The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #201
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

We can take a stab at it.

Got any suggested times?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #202
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Tell him I think that game will turn out to be disappointing. He knows I'm rarely wrong about these things.
Liar.

And I may return to LOTRO. I'm wavering in my desire to play The Old Republic, as I don't have a ton of time and paying a monthly fee for a few hours a month is a little weird. So we'll see. I don't want to download anything again, though, and I don't want to pay for an expansion I probably won't like.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #203
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I will likely be on tonight, if anyone's going to be around.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #204
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainofDespair View Post
I'm wavering in my desire to play The Old Republic, as I don't have a ton of time and paying a monthly fee for a few hours a month is a little weird.
I'm willing to bet anything that overall SWTOR is going to turn out to be LOTRO II. Its one of the huge reasons why I've never been that interested in that game.

They've got the same class imbalances and everything built in already.

I'll let you know if Isengard is any good.

They are saying they will be rolling it out a day early...so that would be tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #205
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Shades of Tyrn Gorthad is now recruiting Barrow-downers for fun, casual gaming on the Silverlode server.

I, Reprimand, am the owner, and Frarr and Crabannan are seneschals. If you see one of us online, let us know and we'll add you.

Last edited by Oddwen; 09-25-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #206
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
It's a fact.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #207
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
They've got the same class imbalances and everything built in already.
Every multiplayer game, and most singleplayer games, that have classes have class imbalances. It's the nature of class design, skill design, and how players use those classes and skills.

In any case, I am reinstalling LOTRO. Today is a sick day, so re-downloading everything doesn't bother me so much. We'll see if I actually play, or if the icons sit unused on the desktop like so many other games.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #208
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, seems they just revamped stuff with the release of Isengard. That should have been expected, I guess. Well, nothing that drastic - at least it seems on first sight.

And great to have the kinship up and running. I think I could join with both of my characters, so that we fill the quota...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #209
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Every multiplayer game, and most singleplayer games, that have classes have class imbalances. It's the nature of class design, skill design, and how players use those classes and skills.
Which is why classes in MMOs are obsolete!

Quote:
In any case, I am reinstalling LOTRO. Today is a sick day, so re-downloading everything doesn't bother me so much.
Wow...you didn't pick a good day for that. It was like first release in how hard it was to find the servers up yesterday.

However, so far I like the new expansion. The mob spawn time has been set very high so that doing the kill quests, even in spite of the very high number of players in the area, was really easy.

The only thing that bugs me slightly (so far) is the area feels very small.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #210
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

All right, I've added Legate's characters Gimifril and Curufinwen to the kinship, which puts us at the minimum eight members.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #211
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Wow...you didn't pick a good day for that. It was like first release in how hard it was to find the servers up yesterday.

The only thing that bugs me slightly (so far) is the area feels very small.
I don't pick my sick days, they pick me. And besides, I had to do a completely new install, so it took awhile.

And you are certainly preoccupied with the size of things, Kuru. Must be a dwarven thing.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #212
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
And you are certainly preoccupied with the size of things, Kuru. Must be a dwarven thing.
Darn tootin'!

I have now officially joined Shades of Tyrn Gorthad!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #213
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
I have now officially joined Shades of Tyrn Gorthad! Today 03:01 PM
Woohoo! We are nine strong now.

Today I made it to Rivendell, whereupon I immediately slapped Legolas and Frodo around for quite a while. I highly recommend it.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #214
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well some of the changes are (even more) discouraging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isengard Release Notes
Minstrel healing, while in War-speech, will be self only.

And all my outfits are ruined because Minstrels can't wear medium-armor anymore period... Hmm single-track much...

Last edited by Durelin; 09-28-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #215
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Should've read up on the changes, logged into my lvl 14 minstrel and the entire playing style has changed...yikes!

Now as to the kinhouse, do we have any preferences as to the location? Near Manfield, Elftown, Dwarfville, or Hobbitchestingtonfieldville-on-Shire?

