The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2002, 06:55 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril I met a fellow BDer!!

I’m starting this thread to give everyone who has met someone from the Barrow-Downs a place to tell us all about it. You think that’s nice of me, to be so interested in your experiences? Naw, I just want to brag to you all about mine!!

I met Lush yesterday!! She’s in Germany at the time, so I went to Cologne (Köln) to get together with her. It was raining, so we went somewhere to sit and have something to drink (no, not what you think – we had hot tea!) while we talked. We spent over three hours, getting to know each other’s real life person, talking about the site, the book, the movie, soccer, the difference between life in the US and Europe… And of course we enjoyed a bit of good-natured gossip about the people we know on the Downs!! It was my privilege to get to know a young woman who is interesting, intelligent and serious as well as being very humorous – not that I was surprised! We had not one dull moment and I would be very happy to see her again. At any rate, it will be even more fun to read her posts now that I’ve actually seen and heard the person behind them.

(By the way, for all you hobbits - the restaurant we sat and had lunch in had two pages of its menu devoted to mushroom dishes - and what we tried tasted very good!)

Now it’s your turn…
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 08-06-2005 at 10:20 PM. Reason: corrected old smilie codes
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 07:43 AM   #2
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

That's awesome, Estelyn! I wish I could meet someone here, but I doubt that will ever happen. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:19 AM   #3
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I may be meeting up with Vinyaampawen while she's in Copenhagen for a couple of weeks. I'll let you know. And of course, I'll try to get some pics... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 11:20 AM   #4
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I want to meet Naz, so we can secrely plan to delete BarrowWight's-- opps, wasn't supposed to say that *Whistles with head up and arms behind back*

^^ Another example of disrupting a thread with little purpose ^^
*** THIS NEEDS TO STOP ***

No offense Mr. B, I was just sayin I want to meet Naz. Sorry.
[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Gimli Son Of Gloin ]

[ July 10, 2003: Message edited by: Gimli Son Of Gloin ]
Old 07-18-2002, 11:35 AM   #5
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maika - I´m going to Malmö on Saturday (staying till early Monday)! Don´t you think we could meet up somewhere?! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 01:23 PM   #6
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eärendil, the problem is, that I don't live in Copenhagen but in the opposite end of the country. Could've been fun, though.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 01:57 PM   #7
Sindacuion
Animated Skeleton

Sindacuion has just left Hobbiton.
I envy you, Estelyn! Well, I might be seeing someone from the 'Downs while I'm in England.. In two years. Well, there is plenty of time before that. Anyone coming to Finland? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 04:23 PM   #8
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Estylen, lucky you!! I wish I could meet someone from the Downs!! That'd be cool. And I hope I wasn't in that gossip coversation between you two [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Well, if anyone comes to New York let me know!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 04:27 PM   #9
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Estelyn: I envy whoever had the remarkable chance to meet a fellow BDer! It would certainly be fascinating to see one whom you've communicated to only through the Net. It's just one special thing about the barrow-Downs; where Tolkien gathers us all! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 04:58 PM   #10
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Maika - Ah...I thought you lived in Copenhagen. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Oh well, some other time perhaps? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:02 PM   #11
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, If anyone is going to be at a Civil War re-enactment in Coshocton, Ohio, USA tomorrow, you can meet...Meeeeeeeeee!

Yeah. Didn't think so.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 07:24 PM   #12
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Those Civil War re-enactments sound fun, are they? What's the best, the actual battle, the getting you outfit together before the battle, or camping out that nite with the other mountain men, ladies and kids? Or is it not like that at all?? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 07-19-2002, 04:51 AM   #13
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Liriodendron -It's my first one, so I have no idea what it will be like. I've heard that the people who participate in these things are extremely dedicated and authentic. Everything just like the 1860s - except for the smell, I hope!

Hmmmmm... Helm's Deep re-enactments, anyone?

BTW - Isn't Burrahobbit's B-D party this weekend?

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 05:28 AM   #14
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

When I was in London on class trip some months ago, I was hoping to meet Miriel, but we had no time for running away, meeting people from the net (can you understand how that felt?) so I didn't meet her.

Maybe I could convince dad about taking a vacation trip to Finland.. that doesn't cost so much.. All I had to was order a BD-tshirt (or something else lotr-related) make dad get us to finland and (wherever sind is living) mail sindacuion and tell him we're here, ask him about some good café or another and get there.. *sighs deeply*
ok, I'm fantasying, so what?!?
Old 07-19-2002, 03:59 PM   #15
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Lothloriel: haven't we been over this? I live in New York. In Westchester County to be precise. When I/we can drive, maybe we could meet at some point...
Old 07-19-2002, 04:43 PM   #16
Sindacuion
Animated Skeleton

Sindacuion has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Ooh, good plan, Gayahithwen! If you get things wrapped up, I'd be more than happy to meet you! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2002, 05:42 PM   #17
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Vanima that's right!!!! Stupid me, I forgot! Ooh, I don't know, where would you think would be good? Well, I'm leaving tomorrow and I'll be gone for a week, so when I get back maybe we can do something!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 08:35 PM   #18
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I learned something today: I am friends with a fellow BDer and i didn't even know it. I was talking to her brother and i told him to join the forum cuz it's really fun, and he told me that his sister's on the forum!!! She's Arwen Imladris! and her brother is Sarin Elfarmour! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] happy happy joy joy!

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 08:43 AM   #19
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ooooh, Galadriel!! And you didn't even know!!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I am so jealous!! I wish it was me!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 10:16 AM   #20
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bethberry:

Thank you for your kind testimonial commemorating our merry meeting, and please allow me to echo all your sentiments, my good friend! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] * low bow *

Indeed I look forward to future visits between us.

Gandalf
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:20 PM   #21
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

OOH! OOH!!! *Jumps up and down and waves hands* I haven't yet, but I will tomorrow night!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
"Begging your pardon," said Sam, "I don't think you understand my master at all, "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:35 PM   #22
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Nobody lives close enuff. The only person I know from the Downs is Brinniel, and that's because we go to the same school.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:49 PM   #23
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Don't give up, Ithaeliel. Raefindel lives in Washington State and I'm in Ca., but, it's gonna happen! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
"Let's see now! Boromir isn't lying, that's not his way; but he hasn't told us everything. "
<center>

</center>

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 07-20-2002, 08:17 PM   #24
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I go to school with Losthuniel and Naurlothwen, so I've met them, ya, a bunch. I wish I could meet other people too though! But my parents have a complex that everyone on the web is a creepy kidnapper or some such thing, so FAT CHANCE [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2002, 08:43 PM   #25
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, this is sad, i know no one from the Downs. Is anyone from the Downs live in southern Ontario? Just curious.
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 09:09 PM   #26
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Welcome, tangerine! I see you've been here for a bit, but I haven't said hullo yet, so:
<center>
<font color=blue>Hullo!
Quote:
Frodo crouching over his knees heard Sam muttering and groaning: "What a place! What a horrible place! Just let me out of this boat, and I'll never wet my toes in a puddle again, let alone a river! "
Old 07-20-2002, 10:30 PM   #27
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Quote:
The only person I know from the Downs is Brinniel, and that's because we go to the same school.
We're also buddies, remember? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

If I ever go to any of the places any of you live in, I'll make sure I'll visit you. My goal is to meet one of you before I graduate (which is far off)!
Old 07-21-2002, 09:22 AM   #28
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

tangerine:
I live in Toronto, which is sorta Southern ont, I think. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
So do Losthuniel and Naurlothwen.
Where in Southern Ont do you live???
Old 07-21-2002, 10:00 AM   #29
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I know eleniwilvarin, we are ex classmates and go to the same school.
Anyway, anyone that lives in the more south of Sweden? *curious* [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 09:42 AM   #30
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I met Samwise this week. My family was traveling through Petaluma on our way to Disneyland so we arranged to meet.

She met me with roses from the garden at her church, which she tends.

She has a pleasant voice and a easy manner. My husband and kids were there too, until we finished dinner, then he took them to the hotel to swim. Samwise is very good with children. My kids took to her right away.

We talked about what had been going on here at the Downs since I'd left Washington. And we found we have many other similar interests.

It was too dark to see the garden she tends at her church or at her home so we sat in her driveway for another 20 minuted and talked some more.

AND NEITHER ONE OF REMEMBERED OUR CAMERA! We'll just have to do it again, Samwise!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:28 AM   #31
Rosa_Baggins
Wight

Rosa_Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's kinda hard for me to meet people because I live in a boring place where no one lives and no one vists.
Stupid City.I hate it.I wish I lived in London or birmingham or something.
Oh well.I guess that life!
love
Rosa
Old 07-23-2002, 11:39 AM   #32
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well lets see I know Waen really well. Ever since LOTR came out thats almost all we talk about!!!!! (well not really) We went and saw the movie together like 5 times!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Anyway she is cool and I'm glad we both decided to join the downs!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:53 AM   #33
Waenfalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Waenfalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arwen Is really cool.All Though sometimes i think she's a little too in to lotr. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] not that there's any thing wrong with that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 12:05 PM   #34
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

lol Waen!!!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 12:51 PM   #35
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have Rosseiliantiel's problem that I can't tell everyone were I live cause one of you is supposed to be ready to come kidnap me. But in four years when I'm 18 I'll tell you all where I live and then I can meet someone.

Oh I know! I'm going to Orlando Flordia in August! Anyone want to "accedently" meet me there?
Old 07-23-2002, 01:58 PM   #36
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I would have said this but Galadrie1 beat me to it, I found out that I knew her just a couple of days ago. And of corce I know my brother (Sarin Elfarmour) as well, but that is all!
Old 07-23-2002, 02:14 PM   #37
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I want to meet Lush. I'm going to try to get into a camp at Duke next year and try to meet her there. Hehehe, you're so lucky, Estelyn! I don't know any other B-Ders except my sister, but she doesn't count.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:34 AM   #38
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420!

Well, I'm back in the States, and can finally get on-line without my German lover looking over my shoulder every two minutes, and asking me questions like, "why aren't you on an Oliver Kahn site downloading nude pictures of him?"
I'm glad Esty started this thread, and I can safely testify that we had a great time. And as I recall, we didn't gossip about Lothiriel. And it is true, I didn't drink a drop of anything remotely alcoholic while lunching with Esty. The same can't be said for what I did that night, or the following night, or the night after that...You get the idea. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
dragongirlG, I'm not that exciting of a person, I only become interesting when handsome men walk into the room, but I'm glad you want to meet me.
Here's a big thanks to Esty for coming all that way to see me, and a big thanks to the Barrow-Downs for bringing us together in such a lively community. Finally, long live the Bundesrepublik Deutschland for its excellent beer, architecture, men, and other attractions.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:42 AM   #39
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Welcome back Lush [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
The site has not been the same since you left.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:12 AM   #40
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yay, Lush! You're back!

Even though you say you're not that interesting of a person, I still want to meet you. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Besides, who says handsome men don't attend Duke University? Hmm? I know handsome men who go to MIT...

I agree with Alkanoonion. The site has not been the same since you left. Oh yeah, a lot of things have happened here too. But I'm sure you'll find that out on your own.

Welcome back!
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote