Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2002, 11:15 PM   #321
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Leave for a week or two and you miss alot. I promise to get back on the ball. Dwarin and Kalohern post coming soon! As soon as I catch up
Old 10-12-2002, 09:10 AM   #322
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

A post! A post! Thank you Dwarin and a nice job to boot. Now, if I judge aright, our players are thus (and please correct me if I miss anyone):

Thenamir, Dwarin, GreatWarg, shieldmaiden, Rimbaud, Estelyn, OneWhiteTree, Ransom, Leighlei, Bethberry, BarrowWight, Gandalf the Grey.

The final quartet of that list have either not posted, or not posted for a while. They are welcome and invited to join/rejoin at any time, of course. Of the remaining regulars, I would estimate that Thenamir and OneWhiteTree should post next, if possible for either. Dwarin has a point when he talks of time-line shuffling, they may be some need of that. I am ready to add my paltry offering when the time appears suitable.

In hope,

Rimbaud.

PS There seems to be a little bit of spring-cleaning needed at the end of the RPG at the moment. [Edit: This has been done, thanks.]

PPS In no way is this comment on you Thena, I am only too aware of your other obligations.

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: Rimbaud ]
Old 10-12-2002, 10:58 AM   #323
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I hope to be emailing my character suggestions to Thenamir sometime this weekend, but it is a holiday weekend here, and there is a strong likelihood that I shall have to make a sudden flight west for family reasons. I'll do my best.

Gandalf the Grey, please feel free to take either Borleg or Ulfwine.

Very much looking forward to posting with all of you here,

Bethberry

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 10-12-2002, 06:31 PM   #324
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bethberry:

Firstly, Happy Thanksgiving Weekend! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]Second, if it turns out that you must travel, you'll be missed, but also wished a good journey and safe return. * bows * Thirdly, I look forward to seeing what sort of character you come up with. I shall choose Borleg.

Thenamir:

I would prefer to take on the character of Borleg, if that is all right with you.

Rimbaud:

Present and accounted for, good sir. I look forward to our shared adventures in the realm of Rohan. * bows *

At your Service,

~~ Gandalf the Grey

[ October 12, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 10-14-2002, 04:24 PM   #325
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Gandalf, you are welcome to Borleg, be sure to read the latest post regarding his current role -- right now he and his men are watching the ruins of Tharbad from a hidden place on a crest not far from the location. His current mission from Saruman is to keep watch and send messages back to Saruman about *anything* that happens there. He has been warned about the approaching band, but the "you-will-know-what-to do" instructions are left purposefully vague for now. The reader can guess (and so can I, becuase I have not quite fleshed that plot point out yet...<grin>) -- it will probably get played out when we arrive.

To all the rest -- Saruman is working on you, though you do not know it yet. Even elwood might be hard-pressed to detect this one...before it's too late...bwahahahaha! Post to follow soon, revealing the insidious plot advancement. This is one subtle wizard...

Thanks, Dwarin, for reviving the thread yet again -- I've been a bit dazed by the Audience with the King thread, and helping young and under-experienced RP wannabees hone their skills. Careful of that spear, though, Dwarin...it might be more than you expect...

Once more unto the breach, dear friends!

Thenamir of Rohan
Proprietor of the Edoras Second-hand bookshop.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:05 AM   #326
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Question: Where, approximately, are we? I'm not sure how we've moved recently. Some geography would be great. Thenamir, did you have a strong idea of where we were or can I take liberties, within the borders of Rohan?

Thanks,

Rimbaud
Chairman of the Rhovanion "In Vino Veritas" Bridge Club, and Sole Surviving Member
Old 10-15-2002, 10:45 PM   #327
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

GandalfTheGrey -- a *suberb* first post! You have grasped the character and motivations of Borleg quite well. (Do bear in mind that he and Thenamir still have scores to settle from way back on page two. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

As for the rest of you, "Birnam Wood has come to Dunsinane!" to quote Shakespeare. Are you too stupored from Saruman's sinister sleep to stop the encircling sticks? Trounce the triumphant trees? Even if you could communicate with them, how will you explain their brothers so brutally burnt by your behest? Think quickly 'ere the petulant pines and boisterous beeches and somnambulant spruce grind your party into mulch.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 10-15-2002, 11:07 PM   #328
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Thank you, Thenamir.