Quote:
And all my outfits are ruined because Minstrels can't wear medium-armor anymore period...
What? Noooo! My tailor had a full outfit planned for her!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #216
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
And all my outfits are ruined because Minstrels can't wear medium-armor anymore period... Hmm single-track much...
Now I think THAT is rather horrible. I mean, surely people must complain. Lots of people must have spent a long time getting their "perfect outfit" and suddenly this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Now as to the kinhouse, do we have any preferences as to the location? Near Manfield, Elftown, Dwarfville, or Hobbitchestingtonfieldville-on-Shire?
I already have one Elven house, so I would be up for a change if people want it. Dwarven housing is quite nice and attractive to me, but well, they are underground (and also for personal reasons, my two characters are so much "Ered-Luin-ish" that I wouldn't mind having the kinship house somewhere else, just for the sake of traveling convenience). I haven't seen the Man and Hobbit houses yet, actually. Might do that in my spare time to get some idea.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #217
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Minstrels can't EVER wear medium armor? That seems like an unnecessary limitation. I was able to work around the newly excised ballads and anthems - my new attack order works just fine - but I was really looking forward to wearing something besides stupid hats and purple shoes at some point in the future.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #218
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I think either a Bree or Shire homestead makes the most sense. Ered Luin is waaay out there.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #219
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Obviously, as a dwarf, Ered Luin seems good, but a Shire or Bree homestead sounds good. I think that Breeland would probably be the best thematically, since it contains the Barrow-Downs. On the other hand, I haven't seen any of those two yet, and I suspect that the Shire homesteads will be nicer.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #220
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Also, is anyone currently online? I'd quite like to join the kinship some time soon.

edit: Ok, Legate's added me to the kinship.

Last edited by Eönwë; 09-28-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #221
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Obviously, as a dwarf, Ered Luin seems good, but a Shire or Bree homestead sounds good. I think that Breeland would probably be the best thematically, since it contains the Barrow-Downs. On the other hand, I haven't seen any of those two yet, and I suspect that the Shire homesteads will be nicer.
I think you can earn a return-skill to your home location anyway (even though it takes time). That's what I am planning to do, anyway. And you can buy your own personal house in Ered Luin, if you wish that (that's actually a lot easier than earning the return-skill to Thorin's Gate). That's basically what I did and that's why I wouldn't mind the kin-house being somewhere else. Let's be "cosmopolitan".

Quote:
Also, is anyone currently online? I'd quite like to join the kinship some time soon.
I might be now for a short while still, if it's in my power to add you.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #222
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I think you can earn a return-skill to your home location anyway (even though it takes time). That's what I am planning to do, anyway. And you can buy your own personal house in Ered Luin, if you wish that (that's actually a lot easier than earning the return-skill to Thorin's Gate). That's basically what I did and that's why I wouldn't mind the kin-house being somewhere else. Let's be "cosmopolitan".
Yeah exactly. I think having a house in Ered Luin would go well with my character, and then the kinship one should be somewhere else (and I like the idea of Shire or Breeland).
Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #223
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Housing? (Gramsfoot.)

Okay, so we just spent some time with Eönwë reviewing houses and actually we both agreed that we'd prefer the Shire housing most of all. To sum it up: it is nice, round, has funny corridors heading down, the surroundings are pretty, the setting is really beautiful (and to me it looks rather Hobbitton-y, with the lights twinkling over the water if you enter the neigbourhood at night). I think there is a really nice kinship house situated always near the entrance, near the huge waterfall (forgot to check the address, might do that later sometime if need be).

