone else (yet again) oh and do come and roleplay, it's an awful lot of fun. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 03:46 PM   #130
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi Nonesuch, The Saucepan Man, lanrete, Rosemary Took, Miss Pippin (check faq and then try the search functions, there are sevral threads about this question), MonKeyBuTTinc, Nightmare, Deathless One, Amrun'quessir, Peregrin Brandybuck, Maeghķsiėwen, Falagar(Please Stay! It is fun! Just try it out for a little while, O.K?), lord of dor-lomin, and luinmellonwen. Welcome to the downs, post well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 05:35 PM   #131
Saenla

Ring

Hewo... I just felt compeled to write in here ^.^ .... Yes, I am new. I have gone to this site on and off for about the last year, and just now desided to join the fourms ^.^....
Old 01-09-2003, 08:55 PM   #132
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hail and well met!!! My daughter and I have discovered a great castle in an enchanted land,so many rooms,chambers and halls to explore.! We have been "lurking" about this site for a couple of days trying to get a feel for the discussions and what protocols are being observed. We are the last of the computer//internet holdouts. I would like to take a moment to thank the administrators and moderators who support this sight.No small task and"very near the mark if I may be so bold". Be assured your efforts are appreciated. I have been "foaming arround" the books since I discovered{back in 73}a copy of THE HOBBIT adrift. "Much of what has been learned is now forgotten" as your quizzes have pointed out. I am looking forward to another reading keeping in mind some of the views and opinions expressed in these many forums.I have never had the opportunity to join in any in depth discussions before I bought my children this computer.....ok kids your turn next just another minute. Alquadae is my small sloop {sailboat} which I am refitting this winter. bulkheads, paint rigging etc If my plans go well, she will be a vessel with a Quendi twist that will turn the heads of even the most critical Teleri. I wish all fair winds and following seas Alquadae
Old 01-09-2003, 11:55 PM   #133
Strider

Sting

Hello, I am Strider, and I am new to the board. I'm hoping to stay for awhile, and I am a new fan to The Lord of the Rings.

Are you still looking for Hobbits in the roleplaying games?
Old 01-10-2003, 06:57 AM   #134
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

We role play just about any Middle Earth type here at the Downs, Strider--we've got games for whargs and crebains running right now--but hobbits are always welcome!

Our roleplaying forums are The Shire, Rohan and Gondor--levels set up by complexity of games, not by Middle Earth race or geography. Check any of them out. If you want to try out a character, drop into one of our gaming Inns, The White Horse in Rohan or the Green Dragon in The Shire.

Bethberry,
Innkeeper of The White Horse
Old 01-10-2003, 07:30 AM   #135
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Falagar(Please Stay! It is fun! Just try it out for a little while, O.K?)
If you say so [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I go to other forums aswell (hard to keep track of them all), but I'll try to stay here [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Falagar ]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:49 PM   #136
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hi Saenla, alquadae, Strider. Welcome to the downs! Post well.

Falagar! Yay! Stay! What other forums do you go to? I sometimes visit other ones, I am some sort of version of Arwen Imladris on all of them I think. See ya around! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 04:49 PM   #137
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Many forums..."The Entmoot", "SF-Fandom", "Ringzone" and some Norwegian boards. And these are only the Tolkien-related ones!

Thanks for the welcome [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Falagar ]
Old 01-10-2003, 06:00 PM   #138
Malamute
Pile O'Bones

Malamute has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey howdy fellow BD members!

I am the new dog on the block and just wanted to say hi all.

I have been reading LotR since the seventies and have been a complete addict ever since those first glimpses into ME.

Hopefully i will get to know many of you better and have fun sharing info and insight into these forums. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #139
Strider

Pipe

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
Old 01-10-2003, 10:06 PM   #140
Sasha

Eye

Hello everyone im new here too! I got introduced by a member of tis site. And i haf 2 say tis is one of the best lotr sites ever.. I haf been reading lotr since i was a kid (my dad used to read it to me during bedtime) but i didnt realise there were so many sites dedicated to it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I definitely will be here for a long time & i look forward to meeting all u fellow men & elves.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 04:53 AM   #141
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not new any more but I never posted here! HI!
Old 01-11-2003, 09:54 AM   #142
Corvwyn

Sting

Mae govannen!

I stumbled upon this board and instantly wondered why I had not seen it before. I've read LOTR 5 times, The Hobbit and Silmarillion 2 times and also Lost tales and some of the History of Middle-Earth books. I first read LOTR when I was 14 years old and began reading a lot after that. This also introduced me to p&p roleplaying games. I greatly enjoyed the LOTR movies by the way, Peter Jackson really does it well.