I will continue to strive towards carrying on the long tradition of quality envisioned by those who have gone before, and those who continue resolute, in this renowned Rohan adventure. * bows *

As for Thenamir the Gondorian, bring him on! Borleg will face him.

A fellow fan of Macbeth and the Bard, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey
Old 10-16-2002, 01:26 PM   #329
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Another sterling post, Rim. Question: are you playing the Ent, or is he open to interpretation from each?

Perhaps here is where Arenia can come to the fore -- being a child of the forest for so long on her own, perhaps the old Ent would recognize her.

Other plot points and sub points for consideration and possible incorporation into our tale-told-by-committee:
  • Kalohern seems to be taking an interest in Arenia...could "Baranthol" be a bit jealous?
  • Dwarin could be in the deep stuff with the Huorns for making that spear
  • Having been in such close quarters for a bit, has anyone discovered Baranthol's secret?
  • Please please please if you have other ideas for directions, come forward!

Moving along well, keep up the good work.

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Thenamir ]
Old 10-16-2002, 01:46 PM   #330
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Thrashed out some geography in chat. Tharbad is along the River Greyflood at the same latitude as Dol Guldur, just before the river forks off towards Moria and Rivendell.

As far as I know, we are in the southern tip of Fangorn.

The Ent is open to interpretation unless anyone wants me to write the next post as well.

I do think we should leave the forest soon, and encounter Bethberry's character, either within or without. Areina may well be very useful. The tension over the fire is a good suggestion.

As I say, if nobody wants to write that scene, give me some time and I will, but it seems to me that it is the turn of others. Esty has promised a Taradan update soon, which is great.

Let's keep on keeping on!

Rimbaud
He whose self-he-bakes is toast.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:42 PM   #331
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

FYI, here is the character I sent Thenamir, Ćlfritha. I had assumed that you were going to the elven ruins of Ost-in-Edhil, and that Tharbad is a town of some size, since Tharbad is populated in LOTR. Thus, I thought she could live around there and you guys could catch up with her family there after you cross through the Gap of Rohan.

However, it might be difficult to work this in. For the time being, I will carry Ulfwine, although I would want to make his "conversion" much more troublesome. I assume that his defection is now known to the Dunlendings, so his family is at risk. Are they going to be slaughtered in retaliation?

Men of the Mark, here's Ćlfritha:

She's created for Rohan, thinking about Rimbaud's comment that a strong woman character is needed. I wanted to avoid of course the three types you already have, the young innocent used unexpectedly as a spy or conduit, the old crone, and the cross-dresser. And before you start cracking jokes about girls and horses, I figure I should tell you that the idea of her came from a woman who is a horse trainer my brother hired for his horses in western Canada. Name comes from AĆlfthryth, second wife of King Eadgar and mother of Aethelred the Unready, but with no intention of picking up any historical allusions.

Ćlfritha is late twenties or thirty-something. She is fit physically and well-controlled emotionally, psychologically. She is a major partner, along with a much younger brother, in the family enterprise of horse training and breeding, her parents being elderly. When very young as a child, the family fled Rohan to escape the brigands and its perpetual instability by traveling through the Gap of Rohan into Eriador; there could have been the cruel murders of her younger siblings, maybe a decimation of the village, which prompted this migration and which would allow for her to help run the family's work. (I cannot clearly find evidence in Tolkien to support such migration, but this is plausible it seems to me.) They established themselves somewhere around Tharbad as a family of talented horsemen, good breeders and trainers and smiths, even vets. (I'm assuming that such partial specialization would have existed back then.) As Rohirrim, they did not easily assimilate socially into the local culture, though. Ćlfritha's defensive shell also isolated her socially from others and she has become the kind of person who is shy or uncomfortable with social chit chat but who communicates well on a business level. Sharp but not a diplomat.

Social isolation drew her into closer understanding with animals and she grew to be an excellent and skilled horsewoman, known for her ability to break problem horses and handle illnesses. From her deep understanding of horses, she has come to look skeptically if not with jaundice and short patience on those who cannot handle them or who do so through brutal means.

The relative peace of Eriador, compared to Rohan, has turned her family into something like pacifists. They haven't appreciated the work of the Rangers. An as yet unspecified event shakes her of this false sense of security and she rediscovers her Rohirrim roots, so to speak. This would be her dramatic turning point. She never becomes a raging warrior driven by hate and vengeance, for her connection with horses, with animals, grounds her firmly in a deep respect for life, but she comes to acknowledge the need for war and defense against the forces of evil. (Think of a liberal who comes round to understanding Bush is right?)

Physically, she is strong and fit because of her work with horses. Her skin is tanned, maybe even weatherbeaten from years of working outside and she could well have the rough hands and dry lines of the outdoors, as well as a few strands of grey if she is late thirties. She is self-disciplined rather than hardened or rough, not a tough cookie so much as skeptical and wary/untrusting. And edge to her humour as a way of distancing herself when she begins to feel out of control or uncomfortable with people.

What can she provide the group? Well, you gys are down to three horses and you are riding them hard. Barter some from her family, the local horse traders and breeders. She will be familiar with the land around Tharbar through the horse trading her family engaged in. A scout. Or perhaps her younger brother will be scout initially, her family will provide some shelter for the rag tag band of Rohirrim, maybe new horses (could there be a relational link with someone in the band or is this too implausible?), and his loss will force her into the band. She will provide sober second thoughts in terms of strategy.

And, Gandalf the Grey, wonderful work on Borleg! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry,

Backbench Tippler,
Rohirrim Parliamentary Pub

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 10-17-2002, 03:54 AM   #332
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Rim, that post was fantastic - I held my breath reading it! How wonderful to have an Ent show up! His humor is a welcome lighter touch after so much serious loss.

Bethberry, your character is great - you did such a good job of creating someone to fit into the story and add an interesting element. I look forward to meeting her!

Andros/Taradan post is up; I assume we are some distance behind the rest of you and will follow through the Gap of Rohan, since there seems to be no other way near our location. We will be finding traces of you, but not be able to catch up for quite awhile yet.

Estelyn, Vice-President of the Rohan Separatist Movement
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-17-2002, 07:32 AM   #333
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Quote:
Estelyn, Vice-President of the Rohan Separatist Movement

Edit: recently, I have mislaid my manners. Very nice first post Gandalf, good to have you on board. Nice work from everyone else, as expected. I have re-edited my last effort, hopefully clarifying some misunderstandings that Bethberry kindly pointed out for me. In addition, Bb has volunteered to take on our new Entish acquaintance, and in the seeming absence of Leighlei, will write the scene between Areina and the Shepherd of the Trees. Thanks, beth.

Taradan's torments continue apace, behind us. Esty, as I mentioned, it might make your part in things more interesting for you to write should Taradan get caught up in something that brings him to Tharbad through other ways than simply travelling behind us. You are welcome to PM me to discuss this if you want, of course.

Thenamir, what a great obstacle you set up for us, and I apologise for 'cheating' in escaping it!

Seems to me that Ost-en-Edhil and Tharbad are distinct places.

Rimbaud
Participant in World's First Cordless Bungee-Jump and subsequently Participant in the First Successful Monkey-to-Human Brain-Transplant.

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Rimbaud ]
Old 10-17-2002, 03:07 PM   #334
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Having been in such close quarters for a bit, has anyone discovered Baranthol's secret?
In one od last Theodred's posts he wrote that Taradan began to suspect if Baranthol was really a man. Estelyn could use that if she wants to.
I have an idea. Maybe some time in the future real Baranthol could show up and cause some fuss (like Viola and Alberto in Shakespeare's drama "The Twelfth (sp?) Night").
Old 10-17-2002, 03:19 PM   #335
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Hi shieldmaiden, good to see you still around. A Haleth/Baranthol post would be great, if you have the time!
Old 10-18-2002, 04:40 AM   #336
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

OK, I’m researching background information on our location and goal. I looked up the names of the cities we are headed for in Foster’s Guide; here is what it says:

Tharbad – City in southern Eriador at the meeting of the Glanduin and Mitheithel. The Old South Road crossed the Mitheithel at a ford here. In TA 2912 Tharbad was ruined by great floods and deserted.

Ost-in-Edhil – The city of the Gwaith-I-Mirdain in Eregion, destroyed in SA 1697 during the War of the Elves and Sauron.

So obviously, those are two separate cities.

A search on the site showed this information (B-W): Tharbad was a harbor built by the Numenoreans. It was used by them for Millenia as they plundered the ancient forests of Eriador for lumber for their great fleets. It was destroyed by great floods and abandoned.

If I understand rightly, our ultimate goal is Ost-in-Edhil, I’m confused by the references to Tharbad. The map I found shows both cities. (I would recommend that we all bookmark this map to keep an eye on our route.) Ost-in-Edhil is on the Glanduin, east of Tharbad, so going to the latter would be taking a detour. Is there a reason for that? Also, as I see it, if we are in Fangorn and going through the Gap of Rohan, which sounds like the best possibility to get past the mountains, then we should be going south, not north.

Now I don’t remember if the rest of you specifically said that you are heading north, but my Taradan/Andros post said that. So I either edit my post, or I take another way over/through the mountains. Have we specified a time of year? Apparently it’s not winter, so maybe I have a good chance; we could perhaps go via Caradhras or take some nameless pass or mountain path known only to the Rangers. If there are no objections, that is what I will do. We do, however, need to clear up the confusion about Tharbad and Ost-in-Edhil before carrying on our journey!

P.S. - Here is Malbeth's prophecy for me today:
Quote:
Look not to coyotes or Woses for an example to follow. Watch the folk of Rhovanion instead.*
OK, I'm looking for those shining examples right here! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-18-2002, 01:03 PM   #337
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Nice detective work, Esty, and thank you for finding that map -- I could not find one. It seems to contradict some of the information I have received (or possibly misinterpreted) previously about the locations.

This means that I will have to do some creative editing of some of the older posts in the story, once I find out (a) Where Gilthalion is (!!!) and (b) which way he meant for us to go.

Thenamir of Rohan
Owner of "Six Flags Over Gondor", Middle-Earth's first theme park
Old 10-18-2002, 02:38 PM   #338
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

OK, my latest post is up. Not as exciting or flowery as Rimbaud, but it will have to do.

I expect that Elwood, friend and protector of the trees, is not as affected by the malice-of-the-maples, and may get a pass from the new Ent. But the rest of us are in deep bark-mulch with this crowd, including GreatWarg, since Wargs are usually found in the company of orcs (guilt by association). Remember Sarumman is known to them, and they regard him as an ally, especially since they think that Saruman provided the rain to help end the fire. We are on trial, my friends, and perhaps only the word of the elf can redeem us.

Thenamir is only human, and perhaps could be forgiven for his lapse into terrified madness. I'm just providing the hooks to hang further posts upon. Having carried the storyline for so long, I'm taking a short break. I'll still post, but I'm going to quit driving for a bit and let some of you take it in new directions (subject to approval). Saruman is not done with us yet, but this should keep us busy for a bit.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:13 PM   #339
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Thena, nice post.

That's fine and understandable. We've discussed much in chat and have made some decisions, at least for the immediate future. Esty or I will lay the outline down here when we have it agreed.

More to come...
Old 10-19-2002, 04:02 AM   #340
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Very understandable, Thenamir – you have kept this RPG alive by sheer willpower for such a long time that you deserve a break! Several of us have brainstormed ideas on chat; here is what we have come up with:

List of characters and players –
Taradan and Andros – Estelyn (separated from the others, farther north; they will probably take Redhorn Gate across the mountains.

Guthrin – Rimbaud (will take off on his own, necessitating rescue, thus separating the group)

Elwood – Rimbaud
Volkmar – Ransom (Are you still playing, Ransom?)
Kalohern – Dwarin
Arenia – Leighlei (Are you still with us, Leighlei?)
Khelek - Great Warg

This group will go after Guthrin, taking a more northerly route over the mountains. Volkmar’s tracking ability as a Ranger is needed, and Elwood is along to make sure he can be trusted, since the Ranger is a stranger to the group as yet. Arenia will help with her knowledge of life in the wilderness, and Kalohern volunteers – well, we have realized that he wants to be where she is! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] This is his chance to prove his mettle. Khelek goes with them to scout; since he can only communicate with Elwood, it’s best to keep them together.

Thenamir – Thenamir
Dwarin – Dwarin
Haleth/Baranthol – shieldmaiden
Gurthden – Kate/onewhitetree
Ulfwine – Bethberry
The Ent – Bethberry (temporary character, will rescue all and lead this party out of Fangorn, but has to be convinced of the good cause first)

The main group is headed south for the Gap of Rohan, the usual passage to the lands west of the mountains. Whether or not they can go that way depends on what Saruman does – Orthanc is very close! We should move through the wilderness when we get beyond the mountains, avoiding cities and large settlements. Aelfritha, Bethberry’s new character, lives there somewhere and the main group will stock up on horses with her joining them when they get there.

Last but certainly not least, the only enemy that is being played by someone right now –

Borleg – Gandalf the Grey

If the Barrow-Wight wants to join at some time, playing one of the bad guys as an additional character would seem the best idea. Should we encourage someone to join in to play more enemy character(s)?

This should give us some impetus for awhile; questions and suggestions are welcome!

Estelyn
Rhovanion Travel Agency
‘Let us plan your next business or vacation trip!’
Old 10-19-2002, 09:55 AM   #341
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Now that I've had the pleasure to speak with some of you in chat last night and this morning ... I'd name you all but am not sure if you want the notoriety ... * good-natured grin * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ... I hereby decree my willingness to take on an additional villainous character or characters, along with continuing to portray Borleg. I've decided upon one of these villains, but would rather keep the details secret, as to my mind, surprise can be much more fun.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 10-19-2002, 12:58 PM   #342
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Esty, you are a gem! That all looks perfect. Good work. GtG, likewise, am looking forward to some devilish plans from you. New villains sound good and necessary. There are of course, enemies abroad not under the fief of Orthanc...and some of the greatest perils lie within us...
Old 10-21-2002, 10:37 PM   #343
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Cameo of Ent and Arenia up. Parting is such sweet sweating. I put some words in Thenamir's mouth, Thenamir. I hope they're appropriate ones.

I thought the post long enough and so didn't incorporate anything for Elwood or Warg, but I'll consider tenders.

Bethberry,
Rohan Green Party
Old 10-21-2002, 11:37 PM   #344
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Bethberry, I could not have asked for a finer first post. May it be the harbinger of many more to follow!

The only thing I would do is to alter the italics to make them into regular quotes, so that they match the rest of the story as written so far. Other than that one extremely tiny nit-pick, a rare and excellent post!
Old 10-22-2002, 11:33 AM   #345
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

Quote:
Volkar the Ranger would guide the north group, under the eye of Elwood, with Kalohern and Arenia, Guthrin if he could be persuaded to stay with them.

Thenamir would take a second group south, under the auspices of the Tree Shepherd. Dwarin the dwarf, Barandol, Ulfwine the Defector and Guthren would travel to the foothills near Wellinghall..
Bethberry, you have now been officially initiated into the Rohan group, for you have committed the Celebratory Error. By confusing the names of Guthrin and Gurthden, you are now officially one of us.