Otherwise, for the rest of the neighbourhoods, like I said: with Elven/Dwarven characters and housing more or less already there, and with Bree/Shire being a lot more "cosmopolitan areas", these would be preferrable - and out of them, Shire definitely leads. Human housing is... well... I called it "too square-shaped", not that visually appealing in general, sort of having a bleak look, reminiscent of vacant saloons from old Westerns (even if it was, of course, going to be decorated). At least in comparison to the Shire, it really pales. Eönwë had said the same, so at least when it comes to our suggestions, here you go...
Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #224
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I could go for the Shire. I think the aesthetics should probably be our foremost consideration, and it sounds like the Shire gets very high remarks in that regard.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #225
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

I have a personal house in Bree, it's functional but not fun. (I need more thin furniture spaces to store my songbirds, heh.) The Shire sounds spiffy.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #226
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

I have tons and tons of decorative items sitting in my vaults that can be used for the kin house, just let me know when we get it.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #227
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I have tons and tons of decorative items sitting in my vaults that can be used for the kin house, just let me know when we get it.
Just let us others also have a chance to contribute to the decorations, okay?

I think it would be really great to just decorate our house with purely things of our own craft (or special "gifts" we've acquired, such as the Sinister Keg or whatnot). I think I've been crafting chandeliers all my life (thinking of that, my main character seems to be obsessed with light, then again, what would you expect from an Elven jewel-smith) and I have some stuff that I didn't manage to stuff into my otherwise rather small personal house.

By the way, there is one more thing which we found hilarious in the Shire, and that is, what you can see if you go into the fields at night...
Old 10-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #228
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots As promised

As I promised...a few weeks ago I admit...

Here is a picture of a beardless Kuru caused by a graphical glitch.

Eonwe, Gwath and myself had a fine old time chatting in kin today and Eonwe visited my house and somebody else's and he discovered one of the games more quirky little features.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #229
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Eonwe, Gwath and myself had a fine old time chatting in kin today and Eonwe visited my house and somebody else's and he discovered one of the games more quirky little features.
What, you mean something like The Keg?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #230
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
What, you mean something like The Keg?
That is exactly what he means.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #231
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Also, it's festival season.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #232
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

What is this..."festival season"?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #233
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Is it? I was wondering why nothing was taking place this year yet, with the 22nd Sept gone and all.

These are the festivals (usually, I believe, they are in autumn, then later around Christmas, in spring and again in summer) which happen every year, once in a while, there are special activities in the main points of the country (like Shire - resp. usually Hobbitton and/or Michel Delving, Duillond, Thorin's Gate, Bree, or in winter in the sort of special city; now that's just speaking from personal experience) and you can win special festival prizes and stuff (like horses, weird artifacts, clothing, and so forth - my main character learned to dance a lot of really nice dances also there, for instance. You can also join all the drinking-guilds, doing all the "opening quests" is a lot of fun, I have enjoyed it a lot the last year in the autumn). Sometimes they might have something special, I don't know what special stuff is there this year... gotta check.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #234
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Haven't done much in the festivals, except for the Yule one last winter. That was awesome. I hope they have the theater again, because you get to participate in a play. By participate, I mean stand on stage and constantly flirt with the audience.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #235
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Haven't done much in the festivals, except for the Yule one last winter. That was awesome. I hope they have the theater again, because you get to participate in a play. By participate, I mean stand on stage and constantly flirt with the audience.
I played a while ago and the Yule festival was the best part of it. I might reactivate my account just so I can get drunk on food again and stagger around the town.

I wish I had thought to find out who on here played. Maybe I would have had more fun.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #236
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

I think we should probably do a kinship moot at some point during it.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #237
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I think we should probably do a kinship moot at some point during it.
Indeed, that sounds like a good idea. If we could come up with some good time for meeting, that'd be great.

And I definitely agree that the Frostbluff theatre last winter was one of the best things I've experienced in there The Mad Baggins play was just brilliant even by itself - the idea was really commendable, and very canonical, too! (Just for those who don't know - there was this theatre play describing The Long-Expected Party and Bilbo's disappearance, but from the "realistic point of view of the public" - i.e. Gandalf and The Evil Dwarf being the villains who make Bilbo disappear Great stuff.)

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 10-20-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #238
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

A moot would have to be during the weekend for me.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #239
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

So what day and time would people be able to make it?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #240
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

I'll be around intermittently throughout tomorrow and in the afternoon/evening (US time) on Sunday.