I look forward to discussing with people on this board.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Corvwyn ]
Old 01-11-2003, 01:20 PM   #143
NeptunesDaughter

Sting

Hello

Well in a complete contrast to the message above i'm rather new to the world of LOTR. Having been dragged to the cinema on the first day of Fellowship's release I now find I can't wait for my multiple viewings of TTT.

I am however reading the books (almost finished FOTR for those so interested)and so soon hope to be a little more knowledgable in the world of middle earth.

As for me im 22 from Ireland and really like the look of this place :-)

I always feel rather intimidated starting out on boards [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

All the best
Elaine

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: NeptunesDaughter ]
Old 01-11-2003, 07:23 PM   #144
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi,

I came to LOTR in a rather back door way, through the Middle Earth Role Playing games in the early 80's. I began reading the LOTR, Silmarilion and later Unfinished and Lost Tales more to familiarize myself in the universe I was playing in rather then anything else, and like you all got pulled right in.

Anyway, mariage and kids came and then of course the films and I find myself being dragged (very willingly) in all over again with the added bonus of watching it through my sons' eyes. My eldest is just reading The Hobbit and I'm reading it to my youngest at bed time.

I just discovered this site and hope to spend much time here, though I'm not exactly sure what I can contribute.

H.C.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 01-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #145
Imsirion

Sting

Hi, I've been reading throught these boards awhile and I decided to join. About 4 months before the the first movie came out, a friend on another message board told me about it so before it came out, I read tLotR's (twice),The Hobbit, and the Silmarillain (gah! sp?) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Well, now I'm a fan of Tolkien's works and I look forward to enjoying this board!
Old 01-12-2003, 06:56 AM   #146
Thor
Pile O'Bones

Thor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi all,

I'm a new arrival to the forum. I've been reading through a whole heap for a while now and decided to join tonight.

I admit to being a rabid fan of the books and have lost count of the number of times I have read LotR! (Probabably once a year since 1987...)

I look forward to some very in-depth quibbling sessions at some future stage [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Thor ]
Old 01-12-2003, 11:01 AM   #147
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone!
Old 01-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #148
Fincarnwen

Sting

Ai na vedui, everyone! I am a longtime fan of Tolkein, and arrived here via the Middle Earth Name Generator! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 04:04 PM   #149
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hi Malamute, Nevmetwen, ElentariGreenleaf, Corvwyn, NeptunesDaughter, HCIsland, Imsirion, Thor, maiden of the Shire, and Fincarnwen! Welcome to the downs! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 04:20 PM   #150
Menelhachwen
Pile O'Bones

Menelhachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello everybody out there!

Although I registered a few weeks ago I haven't written anything yet! Hope I'll visit more often this fantastic site, I really like it very much! Guess where I "translate" my nick? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I've read LOTR about three times in my mother tonge, Spanish, and now I'm finishing it in English!
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] At first I thought I couldn't make it but here I am, finishing it again and eager to begin The Silmarilion in English! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Menelhachwen ]
Old 01-12-2003, 08:42 PM   #151
Isilmėiel
Animated Skeleton

Isilmėiel has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hi, I've been lurking about for a couple of days, but it's only been right now that I've actually registered. I've read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I'm reading the Silmarillion right now, and a book of short stories (Farmer Giles of Ham, etc.) I've read commentaries on the books, and seen both of the movies. I don't know elvish yet, but I want to learn eventually. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 11:53 PM   #152
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dūm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hallo [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 11:57 PM   #153
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi all I've been to the chat room a couple of times a I love the site hope to have many interesting discussions. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:28 AM   #154
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Quote:
What Elvish thingy? Always try the search function or/and check out the faq. People might have gotten mad if it is a question that has been asked too many times before. Have fun.
Well at least SOMEONE talks to me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Thnx anyway... I think I get it now [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Finnguala
Old 01-13-2003, 10:06 PM   #155
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hi Menelhachwen, Isilmėiel, Silmarien, and dim_charm. Welcome to the downs, post well.

Finnguala: welcome and well met indeed! Sorry I was not able to be of much help. Have a good time here at the downs!

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 12:58 PM   #156
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No problem [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And thnx again [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 06:41 PM   #157
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Dain Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm new here. As you can tell from my name, I like dwarves.
Dain Ironfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:51 PM   #158
Aeryn Evenstar
Pile O'Bones

Aeryn Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone! I'm Aeryn and I'm new here. My little brother got me into LOTR about a year before the first movie. I'm currently finishing up ROTK. I've been lurking here for awhile now. I finally broke down and posted! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:53 AM   #159
SuGaR N sPiCe

Silmaril

Hey all,

As U probably figured out i'm new here...and so far luving it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] i've been here b4 but not in the forum...well gotta check out the otha posts...lattaz
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 07:53 AM   #160
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome! I hope everyone enjoys being dead! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

(And one piece of advice: If you don't want to get yelled at, don't use chat abbreviations! Not many people here like reading them [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])