I'm assuming that Guthrin (the angst-ridden former coward) if going north in the first group, and Gurthden is going with Thenamir's group. Either way, please edit your post accordingly. Thanks!

Thenamir of Rohan
Recently named by the Edoras Daily Gazette
to the 10 Best-Dressed Rohirrim list.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:56 AM   #346
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Heh. So, I've made my bones, eh, Thena? Actually, I am editting as you post. I've gone over the geography and figured out how to have all travel with Treetop to Wellingham, where the split into groups will occur. This will allow for some more fun in Fangorn Forest, a leave-taking scene between Treetop and Arenia, and more hassles with that problem kid, Guthrin. Esty and I now concur that we are somewhere around Derndingle rather than Treebeard's hill.

I am so happy I have my own copy of Fonstad.

Pledging from now on to c&p all chat discussions,

Bb
Old 10-22-2002, 08:28 PM   #347
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

I know I said I was going to post tonight, and I apologize, but something came up and it ate my RPG time. 'll add ASAP. Feel free to continue with the plot, or not, as the case may be, because I plan on focusing more on interpersonal relations than progress of quest.

Well, I'M BACK.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:44 PM   #348
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

Hanging in here. Sorry I haven't been posting that much. C.S. Lewis and mitochandra eat up my time like hungry hamsters. I'll try to get a pust up before tonight!

-Ransom
Old 10-26-2002, 10:50 AM   #349
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Nice to see you posting again, Ransom! Good job! The next Taradan post is up - let's get this show back on the road!

Estelyn
Rockin' Rohan Roadie
Old 10-26-2002, 11:53 AM   #350
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Indeed, it's good to see our adventures proceeding apace in so worthy a manner, and I look forward to much more of the same from such a talented crew. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I also will soon make another appearance into the fray. Am currently in the process of a little behind-the-scenes brainstorming / collaboration, as well as enjoying reading through all that's being presented as the story continues to unfold.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 10-28-2002, 09:18 AM   #351
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Apologies for my absence and inexcusable lack of posts, of late. I shall endeavour to rectify this grimmest of affairs. Bear with me, I am entombed in the BarrowDesk.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:16 PM   #352
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Pipe

Ok folks sorry for my lack of contribution. Two, count em TWO new posts are up. One is in the place of my spear post. Rimbaud was kind enough to tack my spear post onto one of his old ones. This fixes the timeline problem.

My second post is at the end where new posts usually are.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:23 PM   #353
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

The final Ent post is up, containing more Ent/Arenia interaction, to honour Esty's wishes.

Dwarin, I have tried to include Kelohern as you wished. I hope this suits him. And now that the ent is out of the way, Arenia is exclusively yours once again. Thanks for letting me use her.

Bethberry
Old 11-03-2002, 12:32 AM   #354
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Pipe

Nice post Bethberry! God job. The kalohern interaction is perfect. I have been writing for Arenia as of late but I never intended to take over the character. See, me being a guy I feel a bit akward writing a one sided love story. Especially from somone not very experienced in the field. I was hoping one of you ladies could take over her charachter. If you've noticed I've written everything from the point of view of Kalohern. Mainly because I have absolutely no clue how the female mind would work in a situation like that. I don't think any guy has figured out any of that sort of thing anyway. I guess what I'm trying to say is HELP! I am in unframiliar waters. I don't got no clue where to go. My ship is sinking fast. My rudder is broken. The crew has mutanied and started doing ballet. My sails are on backwards. My compass abandoned ship. It's a cloudy night outside (north star reference). My mast has been torn down. There's a hole in the bottom of my raft. The water is a little to close for comfort. I'm sailing a certain big boat and there's an iceberg dead ahead!Get my drift?

Shieldmaiden? Kate? Esty? Bethberry? Leghlei? Liv Tyler?

(ok maybe it's not as bad as all that but I am rather at a disadvantage writing without a female counterpart.)
Old 11-05-2002, 02:07 PM   #355
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Hail Rimbaud:

Question: Do you envision the wolves in your post as being the same ones as those in my post heard by Taradan and Andros, spooked perhaps in your direction? Or are your wolves a separate and unrelated pack? I ask because the wolves in my post are a precursor to a fell character who sometime in the near future will be encountering Taradan and Andros up by the mountain pass at Caradhras (by previous arrangement between the good Esty and myself! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) Do you have plans for my character to be meeting up with any of yours as well? Please feel free to send me a PM on the topic if you like. A PM might be especially helpful since I haven't unveiled what sort of character I've planned for the Redhorn Gate, wavering as I am between presenting the character via conspicuous backstory or suspenseful hints ... (and am kinda hoping that meanwhile we're not both separately coming up with the same idea at the same time, especially given that this villain of mine is the only character I have available to play right now!) In any case, I would gladly welcome story collaboration with you if you so wish.

... Meanwhile, am enjoying everyone's finely crafted story installments. * bows *

Gandalf the Grey

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 11-12-2002, 12:44 PM   #356
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

Gandalf, I think we straightened that out in PM, if not, feel free to contact me via that route again. In the meantime, the writers of Rohan appear to have come down with a severe case of silent-itis. Guthrin's disappearance should spark some reaction!

Kate, I'm sorry to have left Gurthden in the lurch, but I had thought I had forewarned you. If you do not have a chance, I can always change who is left on guard at that time.

I'll continue to post, as Elwood, until the members of the party that follow Guthrin, overtake him, and the exposition into his vanishing act is given.

~ The Perilous Poet

[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: Rimbaud ]
Old 11-12-2002, 02:13 PM   #357
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Well, the Ent was a cameo and he's gone, and Leighlei is back to do Arenia, so I'm twiddling my thumbs until the south group gets over the mountain and can meet up with Ćlfritha. I don't see Ulfwine doing something assertive here but I am open to persuasion on that. It seems to me the momentum right now is on Gurthden and Guthrin, unless we can get Thenamir to take charge and send a group after Guthrin. I can also imagine Arenia organizing a group to go after Guthrin, but I'm not sure that Leighlei posts here on the discussion thread to hash that out.

Bethberry,
Marking time *coughs*

[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 11-12-2002, 02:49 PM   #358
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Pipe

I agree. I am willing to change the plot-line in my last post to not leave the onus squarely (and a little unfairly) on the Katester, if that is considered a good idea. We're not short of other characters who could have been on the watch that night. I would write it in as Elwood, except that I take over too much of the story as it is, and would rather others enjoy some writing time!

We have a great situation to write from.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:54 PM   #359
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Sting

LAdeeez And Gentlemen, Children of All Ages!

Thenamir is returning!

To be honest, I thought I'd never get caught up with all the balderdash that goes into keeping the Barrow Treasures Store running smoothly. I had data on sales and buyers and suppliers and whatnot in several disparate locations, and have spent most of the last two months of spare time trying to get it all into a single database. TA-DA! It's done! It now requires much less of my time to keep it updated, which means I have more time to post in Rohan. (AAWTK suffered because of it, tho, much to my chagrin...)

At any rate, I have read and kept up to date as promised, and am willing to raise the alarm and go after Guthrin if need be. Could one of you please let me know by PM, e-mail, or chat, what you seem to have worked out so that I'll not ruin your plans in my next post? Thanks!

Thenamir of Rohan
Author of "101 Uses For A Dead Horse",
4 weeks on the Edoras Times Best-Seller List
Old 11-13-2002, 09:02 AM   #360
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Thenamir, nice to have our group's leader back in the saddle again! We need an expository post to get things moving, and you're the very one for the job. For a summary of the group split, see my above post, Oct. 19. Thenamir should send those people after Guthrin; the reasons for the choices are in that post.

Writers of Rohan arise!
Forth Eorlingas!