The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Arwen vs. Galadriel

Two beautiful Elven ladies-

Éomer chose Arwen, Gimli chose Galadriel.

Who would you say is fairest? (Keep your axes at home!)
Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
After I see them I'll let you know.
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghazi View Post
After I see them I'll let you know.
Lol!

Well, movie wise, Galadriel. In the books, probably Arwen, because I like Eomer better than Gimli. Actually, I think that dark hair is very beautiful, so, yeh.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Movie-wise, I'll say Arwen. There was one part in the film where she was particularly beautiful: in the "Fellowship", when Aragorn was replacing the shards of Narsil and Arwen walked in to comfort and advise him.

That maturity reflected her age and (certainly) her accumulated wisdom from such a long life. For the rest of the trilogy, she sat around on a couch, brooding and crying, unfortunately. But that part with Aragorn, somehow, made her incredibly beautiful.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:01 AM   #5
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien

In the movies: Deffinitly Galadriel. . .

In the books: GALADRIEL ! ! ! I am like Gimli here. . .if anyone says a anything against me beloved Galadriel, then I shall hunt them down and make them eat their own words.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
In the movies: Deffinitly Galadriel. . .

In the books: GALADRIEL ! ! ! I am like Gimli here. . .if anyone says a anything against me beloved Galadriel, then I shall hunt them down and make them eat their own words.
Now Rune, even Gimli, he of the "Three Hairs", had to concede that Eomer had a point when the latter pointed out that Galadriel, when seen in Arwen's company, had to take second place.

So as far as the books go - Arwen, though given how unusually beautiful Galadriel's hair colour is said to be (gold with silvery highlights as if it had trapped the light of the Two Trees ) she might stake a claim to having the world's most beautiful hair.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
A topic for the guys

Movie-wise I was annoyed by Arwen, especially in the 'ranger caught off his' --- no I won't say it! Book wise, Arwen was a bit of a sook who really only made a banner and sacrificed her immortality (pfft, anyone can do that ) Galadriel, however, was a butt-kicking, intelligent, powerful temptress, who could rebel against the Valar and woo dwarves! The latter being the more impressive and sacrificial...

Anywho, Galadriel all the way.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Arwen's beauty is akin to Luthien's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Many Meetings, FotR
So it was that Frodo saw her whom few mortals had yet seen; Arwen, daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the likeness of Luthien had come on earth again; and she was called Undomiel, for she was the Evenstar of her people.
while Galadriel is simply described as beautiful
Quote:
Originally Posted by The mirror of Galadriel, FotR
Very tall they were, and the Lady no less tall than the Lord; and they were grave and beautiful.
True enough, the Silmarillion mentions Galadriel as the most beautiful of all the house of Finwe.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard View Post
Movie-wise I was annoyed by Arwen, especially in the 'ranger caught off his' --- no I won't say it! Book wise, Arwen was a bit of a sook who really only made a banner and sacrificed her immortality (pfft, anyone can do that ) Galadriel, however, was a butt-kicking, intelligent, powerful temptress, who could rebel against the Valar and woo dwarves! The latter being the more impressive and sacrificial...

Anywho, Galadriel all the way.
For the first part, I agree with you entirely.

As to the second part, at least half of it was false. (Butt-kicking? Wooing Dwarves?) Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(even though that many exclaimation points in a row are gramatically incorrect...)

Not to make an arguement of it, you are free to have your own opinions, Galadriel didn't do much more than Arwen in the LotR, and mostly what she did in the Silm was act like a silly adventure seeker who wanted to see new lands. ( I realise this may sound mean, but don't take it that way. Galadriel's is cool, and I'm not even totally sure which I like better, Arwen or Galariel.)

On an other hand, mayby not THE other hand, I also understand that you may not have been entirely serious when you wrote that, or you may have been a very small amount sarcastic( and I don't mean that sarcasticly(sp))

Am I making myself at all clear? I always feel as if I sound ticked off or fault finding when I write these kinds of posts, while that's not at all how I mean them. I just happen to like silly little debates about nothing.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:33 AM   #10
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Movie-wise, I'll say Arwen. There was one part in the film where she was particularly beautiful: in the "Fellowship", when Aragorn was replacing the shards of Narsil and Arwen walked in to comfort and advise him.

That maturity reflected her age and (certainly) her accumulated wisdom from such a long life. For the rest of the trilogy, she sat around on a couch, brooding and crying, unfortunately. But that part with Aragorn, somehow, made her incredibly beautiful.

I agree, though I think she's most beautiful either when the Fellowship are about to leave Rivendell, or when Aragorn has the flashback.

Last edited by Sir Kohran; 07-11-2007 at 04:57 AM.
Sir Kohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:40 AM   #11
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Quote:
But, as all happy endings go Eowyn finds her own boy toy Faramir.
Heheh, when some beautiful powerful elf comes along and steals your secret love, swallow your pride and go for his best man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas
On an other hand, mayby not THE other hand, I also understand that you may not have been entirely serious when you wrote that, or you may have been a very small amount sarcastic( and I don't mean that sarcasticly(sp))
Sarcastic? Moi? I'm never sarcastic, never...
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
Lollipop010900
Animated Skeleton

Lollipop010900 has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Arwen 4ever

I definatly think that Arwen is prettier, but Galadriel is fairest. Arwen has beautiful dark hair and dark blue eyes where Galadriel has blonde hair and pale eyes. They are both prety and i think Arwen is better because Galadriel just sits at home and does nothing where Arwen goes to Gondor and saves Frodo from the Nazgul (in the movie) Arwen 4ever
Old 04-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #13
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Galadriel, hands down. Even in the movies - I found Arwen to be rather bland, with little to no personality in her looks. Plus, Galadriel actually does stuff - a definite plus in attraction (at least to me).
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I agree with Gimli. (obviously! 55 times, even! )
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I agree with Gimli. (obviously! 55 times, even! )
Any particular reason you like the number 55?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post

I like it because you have a five after a five, and a five before a five.

Try getting the same with 44
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Because it's a whole number that comes after 54 and before 56, a multiple of 5 and 11, half of Nerwen's current age, five more than half a hundred, the number of bottles of beer on the wall after 1x45 of them have been "taken down and passed around"*...

ie, no particular reason.

*a very anoying song that goes "a hundred bottles of beer on the wall, a hundred bottles of beer! We take one down, pass it around, ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall! Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of beer! We take one down, pass it around..." I haven't yet met anyone who has gotten to 1.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM View Post
Two beautiful Elven ladies - Who would you say is fairest? (Keep your axes at home!)
Galadriel. From my 1st reading of Lord of the Rings I had a thing for Galadriel. That same reading gave me Arwen in the Appendices, and I thought her fair, but I never really had the connection.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote