The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2022, 11:00 AM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Commemorative Tolkien coin

I don’t know if there is a huge crossover between Tolkien lovers and numismatists but The Royal Mint will launch a £2 coin to mark the 50th anniversary of Tolkien’s death in 2023. It has the JRRT monogram a ring design inspired by Runes and Not all those who wander are lost around the edge. Full details are on the Royal Mint website - I don’t seem able to link to the correct page.

I have registered to be notified when it is available as a single coin rather than as a set with all other 2023 releases. The £2 coin is the highest value coin in normal circulation but I would like a “mint” one. I will update when I can.

I am sure this was planned long before Her Majesty’s death but it does seem appropriate that the man who wrote ‘The return of the King” will be honoured o one of the first British coins to carry the likeness of Charles III

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:30 AM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Found it here, Mith --

https://www.royalmint.com/annual-set...of-jrr-tolkien

Seems very cool, if only King Charles mug wasn't on the obverse.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:47 AM   #3
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, that's just lovely! I definitely want to order a single one when they come through; not willing to pay £50 for the set, I'm afraid.

Or, for a mere £7500, you could get the gold version in a set with everything else also in gold, because that's not ridiculous at ALL...

hS